BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Aug 09, 2002, 07:31 AM   #41
Magill
Sun King

Default Re: Ever get or got teased or seriously picked on because you\'re a Beatles fan?

Back in high school, if you weren't listening to Aerosmith, Cheap Trick and what not, you were considered [ ]. But it's cool, I had my own circle of Beatle friends. Sort of a prehistoric version of Beatlelinks.
Today, people just look at me kind of funny and say, "The Beatles?? Really?" then they say, "yeah, they're good.." and which point I just go..

------------------
Thanks for the lift, sailor!

[This Message Has Been Edited By Magill On August 09, 2002 08:31 AM]
Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2002, 07:43 AM   #42
Miss O'Dell
Dr. Robert

Default Re: Ever get or got teased or seriously picked on because you\'re a Beatles fan?

I regularily get, at best, strange looks from people and at worst, name calling etc, ...in fact recently a so called friend of mine decided that she thought my, well, obsession with The Beatles and all things sixties was something I put on for a style thing (cos of course, you must really like something like Gareth Gates or wyclef Jean really!) and eventually it came fdown to The Beatles or her. I chose the Beatles and never looked back! The Beat goes on!

------------------
I won't let him down,
Got to do what I can,
I won't let him drown,
He's my Far East Man!
LOVE ONE ANOTHER. OM
///-i-\\\
Miss O'Dell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2002, 08:49 AM   #43
FiendishThingie
Bulldog

Well, if the Beatles taught us anything...

One good thing was to always be true to yourself.

Keep your feet planted in what you love. If it's the Beatles & the others don't understand, it's ok. They probably love something you don't care about. That's the beauty of the world & the people in it. We're all individuals! Celebrate the diversity! Who knows... a little Beatles may eventually rub off on to them.

FT who's loved them for 35 years & I ain't looking back!

------------------
"Music always had a transcendental quality inasmuch as it reaches parts of you that you don't expect it to reach. And it can touch you in a way that you can't express. You can think that it hasn't reached you and years later you'll find it coming out." George Harrison
FiendishThingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2002, 12:17 PM   #44
Drumhead15
Dr. Robert

Send a message via AIM to Drumhead15 Send a message via MSN to Drumhead15 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumhead15

It just seems to be a known fact around our school that I'm a Beatle fan and everyone accepts it. I have some friends on the drill team and when they started to rehearse their "Beatles Tribute" dance, every one of them made sure I knew about it. They all made sure to tell me to be at the Basketball games to see it.

There's a few kids there who think the Beatles are a "fairly decent" group, and there's a few who like some of their songs, and my friend Amy is pretty dang obsessed, but she keeps it "in the closet", and my friend Shauna really likes them, but I have been declared the most hard-core fan. Lol. I was REALLY into them in elementary, and in the first year of middle school, I kind of went off of them, but when I hit eighth grade, I loved them once again and even more than before!

The only thing that ever went on that kind of annoyed me, the day after George died, when everyone found out about it, when I'd be walking through school or going to talk to friends etc., people kept coming up to me and saying, "Hey, that one Beatle dude died." That got under my skin a little, but I tried not to let it get to me. My friends knew it was sad for me and were supportive so that's all that mattered.

------------------
...Bad Boy...
Drumhead15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2002, 06:14 PM   #45
BlueMeanie_64
Day Tripper

YES!!! I'm a senior in high school and everyone always asks why I like the Beatles over the music of today. Everyone tells me I live in the past because almost my entire CD collection was first produced during the 60's. Oh, well. It hasn't changed what I listen to at all. I'm sorry I prefer the Beatles over N'Sync. I guess I just like muscians that have talent.

------------------
It's the brain drain, his brain's draining.

How can anyone not love Ringo???

L
BlueMeanie_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2002, 08:20 PM   #46
EasternBird
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via MSN to EasternBird

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By angelgodiva:
I have good news for you--you won't grow out of it! I'm almost 50, and I've been at it since I was 11!!!!It's terminal, you'll be a Beatles fan till you die, if it's for real--I've been reading your posts for awhile now,and I would say you've got it pretty bad--er, I mean good!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aw, thanks! Is it that obvious? I think I've got a terminal case - I've been a fan for 15 years, and my Beatles obsession has only gotten stronger as I've gotten older! As for my sis, I guess it's her loss.

------------------
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." - Dave Barry

Stop Worrying: A Tribute To "HELP!" - R.I.P. Leo McKern 1920-2002
Beatleology - Earn your degree today!
EasternBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2002, 08:37 PM   #47
Rafael Robledo
Fool On The Hill

OF COURSE!!

In the school they used to see me (the girls) like a mada because i use the Beatle cut of hair, the teachers pushed me to cut it, if not they´ll gonna decrease mi grades!!

Sometimes it´s hard to continue with your Beatlemania, but in the end, the love we make will be equal to the love we take, as the boys said.

------------------
" The force will be with you"
- Obi Wan Kenobi
Rafael Robledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2002, 09:46 PM   #48
BlueMeanie_64
Day Tripper

Why would anyone not love the Beatles haircut? I love it on guys, it's great.

------------------
It's the brain drain, his brain's draining.

How can anyone not love Ringo???

L
BlueMeanie_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2002, 11:07 PM   #49
kenny willis
Rocky Raccoon

not really im 17 my friends and my cousins
dont care that im a beatle fan they like some beatle songs to.

------------------
in my life i love you more
kenny willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2002, 11:17 PM   #50
Cindi1964
Fool On The Hill

Ah, 1964 ... the innercity ... The Beatles?...you must be kidding ... you better go listen to Motown music ... yes, I was teased until I became a Closet Beatles Fan. My jr. high school days (now middle school) were awful. I still love the Beatles ... I have not outgrown them!

------------------
Cindi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2002, 01:15 PM   #51
MithrilGuitar
Rocky Raccoon

That is not cool. They can't just decrease your grades for having Beatles hair! I love Beatles hair on guys!

------------------
~ and ~
*MithrilGuitar*

I've been here a while now, so shameless advertising is allowed to kick in! Visit my site! (Please) http://thechicklettes.tripod.com
MithrilGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2002, 05:09 AM   #52
biglou114
Bulldog

Send a message via AIM to biglou114

What gets me mad the most is when people say the best Beatle songs are on "1". Then I pull out Sgt. Pepper, the White Album, and Abbey Road. But they're not open minded.

Also since I'm 14 I get tesed a lot with conversations like this.

Q: Why do you like the Beatles so much?
A: Beacause they write, sing, and play their own music.

But ther're so old
So what

Q: Why don't you like the music of today?
A: Because comparing with the Beatles is SUCKS. The Beatles at Least have talent.

------------------
I am the Eggman

51 days until the rerelease of AHDN on DVD
biglou114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2002, 05:54 PM   #53
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By BlueMeanie_64:
Why would anyone not love the Beatles haircut? I love it on guys, it's great.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I LOVE Beatle haircuts! They inspired my name! I just LOVE them! When I was younger, so much younger than today, I even implored my own mother to get one and believe me, that was the best I had seen her hair look. (Too bad she won't take that same good advice today). I was in middle school at the time.

Yeah, I have taken many a rollicking because I'm an inveterate Beatles' fan. On the plus side, my favorite uncle (and I do mean my favorite uncle) used to call me his "Beatles' niece" and his "bonus niece." My youngest uncle was really aces. There were many good reasons why he was my favorite.

It was in part due to his good influence that I was able to get through the worst of the Beatle busters growing up. Years after middle/high school and even college, I can say that my Beatle buster detractors may have won a few battles, but not the war. I mean, look at the indelible imprint the Beatles have left on the lives of many! I mean, who else has achieved the level of success that they have and who else has commanded the respect that they have?

People in middle and high school thought dissing the Beatles was the way to insult me. My standard response was, "Cultured people like the Beatles. Don't complain to me if you're culturally deprived." Some joker even went so far as to say he hated the Beatles. I just said, "that's because you don't know their music. When you really have listened to them, then you wouldn't say that." That usually worked.

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2002, 05:57 PM   #54
beatlebangs1964

You don't outgrow the Beatles! That's just a myth!

Yeah, I've had folks ask me don't I listen to other music. I said, "Yeah. Paul McCartney and Wings, Paul McCartney, George Harrison solo, John Lennon solo, Ringo Starr solo and yeah, I listen to the Beatles." It was second nature for me to search for Beatle music on the radio in the Stone Age, the era predating CD players for your car.

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Old Aug 11, 2002, 06:17 PM   #55
macca4eva
Nowhere Man

Hmm, I do remember getting teased at a couple of times, but I don't let it bother me. They don't know what they're missing.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By angelgodiva:
It's terminal, you'll be a Beatles fan till you die...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen to that! Rock on!

------------------
And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light that shines on me. Shine until tomorrow, Let It Be. -Paul McCartney
&lt;--- Isn't he too cute?
macca4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2002, 09:03 PM   #56
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

I've heard people this "the Beatles are so overrated." I *hate* when people say that!
-Kristi

------------------
"In the best of times, our days are numbered anyway. And so it would be a crime against nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that we would put off doing those things for which we were intended for in the first place, the oppurtunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to hit a ball and to bounce a baby." --Allistar Cooke

Kristi's Writing Desk
ImaginePeace78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2002, 02:53 AM   #57
anurag
Wild Honey Pie

Send a message via Yahoo to anurag

whole lot of my friends find it hard to
believe that anyone can be as crazy about the
beatles as I am.I collect any and everything
that has anything to do with the fab4.
I have been crazy about the beatles since I
was 10 and at 21 i`m happy to say that my
craziness about them is anything but on the
wane.I love them man!

------------------

[This Message Has Been Edited By anurag On August 31, 2002 01:46 AM]
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2002, 04:38 AM   #58
beatlebangs1964

Overrate the Beatles? Is such a thing really possible? I DON'T THINK SO!

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Old Aug 13, 2002, 01:58 AM   #59

oh, i hear that all the time. specially from musicians friends of mine. very ufanist people...
the worst thing is when these people come to me and say that beatles is not part of "my" culture...that i should be listening to samba and bossa nova instead of english stuff;
don't they understand that beatles are universal???

------------------
chim chimney
chim chimney
chim chim cheeree
a chimney sweeps lucky as lucky can be...
Old Aug 13, 2002, 02:01 AM   #60
Kaleidoscope_girl
Fool On The Hill

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By MonaMe577:
Only by my boyfriend, who can't seem to understand my "infatuation." He teased me a little when I started crying watching VH1's Behind the Music: The Last Days of John Lennon (always hard to watch my favorite Beatle die).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I start sobbing every time I watch it! Yes, I have been teased...But it's an honor!

------------------
"...People say I'm crazy, dreaming my life away..."
Kaleidoscope_girl is offline   Reply With Quote