BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:43 PM   #1
BeatleNut9
Wild Honey Pie

Default Huge Research Project

Hello, Beatle Peedles!

I've been trying to start a huge research project for a while now, but the amount of tedious research is too intimidating for me to get anywhere...so I thought I'd ask for help. I'm just praying there's some people willing to help...we all know SO many facts we've accumulated over our years of fandom, but it's incredibly difficult trying to find all of this little information in reliable sources that I can reference!

I'm just going to post random things I need and hope to get replies...

Let's start with this: Can anyone find me sources that have the record for how many people actually were watching the 1st Ed Sullivan show appearance, how many homes had television sets in America at the time so that I can compare the population and the number of viewers, and the records for "no crime from 8:00-9:00" that stunned all of America's police? Thanks!
BeatleNut9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:50 PM   #2
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Pretty sure all that stuff is in Bruce Spizer's book 'The Beatles Are Coming!'...
http://beatle.net/beatles-are-coming/

Incredibly detailed info on the early American stuff. I've got it at home, I can look it up later.

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2012, 01:56 PM   #3
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Found this...

BEATLES SHOOT "J.R." AND NEARLY SMASH "M*A*S*H"!

The first Beatles-Sullivan show was watched by a staggering 40.5% of the nation. The second show attracted 39.2% of the US. Those two broadcasts top 1982's "Super Bowl XVI" (38.13%) and the legendary 1980 "Who Shot J.R.?" episode of "Dallas" (37.78%)

The only TV broadcast that has been viewed by a higher percentage of the U.S. population than the first two Beatles-Sullivan shows was the 1983 finale of "M*A*S*H" - which attracted 46.9%. However - unlike the two Sullivan shows which were regular-duration one-hour shows in a regularly-scheduled timeslot - the "M*A*S*H" finale was a special national TV event - a 150-minute TV movie special.

It is also noteworthy that "M*A*S*H" scored its 46.9% at a time when virtually 100% of U.S. households had a television. The Beatles' 40.5% and 39.2% were achieved from a smaller "TV universe" - a 1964 America where 8% of the households had no TV.

At... http://www.thefab40.com/ratingspr.html
Old Feb 08, 2012, 01:57 PM   #4
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

73 million plus is the figure I have always read for the first Sullivan show.
LMW28IF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2012, 02:04 PM   #5
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

The "crime" comment started out as a backhanded swipe at The Beatles. The later retraction in Newsweek was perhaps a swipe back, or at least tongue in cheek about a hipster without a tv set but with 4 new hubcaps.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/beatles.asp
Old Feb 08, 2012, 03:25 PM   #6
wallrus59
Bulldog

this place has a lot of info too.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/

gk.

wallrus59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2012, 05:55 PM   #7
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

From Spizer's book...

Over 73 million people watching. CBS received over 50,000 requests for tickets to the show, with only 1,500 getting in.

Spizer also goes over the myth about no crimes, but it's all on that Snopes link.

Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:56 AM   #8
BeatleNut9
Wild Honey Pie

You all are amazing. Thank you so much! I don't mind doing all of the research if I can have helpers narrow down where to look for each thing I'm searching for, just as you've done.

I'll continue to post little things and endlessly thank you all for being so generous! YAY! I appreciate it more than you know.

PS: Happy Ed Sullivan Show 1 Day, everybody!
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:30 AM   #9
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

If your project is focused on their visit US visit, get the Spizer book and save yourself a ton of time.

Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:27 AM   #10
BeatleNut9
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
If your project is focused on their visit US visit, get the Spizer book and save yourself a ton of time.
Unfortunately, it's not that focused...but thank you for the suggestion! I do have some of the Spizer books and will be pulling them out! :]
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:31 AM   #11
BeatleNut9
Wild Honey Pie

Okie Dokie...I found some inconsistent research online regarding the boys' IQs. I've heard John's was anywhere from 140-180, Paul's was anywhere from 120-175, George was at/around 165, and no one had said a word about Ringo that I could find. Does anyone have a reliable source that gives a certain number? Thanks!

I don't put much importance on people's IQ results, but since the world does, I'd like to know these numbers if that's possible...
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:45 PM   #12
Duke
Apple Scruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatleNut9 View Post
Okie Dokie...I found some inconsistent research online regarding the boys' IQs. I've heard John's was anywhere from 140-180, Paul's was anywhere from 120-175, George was at/around 165, and no one had said a word about Ringo that I could find.
None of the Beatles ever took an IQ test so those figures are irrelevant. I think you're pulling our legs.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2013, 10:06 AM   #13
BeatleNut9
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
None of the Beatles ever took an IQ test so those figures are irrelevant. I think you're pulling our legs.
I have no reason to pull anyone's leg. I'm asking about something that I've read. If it's not true, it's not my information to begin with. That's precisely why I'm asking about it & why I asked if anyone has a reliable source to help me out...

Last edited by BeatleNut9 : Jul 02, 2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 10:13 AM   #14
BeatleNut9
Wild Honey Pie

I've been overwhelmed with this project & still researching on my own, but I think I'm going to officially revive my quest. Hopefully I'll get this thread rolling again very soon. I appreciate anyone & everyone who wants to be helpful because I'll need it! Thanks in advance :]
Old Mar 04, 2014, 12:54 PM   #15
BeatleNut9
Wild Honey Pie

I forget what documentary I saw a year or two ago, but it had a wonderful little part where it mentioned how the boys helped their friends out when they made it big. I know one of them bought a grocery store for a friend, but I forget who did that for who…& I've forgotten the other 3 things too. If this sounds familiar & anyone has this information, I'd love to know again! In the meantime, I'm going to try to keep looking for that information again online. Also, if there's more, please add anything similar to the list! Thanks! :]

Last edited by BeatleNut9 : Mar 04, 2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2014, 08:37 PM   #16
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I don't know what documentary it was, but I know John bought a grocery store for Pete Shotton.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2014, 08:56 AM   #17
BeatleNut9
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
I don't know what documentary it was, but I know John bought a grocery store for Pete Shotton.
Awesome! Thank you very much for the confirmation! I'll try to find the source, no worries.

I also realized after I posted that, in "Lennon In America," it says John bought Mater's son Stan a service station. I think Ringo ended up buying someone some kind of salon after realizing that he would never have his own…things like that. I'd like as many examples of such generosity as possible from each of the guys. Didn't John buy Mimi a new home in the 70s? I forget where I read that too…probably Julia Baird's book.
Old Mar 06, 2014, 01:34 AM   #18
bassist groupie
Fool On The Hill

Location: In between a Buzzard and a Rickenbacker bass...heaven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatleNut9 View Post
Awesome! Thank you very much for the confirmation! I'll try to find the source, no worries.

I also realized after I posted that, in "Lennon In America," it says John bought Mater's son Stan a service station. I think Ringo ended up buying someone some kind of salon after realizing that he would never have his own…things like that. I'd like as many examples of such generosity as possible from each of the guys. Didn't John buy Mimi a new home in the 70s? I forget where I read that too…probably Julia Baird's book.
John bought a house in Poole in Dorset. You could see the house from regular tours, and the tour guides would always point it out. (I went having a mooch when I was on holiday in Weymouth!)

Paul bought his Dad his house in the Wirral, amongst many other things!

Do you want charitable things as well? George Harrison donated to the Palm House in Liverpool to make up for the fact he used to smash the windows when he was a kid! His donation is under the Material World foundation
bassist groupie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:33 PM   #19
SilverBeatle
Little Child

I remember John bought a house that his relatives lived in and Yoko sold it out from under them after he died.
SilverBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:52 AM   #20
BeatleNut9
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassist groupie View Post
John bought a house in Poole in Dorset. You could see the house from regular tours, and the tour guides would always point it out. (I went having a mooch when I was on holiday in Weymouth!)

Paul bought his Dad his house in the Wirral, amongst many other things!

Do you want charitable things as well? George Harrison donated to the Palm House in Liverpool to make up for the fact he used to smash the windows when he was a kid! His donation is under the Material World foundation
Yes! Charitable things count too! Thank you so much.