BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Apr 02, 2003, 02:53 PM   #1
IWantToTellYou
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to IWantToTellYou
Default Read Any Good Books Lately?

I see a lot of people like to escape with music? Does anyone escape with books? I do all the time! I love reading!

I have finished reading a great book! I thought I would share it with you all. It is a fiction novel with the title: "A Journal Of The Plague Year" written by Daniel Defoe in 1722. (Defoe has also written Moll Flanders and Robinson Crusoe)

This book is about the plague (or Black Death), that killed thousands of people in Europe in the 1600s. It is a real page turner...But I must warn you, the language that he writes in is "old" English if you will.

It is hauntingly eerie, and sometimes graphic. It leaves a lot to the imagination, and makes you wonder what it would have been like to live through such a horrible thing. I really suggest you read this book! Mind you I have always been interested in the plague, and said one day I would even move to Eyam, Derbyshire! So maybe that is why I like it so much!

Have you read any good books lately?

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
IWantToTellYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2003, 02:58 PM   #2
Sgt.McCartney
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to Sgt.McCartney
Default Re: Read Any Good Books Lately?

"Murder on the Orient Express" by Agatha Christie
"Through The Looking Glass" by Lewis Carroll
"The A, B, C Murders" by Agatha Christie
Sgt.McCartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2003, 03:56 PM   #3
Danoota64
Wild Honey Pie

Marian Keyes has become my fave female writer and i'm about to start "Watermelon." Just finished "Last Chance Saloon." fabulous! the story of two women and one gay man and all the crap that happens to them, based in London.

On Saturday I got "Spin Cycle" by Sue Margolis, another British author, out of the library and read it all in one day - it was that good! the story of a woman who's about to get married and she meets this washing machine repairman.

[img]graemlins/peace.gif[/img]
Danoota64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2003, 02:31 AM   #4
BrazilianFlag
Bulldog

I've been catching up with my reading lately. Some of the best books I've read so far in 2003:

"The Blind Assassin", Margaret Altwood
"Possession", A.S. Byatt (rules! I loved the movie but became obsessed with the book)
"Heart of Darkness", Joseph Conrad (I finally found a decent translation of this book to my mother tongue, and I'm loving it)
BrazilianFlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2003, 07:24 AM   #5
L'Angelo Misterioso
Bulldog

The last book I've enjoyed very much is "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho that my girlfriend gave me as a birthday present. It's definitely one of the best books I've ever read.
L'Angelo Misterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2003, 07:46 AM   #6
shyGirl
Sun King

The book I'm currently reading for one of my classes is pretty good. It's called "Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By In America" by Barbara Ehrenreich.
shyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2003, 07:49 AM   #7
beatlelover45223

Just finished "By The Light Of The Moon" by Dean Koontz this was not one of his better books, I like to be scared a little when I read, I am also reading "Chicken Soup For The Animal Lovers Soul", I just finished "Chicken Soup For The Sisters Soul" the Chicken Soup books have some heart warming & touching stories in them..
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2003, 12:04 PM   #8
beatlewho01-02
Wild Honey Pie

We just finished reading 'To Kill a Mockingbird' in school. Now we're reading Farenheit 451 which is very interesting so far. Reminds me of the 'Twilight Zone' ::cue music::.
beatlewho01-02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2003, 07:14 PM   #9
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

I remember reading To Kill A Mockingbird and Farenheit 451 in school also! And that was quite some time ago! [img]graemlins/wink3.gif[/img]

To Kill A Mockingbird was such a good book! I loved it. I've read it many times, even as an adult.
Savoy Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2003, 11:40 PM   #10
Sexy_Sadie
Mr. Moonlight

The last book I read (other than stupid school textbooks [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ) was "Catch Me If You Can" by William Abignale, the book that the movie was based on. If you have seen the movie and think that it was incredible, wait until you read the book. It is a little bit different from the movie (mainly the order of events), but the book explains so much about HOW and why Abignale got away with his schemes. It also has several sections that weren't in the movie, such as his prison stay, which will leave you wondering how the guy is even alive today! I recommend this book - it's exciting and interesting.
Sexy_Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2003, 03:29 AM   #11
BrazilianFlag
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted By L'Angelo Misterioso:
The last book I've enjoyed very much is "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho that my girlfriend gave me as a birthday present. It's definitely one of the best books I've ever read.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Paulo Coelho's Brazil's most famous writer. I don't quite appreciate his style, but I have to admit he's good in what he does...
BrazilianFlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2003, 04:00 AM   #12
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted By Danoota64:
Marian Keyes has become my fave female writer and i'm about to start "Watermelon."
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Oh, isn't she good? I love all her books...I bought a bunch of them in England a year and a half ago and I still have one left because I'm savoring them. It's nice to read SMART romantic comedies. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I always feel intimidated in topics like this. I read CONSTANTLY (I'm one of those people who reads a book while walking down the sidewalk!), but I read for entertainment, so it's mostly mysteries, romantic comedies, really lightweight stuff. And you all read classics and HEAVY HEAVY meaningful things, so I feel a bit of a flake! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Apr 04, 2003, 05:02 AM: Message Edited By: Rellevart ][/size]
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2003, 05:15 AM   #13
Lynner

I love to read. Being the mom of two very active kids doesn't always give me time to curl up with a book, but I try! Rell' often loans/gives me great romance novels. I love Ellery Queen mysteries, too. The book I'm currently reading is "The moose that roared" which is the backgound of how the Rocky & Bullwinkle show came into being. It's surprisingly interesting. I've enjoyed the cartoon show for years and it's interesting to learn all the behind the scenes stuff.
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2003, 05:48 PM   #14
i_am_free
Apple Scruff

the Green Mile- Stephen King
i_am_free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2003, 09:57 AM   #15
jtal909
Sun King

Replay, by Ken Grimwood:
highly recommend about a guy who dies at the age of 40, but wakes up as a teenager with all his memories. On the same day at 40 the same thing happens but he "replays" from a later moment each time and lives his life differently and interacts with people he knew in other lives. It gets romantic toward the end as he falls in love with another replayer and they try to meet in each replay.
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2003, 10:32 AM   #16
Ahcri Slate
Apple Scruff

Dragon Eyes By Stephen King
The neighbor by R.L. Stine
But my favourite book is the Beatles Anthology! (and I'm only half the way through) [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Has anyone read "In his own write"? Can it be found in bookstores?
Ahcri Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2003, 04:57 PM   #17
EasternBird
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via MSN to EasternBird

Quote:
Originally Posted By Ahcri Slate:
Has anyone read "In his own write"? Can it be found in bookstores?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I spotted it at Barnes & Noble a few months ago...I guess it was reprinted at some point.

I haven't read much fiction at all lately. I guess real-life stories are bizarre enough! [img]graemlins/wink1.gif[/img] I just finished reading "Live From New York," the history of Saturday Night Live. It's really interesting, and there are some great Beatle anecdotes in it! [img]graemlins/smile1.gif[/img]

As for fiction, I guess the last books I read were the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series. Extremely weird, but extremely funny! And there are some fun Beatle references there too. [img]graemlins/teeth1.gif[/img]
EasternBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2003, 12:21 AM   #18
Sexy_Sadie
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted By Rellevart:

I always feel intimidated in topics like this. I read CONSTANTLY (I'm one of those people who reads a book while walking down the sidewalk!), but I read for entertainment, so it's mostly mysteries, romantic comedies, really lightweight stuff. And you all read classics and HEAVY HEAVY meaningful things, so I feel a bit of a flake! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Yeah, but Rell, you read "Twilight of the Gods," so I'd say that you're more of a "snob" than a flake! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Just kidding!
Sexy_Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2003, 06:50 AM   #19
biglou114
Bulldog

Send a message via AIM to biglou114

Well I just finished This Wheel's On Fire, By Levon Helm. It was very interesting to read The Band's story told by their originally Member.
biglou114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2003, 06:58 AM   #20
Clark Kent
Sun King

Lucky Man by Michael J Fox
Clark Kent is offline   Reply With Quote