BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Act Naturally

Old Sep 30, 2007, 09:23 PM   #1
LinkTGF
Apple Scruff

Default The price of Help!: Deluxe Edition debate

I recently ran into someone on Amazon who complained about the Beatles fans who complained too much about the price of the Deluxe Edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hockinson
Reading all the comments in the various discussions, what I hear are a lot of people who'd really like to own this, and are trying to convince themselves they can't justify dropping the better part of a C note to have it - and if they can't have it you shouldn't either. Nobody *really* needs to buy the deluxe edition, it's an extravagance to be sure. You'll likely be wiping the dust off it more often than you'll actually look at the books, lobby cards, poster, etc.

It's a collectable, people. The target audience for this edition are the hardcores who would think nothing of spending this much (and more) on a limited edition title from Genesis Publications, for instance. If you're on a budget then you're looking at the wrong listing. If you want the Deluxe Edition (and I know a lot of you do), then it's time to save your money, do your homework (somebody out there is certain to offer it for less than $90), or put it on your Christmas list.

This is a cool edition, of course I'm going to get it. I predict it's going to sell out quickly and appreciate accordingly. Keep its components in good condition and in a few years you can sell it to one of these people complaining about the price it's selling for now at twice that.
and my reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkTGF
The reason we are all complaining is very very simple. We were enticed by hearing vaguely that this movie would finally be re-released. Then the announcement came officially from Apple that there would be a standard edition then a deluxe edition with extras (all without telling us the prices, mind you) and being the Apple Scruffs we all are, we fantasized about getting the deluxe edition for somewhere around 40-50 bucks and enjoying it forever and ever, perusing the book as the film plays in the background and the poster hangs on our wall, framed along with the lobby cards.

Then, the website came up and we were told of that, and we waited for over 2 days to finally get a working link to Amazon and what do we discover when we get here? The price is ridiculously high. For something that most Beatle fans who buy it would read often and view often (not for collectors or for display only) the price is simply too high.

I've been a Beatles fan for a few years now and I have everything I can get my hands on, from the Anthology set (DVDs, book and CDs) to a replica Abbey Road street sign and even books on the Fab Four. Yet, the Anthology DVD set isn't even this much and it has 5 DVDs. I understand the book is what is really driving up the price but for comparison, I just recently bought a book of Beatle photos (you can find it on here >> ISBN-10: 1405480483) and it only cost me 7 dollars brand new, hardcover.

The point I'm trying to make is that that for what we are getting, Apple figures that because it's the Beatles, they can slap a price on it and fans will buy it blindly and we feel that price should be justified by content, not by name.
and in response to a similar question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkTGF
I have worked in printing in the past (for about 3 years, on and off) and the cost for this set does not seem to be accurate of its contents. If we accept that the base price for the DVD and the standard inclusions (insert and booklet) is about 20 bucks and then tack on pure printing costs for the poster and lobby cards (when done in bulk, less than a buck) and the script (after binding, less than 5 bucks retail) and the book of beatle pictures (10-15 bucks retail), you're left with a discrepancy of about 60 dollars. Why is 60 dollars being tagged onto something that is relatively inexpensive to make?

The primary principle of marketing and of economics is supply and demand. If the price is low enough, more people will buy it and more money will be made through inexpensive sales rather than through sales with exorbitant prices. Yes, the run would have to be bigger, but isn't that the point rather than limiting the amount of what is available and creating an artificial scarcity (much like the one popularized by Andy Warhol's estate cronies who destroy his original art in order to make others more rare >> http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2007/07...-lawsuit.html).

If Apple were smarter, they could do both - make the amount of money they want to make, and make a LOT of Beatles fans happy by bringing the price down to a reasonable amount.
So, my question to all you is this: do you think the price for the Deluxe edition is justified by its content or do you think that we're all getting screwed over big time from being able to own something that we would enjoy on a regular basis?

I Buried Paul... There I Admit It, I'll Even Tell You Where, Outside Behind Abbey Road Studios, It Was Great Fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner View Post
Man, when I hear songs like "All You Need Is Love" and "Let It Be" it makes me want to grab a baseball bat and go out to crack some skulls!

Last edited by LinkTGF : Sep 30, 2007 at 09:36 PM.
LinkTGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2007, 07:19 AM   #2
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

I think the deluxe edition goes a bit too far, it has the script that doesn't actually even be an original Beatle product. Everything I want is on the regular edition.

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2007, 07:37 AM   #3
Legs
Sun King

While the original poster has a point, and in fact is right with his comments about it being a collectable, the simple fact is that the price is still to high even for a so called collectable. It could have come at a lower price so more fans can enjoy it, not just the collector.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2007, 01:05 PM   #4
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

If people are willing to spend that amount, it is not too high.
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2007, 02:19 PM   #5
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Well I gotta say I kinda agree with you. I really really want the deluxe edition but at $90 that would be a very big splurge for me. I was willing to go up to $60-$70. I'm thinking of asking for it for Christmas, but i would kinda feel bad knowing somebody spent that much on me for just one thing...

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2007, 03:19 PM   #6
62hofner

I'm asking for the Standard Edition for Christmas only....

Not only are Deluxe Editions a bit too pricey, they're difficult to store along with other movies, CD's, etc. And the extra stuff just ends up sitting in its box! I never do anything with it.

As fun and cool an idea of having the extras is, they're really not anything worth spending that much more for... personally speaking.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2007, 05:17 PM   #7
Serena

yeah it is a bit too much for what it's offering, but it wouldn't be the first ridiculously over priced item i've bought. i dpn't know, we'll see what i settle with.

Last edited by Serena : Oct 02, 2007 at 05:17 PM.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote