BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Nov 05, 2009, 01:20 AM   #1
FPSHOT
Sun King

Default Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Fleetwood Mac is not so often talked about here.

I just finished watching a most fascinating documentary about the period round this album within the band called Fleetwood Mac - Don't stop.

What a total private mess lead to maybe the most famous album by the band.

i love to discuss it but have little time so....is anyone interested to discuss this?

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Clark Kent
Sun King

I have that album. It's a really good listen. I think Fleetwood Mac are somewhat underrated. "Go Your Own Way" was written by Buckingham about his separation from Nicks.
Old Nov 08, 2009, 01:58 AM   #3
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post

I just finished watching a most fascinating documentary about the period round this album within the band called Fleetwood Mac - Don't stop.

i love to discuss it but have little time so....is anyone interested to discuss this?
I saw that too! I think it must have been Fleetwood Mac night on the BBC or something because there were about 3 shows one after the other about them! Very interesting indeed. I really enjoyed learning more about them.

I only have a limited knowledge of them and most of it came from watching those things the other night so I might not have enough knowledge to discuss them in too much detail heheheee!

I found the early stuff interesting - the details about the Munich acid trip which led to the departure of Peter Green, how Jeremy Spencer was plucked from the street to join The Children of God and then how Bob Weston was out after he had the affair with Jennie Boyd. I always knew there was a bit of wife swap type behaviour going on there! Didn't stop there of course!

When Stevie and Lindsey joined, it seems to me that things really took off. I thought it was so interesting that each song writer in the band was writing about the other - these breakdowns in the marriages seemed to give so much creatively to the band and to their success.

And ummmm how good looking is Lindsey in the Big Love video! WOW he certainly suits the short hair, clean cut look verses the long haired beardy hippy look!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 03:24 AM   #4
darkhorse
Sun King

I'm a big fan.

Pretty much all of the Rumours album is based on failed relationships - Lindsey Buckingham's three songs ("Go Your Own Way", "Second Hand News" and "Never Going Back Again") document his feelings towards his breakup with Stevie Nicks, and the hard times he was going through. He prefered to shout it out loud ("you can go your own way / you can call it another lonely day")...

Stevie, on the other hand, used her own subtle style to compose "Dreams" ("women, they will come and they will go / when the rain washes you clean, you'll know"), and she translated her own state of mind into my favorite song of the album, "Gold Dust Woman", which is so dark and confusing. Another beautiful song of hers, also about the breakup with Lindsey ("Silver Springs"), was rejected because of length issues, and relesased as the B-side to the "Go Your Own Way" single. Later editions of Rumours on CD, add this song to the tracklist.

Christine McVie wrote "Don't Stop" for ex-husband John, "Oh Daddy" for Mick Fleetwood (allegedly), and "You Make Loving Fun" about her then current boyfriend, a lighting director or something.

And John "couldn't talk back because he doesn't sing", as Christine said. But he did gave the album its great title. It was originally called Yesterday's Gone, until he came with the Rumours title.

This album, to me, is perfect pop. Perfect, with no flaws. I love the vocals, the instruments (all overdubbed), the arrangements, and even the tribal dance of "The Chain", with music by everyone and lyrics chiefly written by Stevie, about despair and failed love. Even without the soap opera, it's still one of my favorite albums on Earth.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:56 AM   #5
Reverend Rock
Wild Honey Pie

It's an incredible album. Certainly one of the masterpieces of the rock era. It's probably as good an argument as exists for the axiom, "The more restless the artist, the greater the art." I think maybe they took the concept a little further than was necessary!

"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be."
Reverend Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 08:21 AM   #6
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post

Heck, yeah! I love Fleetwood Mac. There's a great VH1 documentary about "Rumors" which I only saw once when it was first aired. I can't find it on DVD anywhere. That one is well worth tracking down.

Lindsey breaking up with Stevie.... Christine splitting with John..... perfect example of how pain and anguish produces the best art in any form.

Last edited by 62hofner : Nov 11, 2009 at 08:22 AM.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 08:24 AM   #7
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Christine McVie wrote "Don't Stop" for ex-husband John, "Oh Daddy" for Mick Fleetwood (allegedly), and "You Make Loving Fun" about her then current boyfriend, a lighting director or something.
I always thought "You Make Loving Fun" was about Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys......
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:45 AM   #8
darkhorse
Sun King

The story about the lighting director is told by Christine herself in the Rumours - Making the Album documentary... I believe his relationship with Dennis Wilson was not until later on; and I remember hearing that "Hold Me" (from Mirage) was written about him.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 03:32 PM   #9
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
The story about the lighting director is told by Christine herself in the Rumours - Making the Album documentary... I believe his relationship with Dennis Wilson was not until later on; and I remember hearing that "Hold Me" (from Mirage) was written about him.
Ahhhhhh! Ok, then.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 05:09 PM   #10
oldbeatlechick
Sun King

I didn't watch the film but my husband being a musician did and loved it! I like Fleetwood Mac and "Rumours" is a fabulous album!

“We didn't all get into music for a job! We got into music to avoid a job, in truth - and get lots of girls.”
Paul McCartney
oldbeatlechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 07:38 AM   #11
coolbeanie
Dr. Robert

That album is one of my big favorites. Such a beautiful piece of work.