BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Come Together

Old Nov 07, 2002, 02:32 PM   #1
alliesun
Bulldog

Default Re: A Fabulous Beatley Day!

Oh... How fun! I'm glad you had such a wonderful day...

It's raining here (for the first time since January), and I've played "Rain" a bazillion times.

Don't you just love good days?

------------------
"Kindness is wisdom."
alliesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2002, 02:52 PM   #2
bitagirl
Bulldog

That is so cool! Now I know the places I have to go when I go to NYC finally! Glad you two had a good day!

------------------
"You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom. "
- Malcolm X
bitagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2002, 03:17 PM   #3
Magill
Sun King

Wow, what a great day! I'm so happy for you and Kristin! I must say I'm a tad bit jealous. When my friend and I go to NY (hopefully sometime next year), I'll have to ditch her for a day and see all these sites. She's not a Beatle person and could probably care less. But maybe you could show me around, Susan. I'd love to meet you.

------------------
"I'm not really a career person. I'm a gardner, basically." George, 2000

Soon we'll all be Brainwashed.
Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2002, 03:19 PM   #4
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

I'm ready and willing to meet up with any and all Beatlelinkers who come to NYC, provided my schedule works out...just lemme know!

And yes, it was a GREAT day!!!

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. November 2002 Issue Now Up!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2002, 03:35 PM   #5
SF4-EVER

Glad to know you and Kristin had a good time, Susan! Next time I come to NYC, I'd like to go to Cafe LaFortuna.

------------------

Rooftop Sessions--a monthly e-zine of fab Beatles fan fiction
Lennon's Line--A science fiction series about John's descendants--Updated 10/25/02
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2002, 08:03 PM   #6
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to lennon4

I was wondering if I'd come across a topic about our day today, and lo and behold -- here it is!

What can I say? I had the most fun in those short hours together, than I have had in all my NYC trips combined!

I can't wait to get all of my photos developed! (Susan- wouldn't it be cool if he happened to show up in one of them? I'd absolutely die...)

The rest of my day sucked after that. Basically waiting until 6:45 pm to catch the bus home...finding places to use the restroom, ducking in and out of shops to stay warm, etc, etc.

I can't believe I got to sit at John's table, use the men's bathroom (the ladies' was out of order) , meet Alistair, and go in the Dakota! I'm still on a Lennon-high, so to speak.

Thanks for today, Susan! We'll have to do it again.

-lennon4

------------------

Imagine. (it's here)

~All You Need Is Love~

*Need Beatles Art? E-mail Me!*
lennon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2002, 08:08 PM   #7
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

I'm glad you two had such a fun day!!! God, I have to get to NYC one of these years!

------------------
Beatlegirl's World -- Home of fan fics "The Beatles: Live at 12 Cold Creek Street" and "Days in the Life"
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2002, 11:27 PM   #8
HMVNipper
Sun King

Default A Fabulous Beatley Day!

Okay, you guys, I can't wait to tell you all this! I'm sure Kristin (Lennon4) will be chiming in with her bit as soon as she gets home, but as it will be several hours, I get to tell this story first!

We had a FABULOUS Beatley day today -- Kristin came into NYC on a bus trip through her school, and we met up for lunch, etc. I met her by the Metropolitan Museum at around 11:15 this morning, and we walked across Central Park to Strawberry Fields. When we got there, she left a copy of a scan of her beautiful oil painting of the Beatles on the mosaic, and we took a few pictures. And then we went over to Cafe LaFortuna on 71st Street for lunch.

For those of you who do not know, LaFortuna is the cafe where John and Yoko used to spend a lot of time during their time living at the Dakota. It's this sweet little cafe on the side street, and they used to like going there because no one ever bothered them. Anyway, I've been there many times, for coffee and cake, for lunch -- and I promised Kristin we could go and have lunch there, and even sit at "John's Table." (There's a round table in the corner that he liked to sit at.)

Anyway...the thing was this -- when I was at the Boston Beatlefest this past weekend, one of the guests was Alistair Taylor, Brian Epstein's right-hand man, and someone who knew the Beatles from the beginning. And I got to talking with him and his friends from Liverpool who were at the fest with him, and they mentioned that they were coming down to NYC for a few days after the fest, and that they were going to take Alistair to LaFortuna, because he'd never been there before. And *I* said, gee, I'll be having lunch there with my friend from Pennsylvania on Thursday, wouldn't it be cool if we ran into you. And they said they would try to come on Thursday, but as they were going back to England that day they weren't sure. I left it at that, and didn't expect much, but thought it would be cool if we ended up there at the same time.

Well, to make a long story short -- a few minutes after Kristin and I started eating, who should walk in but Alistair and company! VERY COOL -- we ended up pretty much having lunch with them, chatting about a bunch of things (Alistair did tell a couple of good Beatle stories, but mostly it was some moaning about the inadequacy of the NJ Beatlefest hotel, if you can believe that!), and generally had a very nice time! But too cool -- lunch with Alistair Taylor!!!!

And then after we left the cafe, Kristin wrote a note to Yoko on the back of another copy of her painting, and we took it over to the Dakota -- and the doorman told us to take it around back to the service entrance and go in and leave it for her...so we did! We went inside the basement of the Dakota and left the picture, and the man there assured us that Yoko would indeed get it...of course, if Kristin gets a note or something, I'm SURE she will tell us!!

But anyway, it was a WONDERFUL Beatley day -- met up with a fellow BLinker, had lunch with someone from the inner circle, and got inside the Dakota (well, more or less)...It's not many days that get better than that -- in fact, the only thing we could think of that might have been better would have been if Yoko had been at the cafe, but oh well...(she does go there still, so the staff says...)

Anyway -- I just HAD to share this lovely day with you guys, I know you will all understand!!! Ah yes, a FUN day!!

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. November 2002 Issue Now Up!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain
Old Nov 07, 2002, 11:42 PM   #9
angelgodiva
Bulldog

Sounds great! I'm glad you guys had such an enjoyable and memorable lunch! From what I've heard, Yoko is pretty good about acknowledging gifts, so I would not be at all surprised if Kristin does hear from her, especially since she is a fellow artist.
Sounds like a happy, Beatley day!

------------------
Paul is still alive.
angelgodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2002, 03:21 AM   #10
HMVNipper
Sun King

Yes, Tina, you DO have to get to NYC...so when are ya coming?

I'm sorry the rest of the day was not so good after that, Kristin -- if I hadn't had to go pick Jamie up and do all that stuff, we could've hung out together longer...sigh...real life always intrudes...

It WAS a fun day, though -- and in case anyone is curious, Alistair didn't really tell too many Beatle stories...we were so busy talking about other stuff, like how AWFUL the hotel for the NJ Beatlefest is, if you can believe that! However, he did tell one -- some of you might have heard it before, but I thought it was a pretty good one...

He mentioned being there at a time when some fan, the type that has no life (you all know that kind I'm talking about! ) got ahold of the Beatles and was going on and on and on and on and on about how they were gods, they were wonderful, they were perfect, they knew it all...and the guy must have gone on for nearly half an hour without stopping...and when he FINALLY shut up, John looked down his nose at the guy (can't you just SEE the look?) and said, "Y'know, we're just a bleepin' rock & roll group!" (John used a MUCH ruder word (which Alistair wouldn't say to me either, he's a gentleman), you all know what he said, just replace "bleepin" with the Lennonism of your choice, you'll get it right, lol!) It was SUCH a typically "Lennon" remark -- God, I laughed, and to hear it directly from someone who was there...

If I'd had more time, I'd have wanted to talk to Alistair about the day he went to the Cavern with Brian Epstein -- because he was right behind him the day Brian first laid eyes on the Beatles...and oh God, to have been there...

Anyway...yeah, definitely a fun day...I'm still grinning from ear to ear! (Come visit again, Kristin, on a day when I haven't got so much on my plate, and we'll have more time to hang out!)

------------------

Old Nov 08, 2002, 09:38 AM   #11
angelgodiva
Bulldog

I can see John saying that, Susan! You just made orange juice come out of my nose,lol!

------------------
Paul is still alive.
Old Nov 08, 2002, 09:41 AM   #12
angelgodiva
Bulldog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By lennon4:
I was wondering if I'd come across a topic about our day today, and lo and behold -- here it is!

What can I say? I had the most fun in those short hours together, than I have had in all my NYC trips combined!

I can't wait to get all of my photos developed! (Susan- wouldn't it be cool if he happened to show up in one of them? I'd absolutely die...)

The rest of my day sucked after that. Basically waiting until 6:45 pm to catch the bus home...finding places to use the restroom, ducking in and out of shops to stay warm, etc, etc.

I can't believe I got to sit at John's table, use the men's bathroom (the ladies' was out of order) , meet Alistair, and go in the Dakota! I'm still on a Lennon-high, so to speak.

Thanks for today, Susan! We'll have to do it again.

-lennon4

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't see your post at first, Kristin...so, how was the men's room?

------------------
Paul is still alive.
Old Nov 08, 2002, 10:56 AM   #13
Danoota64
Wild Honey Pie

HMVNipper said:

If I'd had more time, I'd have wanted to talk to Alistair about the day he went to the Cavern with Brian Epstein -- because he was right behind him the day Brian first laid eyes on the Beatles...and oh God, to have been there...

At BeatleFest last weekend with Martin Lewis, he DID talk about that fateful day....41 years ago tomorrow!! Among the things he said was: he thought they were bloody awful, but both he and Brian tapped their toes to the music. He couldn't describe what it was about them, he couldn't put his finger on it, so he referred to 'it' as ingredient X.
I could listen to Alistair talk ALL night...

and Martin Lewis ain't too shabby, either!

but what a GREAT day you guys had. I am dying with envy.

------------------
"Although I laugh and I act like a clown/Beneath this mask I am wearing a frown." - I'M A LOSER (64)
Danoota64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2002, 02:38 PM   #14
bitagirl
Bulldog

I know ME TOO!!

Argh..it sucks having no friends willing to go with me to NY to see all the Beatle sites.

So living vicariously thru you guys have been a treat! Thanks for sharing!

------------------
"You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom. "
- Malcolm X
bitagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2002, 04:16 PM   #15
lennon4
Paperback Writer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By HMVNipper:
I'm sorry the rest of the day was not so good after that, Kristin -- if I hadn't had to go pick Jamie up and do all that stuff, we could've hung out together longer...sigh...real life always intrudes...

(Come visit again, Kristin, on a day when I haven't got so much on my plate, and we'll have more time to hang out!)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it definitely was an adventure after you left... I went over to SF and was sketching and writing down the days events in my sketch book. I ever went as far as to write down what this suspicious-looking guy was wearing (in case I turned up missing) because he'd been following me previoius to that. Ahh...how being alone in the city for hours can turn you into a paranoid tourist...

Well, I'm not going back to BU when this semester ends, but I have a whole month off for Christmas. I'm planning on making at least one trip to NYC during then, but I don't know exactly when. I would love to stay a few days. We'll have to meet up and have another great day!

-lennon4

------------------

Imagine. (it's here)

~All You Need Is Love~

Old Nov 08, 2002, 04:47 PM   #16
lennon4
Paperback Writer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By angelgodiva:
I didn't see your post at first, Kristin...so, how was the men's room? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! I made sure I touching everything in there (i.e. soap dispenser, towel holder, etc)...not that he'd ever used those exact ones, I'm sure.

It was funny because Susan and I had been joking about John using that bathroom. And then when we got there and I found out that the ladies room wasn't in use, I just about died with laughter.

-lennon4

------------------

Imagine. (it's here)

~All You Need Is Love~

[This Message Has Been Edited By lennon4 On November 08, 2002 05:47 PM]
Old Nov 08, 2002, 05:09 PM   #17
angelgodiva
Bulldog

Well, they were most likely the same toilets and sinks, but they have had all the Johnness washed off long ago, unfortunately. Say, did they have that shiny, hard toilet paper?

------------------
Paul is still alive.
Old Nov 08, 2002, 06:48 PM   #18
HMVNipper
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By angelgodiva:
Well, they were most likely the same toilets and sinks, but they have had all the Johnness washed off long ago, unfortunately. Say, did they have that shiny, hard toilet paper?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the bathrooms at LaFortuna have been remodeled a few times since John went there! And no, they had perfectly fine toilet paper!

BTW, the lady who works there (she must be one of the owners, I see her all the time, she's the waitress) says that Yoko still goes there all the time...wouldn't it have been funny if we'd run into her too? I've been going there for years and have never seen her, but you never know...

------------------

Old Nov 09, 2002, 09:23 AM   #19
Drumhead15
Dr. Robert

Send a message via AIM to Drumhead15 Send a message via MSN to Drumhead15 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumhead15

Sounds like you two had an awesome time!

Too bad we couldn't rent a few buses and drive cross-country picking up Beatlelinkers for a Fabulous trip to NYC! Lol.

------------------

"George was a best friend of mine. I loved him very much and I will miss him greatly. Both Barbara and I send our love and light to Olivia and Dhani. We will miss George for his sense of love, his sense of music, his sense of laughter." -Ringo Starr

[This Message Has Been Edited By Drumhead15 On November 09, 2002 10:24 AM]
Drumhead15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2002, 09:50 AM   #20
Magill
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Drumhead15:
Sounds like you two had an awesome time!

Too bad we couldn't rent a few buses and drive cross-country picking up Beatlelinkers for a Fabulous trip to NYC! Lol.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah! A sharabang trip just like in MMT. That'd be cool, eh?

------------------
"I'm not really a career person. I'm a gardner, basically." George, 2000

Soon we'll all be Brainwashed.
Magill is offline   Reply With Quote