BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Tell Me Why

Old May 06, 2003, 09:14 AM   #1
onosideboards
Taxman

Default Paperback Writer idea

I was wondering if the moderators would consider adding a new and extremely useful forum devoted to fanfic ONLY. The Paperback Writer forum is mostly filled with fanfic stuff yet the forum is described as a place to discuss the thousands of books about the Beatles.

Fanfic is COMPLETELY different than a published biography or compendium about the Beatles so I feel it therefore deserves a different forum. When I go to Paperback Writer, I should only see reviews or questions about Beatle books...wouldn't you agree? I think dividing up the forums would have a positive impact on forum organization.

I hope you will strongly consider this idea. Thanks!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2003, 09:28 AM   #2
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper
Default Re: Paperback Writer idea

Quote:
Originally Posted By onosideboards:
I was wondering if the moderators would consider adding a new and extremely useful forum devoted to fanfic ONLY. The Paperback Writer forum is mostly filled with fanfic stuff yet the forum is described as a place to discuss the thousands of books about the Beatles.

Fanfic is COMPLETELY different than a published biography or compendium about the Beatles so I feel it therefore deserves a different forum. When I go to Paperback Writer, I should only see reviews or questions about Beatle books...wouldn't you agree? I think dividing up the forums would have a positive impact on forum organization.

I hope you will strongly consider this idea. Thanks!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I am one of the moderators of the forum in question, and frankly, I don't see the need for two forums. Of course, that would ultimately be up to Jerry, but just because I write and read fanfic, it doesn't mean, for example, that I'm not qualified to discuss Beatles books and other materials -- I read, I know my Beatles history, and I think you'd find that most fanfic writers are eager to discuss "real" Beatles books too. I am not sure that relegating fanfic people to another forum is exactly fair, either, since most fanfic writers and readers certainly do read and write other things about the Beatles and are as knowledgeable as anyone else regarding the real history.

I don't know, though, that actual fanfic stories in progress should be posted in the Paperback Writer forum -- for one thing, they take up a lot of space, and for another, asking for feedback in such a public place can be embarrassing for the writer if someone dares to say they don't like something, and constant praise is just phoney and accomplishes nothing. But that's another topic for another time, and I certainly have no objections if people want to post their fanfic for critique and discussion.

However I honestly don't see the need for two forums -- lately, there has been a bit more discussion about fanfic in that forum than there has about published biographies and other books. But that is not always the case, and when they do come up in topics, people do pay attention, and there have been some spirited discussions of the merits of various biographies and authors in the past.

Ultimately, the decision is up to Jerry, but that's my view as one of the moderators.

[size="1"][ May 06, 2003, 09:31 AM: Message Edited By: HMVNipper ][/size]
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2003, 09:45 AM   #3
onosideboards
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted By HMVNipper:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Originally Posted By onosideboards:

<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I am one of the moderators of the forum in question, and frankly, I don't see the need for two forums. Of course, that would ultimately be up to Jerry, but just because I write and read fanfic, it doesn't mean, for example, that I'm not qualified to discuss Beatles books and other materials -- I read, I know my Beatles history, and I think you'd find that most fanfic writers are eager to discuss "real" Beatles books too. I am not sure that relegating fanfic people to another forum is exactly fair, either, since most fanfic writers and readers certainly do read and write other things about the Beatles and are as knowledgeable as anyone else regarding the real history.

I don't know, though, that actual fanfic stories in progress should be posted in the Paperback Writer forum -- for one thing, they take up a lot of space, and for another, asking for feedback in such a public place can be embarrassing for the writer if someone dares to say they don't like something, and constant praise is just phoney and accomplishes nothing. But I honestly don't see the need for two forums -- lately, there has been a bit more discussion about fanfic in that forum than there has about published biographies and other books. But that is not always the case, and when they do come up in topics, people do pay attention, and there have been some spirited discussions of the merits of various biographies and authors in the past.

Ultimately, the decision is up to Jerry, but that's my view as one of the moderators.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I didn't mean to offend any fanfic authors and I'm sorry if I did. I'm not saying fanfic isn't written well or anything like that. Just please take a sec to consider my point...

I think that your second paragraph agrees with my point of view...and I'd add to that why WOULDN'T the majority of fanfic authors enjoy a forum where only those interested in reviewing and reading fanfic can discuss it without the intrusion of others who are not interested? I would think it would create a more open discussion about fan fic because it IS scary to share your work. I'm a writer too, so I know exactly what it's like.

And as for a new forum being unfair...I really don't understand that. There are different forums for each Beatle, right? Could that be called unfair? In fact, recently there was some discussion over a Paul article in the general news section that was moved to Red Rose Speedway. I never go to Red Rose Speedway but I may have been interested in Paul news--just not Paul praise/discussion. So, I could argue that that's not fair. Or what about the "Your Mother Should Know" or "Mind Games" forums...why are they seperated from "Abbey Road," or seperated from each other for that matter?

My point is NOT that fanfic is not literature or worthy of discussion. On the contrary, fanfic deserves lots of discussion and therefore its own forum just to keep the place tidy and organized. I do not mean to offend when I say fanfic is different from published works--but you must admit that they posess different goals.
Old May 06, 2003, 10:03 AM   #4
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to lennon4

The reason that Paperback Writer is open to fanfic is because fan fic is a type of literature, as well.

Quote:
...without the intrusion of others who are not interested?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">If people are not interested, they will not reply to a thread -- regardless to what forum the thread is in. And on the filp-side, if there is a person who is not interested, but is there just to cause problems, there is nothing stopping them from going to the other forum and doing the same thing.

Quote:
I never go to Red Rose Speedway but I may have been interested in Paul news...
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Like I mentioned before...nothing is stopping you from scanning all the forums to see what you're interested in.

-lennon4
lennon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2003, 10:05 AM   #5
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

True enough, onosideboards. I guess I misunderstood, because initially I thought you wanted a separate forum because you just didn't consider fanfic worthy of discussion, and I respectfully disagree with any assertion like that. But I think we're on the same page where that is concerned, and I thank you for clarifying! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Yes, I do think fanfic writers do differ considerably from writers of Beatles biographies -- but without attention to the details PRESENTED in those biographies, fanfic is useless! (Okay, I'm a stickler for details, but HONESTLY! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

I think you do make a good point for this, but I also think Kristin (above) makes some good points too -- people are going to respond if they are interested, and skip over if they are not, no matter what forum the topics are in and no matter what the discussions...but as I said, it's ultimately up to Jerry. We'll just have to wait and see what he says, he's the webmaster.

Thanks for clarifying what you meant, though, I appreciate it! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ May 06, 2003, 10:06 AM: Message Edited By: HMVNipper ][/size]
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2003, 10:11 AM   #6
onosideboards
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted By HMVNipper:
True enough, onosideboards. I guess I misunderstood, because initially I thought you wanted a separate forum because you just didn't consider fanfic worthy of discussion, and I respectfully disagree with any assertion like that. But I think we're on the same page where that is concerned, and I thank you for clarifying! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Yes, I do think fanfic writers do differ considerably from writers of Beatles biographies -- but without attention to the details PRESENTED in those biographies, fanfic is useless! (Okay, I'm a stickler for details, but HONESTLY! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

I think you do make a good point for this...but as I said, it's ultimately up to Jerry. We'll just have to wait and see what he says, he's the webmaster.

Thanks for clarifying! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">No problem and thanks for understanding! Yes, we certainly are on the same page.

I'd like to add that I only wish I had the time/energy to write my own fanfic, but that I admire all the work that goes into everyone else's. I think fanfic in general (I've even seen fanfic for HBO's "Six Feet Under") is becoming more of a recognized art, so I'm predicting that the current, large amount of posts regarding fanfic will only grow in the future.
Old May 06, 2003, 10:17 AM   #7
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

The thing is, there are already 20 forums out there. And the Paperback Writer forum is one of the smaller forums already, so splitting it up wouldn't really make much sense. I think it's more than adequate for any written word about the group, fiction or non-fiction.

And in the description, it says to share your fan fiction there, I don't see how much more clear that could be.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2003, 10:19 AM   #8
onosideboards
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jerry:
The thing is, there are already 20 forums out there. And the Paperback Writer forum is one of the smaller forums already, so splitting it up wouldn't really make much sense. I think it's more than adequate for any written word about the group, fiction or non-fiction.

And in the description, it says to share your fan fiction there, I don't see how much more clear that could be.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Ok, it was just an idea. You're right, it's one of the smaller forums in the first place so a division may not be that necessary. Thanks for looking though, Jerry. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old May 06, 2003, 11:01 AM   #9
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:

<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I know the issue's already kind of been settled...but the forum isn't always filled with fan fic questions/discussions. This is the first time in a while that I've seen so many fan fic threads within the forum. It kind of goes in waves...and sometimes there's no new posts about anything at all in the forum.
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote