BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Aug 05, 2007, 07:34 PM   #41
eppylover
Apple Scruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by instant karla View Post
Pattie Boyd: George had to ask Brian Epstein for permission to marry me
By PATTIE BOYD - More by this author Last updated at 10:34am on 5th August 2007

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/...n_page_id=1773
Thank you for this one, IK!

I'm grateful that Pattie explains to us the fact that clearing it with Eppy was necessary because their wedding date
might have conflicted with a tour schedule or something ~ not because he was a despot, as many others have hinted!

She obviously loved Bri and has nothing but glowing praise for him...at least in the excerpt there on the Mail's site.
Old Aug 05, 2007, 09:01 PM   #42
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
Poor George, no wonder he was lonesome in that marriage.

If any of what she asserts is even truth, I must say she and Eric look sadly like drama kings/queens. I found Eric's letters to Patti laughable and Patti gullable.

George, however, looks beautifully human. I understood his every emotion as depicted in the story. I understood his frustrations and reactions. Pattie was obviously not supportive of George spiritually. She bitterly recounts his meditation hours as times he was "obsessed" and "ignoring her". I wonder if she will include how she felt rejected when George decided for spiritual reasons to be celebate. Repeatedly in the exerpt she says George would deny her accusations and call her paranoid. It made me wonder how many of her accusations are bitter grapes for his self imposed celebacy.
Dyeing her hair red was an interesting way of
expressing anger. Many people see red - she
colored her hair red.

I like what you said about how beautifully human
George looked - actually, I could understand both
sides of the story. Imagine being married to this
beautiful and talented man who wooed and "won"
you from another suitor. Imagine being on the
inside track of the world's greatest band, the
roller-coaster ride of being part of it, if even
from the background to a large extent. Now i
magine that your spouse is seeing other women
and how you don't feel included in his new interests.
You try to be supportive, but you don't share the
level of enthusiasm/interest...sort of like Paul's
1966 gem, "For No One." Your "Something" sours i
nto a sad refrain of "For No One."

Imagine being married to this beautiful and highly
talented person who has decided to be celibate
for part of his life for spiritual/religious reasons.
Now, if you want the full perks of the marriage
(and that does include loving intimacy), it is
understandable that you would feel maritally
bereft if such intimacy is not forthcoming.

I am not on anybody's side and I'm not
saying anybody here is. I am just trying to
view this objectively and be fair about it.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Aug 05, 2007 at 09:05 PM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2007, 10:25 PM   #43
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
When I met Pattie at her art exhibit she seemed like a lovely woman and even giggled to me girlishly taling about how attractive George was in the print I purchased. When George's name arose, her eyes welled with tears. During the entire exhibit, she played only Harrisongs... not a single Clapton song. Now she trashes on George and even stoops low enough to say EC is a better guitar player. *sigh*

I've entirely changed my opinion of Pattie, sadly.

My favorite parts are where Patti~

1. says she was not actually suicidal, but just in case picked out the fashion style/dress she would pick if she ever were suicidal

and

2. this line... "I was furious. I went straight out and dyed my hair red."

Poor George, no wonder he was lonesome in that marriage.

If any of what she asserts is even truth, I must say she and Eric look sadly like drama kings/queens. I found Eric's letters to Patti laughable and Patti gullable.

George, however, looks beautifully human. I understood his every emotion as depicted in the story. I understood his frustrations and reactions. Pattie was obviously not supportive of George spiritually. She bitterly recounts his meditation hours as times he was "obsessed" and "ignoring her". I wonder if she will include how she felt rejected when George decided for spiritual reasons to be celebate. Repeatedly in the exerpt she says George would deny her accusations and call her paranoid. It made me wonder how many of her accusations are bitter grapes for his self imposed celebacy.
Absolutely perfectly phrased. Also the additional post after this one.

The fact she did not try to understand George the way Olivia did and does is a pity, even more because she was with him in India and on top of the changes in is life. The fact she probably was looking the other way and now writes it down after all these years the way she does it...and even more...why she does it... deserves in my opinion not even a little piece of respect. That is, if you read her words thouroughly and know a bit about George.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Aug 05, 2007 at 10:32 PM.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2007, 03:18 AM   #44
beatlebangs1964

That was my impression too, FPSHOT...
part of what makes a relationship work
is sharing important parts of one ano-
ther's lives...moving and growing
together is an important part of
the success of any relationship.

I think now of John's song, "Grow
Old With Me."

I was under the impression that
Pattie did not try to understand
the deep significance of George's
core values and beliefs or try to
understand the inner metamor-
phosis he was going through
during that period, which I
think led to the dissolution of
their marriage.

On the other hand, it has been
said that Pattie was the one
who directed George toward
Eastern philosophies/religion...
still, she clearly did not follow
to the extent George did...just
a difference in interpretation,
and faith expression, perhaps?

More speculation on my part,
but in re George & Pattie, I
think a large part of their
relationship was based on
physical attraction - George
makes no denial of this in
accounts and in his own
words in re Pattie...

Olivia always sounded like
someone who shared George's
interests and beliefs whole-
heartedly; was someone he
could talk to and was plainly
his soulmate....just different.
Not better, but just different
and Pattie and Olivia came at
different points in George's
life. George in 1964 was
barely out of puberty and
George a decade later when
he met Olivia had matured
considerably and no doubt
had different expectations
about relationships when
he and Olivia met.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Aug 06, 2007 at 03:20 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 11:28 AM   #45
FPSHOT
Sun King

There are certain parts in this article which are quite confusing. She is pointing the finger at George - in this section - whereas the name of Clapton passes by quite often to say the least. Now.. if George for instance was so nonchallant, then why would he come in to Robert Stigwood's party that way, walking in to the garden and ask "what's going on".. I mean... he must have had a reason for this whereas Clapper was a house guest and so if they were just 'friends' then George would not have come on that direct to them?

What she says about George wanting to be "some kind of Krishna figure" is just beyond any respect and also to me at least shows she had no clue what went on with George at the time... or it is just another way of putting George down and make her look like the hurt and innocent lonely wife.

She may have well called the book "Layla" because that is basically most of what she talks about... me me me hey world, I was Layla. She says "I have been asked for many years to write a book". I wonder by whom. She says a reason for writing it is that friends of her and 30 neeces and neffues don;t know much about her and certainly not her story. Well, they will be impressed for sure by all this? It seems like "Cleaning up time" where from George's side there is absolutely no reason I can think of.. however Clapton is working on a book so that may be the bad timing which indeed I read that the author and EC are furious about Pattie's timing and all the things she writes about Clapton. They also can be found with the same newspaper btw. The author of EC's book adds that sofar EC is very friendly about Pattie in the writing of the book.

Anyways...

It is what Hari's Chick says.. back then at the photo expo she seemed so friendly and so sweet about George and now... why why why and what will she gain from it apart from the 1 million pounds as I read somewhere... at least my sympathy for her is washed away.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 12:03 PM   #46
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
What she says about George wanting to be "some kind of Krishna figure" is just beyond any respect and also to me at least shows she had no clue what went on with George at the time... or it is just another way of putting George down and make her look like the hurt and innocent lonely wife.

Very true, what it reveals is Pattie's ignorance and lack of understanding. What she says here is also a grave offense towards Krishna. She insinuates Krishna's gopis were "concubines"!!! She relates the relationship of Krishna and the gopis on the most mundane, profane level. It is a shocking .... terrible interpretation of Holy Scripture.

I will copy here one story of Krishna and the gopis to illustrate how the stories teach us how to live and what God's relationship is to us all. It has nothing to do with mundane levels, as Pattie assumes.

Why krishna watched as gopis lifted water
18 Aug 2006, 0001 hrs IST,Shammi Paranjape
Print Save EMail Write to Editor

Once the gopikas of Vrindavan were lifting heavy pails of water, while their cowherd friend, Krishna, stood by and watched. He made no move to help them. The gopis marked His strange indifference.

However, a little later when they wanted to remove the pails from their heads and place them on the ground, Krishna rushed to help them. Asked why, He replied that His task was to help human souls unburden themselves, not assist them in adding burdens.

Often, we pray for the very things that God does not want to give us: added burdens. We seek fame, fortune and power but none of these give us the happi-ness we are seeking.

Why? Simply because all these are external and related to the world whereas true happiness is internal and related to the spirit.

We may strew our lives with pleasures, but that will not help because there is a vast difference between plea-sure and happiness. The former is related to the senses and is evanescent; the latter is of and from the soul and is abiding.

How to attain soul-abiding happiness? The scriptures have a stunning thing to say... they tell us that there is nothing to attain for we are sat-chit-ananda or embodiments of bliss, it is just a question of realising it.

The whole aim of life is this Self-realisation. To reach this one has to turn one's gaze and attention inward, away from the material world, to the inner essence of being.

"Whether one is a yogi or a bhogi; whether one is a sanyasi or householder, he alone will be truly happy and will verily enjoy, who is ever revealing inwardly in Brahmn", said Adi Sankara in the Bhaja Govindam.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/1902287.cms
Old Aug 06, 2007, 12:10 PM   #47
Hari's Chick

By the way, bhoga is most often referred to as that which is offered to Krishna~ foods, flowers, offerings.

Here is also an explanation...

"What is bhoga? This is the sanskrit word for fun or pleasure. It should be an essential part of any yoga practice. This is a serious adventure in the sense that major transformations are possible but we should still have a great time while on the path."

So, "yogi's and bhogi's " ... I thought that should be explained...
Old Aug 06, 2007, 12:11 PM   #48
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I remember, not even five years ago I read an article on Patti where she swore that she would never write a tell-all book, and that was one of the reasons why she was so respected by rock stars and remained friends with pretty much everyone she knew in the business.

Ridiculous.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2007, 04:22 PM   #49
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

All those years that have passed with Pattie taking the high road, respecting the privacy of past relations, giving Olivia room to grieve and reflect over the passing of her beloved husband, not embarrassing the family with stories that can no longer be refuted.

All of the good will that had been built has been destroyed, in a brief moment in time, at the hands of an obvious money-grab.

How do you sleep Patti?
Old Aug 06, 2007, 07:47 PM   #50
beatlebangs1964

Quote:
Very true, what it reveals is Pattie's ignorance and lack of understanding. What she says here is also a grave offense towards Krishna. She insinuates Krishna's gopis were "concubines"!!! She relates the relationship of Krishna and the gopis on the most mundane, profane level. It is a shocking .... terrible interpretation of Holy Scripture.

I will copy here one story of Krishna and the gopis to illustrate how the stories teach us how to live and what God's relationship is to us all. It has nothing to do with mundane levels, as Pattie assumes.
Thank you for that, Hari's Chick. I, too was very perturbed by these remarks from Pattie -- that is the equivalent of saying Jesus and His relationship with His Apostles was trivial and mundane, which rest assured it is NOT... for her to make such gross insinuations suggests two things to me: a) a lack of respect and appreciation for Krishna and the gopis and the faith in general and b) a lack of understanding and no concept of just how offensive such remarks are.

What really upsets me is the blasphemous tone some of these comments have - I didn't like it when she said George saw himself as a Krishna like figure. Yeah, it is true that I don't know any of these people personally. We get some sense of them based on what we have heard and read about them. Hari's Chick, you met Pattie and I am sure you feel quite hurt and devastated and betrayed by her remarks after she was friendly at the Art Show in San Francisco.

One of the many reasons I love George is that he brought God into his music -- it is George's humility and his willingness to give his talent to God that I feel made him even more special.

God and the Lord Jesus Christ are mentioned in many of George's songs. "Dear One," which is one of my personal favorites is a beautiful prayer set to music. I have said many times that my church, the Catholic church uses George's music for our prayer meetings and our discussion groups. I think George has helped bring many people closer to God through his music and I will always love him for that.

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Aug 06, 2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 07:57 PM   #51
FPSHOT
Sun King

Well said.

Well this is about Pattie and her writings and I think looking at the reactions here already, the book will cause a lot of sad reactions towards Pattie.

ringo rama - I recall that interview but can't find it. What I did find is her saying this in 2005

"Boyd was also a muse to Harrison and Clapton. Harrison wrote "Something" about her, among other songs; Clapton wrote the fiery "Layla" (its title inspired by an Iranian tale of obsessive love) about her, and later "Wonderful Tonight."
She's modest about being the subject of so many well-known songs.

Much of Clapton's work on the Derek and the Dominos record "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs" was inspired by his passion for Boyd.

"All I can say is I feel deeply flattered and honored. ... I don't know what else to say. I guess I'm really lucky."

that's it.

Well I wish she had stuck with that and just had continued her silence and to tell more about her to her friends and family just had organised a nice day out with all of them and take a mike and start talking...privately... and I wonder if she would dare to say all these things in public. It actually does more harm to her I think than to the Harrisons because they have such a deep spiritual belief and whatever they will pick up from this book...Olivia and Dhani... they will take it as George had taken it I think... probably since they are close to Clapton it will come across maybe in conversations but I feel they will feel sorry for her. At least I hope that is what comes from it and let's hope the press does not jump on it the wrong way.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 08:51 PM   #52
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
oh yes I agree 100% and you say it very well... she just lacks understanding totally and from her that is just purly embarrassing as well as offensive?

That copied story of Krishna and the gopis is beautiful, thank you so much... it is wnderful to read and learn.
Old Aug 07, 2007, 03:19 AM   #53
FPSHOT
Sun King

Well George did write a song about Pattie which fits a bit to the stories in the Daily Mail

There goes our lady
With a "you know who"
I hope she's happy
And "old 'Clapper' too"
We had good rhythm
(and a little slide)
Then she stepped in
Did me a favour
I threw them both out.

We all can (see) so clearly
They see that our lady
Is out on a 'spree'
Old Aug 07, 2007, 01:50 PM   #54
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
All those years that have passed with Pattie taking the high road, respecting the privacy of past relations, giving Olivia room to grieve and reflect over the passing of her beloved husband, not embarrassing the family with stories that can no longer be refuted.

All of the good will that had been built has been destroyed, in a brief moment in time, at the hands of an obvious money-grab.

How do you sleep Patti?

Exactly! Did Pattie ever once think how this will affect Dhani? No, she did not even care.... those dollar signs were sparkling too brightly.
Old Aug 07, 2007, 01:51 PM   #55
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
Well George did write a song about Pattie which fits a bit to the stories in the Daily Mail

There goes our lady
With a "you know who"
I hope she's happy
And "old 'Clapper' too"
We had good rhythm
(and a little slide)
Then she stepped in
Did me a favour
I threw them both out.

We all can (see) so clearly
They see that our lady
Is out on a 'spree'
Lovin' it!!!

Why did this song cross my mind this morning....

Old Aug 07, 2007, 02:05 PM   #56
Georgie Girl
Sun King

Is the book out now, or are there just "excerpts?"

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2007, 02:24 PM   #57
Hari's Chick

Right now it is excerpts... I wonder if the Harrison's will make a statement of some kind? Or if they just will ignore it all?
Old Aug 08, 2007, 09:47 PM   #58
beatlebangs1964

I would be surprised if Olivia or Dhani were to
say anything about the book...perhaps they
hope it will all just blow away.

Old Aug 09, 2007, 08:14 AM   #59
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

I definitely don't know Patti, but almost everything I've heard about her has been positive. I think if she can manage to write a book like Cynthia's John, then she'll be in good shape. Cyn manage to spill the beans about John, but still do it in a way that communicates love and respect for him. I think most Beatles fans already know about George's fling with Maureen, and we definitely know that George wasn't faithful to her, so why shouldn't Patti be allowed to tell her side of the story? If people are somehow shocked or offended at what went down in her and George's relationship, then I would say that they probably didn't know too much Beatles info to begin with. I doubt Patti could say something that would make me think less of George.

I am definitely looking forward to her book coming out, and I will rush out to get it!

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2007, 09:53 AM   #60
instant karla
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinluv182 View Post
If people are somehow shocked or offended at what went down in her and George's relationship, then I would say that they probably didn't know too much Beatles info to begin with. I doubt Patti could say something that would make me think less of George.
i agree with you, erinluv.

and let's not let idol-worship get in the way of reality. none of the beatles qualify for sainthood.
instant karla is offline   Reply With Quote