BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Exclamation John Lennon's son tells woman 'you are an argument for abortion'

I just came by chance across this news:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ist-views.html

John Lennon's son has said that a woman who disagreed with his viewpoint 'should have been aborted'.

Sean Ono Lennon, the musician son of the late Beatle and Yoko Ono, became so enraged with a woman on Twitter who called him and his mother hypocritical that he told her: 'You are an argument for abortion.' Lennon, 36, and his mother recently founded Artists Against Fracking, a group that campaigns against fracking - the extraction of natural gas and petroleum by fracturing rock - and has attracted major backing in liberal Hollywood.

Son and mother appeared on the Late Night with Jimmy Fallon show in August to talk about why they started the group and to sing a song entitled Donít Frack My Mother. Artists Against Fracking has won the support John Lennon's former bandmates Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr.

Also adding their weight have been Fallon, Ruffalo, Lady Gaga, Alec Baldwin, Gwyneth Paltrow, Anne Hathaway, Julianne Moore, Uma Thurman, Hugh Jackman, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel.

Last month, Lennon wrote an opinion piece for the New York Times in which he said: 'Surely the voice of the "sensible centre" would ask to stop all hydraulic fracturing so that our water, our lives and our planet could be protected and preserved for generations to come.

But Lennon's sentiments were rather less high-minded on Monday when he was challenged on his views by Phelim McAleer, an Irish-born Los Angeles-based documentary film maker who is in favour of fracking taking place.

Any comments ?

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:44 AM   #2
Serena

Whether or not the woman was out of line, throwing in ad hominems against her doesn't help the argument or make him look better. It sounds like the subject is in need of more research.

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

How obnoxious do you have to be to provoke Sean Lennon into suggesting you should have been aborted? And he's probably right.
Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I'm fairly certain that person said something more than a few times to Sean and he just lost it. However, on a place like Twitter, where what he says makes such a wave with others, I think it would have been best that he respond with something less negative. ONLY because it shows that he/she got to you and you are above that Sean, bb.

Also, he typically is more funny but I think he bit off more than he could chew with his recent activities, but he'll catch his step. Sean is a very dedicated guy. He's an observer and he knows how powerful words can be. If this ends up being a set-back he will only grow from it, but in my opinion it isn't wise to resort to something 'on their level.'

Rise above bb. You can and you have.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:43 AM   #5
hibgal
Sun King

Well, hard as it may be, becoming personal like that means you're automatically losing the argument. No must to defend yourself against unjust attacks; especially sink to their level doing it. By far better to ignore the person altogether. People aren't stupid so let the nasty person stand there with her nastiness. Like Scruffie said, rise above it!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Fly
Dr. Robert

But let's be honest this b**ch was asking for it. John's sons are too sensitive though. I'm pretty sure John would have laughed and said something sarcastic that wasn't in the direction Sean went.

Just a shining example of what Sean missed out on with John being gone.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:39 PM   #7
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

I read a bit of the actual exchange between the two a few days ago when I first heard of this. I don't remember what she said to Sean just before he responded, but I do remember thinking, "Well, she deserved that then for saying that."
I think she got a little personal first in her attacks against Sean.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:41 PM   #8
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

I went back and reread it. She brought up Yoko and her music which really had no part in the discussion for or against fracking. She insulted Sean's mother and he insulted hers back. Period.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly View Post
But let's be honest this b**ch was asking for it. John's sons are too sensitive though. I'm pretty sure John would have laughed and said something sarcastic that wasn't in the direction Sean went.

Just a shining example of what Sean missed out on with John being gone.

I agree the Bxxxx had it coming.If you read the Twitter messages Sean was getting from these people even 2 or 3 days before.Before he posted that message to that Bxxch.She and others had been calling Sean and his Mom names and really not debating Fracking.There were several name calling postings on Sean's Twitter site by her and others like her.Later when that scumbag pro Fracking guy went and gave his interviews about what Sean said.He goes to them, "Sean Lennon does not allow freedom of speech,with people that disagree with his views on issues or Fracking.Complete lies,they started it and I think they were hoping he might say something.So they could run to the press about it.He had every right to verbally defend himself and his Mom.I think Sean's problem is,he thinks sometimes he can reason with disrespectful, rude,name calling internet trolls and idiots.He needs to block them from his Twitter pages and other interest sites when they start harrassing him and calling him and his Mom and Dad names.They did bring up his Mom and her music which really had no part in the discussion for or against Fracking. She insulted Sean's mother and he insulted hers back. I am hoping he does learn to just block these nasty trolls once they start the name calling and harrassment on his Twitter pages and even Facebook pages.I also for once completely agree with Colonel Angus "How obnoxious do you have to be to provoke Sean Lennon into suggesting you should have been aborted? And he's probably right."

Last edited by Peregrine9 : Sep 25, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
Peregrine9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:21 PM   #10
johncharles
Nowhere Man

He gave them what they wanted. Which is unfortunate but I can understand him becoming annoyed and speaking or in this case typing before he thought.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:00 PM   #11
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

People are repugnant on the internet. They are hiding behind their hood of insulated internet anonymity. They say crap to people that they wouldn't dare say to their face. The internet is the greatest thing to ever happen to the bully mentality. Sean has the misfortune of being an open book and public. There's no defense for him but to just ignore it.
Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote