BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Mar 18, 2005, 06:05 PM   #1
SpaceDaisy42
Mr. Moonlight

Send a message via AIM to SpaceDaisy42
Default Who Have You Met?

So when I was in high school, there was a "Family Fun Fair" at our local mall, and the advertisements for it said they were having The Mamas and The Papas. My best friend at the time went to it and found that while it was of course, not the originals, they were people John Phillips had chosen to replace each of the original members. One of these four people chosen was none other than Scott McKenzie. My friend called me freaking out when she found out and we went together to the second show they did. We knew all the songs and were singing along and the people around us were laughing at how these young girls were so into it. Scott looked like an old hippie, lol. But he was cool. Anyway, afterwards the group was signing autographs and all the other young girls were crowding around the younger, better looking guy and my friend and I were like waiting to get Scott McKenzie's autograph. When he came over to give one to each of us Julie asked him, "Hey you knew Derek Taylor right?" He just looked at us in surprise and smiled and then said sorta sadly, "Yeah, you know he died last fall right?" We said yes and made a little more small talk concerning Derek and thanked him for his autograph. He may not be a huge star, but it was a highlight moment for me. Heh, I mean seriously, this guy hung out at Apple! He KNEW Derek, and many other notable sixties figures!Not to mention the fact he recorded his one hit wonder of the 60's "If You're Going To San Francisco," penned by John Phillips if I am not mistaken. So, yeah. I have met various Christian rock artists that probably most people have never even heard of too, but this one was the best. So I wanna hear all of your stories about who you've met! Share, share!

"I have had to find one word to say what the man is. 'Brave' comes near, but it has too close a relationship with suffering and I have therefore concluded that, pirate as he is, he deserves the word 'bold' for he is, in truth, quite the boldest man I have ever met." - Derek Taylor, speaking of George in I Me Mine.

"I just remembered where my keys are, they're in the sink!" - Me, don't ask...
SpaceDaisy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 06:05 AM   #2
beatlemad
Taxman

I sort of met Kiefer Sutherland.When I say met he knocked into me in the street and said sorry.I say I met him anyway!
I met Alex McLeish who is a football (soccer) manager in Scotland but no one here has probably heard of him.
I also met Mike Scott, lead singer of the Waterboys, who again no one here has probably heard of!!
Old Mar 19, 2005, 06:44 AM   #3
EasternBird
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via MSN to EasternBird

I once met Max Weinberg (drummer for the E Street Band and Late Night with Conan O'Brien). He came to give a talk at my college, complete with lots of fun concert video and goofy Conan clips. It was fun!

Stop Worrying: A Tribute To HELP!
EasternBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 05:46 PM   #4
beatlelover45223

Cool

I have met Neil Armstrong(first man on the moon), I work in a hospital, one of my patients was nice enough to introduce me... all members of the The GrassRoots, The Buckinghams, a couple members of Procol Harum, Flo & Eddie from The Turtles... Wolfman Jack...Vickie Lawrence(Carol Burnett Show) several baseball players(they get their cars washed at the same place I do), I am waiting to run into Peter Frampton, he lives in the area...

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 01:44 AM   #5
Sally
Sgt. Pepper

I know Michael Palin, met him quite a few times and now we are on first name terms and swap the odd email, very nice guy and a good friend of Georges.
Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 03:11 PM   #6
Celebrian
Bulldog

Are we just talking musicians? Let's see:
Bob Dylan, Chris Cornell, Jerry Cantrell (of Alice in Chains), Mark Arm and Steve Turner of Mudhoney, Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters, Tom Morello and Brad Wilk of Rage Against the Machine, Michael Einziger and Brandon Boyd of Incubus, Metallica (sans Ullrich), Dave Navarro, and Fieldy of Korn.

I'm sure I've forgotten a few...
and life flows on within you and without you.
~Within You, Without You
Celebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 06:35 PM   #7
friar-park
Day Tripper

I shook hands with Harry Chapin after one of his concerts in Madison WI. One of the gals in our group got a kiss from him after she gave him a photo of his (Harry's) son asleep in a chair onstage at a concert she previously attended. We also went to a concert that one of Harry's brothers gave (I don't remember which brother,Tom comes to mind) and he talked with us for a few minutes before the concert as he waited for his cue to go onstage.
friar-park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 07:31 AM   #8
Jason Byzewski
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlemad
I sort of met Kiefer Sutherland.When I say met he knocked into me in the street and said sorry.
I brushed past Robin Williams walking down Robson St. in Vancouver, he was completely decked out in funky beach garb, hawaiian shirt, shorts, flip flops and shades.
Jason Byzewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:56 PM   #9
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Okay...well if we are talking about 'brushes with' ,lol. I brushed past Don Johnson....I wish I stopped him...still kicking myself
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 02:41 PM   #10
Hari's Chick

Smile

Two of the nicest people I've met (non Beatley types) were Arlo and Kenny Loggins. Kenny was speaking to a little kid who was ill and he took so much time out for the boy... it was really genuine and thoughtful. He seemed so kind. Arlo gave me a big bear hug which was awesome. He is an amazing hugger.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 08:05 PM   #11
MaccaTwst9
Mr. Moonlight

Send a message via AIM to MaccaTwst9 Send a message via Yahoo to MaccaTwst9

I met two people from Baywatch..
The guy who played Loggin and Yasmine Bleeth.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 08:27 PM   #12
LittleDarlin909
Paperback Writer

I met Tom Everett Scott and Julie Delpy when I was 10; my mother and I accidently wandered onto the set of *American Warewolf In Paris* and ruined a take I've also met Richard Simmons. . . twice. . . And then I had lunch with Orson Scott Card (author of *Ender's Game*) last year. Through my boyfriend's school connections, I've met John Mayer, Walter Beasly, Bradford Marsalis, Livingston Taylor (brother of James), and Frank Lipschitz (Blood, Sweat, and Tears). I've also seen brushed into William Shatner And then of course, I actually know Rusty Milner and Tim Lawter from the Marshall Tucker Band.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 04:17 AM   #13
HeyBeatle
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HeyBeatle Send a message via MSN to HeyBeatle

Let's see, I met the comedian Gallagher, I even went on stage and used sledge-o-matic. It was recorded so who knows I might be in his next video.

I met Robert Ulrich backstage at a tour of Chicago the musical, I was shadowing the stage managers. I also met Nana Visitor from Deep Space Nine, at that show.

I met Hanson this past summer at a fan club meet and greet. Zac and Taylor were really nice, unfortunately didn't get to talk to Isaac.

A few years ago I met The Moffatts, but that was just because they drew so few people to the concert that they had time to chat with everyone.

I've met a few other people. The best story to tell about meeting/knowing celebrities I know is my grandpa's story about his childhood.

He lived next to Johnny Unitas' cousin, and as he loves to joke he told Johnny Unitas he couldn't play football. Johnny was younger than the older boys so they told him to go away when he tried to join the football game. He was also tackled by some other famous football player in college. He's not a big football fan but he's still proud of those brushes with fame.

If toast always lands butter side down and cats always land on their feet. Then what happens when you strap toast to a cat and drop it.
HeyBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 05:48 AM   #14
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

As far as non-beatle people go i havent met really anyone but former Indians (now Giants, you lucky San Francisco people!) shortstop Omar Visquel. I have gotten a lot of autographs though cuz I write to celebs a lot....

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2005, 02:48 PM   #15
SandySunshine
Taxman

I've met the Merseybeats and Hank Marvin!!!

I do believe the Captain's trodden on my parrot!!!!!
SandySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote