BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Old Jun 17, 2007, 08:53 AM   #141
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I guess for anyone who dislikes Beatle fan fic, that would rule out "12 Cold Creek Street," "She Loves You," "Yellow Submarine" (the book and the film) and "Liverpool Fantasy," two books of pure Beatle fan fiction. (I happen to like Beatle fan fiction, but only if it is a) convincing, that is true to the characters' "real" counterparts and b) well written.

Frankly, I think these are good books (although I was not overly fond of "Liverpool Fantasy,") it was a well written fan fic.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Jun 17, 2007 at 08:59 AM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2010, 09:37 PM   #142
LetThereBeMusic
Bulldog

My character got a +6, but I do think my plot line needs work, very basic at this point and time.

But I haven't read much fanfic that wasn't on RooftopSessions to be honest with you, and as I was reading I was thinking 'Some people actually DO that?' Sheesh...

Mine is a romance, and I'm trying my hardest to make it unique, it's a teenage Ringo/girl, and I was hoping to make one for each Beatle in their teens. But this one alone might take a few months.

I've been writing for awhile, but never with people. I'm definitely better when it comes to fantasy. So it's a bit of a different experience with me, a whole new genre and being as the main character.
As it's my first, if anyone would mind going over it with me(I must admit, friends can give very poor feedback -she's the only one I can get to read it at this point. Something can always be improved) I'd appreciate it. :)

*sorry for bumping the thread

On the day the wall came down, The Ship of Fools had finally run aground...
Promises lit up the night, like paper doves in flight...
[/center]

Last edited by LetThereBeMusic : Dec 07, 2010 at 10:32 PM.
LetThereBeMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2010, 11:08 PM   #143
Terri287
Little Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThereBeMusic View Post
My character got a +6, but I do think my plot line needs work, very basic at this point and time.

But I haven't read much fanfic that wasn't on RooftopSessions to be honest with you, and as I was reading I was thinking 'Some people actually DO that?' Sheesh...

Mine is a romance, and I'm trying my hardest to make it unique, it's a teenage Ringo/girl, and I was hoping to make one for each Beatle in their teens. But this one alone might take a few months.

I've been writing for awhile, but never with people. I'm definitely better when it comes to fantasy. So it's a bit of a different experience with me, a whole new genre and being as the main character.
As it's my first, if anyone would mind going over it with me(I must admit, friends can give very poor feedback -she's the only one I can get to read it at this point. Something can always be improved) I'd appreciate it. :)

*sorry for bumping the thread
Oh wow! This thread really IS an oldie-but-goody, isn't it? How sad that there's so little in the way of new BFF to reference here now! Anyway, I had to laugh when I saw the topic! I'd taken a version of this "test" a while back for my story, "True Love Ways." I was happy to find that my OC scored a 13 out of a possible 203 points! I actually posted the result on my site! I wasn't really too worried about writing a "Mary-Sue" to begin with. In addition to many other idiosyncrasies and bad habits, my character killed any possibility of that level of perfection when I had her throw up on George Harrison's boots!!!

"Is there anybody going to listen to my story...?"
www.dasliebchenkind.com
Original Beatles Fan Fiction
Terri287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2010, 04:55 AM   #144
ShowTunes
Wild Honey Pie

Somehow managed to miss this thread when it first appeared... can't say that it applies to my particular situation....

Anyway, I think I posted this link before, but it's hidden in some ancient old thread and deserves to be seen by newcomers:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue

This lovely page will tell you all you could possibly want to know about every form of Mary-Sue, and provides examples as well.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 06:44 AM   #145
kayinthelife
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri287 View Post
Oh wow! This thread really IS an oldie-but-goody, isn't it? How sad that there's so little in the way of new BFF to reference here now! Anyway, I had to laugh when I saw the topic! I'd taken a version of this "test" a while back for my story, "True Love Ways." I was happy to find that my OC scored a 13 out of a possible 203 points! I actually posted the result on my site! I wasn't really too worried about writing a "Mary-Sue" to begin with. In addition to many other idiosyncrasies and bad habits, my character killed any possibility of that level of perfection when I had her throw up on George Harrison's boots!!!
That'll be interesting to read.
Make 'em feel okay

ROCKIN!

I'm certainly guilty at times of being lazy.
kayinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2010, 04:37 PM   #146
Lithophone
Fool On The Hill

Send a message via MSN to Lithophone

I started a Beatles story a few months ago but never got around to finishing it due to writer's block. But, my character scored a 13. Mostly because it isn't a love story, more of a science fiction. I find romances overrated.
Lithophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2010, 05:56 PM   #147
kayinthelife
Sgt. Pepper

I really like comedy fan fiction, like the stuff Lisha Goldberg puts on Rooftop Sessions. Romance just seems too predictable for me.
Make 'em feel okay

ROCKIN!

Old Dec 09, 2010, 08:24 PM   #148
ShowTunes
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayinthelife View Post
I really like comedy fan fiction, like the stuff Lisha Goldberg puts on Rooftop Sessions. Romance just seems too predictable for me.
I'll have to tell Lisha that people are still reading her stuff!
Old Dec 09, 2010, 08:59 PM   #149
beatlebangs1964

This is one of the better threads.

Usually I don't care for the romance genre, but every once in a blue moon someone will write one that is not predictable and even plausible. There are some good ones at www.rooftopsessions.com.

I love Lisha Goldberg's stories and she is a genius. She really is. Her stories are brilliant; funny and extraordinary. Her specialty is comedy featuring George.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Dec 09, 2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 09:19 PM   #150
beatlebangs1964

Is YOUR character a Mary-Sue?

Section 1 - The Name Game

Is the character named after you? (This can be any part of your first name, middle name, last name, nickname, or online identity.) If so, stop now. Put your pencil (mouse?) down and turn in your test. [35] NO, NEVER! Even when I was a little girl I didn't like having my name put in stories. My characters are never born in my birth month and none of my characters ever have my birthdate regardless of month either.

-- Is the character's name an unusual spelling of a more common name or word? [1] No, never

-- Is the character's name unusual in another way? No, never

A female with a male-sounding name? [1] No

A female version of any Beatle’s name?[3] No, never! Too obvious, like parking a large truck in the middle of a room.

A name the character chose for herself, because she "didn't want to forget" something? [1] No

A noun or adjective not normally used for a name (i.e. Tranquility) [1] Ugh! Never!

-- Does the character’s name have a pronunciation that isn’t readily obvious? [1] No, because that can make readers feel shut out

-- Is your character named after any Beatles song (i.e. Julia, Eleanor, Michelle)? (1) No, because that's just too obvious. And no lovely Ritas or Lindas, Heathers, Janes, Patties, Olivias, Cynthias, Yokos, Maureens, Barbaras, Prudences or Lucys either.

-- Does the character have an unusual nickname that everyone uses instead of her real name? (i.e. Her name is Jane, but everyone calls her Butterfly.) [1] No! And female characters are not Magill who call themselves Lil, but everyone knows them as Nancy, either.

-- Does the character have a “really cool” name that you wish you had? [1] No.

-- Is the character's name in the title of the story? [5] No
-- Did you spend more than a day looking for just the right name? [1] No. In my case, the characters just "arrive" with names intact. (Added 12/9/10 - I have given antagonistic characters and right bastards names I dislike). .

-- Would you ever give your child or a pet the character's name? [1] no

Section 2 - Physical Attributes

-- Is the character the same gender as you? [1] It depends on the story. Some of my stories have male protagonists, others female and in some cases child protagonists. My stories have protagonists of all ages and a myriad of backgrounds, e.g. religious, ethnic and national as well as differing ideologies.

-- Is the character from the same racial group as you? (Note: answer yes to this question if the character is an alien or a magical being.) [1] My characters are different races based on the story and how the "characters" came into literary being.

-- Is the character multi-racial? [1] None of my female protagonists are. I have had other characters who were members of more than one racial group. It depends on the story and how race fits in.

More than two races? [3] If this question is about a female protagonist, the answer is no. However, I have had other characters who belonged to more than one racial group, but never any female protagonist.

-- Does the character have traits that are not common to her particular race? (i.e. a character who is Japanese and has blue eyes.) [4] No.

-- Is the character a teenager or in her early twenties? [1] My characters are all ages. More often than not, the protagonists are adult characters.

-- If not, does the character look like she is a teenager or in her early twenties
for no apparent reason? [2] No.

For a magical or special scientific reason? [2] No, never

That you plan on making a plot point later? [1] No.

-- Is the character stunningly beautiful? [1] Naah, that's just too trite, too cliche and too implausible.

-- Do one or more of the Beatles find the character highly attractive? [1] No, this is just not applicable.

Do the other Beatles see her as a threat because of this? [1] No. Again, this does not apply.

-- Does the character have an unusual eye color (violet counts)? [3] No, and none of my characters have kaleidoscope eyes, either.

Will this be a plot point later? [1] About eye color? No, never.

-- Does the character have really nice hair that you describe more than once, or on the first page? [1] No. If there is any reaon to mention the hair, there will be a relevant description in a relevant place in the story, but emphasis will not be placed on it.

-- Do you give us a complete physical description of the character on the first page? (height, weight, age, hair, eyes, etc.) [2] No. That generally comes later in the story if it is relevant.

Section 3 - Personal Traits

-- Is the character the long-lost child/descendent/sibling of a Beatle? [1]
No, never.

-- Was the character adopted or did she live with people who were not her parents as a child? [1] (New Answer: In 2002 I said no. Actually, I have written stories about orphans who were raised by relatives, such as aunts and uncles.)

-- Did the character have a tragic youth? (Examples: abuse, neglect, abandonment, sexual trauma, second or third-class cultural status, slavery, extreme poverty, forced criminality, or being the sole survivor of any disaster) [3] No, none of my protagonists. The above listed adversities are not found in any of my stories. Peripheral characters have "given" personal accounts of adversities of one degree or another, however. Again, it depends on how the characters "arrive" and "present" themselves. None of my characters have the completely implausible "perfect life of halcyon days without hitches" and I'd like to think they sound like plausible literary people folks can relate to and identify with to a certain degree.

-- Does the character suffer from guilt about something terrible that she did in the past? [1] No.

-- Do the other characters eventually convince her that it wasn’t her fault? [1] No, never.

-- Did the character have an unusual birth? [1] No.

-- Does the character have a twin or a clone of the same gender? [2] No.

About whom you plan on writing another story later? [2] My stories tend to be self contained. My characters are "Dixie Cup" characters -- used once and that's it as a general rule.

-- Does the character have an extraordinary singing voice? [2] No.

Or play a musical instrument amazingly well? [1] Some of my characters are musical.

The guitar or flute, for instance? [2] Some do, but they are in the minority and they aren't Beatles or characters who even know the Beatles personally.

More than one instrument? [2] No.

-- Does the character do what you do for fun or profit? (This includes having the same job you have, or would like to have, or having a job that sounds like a lot of fun even though you know nothing about it.) [1] No. None of my characters have ever held down any job that I have had. Ever. The characters have jobs tailored to their literary needs, endowments, abilities and job offers and also how this fits into the story. Some of my characters have had jobs nobody could pay me to do!

-- Is your character extremely intelligent? [1] Most of my characters are very bright. Since I am very bright, that is often reflected in how the characters express themselves, the literary dynamics among the characters and in how the story is written. I have had characters who were nonverbal for any number of reasons; others who have had major challenges and some who were mute for various reasons. (Added 12/9/10 - I've even had autistic characters and that includes protagonists with autism!)

-- Does she know facts that most ordinary people would not normally know? (i.e. the batting average of every member of the New York Yankees, from 1945-1950) [1] (Originally said "no" in 2002). My Aspie characters have special interests and encyclopediac knowledge of said special interests. NONE of them are savants!

-- Is the character a professional singer? [3]
An actress? [2]
A model? [1]
A songwriter/dancer/producer/band
manager? [2]
A fan? [5]
No to all of the above.

-- Is this character royalty of any type? [3] No, never.

That she does not originally know about? [3] No, never.

-- Does the character make more wisecracks than John Lennon? [1] No.

Because John Lennon is your favorite Beatle? [1] No. I'm a McCartney-Harrison fan and my characters are not based on Paul or George.

-- Does everyone end up liking your character (at least among the characters you like)? [1] Good question. Some of my characters have been impossible to like. In fact, some of my characters were so odious I didn't like them! It really depends upon the character and the story.

Section 4 - Super Powers

-- Does the character have any form of magical/superhuman powers? [2] No, never!

-- Is your character from another planet? [2] No, never.

-- Does the character have telekinesis or telepathy? (Answer yes if the character has a twin.) [2] No, never.

-- Is your character psychic, or does she just "know things" for no apparent reason? [2] No, never.

-- Can the character fly? [1] No, never.

Without the aid of wings? [2] And without the aid of Paul McCartney, too! My characters don't fly unless they're in an aircraft.

-- Do animals (especially cute, fuzzy ones) instinctively like the character? [2] This is not a major point in any of my stories, but in some stories, characters have pets. None of my characters are "animal magnets." At no time are animals the protagonists or focal points in any of my stories.

cntd

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Dec 09, 2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 09:20 PM   #151
beatlebangs1964

cntd:

Section 5 - The Love Connection

-- Does the character fall in love with and/or have sex with one or more of the Beatles? [3] No, never!

Because you want to have sex with one or more of the Beatles? [1] No, never.

-- Does the character fall in love with and/or have sex with another person from the music world? (Think: A Beatle’s brother, a dancer, a producer, a songwriter, etc.) No, never. My characters do not have intercourse with Beatles or real people even remotely associated with the Moptops.

[1] (Add an extra point if that person is Brian Epstein.) Subtract an extra bonus point if it isn't.

With whom you would like to fall in love and/or have sex? [1] No.

-- Does the character fall in love with and/or have sex with another original character? [1] No. Some stories are about couples and let's face it, intercourse is part of the marital relationship, but I don't write about it.

With whom you would like to fall in love and/or have sex? [1] No, never. Fictitious characters don't hold an erotic appeal for me.

-- Does the story feature the character's wedding? [1] No.
To a Beatle? [2] No, never.

And is attended by one or more Beatles and/or Brian Epstein, Mal Evans, etc.? [2] No, never.

Section 6 - The Real World and Your Character

-- Would you like to be friends with the character if you met in real life? [1] No, never. I never thought about it and in response, this does not apply. n/a

-- Do you think everyone who reads the story should automatically like the character and want to be friends with the character? [1] I never thought about that either. Nobody is obliged to like my stories or my characters. In fact, some of my characters have been right bastards!

-- If someone tells you he/she doesn't like your character, do you take it as a personal attack on you? [1] No.

-- Do you ever pretend, just to yourself, that you are the character? (Be honest!) [1] No, never!

Section 7 - The Fiendish Plot

-- Do you introduce the character and give us her complete life history on the first page of the story? [2] No. To quote George Harrison, "It's All Too Much!"

-- Do you tell the story from the character's point of view, all or mostly? [1] Yeah. I "keep out" of my stories.

-- Does the character meet the Beatles, and after a few tense pages of plot, become friends with them? [2] No, never.

-- Does your character die for any reason? [5] None of my female protagonists have died. However, some of my "peripheral" characters have died from illness or in accidents. Again, it depends on the story in question.

When she dies, do one or more of the Beatles go into deep mourning? [1] No, and again, this doesn't apply.

Is she brought back to life by the end of the story? (This includes your character being presumed dead, but turning up alive after all.) [4] No, never. Whenever any of my characters meet up with a literary demise, it is ball game over, curtain down, final curtain, the end of that character.

Is she brought back to life in a sequel? [4] No, never.

-- Does the character manage to develop a friendship with an otherwise villainous character, and through this friendship, reform the other character? [2] No, never.

Is the villain in question Yoko Ono? [1] No!

Is the villain in question Mark David Chapman? [10] (Note: DON'T write a story like this. Ever.) I never would. And no, the Jerk of Jerks is never in any story I write!

-- Does the villain become evil again after the character dies, but retain some last vestige of goodness from his/her interaction with the character, evidenced in one selfless action at the end of the story? [4] No, too cliche for me.

-- Does the character save the day and/or another character's life? [3] Another worn out, tired old chestnut IMHO. No, never.

Through magical/mystical intervention? [1] This hoary old chestnut is never used by me.

Through dying? [3] No.

Through almost dying? [2] No.

-- Do you plan to write many more stories revolving around this character? [1] No. As I said earlier, my characters are used once and then it's final curtain.

Scoring:

0-14: Developed character, unlikely Mary-Sue.

+10. Whew, what a relief! (sadly went up 2 points since 2002)

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Dec 09, 2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 09:47 PM   #152
beatlebangs1964

I thought it would be interesting to take the test again.

Old Dec 09, 2010, 10:07 PM   #153
LetThereBeMusic
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri287 View Post
xD If you still have it around, I would love to read that 8D

And I don't usually like romance to be honest. I've never read one in my short life, but I thought it'd do me some good to branch out a bit and do something other than fantasy/nonsense.

On the day the wall came down, The Ship of Fools had finally run aground...
Promises lit up the night, like paper doves in flight...
[/center]

Last edited by LetThereBeMusic : Dec 09, 2010 at 11:32 PM.
LetThereBeMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 04:02 PM   #154
Terri287
Little Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThereBeMusic View Post
xD If you still have it around, I would love to read that 8D

And I don't usually like romance to be honest. I've never read one in my short life, but I thought it'd do me some good to branch out a bit and do something other than fantasy/nonsense.
It certainly is still around, LTBM! You'll find it on my BFF website - the address is linked below my name in my signature - and the title of that particular story is "True Love Ways." If you're looking to branch out in your reading, I have stories written in other genres posted there as well. Happy reading!

"Is there anybody going to listen to my story...?"
www.dasliebchenkind.com
Original Beatles Fan Fiction
Terri287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:26 PM   #155
beatlebangs1964

This is such a good thread and I've learned a lot from it.

Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:12 PM   #156
kayinthelife
Sgt. Pepper

I got a 10, and now I think I need to come up with a different plot.
Make 'em feel okay

ROCKIN!

Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:01 PM   #157
beatlebangs1964

Just as long as your score remains under 14, you are okay.

Old Jan 18, 2011, 02:24 PM   #158
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

I've written several of what I call mary sue Beatle stories but I've been told tehir not. The Beatles don't fall in love with her but she does get my fantasies fulfilled. some might be too hot for here though. (my teen-aged fantasies of decades ago)
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote