BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Act Naturally

Old Mar 19, 2005, 07:41 PM   #1
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer

Send a message via Yahoo to NaomiMcCartney
Default Ringo played in a Theator movie of Alice in Wonderland back in 1985

I saw this a lot when I was a little child, and I simply loved it! It had been years since I saw it, and I thought it was soo cool to see that Ringo played the mock turtle. He even sang in this movie. I wish so badly that it was still available on DVD! I don't know if any of you have seen it, but here is the review. Also here is the link where you can see the photo of the cover. http://images.amazon.com/images/P/63...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg Sorry that Ringo isn't on the cover. Has anybody else seen this years ago?
Read Review of Alice in Wonderland Review SummaryAbout the Author
The Definitive Alice
Jul 24 '02 (Updated Jul 24 '02)

Author's Product Rating

Action Factor: Special Effects: Suspense:
Pros
Elaborate sets/costumes, amazing cast, great story

Cons
Some scenes with a dragon may be scary for younger children; Not on DVD

The Bottom Line
For older children and adults, this is the best Alice in Wonderland ever made. It was well produced, cast, costumed then and is still great.

Full ReviewPlot Details: This opinion reveals minor details about the movie's plot.Plot
The plot of this movie is the well-known story of Alice in Wonderland. However, since it is longer than most versions, you get a fuller version of the story. There are more characters that are more strongly developed.

It starts out with Alice going through the garden of her home and seeing a rabbit scurrying by. She follows him and enters an incredible fantasy world. She meets all kinds of characters. But it doesn't take her long to wish that she were home again.

Along the way she meets a Cheshire Cat, Rabbit, talking flowers, white knight, Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee, talking Caterpillar, Red Queen and White Queen, and a plethora of other characters.

My Opinion
There is no version of Alice in Wonderland that is better than this one. Though I love the cartoon Disney version and I've seen the recent Alice in Wonderland, neither compare to the quality of storytelling and acting that is in this version. The sets and costumes are lovely. The casting is wonderful. Each actor really becomes their character. It is a truly fantastic fantasy world that this movie has lavishly created.

I first saw this on television when I was quite young. We taped it, so I watched it MANY times! (If only it were on DVD!) My absolute favorite scene is of Alice and Father William/Caterpillar(Sammy Davis, Jr.) doing the Father William number. I liked it so much I memorized the entire poem so that I could recite it whenever I wanted to remember the scene.

Looking back, it amazes me what an impressive cast made up this version. It's almost ashame that anyone went to the trouble of remaking it, when this version would be so hard to top and the new one definitely didn't come close to the quality.

Starring
The cast list for this movie is impressive and lengthy. Alice is played by lovely little Natalie Gregory (whose hair I always tried to mimic when I was little). I love Carol Channing everytime I see her in something and this time was no different. Here are the most famous actors in this movie:

Alice (Natalie Gregory)
Mother (Sheila Allen)
The Pig (Scott Baio)
Lion (Ernest Borgnine)
Unicorn (Beau Bridges)
White Knight (Lloyd Bridges)
Gryphon (Sid Caesar)
White Queen (Carol Channing)
Caterpillar/Father William (Sammy Davis Jr)
Goat (Patrick Duffy)
Conductor (Merv Griffin)
Red Queen (Ann Jillian)
White King (Harvey Korman)
Messenger (John Stamos)
Mock Turtle (Ringo Starr)
Tiger Lilly (Sally Struthers)
Humpty Dumpty (Jonathon Winters)
Dodo Bird (Shelley Winters)

Recommended
Yes

Viewing Format: VHS
Video Occasion: Fit for Friday Evening
Suitability For Children: Suitable for Children Age 9 - 12

Last edited by NaomiMcCartney : Mar 19, 2005 at 07:50 PM.
NaomiMcCartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 08:15 PM   #2
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer

Wait I did find it on DVD through ebay, but they are used copies. It includes both Alice in wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, however only Alice in Wonderland includes Ringo Starr.

Here is a link which shows the cover and details on the item...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Old Mar 20, 2005, 12:25 AM   #3
AnyRoad69
Banned

i like the song nonsense
AnyRoad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 06:49 AM   #4
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyRoad69
i like the song nonsense
I love that song too.

"Nonesense, nonesense, can't really live without it, for instence for nonesense, we can't really do anything about it." It went something like that. It had been years since I've heard that song, and I still remember some of the words.