BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Maia 66
Sun King

Default John on Jukebox Jury

What follows is a transcript from his June 22, 1963 appearance. It cracks me up how honest he was, how different he must have been from all pop stars before him! It's just so... John. And that's we love him!

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:35 PM   #2
Maia 66
Sun King

Song heard: So Much In Love - The Tymes

JOHN: "Uhh, I thought it was Rolf Harris at first. And then I thought, 'No, it's the Drifters.' And then it's just... you know. It's nobody."

(giggling from the panel)

JOHN: "I don't think it's a hit."

DAVID JACOBS: "You didn't like it?"

JOHN: "Well, it was alright, you know. The style was alright but it wasn't good enough in that idiom. (pause, then comically) Idiom?"

(laughter)

(John votes by holding up the MISS card)

Song heard: The Click Song - Miriam Makeba and the Belafonte Singers

JOHN: "It's nice you know... Not for that reason. Because, you know, these foreign records -- this kind of, you know, the language -- It just didn't go. It's quite nice actually, but if it was in English it'd mean even less."

(laughter)

JOHN: "It's intriguing because it's foreign, you know. But you can pick them out a mile away with all the gimmicks and all the different styles."

Song heard: Flamenco - Russ Conway

JOHN: "I like pianos and things, but not sort of pub pianos playing flamenco music, with 'click click.' It doesn't work, you know. It still sounds... It still sounds honky, you know. It doesn't sound anything like flamenco."

DAVID JACOBS: "Yeah."

JOHN: "He hasn't pinched the best bits of real Spanish music, I don't think. Sorry."

All I want is the truth

Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:40 PM   #3
Maia 66
Sun King

Song heard: Devil In Disguise - Elvis Presley

JOHN: "Well, you know, I used to go mad on Elvis, like all the groups, but not now. I don't like this. And I hate songs with 'walk' and 'talk' in it -- you know, those lyrics. She walks, she talks. I don't like that. And I don't like the double beat: doom-cha doom-cha, that bit. It's awful. (pause) Poor ol' Elvis."

(laughter)

BRUCE PROCHNIK: "Your heart bleeds for him."

JOHN: "Well, I've got all his early records and I keep playing them. He mustn't make another like this. But somebody said today he sounds like Bing Crosby now, and he does."

(laughter)

JOHN: "There'll be people writing in now. I know what they're saying (comically in a low, slow voice) 'What d'ya mean!?'"

(laughter)

JOHN: "I don't like him anymore."

KATIE BOYLE: "If he did sound like Bing Crosby, would it be bad?"

JOHN: "Well, for Elvis... yes."

(laughter)

Song heard: On Top Of Spaghetti - Tom Glaser

JOHN: "Oh. I can't stand these all-together-now records. I like the idea of one shouting and one answering, but not that. I prefer the recent Little Eva, Smokey-Locomotion, folks. But not that, you know. (describing the group-sing-a-long nature of Glaser's song) It's like an outing."

JOHN: "A coach trip."

Song heard: First Quarrel - Paul and Paula

JOHN: "Well, I like their first record (Hey Paula), because I like the octave singing -- her singing, you know, one above him. And it wasn't bad. I didn't buy it. And the second one, you know, wasn't worth bothering. And this.. this has 'Jim' in, you know. All these American records are always about Jim and Bobby and Alfred and all this."

(laughter)

JOHN: "I don't like it."

Song heard: Don't Ever Let Me Down - Julie Grant

JOHN: "Ahh, I can't think of a thing to say. At the beginning I thought, you know, 'Oh, it's one of those with an intro,' but the intro wasn't strong enough."

DAVID JACOBS: "Do you like girls records or not?"

JOHN: "Yeah, I like girl singers. I like Shirelles and Chiffons, you know. They're different. But I can't think of any girl in particular."

DAVID JACOBS: "But not that particular record."

JOHN: "No."

All I want is the truth

Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Maia 66
Sun King

lol ~ I didn't know until I found the You Tube vid that 'On Top of Spaghetti' was actually a recorded song that a real musician wrote! I just thought it was one of those childhood silly songs that got passed down through the generations... Was it actually a hit?

I looove what John said about the Flamenco song. He was dead-on. He was a bit harsh on Elvis, though, I thought... but I do get where he was coming from at the time.

All I want is the truth

Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:31 AM   #5
zipp

Thanks for that.

It's interesting when he says he doesn't like "all together now" type records and coach trips.

Only a few years later he sang on Paul's song and went on a magical coach trip!
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:34 AM   #6
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Question Are pop stars different since then ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
It cracks me up how honest he was, how different he must have been from all pop stars before him! It's just so... John. And that's we love him!

Great topic

I just had a quick read so far, but I will listen to the vids and comment it later on.

You say "how honest he was, how different he must have been from all pop stars before him"... do you think that pop stars nowadays are more honest since the Beatles/John Lennon ? Personally, I don't think so; John's honesty still stands out IMHO.

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp View Post
Only a few years later he sang on Paul's song and went on a magical coach trip!
heehee ~ I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
You say "how honest he was, how different he must have been from all pop stars before him"... do you think that pop stars nowadays are more honest since the Beatles/John Lennon ? Personally, I don't think so; John's honesty still stands out IMHO.
Pop stars are pretty much the same... rock stars tend to be much more honest. They called the Beatles a pop band at the time, but they were also among the first real rock stars.

All I want is the truth

Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:16 AM   #8
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Smile Devil in Disguise - Elvis Presley

JOHN: "Well, you know, I used to go mad on Elvis, like all the groups, but not now. I don't like this. And I hate songs with 'walk' and 'talk' in it -- you know, those lyrics. She walks, she talks. I don't like that. And I don't like the double beat: doom-cha doom-cha, that bit. It's awful. (pause) Poor ol' Elvis."

(laughter)

BRUCE PROCHNIK: "Your heart bleeds for him."

JOHN: "Well, I've got all his early records and I keep playing them. He mustn't make another like this. But somebody said today he sounds like Bing Crosby now, and he does."

(laughter)

JOHN: "There'll be people writing in now. I know what they're saying (comically in a low, slow voice) 'What d'ya mean!?'"

(laughter)

JOHN: "I don't like him anymore."

KATIE BOYLE: "If he did sound like Bing Crosby, would it be bad?"

JOHN: "Well, for Elvis... yes."

(laughter)

I was particularly interested in John's comment about Elvis. It's true that he is a bit harsh on him, especially when you know how much John was influenced by Elvis in his teenage years.

Though, he's not sooo wrong about Elvis sounding like Bing Crosby in some of his songs. Personally, I like "Devil in Disguise" (and the double-beat ), but I guess that John only liked the early records of Elvis, the true "rock'n'roll" and not so much the later, softer ballads he started to sing in the 60's. It's a matter of taste really, but I would found it boring if Elvis would have sounded like the Beatles, the Stones etc. in the 60's.

Still, John's comments made me smile, no matter if I entirely agree with him or not

Snoopy
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:54 AM   #9
J.Winston.L
Nowhere Man

I'm with John, I only like the early Sun recordings of Elvis.
I was to young to hear them (actually alive but a very young child) when they came out.
My introduction to Elvis was all those horrid movies he made in the 1960's and I didn't understand his popularity and I thought he was a geek.
J.Winston.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:57 AM   #10
J.Winston.L
Nowhere Man

Maia 66, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
Where did you get this info?
Is it on video anywhere?
Thanks again for posting this.
J.Winston.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:02 AM   #11
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Winston.L View Post
Is it on video anywhere?
Thanks again for posting this.
You are very welcome. I love crazy stuff like this, too.

I don't think there's any video of this show, but I have heard an audio... although, come to think of it, it may have been of when all four Fabs were on the show. Let me check and if I can find it, I'll post a link here.

All I want is the truth

Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:05 AM   #12
Maia 66
Sun King

By the way... I just checked The Beatles Bible entry on this appearance, and apparently John taped this show the day after the newspaper article came out about his beating the %^&* out of Bob Wooler.

All I want is the truth

Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:09 AM   #13
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Red face Flamenco - Russ Conway

JOHN: "I like pianos and things, but not sort of pub pianos playing flamenco music, with 'click click.' It doesn't work, you know. It still sounds... It still sounds honky, you know. It doesn't sound anything like flamenco."

JOHN: "He hasn't pinched the best bits of real Spanish music, I don't think. Sorry."

Oh well, it seems that John only used the "Miss"-card, didn't he ? .... and this is sooo typical John too; he never really liked any competitors...

Anyway; I found his judgement a bit hard on this record; doesn't sound "honky" to me... I like it... But of course, I'm not such an expert on pub-piano etc. as John was

Snoopy
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:24 AM   #14
Maia 66
Sun King

Here's the audio of the Beatles appearance on Jukebox Jury on December 7, 1963. John's as honest as ever... way ahead of the crowd, as always.

All I want is the truth