BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Bootleg Network

Old Feb 02, 2005, 07:36 AM   #1
john_frogg
Fool On The Hill

Default Future EMI releases?

Hi! I'm quite new to beatlegs but I have already heard some incredible material. Taking into account what "outtakes" EMI has officially released during these 35 years (basically Anthology, Fly on the wall and now "the Capitol albums" --although these are not really boots--), what do you think EMI would ever release, say in the next 35 years? Here's my bet:

1) The Esher demos

All the Esher demos in stereo (when possible) taken directly from George's original tape. It would not come with that "incredible" second CD included in Vigotone's release, but we would get the definitive release of those songs.

2) The Beatles live!

Either a selection of their best live performances (excluding BBC taped sessions) or (finally!) a CD release of one (or both) of the Hollywood Bowl concerts.

3) The Beatles' last show

The complete release of the rooftop concert, sourced directly from the EMI stereo tapes and not the Nagra rolls.

4) Apple'69

A decent CD with outtakes from the LIB sessions (not that ripoff of "Fly on the wall"). It would probably not contain any Twickenham rehearsals, but only material from the Apple sessions which EMI recorded on tape (such as what was released on the second CD of Anthology 3).

Numbers 3) and 4) would be a good acompanion to this year's LIB release on DVD (a double CD?), although I know that "LIB...Naked" was supposed to be the CD that went along with the DVD.
As you can see, I am not too optimistic as to what they might release, and ceartinly there would be little or no new material that is not available nowadays on bootlegs.

Take your shot! What are your bets?
john_frogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2005, 08:12 AM   #2
AnyRoad69
Banned

Default Re: Future EMI releases?

4) Apple'69

A decent CD with outtakes from the LIB sessions (not that ripoff of "Fly on the wall"). It would probably not contain any Twickenham rehearsals, but only material from the Apple sessions which EMI recorded on tape (such as what was released on the second CD of Anthology 3).

Numbers 3) and 4) would be a good acompanion to this year's LIB release on DVD (a double CD?), although I know that "LIB...Naked" was supposed to be the CD that went along with the DVD.
As you can see, I am not too optimistic as to what they might release, and ceartinly there would be little or no new material that is not available nowadys on bootlegs.
AnyRoad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2005, 06:53 AM   #3
Paolo Meccano
Taxman

Given the success of Led Zeppelin's 'How the West Was Won', I'd be very surprised if a live Beatles set wasn't imminent.
Paolo Meccano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2005, 11:28 AM   #4
Pepperland Kamer
Dr. Robert

Especially with the 40th anniversary of the Shea concert. Plus I wouldn't be too surprised if the hollywood bowl getes released on cd sometime
Pepperland Kamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2005, 01:20 PM   #5
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

I don't know. First of all, the screaming audience pretty much wrecks most live Beatles recordings. And when you find good recordings where you can hear the band....well, they just don't sound that great. Let's face it, they weren't a good live band during those Beatlemania years.

So then there is the really early stuff, pre-Beatlemania. They do play well, but the sound quality of the actual recordings is nearly always awful. And I do mean awful.

And that leaves the rooftop show, where they play very well and the sound quality is excellent. It gets my vote. I'll probably broadcast this next week on the radio thing, it's worth a listen.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2005, 05:37 AM   #6
Paolo Meccano
Taxman

You could make the same point regarding sound quality about the 'Live at the BBC' and 'Anthology' sets though, Jerry. However, a tracklisting which drew on live recordings from all available eras of the Beatles' career would surely bypass such quibbles due to the sheer historical significance and importance of some tracks.
Paolo Meccano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2005, 08:46 AM   #7
Legs
Sun King

With EMI you never know. Looking back at releases from the passed, they always seem to find a way to screw things up.

Instead of teh much talked about original Get Back album we got Let it Be Naked, and on the Anthology you'll find more outfakes then on any bad bootleg.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2005, 01:03 AM   #8
john_frogg
Fool On The Hill

Yeah, I forgot about that one. Apple/EMI could actaully still release the original Get Back album. Since I doubt they will do it for this year's LIB DVD, they could bring it out for the 50th anniversary of the film... that is, in the year 2020. Only that they would probably goof that one too and present us a hybrid of Glyn's two mixes...
john_frogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2005, 04:14 AM   #9
Dalek Attack
Fool On The Hill

Hay ho all. I used to post here as Dr. Kite before loosing an email address and my password. Anyway, i recently posted on this subject to another group and this is what i would like to see released at some point before the end of time:

1. All packages to come out on 5 or 10 year anniversaries.

2. Packages to consist of the Mono versions remastered. You can't get past the fact that the Beatles and George Martin knew what they were doing when they were mixing in Mono. They were also the intended mix for most of the albums. All that is required here is better definiation of sound, maybe a slight boost to Paul's bass which is virtually non-existent on a lot of the CD tracks (which could technically count as a remix i suppose). The mono remasters of Village Green Preservation Society, Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Pet Sounds all sound like they were recorded yesterday. Plus some of the tracks would sound better in mono, just because a stereo mix would sound unbalanced or loose some impact. Both Village Green and Pet Sounds have tracks which still sound better in mono, even though the tracks have more detail and seperation in stereo. A good example is "wouldn't it be nice), the stereo version has tons more seperation, but the drum is stuck out on the right ear, which means when there isn't a drum beat the mix is lopsided, the track looses a lot of it's drive too. Sometimes mono is better, I've often thought that for real authenticity the White Stripes should record in mono, their tracks would pack more punch with very little loss of detail and seperation in the sound.

3. Stereo Remixes. This would be controversial, there would be the innevitable arguement about "correcting" the Beatles artistic intention and of John & George not being around to have their say. I don't think that the first arguement holds water, the Beatles artistic intention really only applies to the Mono mixes. It was the mono mixes where the Beatles as a group and George Martin as producer concentrated their efforts. The attitude of the band, up to and including the white album, was to basically hand the mono mix over to their engineers and say: "here you go lads make us a stereo mix". Most of the engineers involved have said much less time and effort was spent on the stereo mixes than the Mono by the engineering team too.

The second arguement is a little harder to deflect, but the deaths of band members didn't stop the release of other bands remixes, i think the key thing is that independent people do the mix, then the committee of four get their say as is the norm with beatle releases. The mono remasters will keep the band sound true to what John, George, Paul and Ringo intended at the time. As long as Paul and Ringo aren't involved in the remixing i think everything would basically be fair and equitable.

On the existing CD alnums the sound is muddy, when you listen over headphones most of the tracks favour one ear, there is, for example, a real imbalance in the whole of the Help album. Even the later albums are not exempt from this. A basic remastering would amount to restoring a badly sounding flawed mix to a good sounding flawed mix. The remix of Elanor Rigby on the Yellow Sumbarine album released a few years back is a classic example of how to improve an already great track. Paul's vocals are that much clearer, the dated strings on the left, voice on the right stereo mix is gone. In it's place is a modern mix, vocals in the middle, stings to the left and right. Everything with crystal clarity.

On the other hand you've got the Lucy mix, with Paul's voice being too prominent. However, that was an error that could and should have been corrected before release. It's not that there was something wrong with remixing, rather that there was something wrong with the remixer. Similarly any remixing would have to leave any effects on John's voice as they are, which Lucy did not do. I appreciate the unrevereb Lennon vocal as much as anyone (amd applauded the reduction of the reverb on his solo releases), but the reverb on the Beatles tracks was always more naturalistic and intrinsic to the mood of the tracks than the electronic reverb on his solo songs. Again, i see this as being more of a problem with the remixer(s), than the actual notion of remixing.

4. Surround Mixes. In an ideal world this is all you would need. But, surround isn't portable and you can't listen to it quitely in bed. Aside from that surround is the ideal way to get a definitive mix of anything imo. You get even more seperation and detail than with stereo but, in the case of The Beatles, you can maintain the integrity of the original mono mix. So for example, the "ZZZZZZZ", "ZZZZZZZZ", "ZZZZZZZ", "ZZZZZZZZ" in lovely rita doesn't go from side to side, as in the stereo mix, but stays in the centre and goes from the Front Centre speakers to the Rear Center (in 6.1) or split between Rear left and right (in 5.1), thereby maintaining the balance of the original mono mix. Similarly the tide in Yellow submarine can go in and out through the centre (as in the mono mix) rather than left to right, as in the stereo mix on the newer Yellow Submarine album. Appropriate videos for each track, ala "Lennon Legend".

5. No bonus tracks. Singles to be released in seperate package. An additional disc for each package with all 3 types of mixes would be acceptible, but i don't want a new song kicking in once A Day in the Life etc etc have finished.

6. Let it Be and Let it Be Naked, remixed into surround. Give folks a choice. Failing that re-instate the get back coda, use some technical wizardry to correct the Naked versions lyrics in Let it Be and add in the correct guitar solo and just release Naked in surround.

7. Mono/stereo and surround mixes of the all the singles in their own package.

8. Rooftop Concert/Shea/Hollywood Bowl concert DVDs.

9. Subsription based FLAC downloads of the Get Back Sessions in best sound possible (with political arguements edited out if necessary to get the damn things released, key thing for me here is the songs, not the chat).

10. Subscription based FLAC downloads of anything else. Ie demo's, alternate takes, rejected stereo remixes, isolations (so here Non-reverbed John vocal would be appropriate).

Last edited by Dalek Attack : Mar 02, 2005 at 04:15 AM. Reason: typo
Dalek Attack is offline   Reply With Quote