BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Oct 15, 2004, 04:54 PM   #1
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

Default Abbey Road On The River Moves to Louisville

Abbey Road On The River Moves to Louisville

Abbey Road On The River is going on the road..
And Moving To the Ohio River
May 27-29, 2005

Abbey Road On the River heads down I-71 to Louisville

To all of our friends, customers, and supporters:

It's Official!

After three fab years in Cleveland, we are pleased to announce today that our famed tribute to The Fab Four is relocating to a new, permanent home in beautiful Louisville, Kentucky.

In partnership with Louisville promoters/Beatle fans, David Dean and Eric Wiegel,
we have earned the backing of Mayor Jerry Abramson,The Louisville Convention and Visitors Bureau,103.1WRKA, 107.7SFR, and a title sponsor we will introduce at a press conference November 12, featuring 1964: The Tribute.

Our event will be held on Memorial Day Weekend, May 27-29, 3 weeks after Louisville's most famous festival; The Kentucky Derby.

Our new venue located on the banks of the Ohio River is the Kentucky Center, and The Belvedere Festival Park.

Our host hotel, the legendary Galt House is right on the property. Hotel guests will be able to see some of the stages directly from their rooms. And stages, how about 4 outdoor on The Belvedere, and 3 inside at The Kentucky Center?

And music for those stages, well already, we have over 20 acts booked, including many of your very favorite tribute bands.

There's so much to tell you about Abbey Road '05, and Louisville, so stay tuned, because we will be announcing all the travel and ticket details, bands, artists, films, and all the things you want to know on Nov. 12th.

In the meantime, we couldn't wait to share this fantastic opportunity, and encourage you to save the dates.

I would like to sincerely thank The City of Cleveland, our sponsors, and all its great citizens and officials for supporting Abbey Road On The River these last three years. It's been my hometown since the last time The Indians won The World Series, and I'm very proud to be a "Clevelander".

Now, it's time to get to work because we are all committed to elevating Abbey Road On The River from a great event to a world class destination...and there's only 7 1/2 months left.

Best Regards,
Gary Jacob
and,

David Dean
Eric Wiegel
I am the Paulrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 08:08 AM   #2
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9
Default Re: Abbey Road On The River Moves to Louisville

Yeah I got that message yesterday. I kinda wish it wasnt moving. I liked where it was and when it was (for obvious reasons) i dont think i'll be able to get down there....
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:24 AM   #3
ShellyP
Apple Scruff

I live in Louisville and promise you will like it here. It's a great place, and we have a wonderful riverfront park. It's less expensive here, too. Cheap flights into our newly renovated airport. Louisville has a big arts community. The Tribute plays here (they played in May and will again in November). If anyone needs help with directions, restaurants, or hotels, let me know.
ShellyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:28 AM   #4
ShellyP
Apple Scruff

By the way, down on the riverfront, there is also a very nice new baseball stadium if you want to take in a game while you're here. There's also an extreme park--where the X-Games were held just a few blocks up from the river. Fourth Street Live is also downtown and has a new Hard Rock Cafe where much Ringo memoribilia lives.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 03:35 AM   #5
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

[ QUOTE ]
ShellyP Posted:
I live in Louisville and promise you will like it here. It's a great place, and we have a wonderful riverfront park. It's less expensive here, too. If anyone needs help with directions, restaurants, or hotels, let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, sounds like a ringing endorsement! I may just take you up on that offer of help next spring...if the band I play with gets asked to play again, I'll most likely be there.
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 06:03 AM   #6
hrddysnt47
Nowhere Man

Send a message via AIM to hrddysnt47

thanks for the offer shelly i may take you up on it. i dunno. i'm kind of upset. when gary mentioned it to me a few weeks ago, his question was "do you go to arotr just because it's close, in cleveland, or do you like the festival itself?" well come on. everyone who's been there loves that festival. oh well. we'll just have to see. i'm kind of bummed that i probably won't be able to show art there because of the distance. maybe i could. i dunno. everything's up in the air. haha
hrddysnt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 02:40 PM   #7
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Well the main reason I cant go is cuz my family and I always go to Beatlefest in Chicago. With my $14,000 a-year college tuition, i just know we couldnt afford to do both...
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 08:51 AM   #8
joenamherst
Dr. Robert

Another reason that I hate to see AROTR move away from Cleveland is The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. AROTR gave thousands of people a chance to see this wonderful place.
In 2005 the Rockhall is supposed to have the long awaited George Harrison exhibit. I will definately go to Cleveland for this.
Does anyone know why the R&R HOF wasn't on the list of AROTR sponsors?
joenamherst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 06:29 PM   #9
donnamariemoreno27
Mr. Moonlight

Send a message via AIM to donnamariemoreno27

[ QUOTE ]
ShellyP Posted:
I live in Louisville and promise you will like it here. It's a great place, and we have a wonderful riverfront park. It's less expensive here, too. Cheap flights into our newly renovated airport. Louisville has a big arts community. The Tribute plays here (they played in May and will again in November). If anyone needs help with directions, restaurants, or hotels, let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shelley P...I'm there girlfriend If were LUCKY enough to have another AROTR, I won't complain...and I will definitely take you up on your offer on flts,hotel, etc...
The point is, it will be a "beatle filled weekend" and that's OK by me!

Donna~
donnamariemoreno27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 05:37 AM   #10
BeatlesScruff
Mr. Moonlight

<font color="green"> *sighs*... But I like in Ohio and it's the only and closest Beatle event around. It's the only one that I can attend right now as well!!!!!!

Tiff Lennon </font>
BeatlesScruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 06:10 AM   #11
jklein87
Apple Scruff

Send a message via AIM to jklein87 Send a message via Yahoo to jklein87

Hey, I live in LOuisville too and this is great for me because i never have been to the one in cleveland so i am really glad that out of all places on the river, they chose louisville!
jklein87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 05:09 PM   #12
ShellyP
Apple Scruff

Well, I have driven the 5+ hours to Cleveland these past few years, and it really isn't that bad of a trip. It's all on the interstate. I went to the RRHOF the times I was there, and unless they have a great rotating exhibit, you've seen it all before. You might just have some fun here in the River City, as we call it. I'd rather see it move than not exist at all. My guess is that Gary was able to get more sponsors here and a cheapter venue so he can make some money to keep it going.

I just checked flights. You can go from Cleveland to Louisville on Friday, May 27, returning on Monday, May 30, for $181 on Continental. It's $192 on American, Northwest, and United. That's pretty cheap. Southwest has Fun Fares for $68, but they are not booking flights past April 1 yet.

I travel constantly for my job, so I have TONS of hotel points. Maybe I could book a free room and some of you could crash there if it meant you couldn't go otherwise. I hope to see you there! Maybe I'll have the BeatleLinkers over to my house so we can meet!
Old Oct 27, 2004, 05:19 PM   #13
mccartneymaniac
Dr. Robert

i am sorry it is leaving here. i wont get to kentucky so i guess that is an event of the past for me too bad they should have hooked up to the rock hall especially since theya re doing george next year.
mccartneymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 09:13 PM   #14
donnamariemoreno27
Mr. Moonlight

Shelley P-thanks for tips on the airlines, my flt will obviously be more expensive since I'm flying out from L.A.,but I will start checking on airlines &amp; prices. What hotel do you recommend? Your really being cool w/ the info/tips

Trust me...I'm not complaining, Gary did what he had to do to keep this festival going!

Donna~
Old Oct 28, 2004, 09:59 AM   #15
Rellevart

I think it'll be an interesting change and I'm definitely glad it's not competing with the other August events for my Beatle dollar (ha ha) anymore. Being on the road Memorial Day weekend doesn't thrill me, but we'll see if there's a way to work around that.

Thanks for the info, Shelly. I won't make a firm committment until after the press conference and after they say which bands are playing. If they ask us or if one or two of my favorites are playing, I'll almost assuredly be there, but if they don't ask us and they don't invite any of my favorite bands, then probably not. Looking forward to finding out more in a couple weeks.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 05:35 PM   #16
ShellyP
Apple Scruff

There are several good hotels downtown near the venue. The Galt House is a 1970s hotel that has recently been renovated. The rooms are very nice now. It is right downtown next to the venue. www.galthouse.com. There is also a Hyatt, a Courtyard Marriott, and there will be a brand-new Marriott opening in April.

New Marriott
280 West Jefferson
Louisville, KY 40202
Phone: (502) 627-5045

Courtyard Marriott
100 S 2nd St
Louisville, KY 40202
Phone: (502) 562-0200

Hyatt
320 West Jefferson St
Louisville, KY 40202
Phone: (502) 587-3434

The Seelbach Hilton (OLD fancy hotel where famous people stay)
500 South 4th St
Louisville, KY 40202
Phone: (502) 585-3200

Camberly Brown Hotel (another OLD hotel where famous people stay)
335 West Broadway
Louisville, KY 40202
Phone: (502) 583-1234

Doubletree Hotel
101 East Jefferson St
Louisville, KY 40202
Phone: (502) 585-2200

That ought to give you a start! If you are driving, you might prefer to stay away from downtown where it may be less expensive. Let me know if you need more info.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 05:58 PM   #17
Rellevart

Did y'all notice that some of the bands have been posted on the website and that the super expensive fancy tickets are going on sale tomorrow morning at 8:00 (CT)? Details seem a little sketchy as of now and most of the regular tickets don't go on sale until February, but if it's important to you to be RIGHT in the front at ALL the shows, you might want to check it out ASAP.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 06:16 PM   #18
ShellyP
Apple Scruff

The Smithereens will be there, too! You can see some nice pics of our waterfront/downtown. I hope you will all come!
Old Nov 12, 2004, 03:42 AM   #19
Rellevart

I'm a dope, the packages go on sale MONDAY, not today. Duh, that's what I get for not paying close enough attention.

Shelly - do you like the Smithereens? I LOVE them, have seen them many times, have all their albums, have met Pat a couple times - I'm very excited about the possibility of seeing them there!
Old Nov 15, 2004, 05:17 PM   #20
donnamariemoreno27
Mr. Moonlight

Well folks...just made my booked my travel package (3 day's) this afternoon. Shelly P-thanks for all your helpful tips. I made my reservation at the Galt House Hotel...And I'm in the 3rd row for the main events...

So now that's left is the flt arrangements...and the band line-up looks pretty good so far

Donna~