BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Jun 03, 2005, 06:33 PM   #1
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Question Jack FM??

Today both New York City and Chicago lost their FM oldies radio stations around 5pm or so... The station started playing a feed from "Jack FM--Playing What We Want." Apparently this has happened a number of times all over the US and Canada over the past year or so... Infinity Broadcasting dumps a local station and puts on this Jack FM feed permanently. They're describing it as "it's like putting your iPod on shuffle." They play 70s, 80s, 90s music, no DJs, very few commercials.

Personally I think it sucks--I liked listening to Oldies 104.3, and there were a lot of DJs on there that I liked hearing. It's just a little scary how these stations are suddenly taken over with no warning with a feed that is playing "what WE want." Who exactly is "we"??? It seems oddly Orwellian to me.

I figured I'd throw this into the ring for discussion. Thoughts?

http://www.jack.fm
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2005, 07:07 PM   #2
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

Send a message via AIM to ImaginePeace78 Send a message via Yahoo to ImaginePeace78

This morning I listened to Oldies 104.3 while getting ready for work. I enjoyed the morning show and a few songs they played. They focused on the 60s and 70s, while dipping into the 80s every now and then. I didn't like when they did that, to me 80's aren't "oldies." I'll miss the station and hope a new oldies station comes up soon.
-Kristi

'He (Elvis Presley) turned out to be fantastic. I remember rushing home with the record 'Heartbreak Hotel' and saying, 'He sounds like Frankie Laine and Johnnie Ray and Tennessee Ernie Ford!'' --John Lennon
ImaginePeace78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2005, 07:11 PM   #3
Lynner

Thank you for posting this, Tina! I was listening to the oldings station on my way to work and after work this totally sucky station was on! I called my sister and she was as mystified as I was. Guess I'll be tuning into the "classic" rock station more often. Sigh...
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2005, 07:17 PM   #4
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

We have that station here. I don't know if they took over a station or not...it certainly didn't replace anything I listened to. I do have Jack on my presets...but it isn't the most often used station. I do find they play some good songs not heard on the radio often...
I would certainly be mad if they had replaced one of the better oldies station here.
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2005, 07:17 PM   #5
Lynner

I just went to the link Tina provided (thank you!) and there's another link for our 104.3: www.iknowjack.com. It lets you provide feedback, so I did. And no, it wasn't positive feedback at all.
Old Jun 03, 2005, 07:38 PM   #6
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

We have Jack FM up here too, which has been on for about two years or so... fortunately for us, it took out a light-rock station, which I used to really dislike. Jack is alright, but I still prefer our oldies and classic rock stations over it. Personally, though, I find Jack seemed a little self-centered sometimes. They don't take any requests or anything, and to me it feels they don't listen to their listeners.
Old Jun 03, 2005, 07:40 PM   #7
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzymissLizzy909
Personally, though, I find Jack seemed a little self-centered sometimes. They don't take any requests or anything, and to me it feels they don't listen to their listeners.
A quote on one of their pages was something like "Tell us what you like. But don't tell us what to play!" Disturbing.

I'm gonna miss the 10:15am Beatle Break on Oldies 104.3.

You know what's weird, though? If you go to www.wjmk.com, you can still hear the Oldies 104 online feed (and see the website, for some reason). No sign of Dick Biondi doing the DJing right now, though, like he usually did on Friday nights...it must be all automated.

Last edited by beatlegirl9977 : Jun 03, 2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2005, 08:01 PM   #8
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

Send a message via AIM to ImaginePeace78 Send a message via Yahoo to ImaginePeace78

They could've taken out any other station, well, except the classic rock one and the one that plays "Breakfast with the Beatles" on Sunday mornings. They've taken any station, but nooo, they had to take the oldies one!
-Kristi

'He (Elvis Presley) turned out to be fantastic. I remember rushing home with the record 'Heartbreak Hotel' and saying, 'He sounds like Frankie Laine and Johnnie Ray and Tennessee Ernie Ford!'' --John Lennon
Old Jun 04, 2005, 04:15 AM   #9
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Yeah, this sounds really Orwellian to me too -- I'm more upset than I thought! WCBS-FM is also apparently still available online, but also without DJs or personalities. No one had ANY CLUE about this -- Micky Dolenz was the morning drive DJ on CBS-FM and yesterday they were doing a live feed from BB King's in Times Square to celebrate Micky's 100th show, for God's sake, with other personalities there to congratulate him! And at 5PM, they were just...gone. I personally feel like the foundation was ripped from under me, oddly adrift -- I've met a lot of the CBS-FM deejays, including a few guys I grew up listening to on the AM dial as a kid. I feel like someone died, I swear.

Tina and I were on the phone when my other friend called me to tell me about CBS-FM...and she said "Jack FM" and when I told Tina, there was an audible gasp when we started putting two and two together -- apparently this is happening without warning all over the US and Canada. It has all the earmarks of a Soviet coup! We found a plethora of articles about this disturbing phenomenon. I will post them in a subsequent post, since they're long.
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2005, 04:19 AM   #10
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Just in case anyone is interested, here are a couple of articles:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Variety Format Takes Off at Radio Stations

By NICOLE ZIEGLER DIZON
Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO (AP) -- The posters hanging on the walls of the broadcasting booth at Nine FM are as eclectic as the music the radio station plays - Pink Floyd and Aerosmith sharing space with the Marx Brothers, the Rat Pack and the Beatles.

"We play anything" is the station's mantra, and to prove it, program director and afternoon personality Matt DuBiel's afternoon mix moves from Boz Scaggs to Prince to Cheap Trick.

With names like Jack and Bob (or Fickle and Nine), radio stations promising an anything-goes mix of pop and rock hits are springing up across the country. The variety format is seen, in part, as a way to appeal to listeners used to loading their own iPods with music from different genres - or to keep those thinking about switching to satellite.

But more than that, it's a mea culpa to music lovers who started tuning out as their favorite stations shrunk their playlists in the 1990s, leaving the same old songs to play hour after hour.

The stations tell listeners "we play what we want" or "we play anything." But they're really carefully crafted to keep advertisers happy, observers say. Song choices target a lucrative but musically hard-to-define demographic, 25- to 54-year-olds, who want to hear new music but not rap and bubblegum pop, and who declare themselves too young to listen to the oldies.

"This is oldies wrapped up in new wrapping paper and a new bow," said Tom Taylor, editor of Inside Radio, a trade publication owned by Clear Channel Communications Inc.

The variety format began in Canada three years ago and migrated into U.S. markets a little over a year ago. While the original Canadian formats, called Jack and Bob, differ somewhat - Bob introduces more new music and Jack sticks to older hits - they and other U.S. variety stations share some basic themes.

They're heavy on the '80s and '90s. They play mainly hits, but hits that haven't been heard on the radio for a while. They aren't afraid of "train wreck" segues, running, for example, a classic rock hit into an '80s pop confection.

For Harvey Wells, vice president and group station manager for Newsweb Radio Group, Nine FM's owner, inspiration struck sitting at a college bar with his 21-year-old daughter. After hearing hard-rock AC/DC followed by pop from Huey Lewis and the News, then followed by country singer Kenny Chesney, he asked her if she thought the mix was strange.

"And she said, 'Why strange?'" Wells said. "'It's just good music.'"

People always liked a variety of music, but as radio stations consolidated under corporate owners, playlists got shorter, said Bob Sinclair, president of Sinclair Communications, which launched the first U.S. Bob station in Norfolk, Va., 14 months ago.

"The big suits worried about their Wall Street stock price ... and there were these so-called experts telling station owners (that) to be successful you have to narrow your focus to a particular segment of music," he said.

Listeners tuned out. Americans 12 and older now spend about 19.5 hours a week listening to the radio, down from 21.5 hours a week in 1998, according to Arbitron's annual American Radio Listening Trends report. Radio advertising, which boomed in the 1990s, grew only 2 percent last year, according to the Radio Advertising Bureau.

Bob Perry, a veteran radio programmer, started the variety format on the Internet radio station JACK.FM in 2000 and later licensed the name for terrestrial stations in Canada and the U.S.

One of the converted is 32-year-old Stacy Jill Jacobs, who recently started listening to Jack FM in Los Angeles. Jacobs has an iPod loaded with her favorites, but likes the station's eclectic nature and element of surprise.

"It's completely random, and the choices that they make are hilarious," Jacobs said.

Not everyone is a believer, though. Michael Saffran, who worked for years as a DJ, has listened to Fickle in Rochester, N.Y., and doesn't expect it to stick around for long. The scan button on his radio dial does the same job, he said.

"If you're going to listen to some wide range of music, it might as well be the stuff you pick yourself," Saffran said.

The Canadian Bobs and Jacks have had staying power, giving variety radio backers a weapon against naysayers who call the format another fad akin to all-'80s or jammin' oldies, both of which came and went quickly.

Sinclair's variety stations have done well in the Arbitron ratings, and only one - in Honolulu - has fizzled. Bob Sinclair notes Bob FM in Austin, Texas, has rated No. 1 in its market's 25-54 demographic.

Variety stations are rarely the leaders in any particular market, but they have proven a reliable way for station owners to boost their market shares, said Sean Ross, vice president of music and programming at Edison Media Research, a consulting firm.

In Chicago, Nine FM, playing on three frequencies, hasn't made a dent in the ratings yet. But since its entry into the market, the city's alternative station has expanded its playlist and declared itself "on shuffle," and a hot adult contemporary station now says it plays "today's new music ... and whatever we want."

The stations will have to figure out a way to keep listeners once the novelty wears off, said Ross. That may include introducing new music into the mix, or finding interesting personalities - many now eschew DJs or give them little air time.

"The big mantra for Jack and Bob and all these formats is that they're a mile wide and an inch deep, and that will have to give eventually," Ross said. "That said, I'm not one of those people who believe this is a fad format."

On the Net:

Variety Hits: http://www.varietyhits.com/variety/

JACK.FM: http://www.jack.fm/

Bob FM: http://www.bob-fm.com/

and from today's Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-270182c.html

Oldies suddenly a thing of past in WCBS shift

BY RICHARD HUFF

DAILY NEWS TV EDITOR

Oldies radio is dead in New York City.

After more than three decades as the top oldies station in the country, WCBS-FM (101.1 FM) abruptly scrapped its format yesterday for a concept called Jack.

As Frank Sinatra's "Summer Wind" trailed off at 5 p.m., a voice intoned: "Why don't we play what we want? There's a whole world of songs out there."

The first song under the new format was the Beastie Boys' "Fight for Your Right." Soon after, CBS played Bruce Springsteen's "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out" and James Brown's "I Got You (I Feel Good)."

The station had been home to some of the most famous names of New York radio, including Cousin Bruce Morrow, Harry Harrison, Dan Ingram and Ron Lundy, many of whom shifted from WABC-AM when it went from music to talk.

"I've expected something like this," Morrow said yesterday. "They have every right to try what they want to try. My audience won't be without me for long."

The move stunned longtime listeners.

"I came home and I turned the radio on and it was not there," said Pamela Hall, who lives in the Bronx. "I thought I was going to faint . . . I really am sick. Part of my family is gone."

"This is the largest, the biggest abandonment of a loyal market segment in the history of New York radio," said listener Howard Bailen, of Manhasset, L.I. "I tuned in and heard a song you'd never hear on CBS. It's the last thing New York needs."

But officials at Infinity Broadcasting, which owns the station, said the new format was right for New York. "We did a lot of market research and found a hole in the market that wasn't being served by any other station," said Chad Brown, CBS' vice president and general manager.

No personalities will be heard on the station at the start. Oldies fans will be left to satellite or Internet radio; www.wcbsfm.com still will offer oldies programming.

The Jack format blends hits from the past four decades, creating what the company claims is the "most expansive" playlist heard on radio.
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2005, 05:05 AM   #11
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964
Thumbs down

We lost the only oldies station in my town on August 21, 2004. Now it's a mostly talk - weird mix format called BOB Radio. That was unfortunate - I wish we still had an oldies station. Since the other formats are a dime a dozen, the least TPTB could do was leave us with one oldies station. Damn!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Jun 04, 2005 at 05:06 AM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2005, 06:07 AM   #12
ChrisG134
Sun King

Every city should have an oldie station.It's gonna be weird without one.Their playing the same music as 99.9.Do really really need 2 stations like that?One's enough.Hopefully another station comes along and goes back to oldies.
Old Jun 04, 2005, 06:13 AM   #13
Lynner

I hear ya, BB! I don't mind a new station coming on, but did it have to replace the only FM oldies station. Yes, the play list was short, but the dj's were good and some of their specials (ie the Beatles break) kept me tuned in.

I think what disturbs me most of all was that this was done totally without warning.
Old Jun 04, 2005, 06:15 AM   #14
Lynner

Chris, I knew this new station sounded similar to another new one. Thanks for providing the station #. Obviously not one of my presets, if I couldn't remember it!
Old Jun 04, 2005, 08:03 AM   #15
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

I feel like I've lost a friend. In the mornings, when I woke up and began to get ready for work, I had Oldies 104.3 on. I liked the morning show, it was a lot of fun to listen to. I've been listening to Oldies 104.3 since I was 13, and it's a shock to have it gone like this. There are so many other stations on the dial like Jack(s***) FM. They also play 80s and 90s music. Why not take one of them? No one would know the difference because there's so many stations that play the same crap over and over. I don't care about that "we play what we want" crap...whatever. I'm glad I have Internet Radio (Real Oldies 1690 AM) Can't get that on the "regular" radio up here in Waukegan...I'm too far from Chicago. My cousin has Satellite Radio in his car and at home. Who knows, maybe one day I'll switch to that. Radio has sunk to a new low.
-Kristi

Last edited by Rellevart : Jun 05, 2005 at 06:28 AM. Reason: taking out the s-word
Old Jun 04, 2005, 08:11 AM   #16
Pepperland Kamer
Dr. Robert

Man I can't believe they just got rid of CBS FM 101.1 here in New York just like that. And for no apparent reason. This is a perfect example of the higher ups not giving a damn about its audience.

But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only.

Nothing Is Beatle-Proof!!
Pepperland Kamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2005, 08:18 AM   #17
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Absolutely. Radio just isn't what it used to be... It doesn't totally surprise me that this happened. Modern times are changing--a little $200 piece of plastic with headphones can carry an entire library of CDs now, so a lot of technology-savvy people don't even bother listening to the radio anymore. To be honest, I think I have the radio on for maybe 2 hours total per week--I have CDs playing in the car most of the time (I have MP3 capability on my car stereo, so, like an iPod, one cd that I burn holds a good 6-7 hours of music). The only stations I could tolerate anymore were 104.3, 97.1 (classic rock), 93.1 (alternative/independent-ish), and AM 1690 (the oldies), plus the AM news channel. The rest of it...blecch, can't stand it.

And it seems to me that Chicago has the worst radio station selection in the country. When we drive cross-country, even little towns we pass by have better radio station choices than we do here in a city of a few million people!
Old Jun 04, 2005, 08:53 AM   #18
ChrisG134
Sun King

And it seems to me that Chicago has the worst radio station selection in the country. When we drive cross-country, even little towns we pass by have better radio station choices than we do here in a city of a few million people![/quote]

I wouldn't say that.They have one of the best radio stations in the country.WXRT 93.1 it's one of a kind.There's nothing else like it.I mean what other station plays Buddy Guy,John Haitt,Moby, Wilco & The Beatles?They have the best variety and the best DJ's.They haven't changed their format in over 30 yrs.They must be doing something right.If that ever changed I'd be very upset.
Old Jun 04, 2005, 09:18 AM   #19
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

You're right about smaller towns, Tina. When I was in college at ISU in Bloomington-Normal, IL, they had one of the best oldies stations there. It played anything from the mid-50s to the early-mid 70s. It was a great station. I missed it when I graduated. I still liked 104.3 though. Luckily, we still have 97.1 The Drive and 93 XRT (I listen to that for Breakfast with the Beatles on Sunday mornings, if I can get up for it--LOL).
-Kristi

Old Jun 04, 2005, 10:06 AM   #20
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964
Angry Jack & Bob - Proof that Radio Execs Don't Know Jack About What Many Listeners Want!

Amen, Sistahs!

I hear you all loud and clear - we, in the River City are DEPRIVED without our only oldies station! I miss it and I am not alone! We have a PLETHORA of talk radio and similar music formats, but please, please, PLEASE let us have our oldies back!

KEYI 103.5 FM before it became BOB FM had the Beatle Hour every Saturday from 11:00 -12:00 pm. I miss that. I miss Breakfast With the Beatles (talk about the breakfast of champions) too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Originally Posted by Pepperland Kamer
Man I can't believe they just got rid of CBS FM 101.1 here in New York just like that. And for no apparent reason. This is a perfect example of the higher ups not giving a damn about its audience.
WHAT?!! I grew up with WCBS 101.1 FM! What a DAMN SHAME! That is so cruel! That is so unfair - there is no shortage of the other formats, so why the heck can't we have our oldies?!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Jun 04, 2005 at 10:15 AM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote