BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:30 PM   #1
HariScruff_00
Wild Honey Pie

Default "Greedy Bastard Diary" by Eric Idle

I had heard that Eric Idle had made a book from his online diaries, but since i had been keeping up with many of the diaries I didn't have any interest in a rehash just in book form. Until i saw the book for 20% off at Barnes and Noble- and I'm Glad i picked it up!

It seems to have quite a bit more than what the online diary had. Including quite a bit more on George. Just from reading a few excerpts, its obvious Eric really loved/loves George.
A couple of standout parts that i don't recall being in any part of his online diary: quite a bit more detail on the 1999 attack as well as detail about George's Friar Park home and studio.
He also talks about George's musical tastes, his jukebox collection included a little song called Layla. I couldn't help but chuckle at that.

There's a lot more to the book of course but this is a George forum afterall.
Not to mention, Eric is a former Python so needless to say the guy is funny!

anyway, i certainly recommend it if you see it. Especially for 20% off (who doesn't love a sale!?)

PS- to the mods, I thought this fit better in Crackerbox than in Paperback Writer because even though its a book, its still more about the George portions than the whole book itself. even though i included a recommendation
Old Mar 15, 2005, 03:24 PM   #2
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964
Talking

I agree as this is a Harrison related matter.

Did you say online journal? Do you have the web site?

And yeah, Sir Eric truly loves George and did all along. Of that I have no doubt.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:03 PM   #3
HariScruff_00
Wild Honey Pie

i had to re-search for it a bit but here it is, http://pythonline.com/eric_idle.html

but it looks like they took the journal offline, i couldn't find it through the site and all the old links no longer work. for the sake of the book i assume. Idle, you Greedy Bastard!

When it was still online, I had copied all the George referrences i could find into a Word document and I still have it- so I thought I'd do some comparing to make sure that there Really was more in the book and i wasn't just imagining it... turns out i wasn't imagining.

Here's an example of what I copy/pasted from online, but with added notes of where the book has extra paragraphs, along with a short quote from the paragraph. only teasers though (sorry but i just don't have the energy to copy the nearly 7 pages of text from the book. Oh, by the way: kleenex warning

>>Day 59: George
Today was a bad day for me. The anniversary of George's death two years ago is on my mind all day and I avoid writing my diary. I know I will have to write something about him and that's a painful thing to even think about. That man, so alive with those amazing eyes, lying so still as I scattered rose petals on him, my shoulders shaking weeping. Sitting with him. Seeing him so thin, hearing that terrible merciless cough, no it's too damn painful.
{book: "Even when we first met I felt like I'd known him forever...}

{book: "I never knew a man like him......"}

{book: "Like all the other important loves in my life...."}

{book: "Recently someone laid three CD bootlegs on me of George's work from the early seventies. It was the most remarkable gift..."}

{book: "The first time I visited Friar Park..." this paragraph is followed by about four more large paragraphs about George's home at Friar Park. none of which were in what I copied from the online version}

{book: "His enthusiasm was contagious..."}

{"Come on, Dad wouldn want this," Dhani would remind us..."}

{and finally, back to what was online as well as in the book}
This time last year I was in the Royal Albert Hall at the amazing Memorial Concert organized by Liv and Dahni and Eric Clapton, one minute laughing with Mike Palin and the Terrys (Jones and Gilliam) and the next losing it as Joe Brown played Here Comes the Sun and having to hide in the bathroom backstage, sobbing. I wasn't the only one with red eyes that night. Was ever a man so loved? So many friends. So many big strong tough men in tears. I almost lost it again on stage at the finale when Joe played the ukulele so beautifully and sang I'll See You in My Dreams, as thousands of rose petals fell from the ceiling. Everyone left the stage so quietly, avoiding each others eyes, here a friendly arm, there a hand on a shoulder. Too sad for words.
<<

I *had* to listen to Beware of ABKCO after i read chapter. it helped a little.

I could compare every difference but I think the above should be a more than sufficient example that there are some significant additions in the book.

Last edited by HariScruff_00 : Mar 15, 2005 at 11:36 PM.
HariScruff_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:41 AM   #4
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

thanks HariScruff
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 05:35 AM   #5
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

Thanks HariScruff. I remember reading some of the exerpts a while back, but I didn't realise a book had been published. Sounds interesting.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 07:13 AM   #6
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Aww Eric! That was so sweet!

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 07:54 AM   #7
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by HariScruff_00
"Even when we first met I felt like I'd known him forever
This all is so beautiful to read... but this line was just copied somewhere from a quote by Tom Petty as well...

Amazing huh...

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:27 AM   #8
HariScruff_00
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT
This all is so beautiful to read... but this line was just copied somewhere from a quote by Tom Petty as well...

Amazing huh...
You notice with Tom Petty's interviews when he talks about George, he says some things similar to what Idle says. i love reading what both of them have to say about George as they both seem to have been very close to him.

either George has that effect on people or they met in previous lives, and in that way they have known eachother "forever". or maybe its a little bit of both

Idle elaborates and goes on to say that he's sure he met George in the "summer of 1950", even though its highly unlikely, but he still felt as though he had met George as a child.

I've only met one person that i felt i'd known for years, even though i had only just met them. its weird how there are people like that in our lives.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 07:21 PM   #9
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Wow, Hariscruff. Thanks for posting all this. Eric really said some beautiful things about George. *sigh* I love to hear people talking about him. I've heard of few people who managed to be so warm and loving yet at the same time be straightforward, honest, and not liable to tolerating bs'ers. George managed to embody these qualities, and it truly is little wonder that he is so widely loved.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 01:27 AM   #10
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
You notice with Tom Petty's interviews when he talks about George, he says some things similar to what Idle says. i love reading what both of them have to say about George as they both seem to have been very close to him.

either George has that effect on people or they met in previous lives, and in that way they have known eachother "forever". or maybe its a little bit of both

Idle elaborates and goes on to say that he's sure he met George in the "summer of 1950", even though its highly unlikely, but he still felt as though he had met George as a child.
It is remarkable yes.. it makes me even more proud to be a close fan of George for just about all my life and even I have times that I feel so close to him, which I have with no other artist... little things which may occur out of the blue which just make me feel he is around spiritual...

Old Mar 17, 2005, 01:28 AM   #11
FPSHOT
Sun King

This time last year I was in the Royal Albert Hall at the amazing Memorial Concert organized by Liv and Dahni and Eric Clapton, one minute laughing with Mike Palin and the Terrys (Jones and Gilliam) and the next losing it as Joe Brown played Here Comes the Sun and having to hide in the bathroom backstage, sobbing. I wasn't the only one with red eyes that night. Was ever a man so loved? So many friends. So many big strong tough men in tears. I almost lost it again on stage at the finale when Joe played the ukulele so beautifully and sang I'll See You in My Dreams, as thousands of rose petals fell from the ceiling. Everyone left the stage so quietly, avoiding each others eyes, here a friendly arm, there a hand on a shoulder. Too sad for words.
<<

Too sad for words? hehe..I think it is beautiful...emotions are there to be shared which makes it a lot easier..

Old Mar 19, 2005, 12:24 AM   #12
HariScruff_00
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
<<

Too sad for words? hehe..I think it is beautiful...emotions are there to be shared which makes it a lot easier..
my favorite part of that was when he says "Was ever a man so loved?" sad but at the same time, like what you said, things like that make me proud to be a fan of George's.

i too lost it a bit when the rose pedals started coming down... and i was only watching on a DVD. I can't imagine trying to keep composure On stage while it was happening.

BTW, don't thank me! go out and check out Eric's book. If you can't buy it they do let you read books in the store. but its still worth just getting it-- "nudge nudge wink wink, you know what i mean..."
Old Mar 19, 2005, 01:27 AM   #13
FPSHOT
Sun King

Yes Eric

Old Mar 19, 2005, 04:53 AM   #14
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer

Send a message via Yahoo to NaomiMcCartney

Sounds like a true buy. In fact I'm a rather big fan of Eric, and he has always been my favorite Python.

NaomiMcCartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 11:10 AM   #15
Celebrian
Bulldog

LOL! Wonderful! I will keep an eye out for it. Maybe I can recommend it to my bookclub

The parts about George are lovely but very
and life flows on within you and without you.
~Within You, Without You

Last edited by Celebrian : Mar 19, 2005 at 11:11 AM.
Celebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 11:21 AM   #16
beatlebangs1964

Smile

Quote:
It is remarkable yes.. it makes me even more proud to be a close fan of George for just about all my life and even I have times that I feel so close to him, which I have with no other artist... little things which may occur out of the blue which just make me feel he is around spiritual...
I feel the same way, Rob. George did have that unique gift of fostering a "bond" among his fans, people whom he never even knew. George's music makes me feel more deeply and intensely and I can honestly this about George and no other artist. Sometimes when you listen to him, you feel things more keenly; more intensely; your senses are hyperalert. I confess to feeling "close" to George although I never knew this humble and highly talented man.

When I hear "The Inner Light," which has been on my mind today, I think of a child I once knew who had Asperger's Syndrome. She was very much the inveterate George fan; she often let George "talk" for her. It was really heart warming to see how the youngest Beatle moved this child; she could not even begin to guess how to talk to a peer, but boy, did she know about George Harrison! Not only that, she would play his songs, some of which she learned by ear. George was a master at reaching people on a multitude of planes and I see that he will always remain a close and constant influence.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Old Mar 19, 2005, 03:13 PM   #17
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebrian
LOL! Wonderful! I will keep an eye out for it. Maybe I can recommend it to my bookclub
LOL!!!!

Yes, this sounds like a must read! Thanks HariScruff, I also didn't realize it was out!
Old Mar 21, 2005, 07:19 AM   #18
beatlebangs1964

Quote:
my favorite part of that was when he says "Was ever a man so loved?" sad but at the same time, like what you said, things like that make me proud to be a fan of George's.

i too lost it a bit when the rose pedals started coming down... and i was only watching on a DVD. I can't imagine trying to keep composure On stage while it was happening.

BTW, don't thank me! go out and check out Eric's book. If you can't buy it they do let you read books in the store. but its still worth just getting it-- "nudge nudge wink wink, you know what i mean..."
I wish I had this book. George Harrison was a man who was, as I have said many times so well loved from the very beginning.

The roses are very a propos - the youngest Beatle was a gardener and roses are used often as tokens of love. The idea of presenting a love offering of a life form that George helped nurture and develop over the years makes perfect sense to me.

I like that part about a man who was so well loved. I think of Lil' George, the youngest of 4 children who was obviously the recipient of much love; I think of Beatle George who was the youngest of 4 Beatles who inspired love from countless hordes of people. I think of the many gifts this man had and shared...was there anybody as generous as George was in his expression? I don't know. George did a lot to help people find that "any road'll take you there" [to God] and I just love the way he devoted his work and talent to the Lord.

I am very proud to be a George fan. I think he was the most interesting of the Beatles and I find I derive a lot of pleasure in reading about this very interesting man. I think of how George has been able to reach people, even people others had thought to be unreachable. I think of the people I knew at my former job who actually thought of me when the tragic news of George's passing became public; I think of a child with Asperger's who responded spontaneously to George and his music and whose speech improved markedly by listening to George. I think of gardeners who are adding to plant life and creating something pleasant for others to see. I think of George who left such indelible stamps upon the world.

George Harrison was and will always be a well loved man. Loved from the day one; loved as a spouse; a father; a friend; a musician; a gardener; an artist; a brother; an uncle; a nephew; a comedian (that man was FUNNY)! ; an actor (you KNOW he stole the show in Help! The man's timing and delivery were flawless); a writer; a story teller and as a unique and special individual.

I guess you could say George is my favorite Beatle. George and Paul. I love them both, but differently based on their individuality and their talents and what each has meant and continues to mean to me. I will always have unflagging respect for George, this humble man who, by example showed how any road'll take you there and to bow to God and call Him Sir.

Old Mar 23, 2005, 06:53 PM   #19
LittleDarlin909
Paperback Writer

Wow. Thanks, guys. Reading things like that kind of reaffirm your faith in love and humanity, eh?
Old Mar 29, 2005, 09:54 PM   #20
Hari's Chick

Talking

I met the Greedy Bastard himself last Thursday! I am writing up a bit about it and will post. He is WONDERFUL! I've always had a thing for Eric!