BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Old Sep 12, 2002, 09:47 AM   #21
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to lennon4
Default Re: The Beatles and \"Slash\"

I think it was released in 1990...not sure, though. I know it was released before Backbeat, and the same guy (Ian Hart) plays John in both of them.

-lennon4

------------------
Imagine:
http://www.angelfire.com/pa/turberville
~All You Need Is Love~

*Need Beatles Art? E-mail Me!*
lennon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 09:56 AM   #22
angelgodiva
Bulldog

BACKBEAT, I know that movie; love it. That guy made a pretty good John, too.

I don't think they should have made that other movie, though.

------------------
Love me, love my John!
angelgodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 10:08 AM   #23
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Backbeat's great (could've skipped all the nude scenes IMO)...I love it, mostly because that's my favorite Beatle/John era (as I've stated before).

Truthfully, I'm surprised that Ian Hard did Backbeat after "The Hours And Times"...I think that would've scared me off. But, I'm not a major actor looking for any kind of work, either.

Yeah, I think he made a great John, too. The only thing that bothered me (physically) was when they showed him from a front view and you could see both of his ears. They really make the shape of his face look funny. It wasn't so distracting when you could only see one ear, though.

-lennon4

------------------
Imagine: http://www.angelfire.com/pa/turberville
~All You Need Is Love~

[This Message Has Been Edited By lennon4 On September 12, 2002 10:09 AM]
Old Sep 12, 2002, 10:11 AM   #24
MonaMe577
Bulldog

Here come two cents of my own, although I had to dig deep into my pocket to find them ...

To me, "slash" is like any other type of fan-fiction. If it's poorly done, as in John taking advantage of Paul and Paul liking it, it can be offensive, disgusting, and in extremely poor taste. I used to lump all slash fiction into this catagory, simply because I couldn't see a relationship between any of the Beatles, and because I thought slash fiction was a silly habit and in extremely bad taste.

And then something happened which changed my mind, albeit only slightly: I read one I liked.

This one was told from the viewpoint of George about his carefully hidden attraction for Paul. There is no graphic sex, only a little cuddling and fondling. I myself am extremely surprised I liked it, but I did. It was tender and almost romantic.

Sorry everyone, I stand behind my opinion. Slash can be like any other romance story, if it's well-written, thought-out properly, and not over-the-top, as so many romances, straight or gay, tend to be.

And like the man with the box of chocolates said: That's all I have to say about that.

------------------
... she will cry when she learns we are two...if I fell in love with you ...

"Hello, Homer, I'm George Harrison."
"Oh my God! Where'd you get that brownie?" -- The Simpsons
MonaMe577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 10:26 AM   #25
lennon4
Paperback Writer

A slash newsflash:
ff.net will be starting a string
of stories entitled:
"Brian & Two Beatles at a Time"

(j/k btw)

-lennon4

------------------
Imagine:
~All You Need Is Love~

Old Sep 12, 2002, 10:27 AM   #26
MonaMe577
Bulldog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By lennon4:
A slash newsflash:
ff.net will be starting a string
of stories entitled:
"Brian & Two Beatles at a Time"

(j/k btw)

-lennon4

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Double Eww! Remind me not to read it!!

------------------
... she will cry when she learns we are two...if I fell in love with you ...

"Hello, Homer, I'm George Harrison."
"Oh my God! Where'd you get that brownie?" -- The Simpsons
MonaMe577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 10:30 AM   #27
lennon4
Paperback Writer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By MonaMe577:
Double Eww! Remind me not to read it!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad you understood the fact that I was making it up...I get misunderstood too many times around here. lol

-lennon4

------------------
Imagine:
~All You Need Is Love~

Old Sep 12, 2002, 10:38 AM   #28
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By lennon4:
This thread made me digress a little in thought. Would "The Hours and Times" be considered a slash fan fiction? It was a purely speculated film, AND it's implies that John & Brian "hook up" if you know what I mean (they even have a slight kissing session in the tub). Just wondering about your thoughts on this one.

-lennon4

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd definitely call it slash too -- just because of the homosexual aspect of the story, even though one of the characters was definitely gay. (This is an interesting film, btw -- a speculative look at what MIGHT have happened when Brian and John went to Barcelona together in 1963.) Now, you see, I found THAT film/story to be believable -- probably because there's ample evidence that Brian was probably attracted to John. AND, in the film, they do not consummate anything..."John" can't go through with it.

But anyway, yes, that would be an example of a slash fanfic, IMO.

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. September 2002 Issue Now Up!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 10:42 AM   #29
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Susan-

Yeah, I agree with you completely about it being plausible. That's why I bought it in the first place. I'd read what it was about, but I wanted to see the aproach on the whole thing. I'm greatful that they didn't consumate anything on film...that would've scarred me, I'm sure. lol...

-lennon4

------------------
Imagine:
~All You Need Is Love~

Old Sep 12, 2002, 10:42 AM   #30
HMVNipper
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By MonaMe577:
Here come two cents of my own, although I had to dig deep into my pocket to find them ...

To me, "slash" is like any other type of fan-fiction. If it's poorly done, as in John taking advantage of Paul and Paul liking it, it can be offensive, disgusting, and in extremely poor taste. I used to lump all slash fiction into this catagory, simply because I couldn't see a relationship between any of the Beatles, and because I thought slash fiction was a silly habit and in extremely bad taste.

And then something happened which changed my mind, albeit only slightly: I read one I liked.

This one was told from the viewpoint of George about his carefully hidden attraction for Paul. There is no graphic sex, only a little cuddling and fondling. I myself am extremely surprised I liked it, but I did. It was tender and almost romantic.

Sorry everyone, I stand behind my opinion. Slash can be like any other romance story, if it's well-written, thought-out properly, and not over-the-top, as so many romances, straight or gay, tend to be.

And like the man with the box of chocolates said: That's all I have to say about that.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You make some very valid points, MonaMe, and back them up with plausible examples. I'm not knocking ALL slash fic, nor anyone who reads it and likes it -- not in ANY way. I admit, there are probably a few that are handled well. (See my note above about "The Hours and Times, for example...) It's just not really my cup of tea, I guess, but I sure won't fault anyone for liking it!

(BTW, this has to do with something completely different -- but did you also know that Ian Hart was in last year's Harry Potter movie, as Professor Quirrell? Just wondering if anyone realized that... Oh, and I LOVED "Backbeat" too -- OMG, when that movie came out, I swear, it was the living example of a film I had made in my head for YEARS! )

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. September 2002 Issue Now Up!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain
Old Sep 12, 2002, 10:44 AM   #31
lennon4
Paperback Writer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By HMVNipper:
(BTW, this has to do with something completely different -- but did you also know that Ian Hart was in last year's Harry Potter movie, as Professor Quirrell? Just wondering if anyone realized that... Oh, and I LOVED "Backbeat" too -- OMG, when that movie came out, I swear, it was the living example of a film I had made in my head for YEARS! )

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Believe it or not, I'd heard that the guy who'd played John in other films was in that movie. So I saw Ian Hart for the first time in Harry Potter. Then I bought Backbeat and The Hours and Times.

Same here about the living example of a great film.

-lennon4

------------------
Imagine:
~All You Need Is Love~

Old Sep 12, 2002, 11:17 AM   #32
angelgodiva
Bulldog

I love that part near the beginning of BACKBEAT where the guys are on the boat--Paul, I think, says to John, (right after he finishes vomiting), "So, you're the son of the son of a sailor.."

------------------
Love me, love my John!
angelgodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2002, 06:59 PM   #33
lennon4
Paperback Writer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By angelgodiva:
I love that part near the beginning of BACKBEAT where the guys are on the boat--Paul, I think, says to John, (right after he finishes vomiting), "So, you're the son of the son of a sailor.."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's funny that John pukes on Paul's shoes in the form of a response.

-lennon4

------------------
Imagine:
~All You Need Is Love~

Old Sep 12, 2002, 07:15 PM   #34
HMVNipper
Sun King

I think it's funny that John pukes on Paul's shoes in the form of a response.

-lennon4

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So TYPICALLY Lennon, eh?

------------------

Old Sep 12, 2002, 07:49 PM   #35
lennon4
Paperback Writer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By HMVNipper:
So TYPICALLY Lennon, eh?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly

-lennon4

------------------
Imagine:
~All You Need Is Love~

Old Sep 13, 2002, 05:50 AM   #36
lilsamharrison
Mr. Moonlight

I may be the odd one out here but I love slash! Its SOOO fun. Its not true any of it, but its still really fun to write and read.

I love slash. Is good.

------------------
"No I wouldn't say that at all."
- John Lennon, 1966, in response to the question "Do you feel you are being cruicified?"
lilsamharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2002, 11:20 AM   #37
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Some people have sickening fetishes. Others are just odd. I stand by opinion, no matter how unpopular.

-lennon4

------------------
Imagine:
~All You Need Is Love~

Old Sep 13, 2002, 08:08 PM   #38
lennon4
Paperback Writer

You think they'd have better things to do with their time and talent...

-lennon4

------------------
Imagine:
~All You Need Is Love~

Old Sep 13, 2002, 08:13 PM   #39
HMVNipper
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By lilsamharrison:
I may be the odd one out here but I love slash! Its SOOO fun. Its not true any of it, but its still really fun to write and read.

I love slash. Is good.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lilsam, pardon me if I sound like a mommy (even though I AM a mommy), but WHAT are you doing reading slash at your age? I mean, you MUST be quite a bit under 18, forget under 21...if I had a daughter your age who was reading Beatleslash, I'd be pretty disturbed...

Sorry, could NOT help myself for asking that question...not trying to be nosy or impose my values on anyone, just stating an opinion...

------------------

Old Sep 14, 2002, 12:10 AM   #40
HMVNipper
Sun King

There's actually a whole cult of people who write what they call "Paulie in Pain" stories...let's just put it this way, they get off on doing terrible (albeit fictional) things to the poor man...I read precisely one, one that someone posted on a fanfic writers' list I once belonged to. That was enough for me...definitely even LESS of my cuppa than slash!

I also once got a "stalker" story as a submission -- a really violent story in which someone was stalking Paul. I rejected it, of course -- I can't understand why someone would write such a thing, particularly after what happened to John and George, but there ya go...

The thing in these stories wasn't just melodramatic, soap-opera type pain, either...it was...well, I'll leave it to your imagination. But I think that is up there in the realm of "sickening fetishes." Hoo-boy...

------------------

[This Message Has Been Edited By HMVNipper On September 13, 2002 12:12 PM]