BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Bootleg Network

Old Apr 04, 2005, 12:22 PM   #1
Legs
Sun King

Default Some bootleg talk of the day

If you have all the tracks of one bootleg on different bootlegs, but not the actual bootleg itself. You then take all the different tracks burn them on one cd, do you then have the bootleg?

I don't have Unsurpassed Masters 4, but I have all the tracks on the Alternate White album, The Peter Sellers Tape, and one more bootleg. I know which versions are on UM4. If I take these versions from the other bootlegs and burn them on one cd, do I then have UM4?

Last edited by Legs : Apr 21, 2005 at 07:52 AM.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2005, 01:12 PM   #2
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Transitively, yeah. Or would that be figuratively....

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2005, 01:20 PM   #3
child of nature
Nowhere Man

Sometimes that is the case; however, when sound quality is at issue, that can make a difference. Doug Sulpy (as of 2004) still considers UM4 core, as well as The Peter Sellers Tape, because they are still the best sources of some tracks. He also considers UM 3, 5, 6, & 7 core.

I highly recommend getting Sulpy's The 910's Guide To The Beatles' Outtakes 2004 Edition for extensive information.

For some uncommon Beatles/Lennon photos, bootleg reviews, screen caps, etc., please visit:
Watching Rainbows: Photos and Commentary
child of nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2005, 02:14 PM   #4
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by child of nature
I highly recommend getting Sulpy's The 910's Guide To The Beatles' Outtakes 2004 Edition for extensive information.
The 910's Guide to

The sound quality does matter, but then I migth not always agree with Sulply.
Anyway to me I always have the feeling that I don't really have a bootleg till I bought it. You can even argue that when you get a cd-r copy of the bootleg, you don't actually owe that bootleg. Ofcourse you owe a cd-r copy of it.

Still need to complete my Unsurpassed Masters colection, but I can't seem to find volumes 4 and 5 anywhere. And no, I don't want to trade for them cause I have the tracks already, I want to have the original set. Sulply might not list the alternate series by Pear as primary sources, which is understandable since Pear just copies their stuff, but the sound quality of the pear cd's are really great.

Last edited by Legs : Apr 04, 2005 at 02:16 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2005, 04:46 PM   #5
child of nature
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs
The 910's Guide to

The sound quality does matter, but then I migth not always agree with Sulply.
Anyway to me I always have the feeling that I don't really have a bootleg till I bought it. You can even argue that when you get a cd-r copy of the bootleg, you don't actually owe that bootleg. Ofcourse you owe a cd-r copy of it.

Still need to complete my Unsurpassed Masters colection, but I can't seem to find volumes 4 and 5 anywhere. And no, I don't want to trade for them cause I have the tracks already, I want to have the original set. Sulply might not list the alternate series by Pear as primary sources, which is understandable since Pear just copies their stuff, but the sound quality of the pear cd's are really great.
That's true; Sulpy states that it's really all subjective. I don't have any of Pear's series, so I don't know a lot about them. I think what matters is just being able to listen to these historic recordings, no matter what the format. I remember when I got The Ultimate Experience 8 cdrom set (the ninth vol. came later) and I almost died of listening pleasure, even though they were mp3s. I eventually began trading for copies of cds that were not mp3 sourced, and kept progressing.

I don't own many original bootleg silver cds, since I mainly trade for what I acquire, but I'm pleased with what I have (around 1200 titles) and grateful to those generous souls who have made it possible. I cherish each of them, though I know they will not last forever.

Many internet labels have emerged to create definitive collections, and they are only traded and are on cd-rs, such as Purple Chick et al. It's a whole new phase in the Beatleg world right now.

For some uncommon Beatles/Lennon photos, bootleg reviews, screen caps, etc., please visit:
Old Apr 04, 2005, 07:53 PM   #6
blue_meenee
Fool On The Hill

Send a message via MSN to blue_meenee Send a message via Yahoo to blue_meenee

About 2 weeks ago, on our of my local classic rock radio stations I heard a bootleg that was thought to be John, but turned out to be people involved with the BeeGees. But it was such a good John knock-off, that even Yoko took out a copyright on it. I've been trying desperately to figure out what the name of it is. The radio show thinks I'm crazy and I didn't heard such a track played by them, but it can't be any other station. We only have one classic rock station here that does a Sunday Beatles show. Anyways, is anyone here familiar with what this song might be and the name of it?
Old Apr 05, 2005, 12:18 PM   #7
Legs
Sun King

Both buying and trading have there advantages and disadvantages.
You always know what you're going to get if you buy your bootlegs. Ofcourse you need to know which bootlegs titles are good and which not to buy, but you don't need to worry about clicks and missing tracks. If you got a disc in from a trade, and it has digital clicks it's never the originial source, meaning the original factory pressed cd. No it means someone has been sleeping and is sending out bad discs, and then someone later on says, oh mine cd got clicks but it originated from the source, in this case meaning not the actual source but the person sending out the bad disc.

Ofcourse buying everything becomes to expensive. I don't really want to buy every Paul is live cd, so in that case I don't mind trading, or even downloading mp3's from the internet. I've got live in Washington, a show from the latest 2004 summer tour, and Paul McCartney at the bridge school that way. And it's true what you say, there are lots of new internet labels offering cd's only through internet, which means that you can almost only obtain them through trading. That's why I am also looking for new contacts, and I try a hand at some of Dr. Ebbets releases.
Old Apr 05, 2005, 01:16 PM   #8
Legs
Sun King

Then there are some reviewers on Bootleg zone giving a good bootleg a bad rating, cause there version is full of clicks. Then I listen to my original version and ofcourse there are no clicks.
Old Apr 06, 2005, 11:57 AM   #9
Miss O'Dell
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Then there are some reviewers on Bootleg zone giving a good bootleg a bad rating, cause there version is full of clicks. Then I listen to my original version and ofcourse there are no clicks.
Yeah, it all depends where you get it from. I always thought those reviews should be on content or compilation rather than quality as thats variable.

Be sure to visit the Beatles Fan Fiction Directory !!
...and Atom Retro - My day job!
Miss O'Dell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2005, 10:56 PM   #10
Pepperland Kamer
Dr. Robert

Theres a UM4 listed on ebay right now

But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only.

Nothing Is Beatle-Proof!!
Pepperland Kamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2005, 11:31 AM   #11
child of nature
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_meenee
About 2 weeks ago, on our of my local classic rock radio stations I heard a bootleg that was thought to be John, but turned out to be people involved with the BeeGees. But it was such a good John knock-off, that even Yoko took out a copyright on it. I've been trying desperately to figure out what the name of it is. The radio show thinks I'm crazy and I didn't heard such a track played by them, but it can't be any other station. We only have one classic rock station here that does a Sunday Beatles show. Anyways, is anyone here familiar with what this song might be and the name of it?
Was that the infamous track "Peace of Mind"??

Old Apr 09, 2005, 07:49 PM   #12
child of nature
Nowhere Man

Actually, I think you may be talking about "Have You Heard The Word" by the Fut (an Australian duo signed by Maurice Gibb), a single released in 1970.

Here is a link to all the information about it! http://www.jpgr.co.uk/fut.html

Old Apr 10, 2005, 09:26 AM   #13
Legs
Sun King

I agree COF. From the description you give Blue meenee Sounds like the songy by the Fut.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 03:10 AM   #14
Paolo Meccano
Taxman

Quote:
Sulply might not list the alternate series by Pear as primary sources, which is understandable since Pear just copies their stuff, but the sound quality of the pear cd's are really great.
Interesting comment about the sound quality of the Pear releases, Legs (I've certainly got no complaints with the CDs I've bought). With that in mind, I'd be interested to know your opinion on which (if any) of the 'Alternate' CDs do a good job of collecting essential material in one place, freeing up the funds of poor Beatleg-collectors for other purchases...
Old Apr 11, 2005, 11:50 AM   #15
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Meccano
With that in mind, I'd be interested to know your opinion on which (if any) of the 'Alternate' CDs do a good job of collecting essential material in one place, freeing up the funds of poor Beatleg-collectors for other purchases...
It depends on how far you want to go. The Alternate Abbey Road is a good cd that gathers together all the "Abbey Road" outtakes that are on "Unsurpassed Masters 5" and "No 3 Abbey Road", plus some loose and ends that are floating on different lesser bootlegs, like 2 minutes of the "Oh Darling" vocal booth, and the version of "I Want You" sung by Paul included just to be sure, since there is still a debate going on wheter it's really Paul or someone else. So it's really all you need, but here is the thing. . . If you're a sad completist like me you still might want to buy "No 3 Abbey Road" not even because of the sessions with Donovan and Paul, but for the ending of "Something". Since pear used Yellow Dog's version that fades out, instead of the vigotone one that ends cold.

"The Alternate White" takes away the need for buying the two new controol room monitors double cd's by Yellow Dog. The few interesting bits like Paul singing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and the whole "F#%k a duck/ Sexy Sadie" part is included. And you come a long way with the Peter Sellers material, but sadly it's not complete. They edited out almost the whole indian chant bit before "Yer Blues". It's a few minutes long on "The Peter Seller's tape" but it's barely a second on "The Alternate White". Now you can either say, I don't really care about that bit Ringo put before "Yer Blues", and just buy the alternate white and be done, or say that indian stuff belongs before that alternate version, and go after "The Peter Seller's" tape. It's not just "Yer Blues" some other stuff has been edited, and you get the stereo mix of "Not Guilty" instead of the version on "The Peter Seller's tape" with the announcement of the enigineer in tact. Again personal choise, do you really care about that kind of stuff.

As for some of the others, The Alternate Revolver and The Alternate Rubber Soul gathers together all the important outtakes that are available.Very little outtakes exist of these two albums, so it's easy to put them on just one cd. But ofcourse you will miss a few mono mixes, but then you need to go after the mono mixes of these albums.

"The Alternate Help" is far from complete, and can best be viewed as a compilation. For complete sessions for Help and the earlier albums, you best search for the 4 cd set, Studio 2 sessions at Abbey Road, by Yellow Dog.

I don't have alternates for the early albums, as I don't find them interesting. Mostly live tracks and BBC sessions. Again go after Studio 2 Sessions, instead. And Unsurpassed Masters is still a good set to get.

Last edited by Legs : Apr 11, 2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:00 AM   #16
Legs
Sun King

I decided to buy the Director's cut of Anthology afteral. I got it for 10 euro less then at the last Beatles meeting. What I don't understand is why there are 10 Dvd's listed on bootleg zone, while the set contains only 5 dvd's. I checked, and the contents are the same. 8 programs, running from July 1940/ March 1963 till January 1969. Plus an exra dvd.

Last edited by Legs : Apr 16, 2005 at 10:00 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:03 AM   #17
Legs
Sun King

I did see the new Yellow Dog cd, A Day In The Life, but it was a cd-r copy. Being that I wasn't so enthusastic about it in the first place, I didn't want to get out the money to buy a cd-r copy. I wait till I can trade with someone.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:56 PM   #18
child of nature
Nowhere Man

Quote:
I decided to buy the Director's cut of Anthology afteral. I got it for 10 euro less then at the last Beatles meeting. What I don't understand is why there are 10 Dvd's listed on bootleg zone, while the set contains only 5 dvd's. I checked, and the contents are the same. 8 programs, running from July 1940/ March 1963 till January 1969. Plus an exra dvd.
My set has 10 DVDs...The original Picture Perfect issue was 10 DVDs, so what you have is just a new compilation of the same material.

And also concerning YD's A Day In The Life--I'm getting it in trade and should have it next week. Of course, it runs quite a bit off-speed, as per usual with YD. Sulpy reviewed it in the latest issue of The 910. What I'm eager to hear is the non-Sessions version of take one of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (Even the Anthology uses the Sessions version!) in master tape sound quality (as opposed to the next best thing on the Abbey Road Video Show).

I'm really interested in acquiring the new upgrades of the "Beatals" tapes, You Might As Well Call Us The Quarrymen. Previously some upgrades appeared on Quarrymen At Home and Anthology Plus.

Old Apr 17, 2005, 01:01 AM   #19
Legs
Sun King

I think that what I have is the same, but with two programs put together on one DvD instead of each program on a seperate dvd.

There is a really splendid non sessions version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on Vigotone's "Another Sessions plus". I really don't need it any better sounding then that.
You stay busy that way, keep getting hold of the same material only with some better sound quality. I am afraid that i'm hard to impress when it comes to new bootlegs, but I am still busy getting hold of some old classics.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 08:40 AM   #20
child of nature
Nowhere Man

Quote:
I think that what I have is the same, but with two programs put together on one DvD instead of each program on a seperate dvd.

There is a really splendid non sessions version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on Vigotone's "Another Sessions plus". I really don't need it any better sounding then that.
You stay busy that way, keep getting hold of the same material only with some better sound quality. I am afraid that i'm hard to impress when it comes to new bootlegs, but I am still busy getting hold of some old classics.
I have Another Sessions...Plus as well. It's wonderful Barrett material--the take one of WMGGW is the Barrett mix from the Abbey Road Video Show that I was writing about earlier.

Now all nine of the stereo remixes of ADITL are available--of course, there's not going to be some life-altering differences in the remixes, but they are newly available. I couldn't afford to buy all these releases, so I just trade for them.

Last edited by child of nature : Apr 17, 2005 at 08:46 AM.