BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products



Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct 09, 2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Lucy
Moderator
 
Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 05, 2000
Location: London
Posts: 9,749


Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Red face I've never seen this before

Doing my hunt-for-John-stuff-since-it's-his-birthday thing on youtube and came across this. I have never seen it before - maybe someone has posted it and I missed it. I just about can't believe it is real because it the exact format of any random posting a clip on youtube BUT there is no mistaking his voice!



Is this something which has been knocking about for years that I have totally missed the boat on up until now or what???! haahaaa!
__________________
=^..^=
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2007, 01:47 PM   #2
mari
Sun King
 
mari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 03, 2007
Location: Norwegian wood
Posts: 6,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Doing my hunt-for-John-stuff-since-it's-his-birthday thing
Exactly what I'm doing now

I've seen the vid once or twice.

Happy John hunting
__________________
...it must have been one of them unidentified flying cupcakes.
mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2007, 01:49 PM   #3
Loony_leo
Bulldog
 
Loony_leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 02, 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,388
Default

Wow! Is that really him or someone lip synching?
__________________
`~`~`Tani`~`~`
Loony_leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2007, 01:53 PM   #4
oldbeatlechick
Sun King
 
oldbeatlechick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 03, 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 41,802
Default

Not sure about that either Lucy!! But as you say the voice!!
__________________
All You Need Is Love

“We didn't all get into music for a job! We got into music to avoid a job, in truth - and get lots of girls.”
Paul McCartney
oldbeatlechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2007, 02:00 PM   #5
Fluxus
Wild Honey Pie
 
Fluxus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 17, 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 666
Default

Yeah, John had the beard right before he started on Double Fantasy.
Fluxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2007, 02:03 PM   #6
Fluxus
Wild Honey Pie
 
Fluxus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 17, 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 666
Default

Here's him growing the beard in 1980.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5QFrh349SRQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5QFrh349SRQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Fluxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2007, 11:09 PM   #7
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer
 
BadLittleKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2006
Location: Thinking of Blinking
Posts: 2,859
Default

I'll do that for you Fluxus



Insert this between (tube] (/tube]
5QFrh349SRQ
__________________
Yours fictionally,

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 06:27 AM   #8
Lucy
Moderator
 
Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 05, 2000
Location: London
Posts: 9,749


Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Default

Yeah I reckon it is defo him but I was just so stunned to see a video of him like that...you know what I mean? Apart from the slight bit of bad quality at the very start, it looks as if he set up his webcam and recorded it yesterday. Sigh. If only.

The comments on the actual youtube page say it was made in Bemuda in April 1980.
__________________
=^..^=
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 07:17 AM   #9
Legs
Sun King
 
Legs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 29, 2001
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 10,562



Default

I had my doubts but i looked it up and it's real. The demo has been doing the rounds on bootlegs for some time, but I never seen this clip of John performing it. The following info I found comes from the excelent book "Eight Arms to hold you".

"It comes from a home video recorded in early April 1980 (most likely Saturday 11th) at the Lennon's home in Cold Spring Harbor Ny. John is seen performing the song straight into the camera, refering to the composition as "Oh Yoko! part two". After reviewing the frist performance, the second pass is performed with "lighting by Edith Head"as John credits it.

The video continues with additional footage of the family relaxing on the terrace overlooking Long Island Sound. Excerpts from both the demo session and the home footage can be seen in the Stanley Dorfman produced video for "I'm Stepping Out" and the Imagine documentary.".

Very greet to see this, I have to check out the Imagine film again to see what footage was used there.

Thanks Lucy for the link!
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 01:26 PM   #10
mari
Sun King
 
mari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 03, 2007
Location: Norwegian wood
Posts: 6,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Yeah I reckon it is defo him but I was just so stunned to see a video of him like that...you know what I mean? Apart from the slight bit of bad quality at the very start, it looks as if he set up his webcam and recorded it yesterday.


"'Ullo, this is Dr. Winston O'Boogie IN THE FUTURE! I have a websycam thingy! Now if only Sean will hook me up with a youtube account.. "
__________________
...it must have been one of them unidentified flying cupcakes.
mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 02:11 PM   #11
Dr. Dreamer
Mr. Moonlight
 
Dr. Dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 11, 2002
Location: Here & Now
Posts: 847

Default

Yup- that's him!
There really were video cameras in the late 70's/1980- as very new, expensive comsumer technology. I used to sell the stuff in the early 80's when it became more "popular" and the darn portables were like wearing armor as the full videotape size recording machine was separate from the huge shoulder supported camera. I used to lease myself out to videotape weddings for extra cash- perhaps that's why I have a bad back today???

Thanks for the specifics on the recording Legs- didn't know a lot about it but had seen it before.
__________________
Dr. Dreamer

Last edited by Dr. Dreamer : Oct 10, 2007 at 02:13 PM.
Dr. Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:28 AM   #12
maxeythecat
Nowhere Man
 
Join Date: Oct 05, 2005
Posts: 218
Default

Such a remarkable video, and so wonderful to see a snippet of what the REAL John was like without all the bullshit and such....how can anyone in their right mind even think that this could possibly be fake??? As soon as you watch it you know it's him without any possible doubt.
maxeythecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:24 PM   #13
zipp
Moderator
 
zipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 19, 2006
Location: Normandy France
Posts: 2,848
Default

Thanks.That's just great.
__________________
head in the clouds
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:50 PM   #14
mari
Sun King
 
mari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 03, 2007
Location: Norwegian wood
Posts: 6,913
Default

You know, I suddenly like that song a whole lot better.
__________________
...it must have been one of them unidentified flying cupcakes.
mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 02:41 PM   #15
Loony_leo
Bulldog
 
Loony_leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 02, 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari View Post


"'Ullo, this is Dr. Winston O'Boogie IN THE FUTURE! I have a websycam thingy! Now if only Sean will hook me up with a youtube account.. "
If only if only....

I bet he would have loved the internet. Wonder what he would have thought of all those discussion boards out there. Or fanfiction! Haha I wonder what he would have thought of it!!
__________________
`~`~`Tani`~`~`

Last edited by Loony_leo : Oct 11, 2007 at 02:42 PM.
Loony_leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 04:06 AM   #16
Lucy
Moderator
 
Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 05, 2000
Location: London
Posts: 9,749


Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
I had my doubts but i looked it up and it's real. The demo has been doing the rounds on bootlegs for some time, but I never seen this clip of John performing it. The following info I found comes from the excelent book "Eight Arms to hold you".

"It comes from a home video recorded in early April 1980 (most likely Saturday 11th) at the Lennon's home in Cold Spring Harbor Ny. John is seen performing the song straight into the camera, refering to the composition as "Oh Yoko! part two". After reviewing the frist performance, the second pass is performed with "lighting by Edith Head"as John credits it.

The video continues with additional footage of the family relaxing on the terrace overlooking Long Island Sound. Excerpts from both the demo session and the home footage can be seen in the Stanley Dorfman produced video for "I'm Stepping Out" and the Imagine documentary.".

Very greet to see this, I have to check out the Imagine film again to see what footage was used there.

Thanks Lucy for the link!
Thanks for the info Legs!
__________________
=^..^=
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 08:18 AM   #17
PepperlandFrog
Banned
 
PepperlandFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 25, 2007
Location: hikaru no go
Posts: 967
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxeythecat View Post
Such a remarkable video, and so wonderful to see a snippet of what the REAL John was like without all the bullshit and such....how can anyone in their right mind even think that this could possibly be fake??? As soon as you watch it you know it's him without any possible doubt.
Thank you maxeythecat. That was my first impression.

Last edited by PepperlandFrog : Oct 12, 2007 at 08:19 AM.
PepperlandFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:59 AM   #18
mari
Sun King
 
mari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 03, 2007
Location: Norwegian wood
Posts: 6,913
Default

I adoooore it when he leans back and throws his legs in the air...ahhh John.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Loony_leo View Post
I bet he would have loved the internet. Wonder what he would have thought of all those discussion boards out there. Or fanfiction! Haha I wonder what he would have thought of it!!
He would have had the most awesome website on the planet, I'm sure :)

I think one of the reasons why I love this little clip so much is because it makes me think he's actually out there somewhere being a total youtube geek...*sigh*
__________________
...it must have been one of them unidentified flying cupcakes.
mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 07:17 PM   #19
JoanQuizzical
Little Child
 
JoanQuizzical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 09, 2004
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari View Post


"'Ullo, this is Dr. Winston O'Boogie IN THE FUTURE! I have a websycam thingy! Now if only Sean will hook me up with a youtube account.. "
Or he could make a video blog: "Ello everybody, 'ere's me new single." I always wonder, would he sound American after living in New York for . . . 37 years? Probably, if I've done the math right (Dec. 1970-2007).
But I've never seen this before, so it was really cool.
__________________
Joan Allison

"My life has been guided by an unseen piano player, who is actually typing this now." John Lennon, Skywriting by Word of Mouth

"I have met with women whom I really think would like to be married to a poem, and to be given away by a novel." John Keats
JoanQuizzical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 08:30 PM   #20
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog
 
I am the Paulrus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 14, 2003
Location: Here, There, and Everywhere
Posts: 2,203
Default

Thank you SOOO much for putting up that first video...It was fantastic...The second one says it not available anymore though. Drats!
__________________
"Excuse me, do you mind not farting while I'm saving the world?" -The 9th Doctor, DOCTOR WHO episode "World War Three"
I am the Paulrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Advertisements

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Site Features
Search Links

  Advanced Search
Category Jump



BeatleMail

FREE E-MAIL
@ BEATLEMAIL.COM


Username


Password




New User Sign-Up!
Lost Password?
Beatles History




Donate
The costs of running our database and discussion forum are steadily rising. Any help we receive is greatly appreciated. Click HERE for more information about donating to BeatleLinks.
Extras
» Chat Room
» Current News
» Monthly Contest
» Interviews Database
» Random Site
» Banner Exchange
» F.A.Q.
» Advertise
» Credits
» Legal
» Contact Us
Copyright © 2000-2020 BeatleLinks
All Rights Reserved