BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Jan 10, 2003, 10:16 AM   #1
StrawberryShorty
Day Tripper

Default 1964 - And Other Beatle Tribute Bands

I was watching Good Day New York this morning when Dave Price announced he had 1964 with him. When they showed them, I immediatly noticed that the Ringo was the same Ringo from the Hard Day's Day film! The reason they were on the show was because they were playing Carnegie Hall in NYC TONIGHT and that there was only a small amount of tickets left.

Unfortunatly, by the time I called they said that tickets were being held by people online, and that none were currently available. But, get this.. tickets were from $55-$75 !! [img]graemlins/bigeyes1.gif[/img] * Is that NORMAL for a TRIBUTE BAND to charge that much??

I just bought a new laptop tho, so I'm kinda glad that tickets were unavailable at the time, because I really can't afford to spend that much.

Ok, anyways, the whole reason for this post is to ask if anyone knows of a way to find out about Tribute shows in your area BEFORE the day of the show? Also, is anyone going to the show tonight?
StrawberryShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2003, 10:46 AM   #2
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart
Default Re: 1964 - And Other Beatle Tribute Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted By StrawberryShorty:
Is that NORMAL for a TRIBUTE BAND to charge that much??

Ok, anyways, the whole reason for this post is to ask if anyone knows of a way to find out about Tribute shows in your area BEFORE the day of the show?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">No, I think that's an unusually high price to pay to see a tribute band. It's probably just jacked up because it's NYC and it's Carnegie Hall. I think that most of their shows are more in the $20-30 price range. I don't think 1964 is all that impressive, but a LOT of people love them, and by all accounts they're very nice guys.

About finding out about shows ahead of time, I'd suggest going onto the individual band's websites - most of them have schedules of their shows for weeks, if not months in advance. There are zillions of bands who have links on Beatlelinks, so you might want to leaf through those links and see who you might be interested in seeing if they come your way. Other things would be to check the papers - they usually advertise before tickets go on sale. Or check the websites of nearby venues too. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2003, 11:23 AM   #3
Magill
Sun King

I checked the Fab Four site and theirs are usually under $40.00 at smaller venues. Now, I think the prices for the big shows are higher. Like, I think they charged around $100.00 for their big New Years eve concert. It could be because 1964 is playing at Carnegie Hall.

[size="1"][ Jan 10, 2003, 11:24 AM: Message Edited By: Magill ][/size]
Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2003, 07:24 PM   #4
AmericanBeatle
Day Tripper

I saw 1964 and I thought they did a great job sounding like The Beatles and looking like them. I saw them at one of Georgia Tech's auditorium, of all places. I think I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $25 - $30 per ticket.
However, the group that I saw and thought that they were worth every penny, and a good bit more pennies had to be spent as opposed to 1964, was Beatlemania. They came to the Fox Theatre and I was fortunate enought to get very close to the stage. These guys had everything. The sound, the look, the mannerisms to the tiniest detail. It was as close as I could have come to actually seeing The Beatles live.
AmericanBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 11:09 AM   #5
backtotheegg
Wild Honey Pie

My sister and I went to see "1964" last night at Carnegie Hall.The tickets were a Christmas present from my brother and brother in law.
Let me tell you, these guys are real good!They have the sound,the look, the mannerisms, everything.I was so impressed!They really made you feel like you were watching the Beatles!
All the songs that they do are pre-Sgt. Pepper's.
According to the program, George's sister Louise was so impressed with "1964", she held a party in her home in their honor.
A big surprise last night was when Sid Bernstein came out to introduce the band.
It was a great night, and I would highly reccommend seeing "1964".You won't believe your eyes or ears!
backtotheegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 05:57 PM   #6
hyderboy
Little Child

I saw them about 12 years ago at Hersheypark. When you paid to get into the park ($17.00 then, twice as much now) you could go to the concert free .

I thought they were very authentic.

One tribute band I saw a couple of years ago was Revolution. They weren't quite as good group-wise, but the the guy who did Lennon, Tim Piper, was a dead-ringer in both looks and vocals.

I would close my eyes when he would sing, and man, IT WAS THE BEATLES.

They had just replaced the Paul guy, and I understand their "old" Paul was supposed to be really good. The new one wasn't so hot. But Piper was easily worth the $25.00 ticket.
hyderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 06:27 PM   #7
Jongo McHarrison
Nowhere Man

I saw 1964 in Winnipeg in April of 1993 and was really impressed. They sounded like them and were quick witted too. Some guy who wanted to know more about them shouted out halfway through the show "Who are you guys?". And the pseudo-John replied "You haven't been paying much attention have you?" as if the guy didn't know they were supposed to be the Beatles. Can someone tell me how much the lineup has changed since then? Have there been 15 Ringo's for instance?

As for prices, I think I only paid about $15-$20 CAN and $50 CAN to see Paul McCartney the next month. I saw the Monkees in Las Vegas in 2001 and paid about $50 US a show each time.
Jongo McHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2003, 02:12 AM   #8
joelcrowservo
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jongo McHarrison:
Can someone tell me how much the lineup has changed since then? Have there been 15 Ringo's for instance?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">No, its the same Ringo I believe. 1964 are very big business in Tulsa; 2 sold out shows a summer, every year. And they are indeed very nice guys. Mark (John) gets those instruments exact.
joelcrowservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 07:53 PM   #9
kc
Mr. Moonlight

Aaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeee!!!!

(That's the scream of an excited Beatlemaniac, for those of you who need a translation!)

I just won tickets to see 1964!!!! Okay, so I know it's not the real Beatles, but you can bet I'm dead chuffed about this, because it's as close to seeing the real Beatles as I'll ever get!!!!

Thanks to everyone who wrote reviews of their experiences in seeing this tribute band. I hope you're happy for me, my fellow
Beatlelinkers!!!! [img]graemlins/smile1.gif[/img] *

[img]graemlins/dance.gif[/img] * [img]graemlins/dance.gif[/img] * [img]graemlins/dance.gif[/img] * [img]graemlins/dance.gif[/img]
kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 08:53 PM   #10
StrawberryShorty
Day Tripper

Oooohhh! Congratulations kc!! I am EXTREMELY happy for you!! [img]graemlins/clap2.gif[/img] * [img]graemlins/clap2.gif[/img] * After seeing these reviews, I'm sure you'll have a FAB time!!

How'd you win?
StrawberryShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 04:15 AM   #11
kc
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted By StrawberryShorty:
Oooohhh! Congratulations kc!! I am EXTREMELY happy for you!! [img]graemlins/clap2.gif[/img] * [img]graemlins/clap2.gif[/img] * After seeing these reviews, I'm sure you'll have a FAB time!!

How'd you win?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Thank you. I answered a Beatles trivia question in a radio contest. I was blessed to be the first correct caller!
kc is offline   Reply With Quote