BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old Nov 18, 2013, 08:30 PM   #1
Legs
Sun King

Default Live at the BBC volume 2 - Your reviews on air

I know I posted this already, but on the news section. So hopefully now this is at right place we get some personal views on the site instead of only links to news articles.

I think it's a nice sounding set with plenty of songs that weren't on the first volume. Yes it's a shame that a song like "Dream baby" wasn't included.
Which I will take care off now.

Dream baby - mp3
Attachment 3029

Still only a few more songs and all the songs peformed on the BBC would have been included. While the sound quality is not that good I think something still could be done. It's not that much worse then some of the other peformances.
Still it's nice to have "I am talking about you" and "Beatiful Dreamer" officially released on this set. And like I said still plenty of songs not included on the first volume, while the others are ofcourse different peformances.

I think it's a nice selection for the casual fans. Fans who want it all already will have one of the many bootleg sets out there.

I also got the remastered first volume. While not an huge improvement over the originall release there is apparently a whole lot less use of noise reduction, with a slightly improved sound overall. Some missing photo's in the rearanged booklet. And while John could be seen holding a BBC microphone on page 5 of the original release, looking very faked we can now see the original photo.

Nice to have them both, I only should not have ordered them seperatly but together in the box, but that's my faulth.

Last edited by Legs : Nov 18, 2013 at 08:31 PM.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2013, 07:25 PM   #2
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I just got them both yesterday ($7.99 each with free shipping!) and thus far have only listened to the first disc of BBC1 (but like most people, I've heard everything on both these sets--and more--plenty of times). And I can honestly say, even if the sound quality isn't significantly better--and really, it isn't--it was worth re-purchasing for the removal of the crossfades alone. The listening experience is so much better with even the half-second pause in between each track. (From what I've read, BBC2 has a little more space in between songs.) My only lament is that there's still a fraction of a second of applause at the start of "The Honeymoon Song," one of my favorite BBC recordings.

There's no getting around the fact that Apple shot their wad with the first volume--30 unrecorded-at EMI-songs vs. 10 on the second volume (eight of them also appearing on BBC1)--but in a way, it helps make them more distinct. BBC1 is all about the unreleased goodies; BBC2 gives a little more attention to the hits--I'd never really thought about how unusual it was to have a compilation of recordings from '63-'65 that left out "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand," but here they are! And of course "I'm Talking About You" and "Beautiful Dreamer" are great to have.

I just wish they had included the four BBC songs with Ringo that aren't represented on either set. I don't really see there being much chance of a third volume, so it's unfortunate that they left these out, especially since I think the BBC "The Night Before" is superior to the EMI version. Definitely would have been better than the "Pop Profiles" taking up a quarter of the run time (these would've made for a fine bonus disc, but they end both discs of BBC2 on an anticlimactic note).

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2013, 07:52 AM   #3
hibgal
Sun King

Thanks for the download, Legs.

As to the release, even if one has all the bootlegs I guess the packaging is worth listening too!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

I got the vinyl and really enjoyed listening to a lot of songs performed live that were rarely if ever performed in concert. I do wish they would have used a heavier stock paper for the inner sleeves since it is 180 gram vinyl. That very thin paper will inevitably tear and split.
Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 06:15 AM   #5
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
I know I posted this already, but on the news section.

(...)

I also got the remastered first volume. While not an huge improvement over the originall release there is apparently a whole lot less use of noise reduction, with a slightly improved sound overall. Some missing photo's in the rearanged booklet. And while John could be seen holding a BBC microphone on page 5 of the original release, looking very faked we can now see the original photo.
I had answered to this part of your comment about vilumen 1 on the news section, but I'm copying it here:

---
What has surprised me enormously is that there are differences in the musical content, too! And I'm not talking about better sound. The second track on CD 1, 'From Us to You', has received a superimposed voice announcing the Beatles that is not in the 1994 CD and that, as far as I recall, is not in the original broadcast of 28th February 1964. I don't know where it has been taken from. Also, a speech snippet has been added as track 17 ('What Is It, George?'), as an introduction to 'Soldier of Love'. As for CD 2, 'Have a Banana!' has been removed, and replaced by 'Ringo? Yep!'. And a second 'From Us to You' has been added at the end.
---

Volume 2 was more or less what I expected. But I wish they had released the complete collection of BBC recordings, no matter their quality, arranged chronologically. Something like the Great Dane Beatlegs, but with a better sound quality.

What I've liked most are the four interviews, the Pop Profiles. I didn't know those.