BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Oct 01, 2010, 06:03 AM   #181
VersusBatman
Sun King

We told my mother in law my son is diagnosed with autism and she doesn't believe us. She says he doesn't look autistic. Next time I see her I'll ask her what an autistic person looks like to her.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2010, 07:13 AM   #182
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

Errr ... autism isn't always visible.

Last edited by The New AimeeAndBeatles : Oct 01, 2010 at 07:21 AM.
The New AimeeAndBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2010, 07:40 AM   #183
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Many people with Asperger's or High Functioning Autism can pass for neurotypical (NT). Cognitive learning, observation and copying NTs can help a person with AS hide having AS.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2010, 07:54 AM   #184
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
Many people with Asperger's or High Functioning Autism can pass for neurotypical (NT). Cognitive learning, observation and copying NTs can help a person with AS hide having AS.
Yeah, the "visible" thing a lot of the time is sterotypies. And I also have mild ataxia (the medical papers said that although I dont remember if its related to my AS) so Im unusually clumsy, even compared to a non-ataxic AS.
Old Oct 01, 2010, 08:13 AM   #185
VersusBatman
Sun King

Indeed. There is a young man at church who is asperger's and you wouldn't know it until you talk to him.

I guess my mother in law thinks all autistic people rock back and forth and mutter incoherently.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
Old Oct 01, 2010, 09:32 AM   #186
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersusBatman View Post
I guess my mother in law thinks all autistic people rock back and forth and mutter incoherently.
Sterotypies they're called.
Old Oct 01, 2010, 04:47 PM   #187
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersusBatman View Post
Indeed. There is a young man at church who is asperger's and you wouldn't know it until you talk to him.

Probably it has to do with the definition of autism being enlarged in more recent years to encompass milder cases as well. It used to be that only severely handicapped autistic people would be diagnosed as such, persons that can't communicate in an accepted or intelligible fashion to the point they are almost unreachable.

The first person I met that had the diagnosis autism was a young girl who couldn't talk, didn't like to be hugged and had outbursts of violence. That was back in the early 80s and things have changed drastically since. Now it sometimes seem like the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction with just about any difficult child being diagnosed as autistic, whether it fits or not, which really doesn't help to direct resources towards those that do have it and truly need the treatment.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2010, 05:11 PM   #188
VersusBatman
Sun King

It does seem to be a trend nowadays to assume someone is autistic if they have quirky habits. I can't tell you how many times a person has assumed that a geek or a nerd is that way just because they are shy or socially awkward.

This is what my mother in law assumes about us. That we overreacted. That my son is just quirky and unique. This is not the case.

Old Oct 03, 2010, 07:23 AM   #189
beatlebangs1964

There is no 'look' to autism. People who have it are as different as any individuals. Autism is as varied as there are individuals who have it. In fact, as has rightfully been pointed out, there are many mildly affected people who have learned to pass for neurotypical (NT) and most others don't even know they have autism.

Someone I know once said that there is a real bias towards people with "invisible" challenges. Accomodations are made for people with physical challenges. People tend to be more tolerant of people with visible challenges and any tolerance is all to the good. Others expect the person to "straighten up and fly right" and hit all the NT Social Codes & Rules head on and then get angry at the person for not being able to do so. Let NT among us who has not committed a social gaffe be the one to cast the first stone. I am tired of people with autism being marginalized and penalized. I really am.

I truly wish the rocking, nonverbal stereotype and the equally offensive prodigious savant stereotype would be retired. I truly hate the 1988 move "R*** M**" and that very term is a slur in the autism community. I am tired of that character being trotted out when someone has been diagnosed with or whose behavior is described as being autistic.

It makes me steaming mad when people say things like, "Oh, your sister's autistic? Can she do matchbook tricks like R*** M**?" "Your cousin has autism? Can he help you win at the gaming tables?" That is tantamount to saying, "Your sister-in-law is Italian? Is she part of a mafia family?" "Your cousins are Japanese? Can they fix my camera and computer?" That damn R*** M** is every bit as offensive. I just hate the character and the movie for perpetuating a stereotype. In fact, less than 10% of people with autism ARE prodigious savants. Daniel Tammet, author of "Born on a Blue Day" is one of the fewer than 100 people who are prodigious savants alive today. He is NOTHING like that damn R*** M**! I am TIRED of people with autism being portrayed as robotic drones. Daniel Tammet is not and neither are the people I know with autism, regardless of how severely affected they are.

Many people with Asperger's CAN pass for neurotypical. It is a challenging ordeal to be made to feel that one is being marginalized because of their autism. Fewer things make me so angry as discrimination of ANY kind, but discrimination towards people with autism makes me hopping mad. I just HATE it when people with autism are treated like performing seals and asked to do tricks. Nobody treats the NT population that way.

Hibgal and Bat made good points above. The pendulum HAS swung way over to the other side where more people are being diagnosed. The DSM-IV is a good place to find a checklist or criteria for a diagnosis.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Oct 03, 2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 08:13 AM   #190
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
I just HATE it when people with autism are treated like performing seals and asked to do tricks. Nobody treats the NT population that way.
Sorry BB but that's not true. When you have an unusual or outstanding talent at ANYTHING you're considered fair game by insensitive people, regardless of whether you're autistic or not. If you're a a doctor they expect free consultations, if you're a musician they will demand you to sing and/or play, if you're a writer they think you'll be delighted to read their dumb manuscript, if a hair dresser to style their tresses, if an artist they will ask you to draw or whatever. And on and on and on and on. You'd be surprised how rude people can be. It's the nature of the beast. Only the mediocre escapes.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2010, 08:22 AM   #191
BeatleFanForever
Little Child

I have a question here for everyone? In your opinion, are there similarities between Autism, Downs Syndrome and Sotos Syndrome? Rock on!
BeatleFanForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2010, 08:38 AM   #192
beatlebangs1964

Hibgal, I stand corrected. It makes me angry whenever anybody is exploited.

Down Syndrome is a chromosomal condition which is caused by an extra chromosome. Down Syndrome is marked by distinct facial features/characteristics and cognitive delay.

Autism is a neurobiological condition that includes a wide range of sensory based behaviors and autism can also be manifested as language issues.

Soto's Syndrome, like Down Syndrome is a genetic condition. This condition is identified as being the "hyper-growth" syndrome. Andre the Giant most likely has Soto's Syndrome.

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Oct 04, 2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2010, 05:37 AM   #193
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

Well, I did read somewhere that autism might have a genetic component. But its primarily a neurological disorder although I think the proper term is developmental disorder.

Also autism's been described as an extreme male brain. Amusing thing is that Im on a gaming forum thats about 99% males and in the early days everyone there thought I was a male.

Last edited by The New AimeeAndBeatles : Oct 05, 2010 at 05:37 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 03:44 PM   #194
beatlebangs1964

I think it does. I know of families where more than one member has autism.

I know many women on the spectrum who have what would be described as "female" brains; i.e. they love chick flicks; chick lit; are extremely maternal, belong to moms' message boards and who have no interest in the more technical aspects of life. It's all a spectrum and everyone is different.

I know Beatle fans with Asperger's. That is not an uncommon demographic.

Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:27 PM   #195
VersusBatman
Sun King

We are trying to help my son with eye contact and maintaining a two way conversation.

Old Oct 13, 2010, 01:35 PM   #196
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

Eye contact: Just look at their nose or forehead. Most people dont know the difference.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 09:50 AM   #197
beatlebangs1964

That's a little trick I learned.

I really do believe there IS a strong genetic compound for autism. Not all autism is inherited, but there cases in which it appears to be. I have known Aspie couples who have one or more children on the spectrum, usually mildly affected.

There is a new book coming out entitled "I'm No Mother Theresa" and it is about a mother of three girls, all of whom have autism. I am probably going to pre-order the book.

"Miracle Run" is about twin brothers who have autism. The twins have been featured on many shows and even a movie has been made about them. The book and movie are both excellent and Zac Ephron (sp) played one of the boys in the movie.

I saw a family with three sons with autism featured on 60 Minutes in 2005. They had a daughter who was neurotypical. The boys, at last count were doing well.

In DeBlois' book, "Some Kind of Genius," she writes of her two sons. Her oldest son, Tony DeBlois has severe autism and is a musical genius who has been featured all over the world. Her younger son, Ray has Asperger's Syndrome. They live in the Boston area.

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Oct 15, 2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:09 AM   #198
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
I saw a family with three sons with autism featured on 60 Minutes in 2005. They had a daughter who was neurotypical. The boys, at last count were doing well.
Well, females with Aspergers are pretty rare. I dont remember the exact numbers though.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 09:51 PM   #199
beatlebangs1964

Actually, girls/women with AS are NOT rare. There is an entire body of literature about it. Here is a list of some truly excellent books for, by and about girls and women on the autism/Asperger's spectrum.

Girls Growing Up on the Autism Spectrum by Shana Nichols

Asperger's & Girls by Tony Attwood

Awakening Ashley by Sharon Ruben

Asperger's in Pink by Julie Clark

Girls Under the Umbrella of Autism Spectrum Disorders: Practical Solutions for Addressing Everyday Challenges by Lori et al.

Women From Another Planet?: Our Lives in the Universe of Autism by Jean Miller

Aspergirls: Empowering Females With Asperger Syndrome by Rudy Simone

Autism is NOT a Life Sentence by Lynley Summer

Congratulations! It's Asperger Syndrome by Jen Birch

Pretending to be Normal: Living With Asperger Syndrome by Liane Holliday Willey

Asperger Syndrome in the Family Redefining Normal: Redefining Normal by Liane Holliday Willey about her daughter, who also has Asperger's

Standing Down Falling Up: Asperger's Syndrome from the Inside Out (Lucky Duck Books) by Nita Jackson (an autobiography by a young woman who has AS)

At Home in the Land of Oz by Anne C. Barnhill, about her sister who has autism

The Sound of a Miracle by Annabelle Stehli

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Oct 15, 2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 02:28 AM   #200
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

What I mean is males highly outnumber them.