BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Sep 28, 2007, 09:45 AM   #1
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

Default Rock Hall Nominations Class of 2008

This year's nomination list includes pop queen Madonna, John MellenCamp, punk rappers Beastie Boys, disco diva Donna Summer, and freak out its Chic.

Possible discussion points:

Which act(s) do you think should or should not be inducted out of this list, and why?

Which act(s) have not been inducted that should be included in the 2008 class?

Talk amongst yourselves....

__________________________________________________ ________________

Source: i Won.com

Sep 28, 12:45 PM (ET)

(AP) Madonna performs at the Live Earth concert at London's Wimbley Stadium, July 7, 2007. She joins...
Full Image

NEW YORK (AP) - Here's something Madonna can really celebrate: a nomination to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Madge joins heartland rocker John Mellencamp, the puckish rappers Beastie Boys and premier dance acts Donna Summer and Chic among the nine nominees for the hall. The five leading vote-getters will be inducted in the annual ceremony March 10, 2008, at New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

The other nominees are rap pioneer Afrika Bambaataa, literate songwriter Leonard Cohen, the original British Invasion combo The Dave Clark Five and surf rock instrumentalists The Ventures.

The nominations illustrate how far the Hall of Fame has stretched its definition of rock 'n' roll to incorporate a variety of musical styles.

It's certainly the case with Madonna, the Detroit-area native who burst out of New York dance clubs in the early 1980s with "Holiday" and soon became a pop culture icon. She scored 17 Top 10 hits in the 1980s alone and is due to put out an album next year, working with the likes of Timbaland and Justin Timberlake.

The Beastie Boys molded punk rock and rap into the goofy hit "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right to Party." They became critical favorites and are still together, releasing an instrumental album this year.

Indiana's own Mellencamp can fill a barrel with rock hits like "Hurts So Good,""Pink Houses" and "R.O.C.K. in the USA." Like Chic and the Dave Clark Five, he's been nominated before without getting into the hall.

Some 500 musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote on the inductions.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:37 AM   #2
Georgie Girl
Sun King

Oh my god, the Beastie Boys. How ironic, when Madonna played
here, they were her opening act. They were boo'ed.

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:11 AM   #3
joenamherst
Dr. Robert

Even tho I do like Leonard Cohen, he should not be in the R&R HOF.
Can anyone name ONE song that Africa Bambaataa has done? Believe it or don't....I can. 'World Destruction', which is a fine message to send out to all the children. It was played during the Sopranos a few years back.
Next year I nominate Barry Manilow and Eddie Murphy!
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:45 AM   #4
joenamherst
Dr. Robert

I just read this on cbssportline.com. Someone suggested that they change the name of the R&R HOF to The Mistake By The Jake!
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:55 AM   #5
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenamherst View Post
I just read this on cbssportline.com. Someone suggested that they change the name of the R&R HOF to The Mistake By The Jake!
Hey Hey Hey.... there will be no Cleveland bashing on my watch. Though you may be accurate..... Long Live the Burning River.

Now Jann Wenner... he is fair game.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:27 PM   #6
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Yes, it's getting pretty grim these days. Seriously, in a few years the induction ceremony will be a complete joke.

Speaking of Cleveland, I'm going out there soon. I always wanted to check out the hall, and I timed it with the Van Halen show. So it'll be a nice 2 days of music.

Last edited by Jerry : Sep 28, 2007 at 12:28 PM.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 03:11 PM   #7
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

This is a good place to insert the Sex Pistols heart felt response to Jann Wenner 's invitation for the groups '06 Rock Hall induction.

http://www.thefilthandthefury.co.uk/.../congrat1a.jpg

Does anyone think that Punk belongs in the RRHOF?

How about Iggy Pop or the Stooges?
Old Sep 29, 2007, 07:32 AM   #8
Hari's Chick

The Sex Pistols' note and refusal to go was perfect! It could not have been played out more perfectly in any way. The note becomes a part of their charm and history, and while I know some were offended, I was delighted with it!

They are kicking off their tour soon in Hollywood, with the next stop London.

As for the list, cool Madonna is going to be inducted. She should have been long ago. The rest I'm not too impressed with. John Mellencamp's okay and has some rockers, but I'm nto convinced he belongs in the HoF, which should be limited to extreme greats. It'd be better to induct fewer if they can't think of more peak acts. I'd like to see Arlo inducted, or Donovan...
Old Sep 30, 2007, 05:38 AM   #9
joenamherst
Dr. Robert

KMAC, I would never bash Cleveland. I 've been visiting Cleveland since the 60's. Some of my biggest sports memories are from Cleveland.....Seeing the best football player there ever was or ever will be, Jim Brown, Seeing Gayle Sayers, Seeing those Lombardi powerhouses......brings a tear to me eye......
As matter of fact Cleveland and New York City are two places that I would consider moving to!
Old Sep 30, 2007, 05:44 AM   #10
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

Joe, I just want to return to the mid 80's Kosar era... oh to have a competitive football team in Cleveland.

But you experienced one of the greatest teams ever... priceless.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 06:16 AM   #11
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

Here is the Inductee list since 1986:

Rock Hall Inductees

Old Sep 30, 2007, 06:25 AM   #12
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

Should Del Shannon have been inducted over some of the pioneering acts of the 60s and 50s?

Should Devo be nominated?

How about nominating progressive rock acts like Yes, early Genesis and Jethro Tull, Rush?