BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Apr 09, 2005, 02:36 PM   #1
herbskillet
Little Child

Send a message via AIM to herbskillet Send a message via MSN to herbskillet Send a message via Yahoo to herbskillet
Thumbs down 50 Cent beats The Beatles?

50 Cent has out-shined megastars like the Rolling Stones, Madonna, U2 and even Elvis by becoming the first artist in more than 40 years to match the Beatles' chart-topping record. The rapper currently has four simultaneous hits all in the US Billboard Top 10, plus The Massacre has been the number one album since its debut in February.

i think that stuff is rigged. what do ya'll think?
Old Apr 09, 2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Pepperland Kamer
Dr. Robert

Just because hes a rapper or artist you dont like dosent mean its rigged.(although I'm sure you were kidding..) I personally dont like any of 50 cents music, but I always thought the real record was that the Beatles had the first 5 positions on the chart, I thought the papers were trying to make a big deal that that might happen with 50. But it never will. Also some people aren't really taking it seriously because only one of the 4 songs is by 50, whereas the other 3 songs feature guest artists. tainting the accomplishment somewhat.

But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only.

Nothing Is Beatle-Proof!!

Last edited by Pepperland Kamer : Apr 09, 2005 at 03:32 PM.
Pepperland Kamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2005, 05:04 PM   #3
BeatlesScruff
Mr. Moonlight

no I personally think that's terrible. I KNOW WE ALL HAVE OUR OPINIONS.. BUT IF THEY BEAT THE BEATLES.. MY LIFE IS OVER
BeatlesScruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2005, 07:50 PM   #4
Loony_leo
Bulldog

Rap beating Beatles?? PLEASE PLEASE tell me your speaking hypothetically.......oh god...... no rap can't beat the beatles.....-shudders-
Old Apr 09, 2005, 09:01 PM   #5
LovinLennon909
Taxman

wait...going to...here it comes...

Well, now I feel better. Wait a second, I've HEARD what that abomination and his "esteemed" peers say about women. I hate that we've worked for so long and for so hard for women to be viewed as something other than an Object, but then some metal-mouthed ganster gets four simaltaneous chart-toppers for saying otherwise? What are we telling our young people? That it's okay for men to regard women as breathing sex toys? And girls are buying this stuff, too! It disgusts me.
Old Apr 09, 2005, 09:20 PM   #6
BeatlesScruff
Mr. Moonlight

I totally agree. I am no sex machine. I am no slave. I am just as equal as any body else. People make me sick!

No wonder there are more suicides now than ever

Tiff Lennon
Old Apr 09, 2005, 09:55 PM   #7
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLennon909
wait...going to...here it comes...

Well, now I feel better. Wait a second, I've HEARD what that abomination and his "esteemed" peers say about women. I hate that we've worked for so long and for so hard for women to be viewed as something other than an Object, but then some metal-mouthed ganster gets four simaltaneous chart-toppers for saying otherwise? What are we telling our young people? That it's okay for men to regard women as breathing sex toys? And girls are buying this stuff, too! It disgusts me.
Well said, LovinLennon. I don't agree with what most of the lyrics by 50 Cent. That name shouldn't even be used in the same sentence as Beatles, much less match them in the charts.
Old Apr 09, 2005, 10:54 PM   #8
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperland Kamer
I always thought the real record was that the Beatles had the first 5 positions on the chart,
I think you're right on that one.

And, again, there's no comparison between 50 Cent and the Beatles. Unfortunately, there's a huge lack of taste within the music world today.
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 04:17 AM   #9
beatlemad
Taxman

Plenty of people must like him for him to achieve this.Not my cup of tea but well done to him.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 04:40 AM   #10
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

Who is 50 cents? Seriously I have never heard of him.
make a country dream come true
matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 04:43 AM   #11
beatlemad
Taxman

Hip Hop artist. Other than that I have no details.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 06:39 AM   #12
BeatlesScruff
Mr. Moonlight

He sings very disrespectful songs about women... most rappers these days think that all we are is sex toys. They also refurr to us as "Hoes"... but yet, they can sleep around with everybody and their cousin too. Then they're called "Pimps" which are considered "da domb" and "hip" Uh... no!

Tiff Lennon
Old Apr 10, 2005, 07:06 AM   #13
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964
Thumbs down

.50c IMHO ain't worth even that much! I can't stand mysogynistic lyrics and chauvanistic rhetoric. I ain't no hoe and I don't know no pimps!

I hate that kind of thing. I think it is disrespectful to ALL people and sends out a very negative and destructive message.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 08:10 AM   #14
Pepperland Kamer
Dr. Robert

I think EVERYONE is overreacting. You know how the media is, whenever there is a chance that anyone might be approaching the Beatles record, the issue is blown way out of proportion. Remember a few months ago when there was a big deal because Hey Ya was the most successful song with the word Hey in the title since Hey Jude (not joking). So its all for a good story. Don't go killing yerselves over this, its a record that he clearly hasn't beat yet, and probably never will, and if anyone does, thats just fine. We can just take comfort knowing the fabs did it first, and better.
P.S. Although I really don't like 50 cent,I don't think its fair to label ALL rap as crap, and about ho's and pimps etc. That Theres some bad and some good like any genre, it just seems that nowwadays the worst of everything is whats popular.

Old Apr 10, 2005, 08:25 AM   #15
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

Wait....50 Cent has four consecuative "songs" on the charts, and the Beatles had five consecutive songs and they're saying that 50 Cent has "outshined" and "matched" The Beatles??? Yeah right! Someone needs to do their research. Obviously, whoever wrote this doesn't know that the Beatles had FIVE consecutive songs, not FOUR (as 50 Cent does). Either way, the music world has sunk to a new low.
-Kristi

'He (Elvis Presley) turned out to be fantastic. I remember rushing home with the record 'Heartbreak Hotel' and saying, 'He sounds like Frankie Laine and Johnnie Ray and Tennessee Ernie Ford!'' --John Lennon
ImaginePeace78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 08:37 AM   #16
Pepperland Kamer
Dr. Robert

No, they aren't saying he matched the record. They are saying that hes the first since the Beatles to have four records in the top 10 SIMUTANEOUSLY, . He dosen't have the first four spots, but four different spots in the top 10. Which is still nothing compared to the first 5 by the same artist, which as I said, is the problem with 50s "record" since half of his hits are with other artists.

Old Apr 10, 2005, 09:50 AM   #17
BeatlesScruff
Mr. Moonlight

I cannot wait until this goes out of style. People have grown increasingly disrespectful!

Tiff Lennon
Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:23 AM   #18
Wolf
Day Tripper

This week, one of his songs dropped out of the top 10...so there are only 3 left now.

Despite having had 4 songs in the top 10, 50 Cent is hardly selling any singles. The Beatles sold over 20 million singles in America in 1964 alone. It would be a surprise if 50 Cent would sell even close to 1 million physical singles with all his songs combined.

The singles market in the U.S. is almost non-existant (as record companies stopped releasing singles to increase sales of albums in the late-90s), thus Billboard had to adjust to the new situation by increasing the airplay factor in its chart to something like 80%. So today's Hot 100 is in fact an airplay chart. 50 Cent having 4 songs in last week's top 10 is thus not a feat of incredible sales but of radio domination.

Quote:
I think EVERYONE is overreacting. You know how the media is, whenever there is a chance that anyone might be approaching the Beatles record, the issue is blown way out of proportion. Remember a few months ago when there was a big deal because Hey Ya was the most successful song with the word Hey in the title since Hey Jude (not joking). So its all for a good story. Don't go killing yerselves over this, its a record that he clearly hasn't beat yet, and probably never will, and if anyone does, thats just fine. We can just take comfort knowing the fabs did it first, and better.
P.S. Although I really don't like 50 cent,I don't think its fair to label ALL rap as crap, and about ho's and pimps etc. That Theres some bad and some good like any genre, it just seems that nowwadays the worst of everything is whats popular.
Exactly.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:39 PM   #19
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Right. What's popular is what gets attention--so whatever has shock value seems to get airplay or publicity. And no, all rap isn't crap, either, and I'm sure we could go on for hours over whether or not kids who listen to the objectionable stuff get influenced by it. What I don't like is when the kids' role models are who they see on tv (I work in a not-too-safe neighborhood, so I've seen this with my own eyes). Out of all the kids in my classroom, I think there is ONE kid who has a full-time dad; the other 15 kids have no dad in the picture or only see him on weekends.... so when they see a rapper on tv more than their own father, you tell me what happens.
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 06:00 PM   #20
Fluxus
Wild Honey Pie

As much as I love rap (except the woman-hating crapola), who is going to listen to Fiddy 5 years from now, let alone 40? My rap CDs are good for collecting dust.

The bright news is that Pop Culture is due for a counter-trend. Something a bit more positive. Where is that new Black Eyed Peas album?? Hurry!
Fluxus is offline   Reply With Quote