BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Closed Thread

Old Mar 23, 2001, 01:22 PM   #1
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Lennon in America

I'm just wondering if anyone's read "Lennon in America" by Geoffrey Guiliano. I saw it at the bookstore the other day, started reading it, and was totally appalled. The author claims that John "may have been" gay, that he slept with Linda McCartney, and well...all it basically talked about was John's sexual fantasies. I mean, I know John was no saint, but this guy made him sound like a freak! Just wondering if I'm the only one that hated this book.

Old Mar 23, 2001, 03:12 PM   #2

Default Re: Lennon in America

Yeah, you're certainly not alone. Most things written by Geoffrey Giuliano are nonsensical. I recall a large protest surrounding this book's release and many tried to have it banned (there were lots of online petitions and things like that). The only freak in this matter, really, is Mr Giuliano himself. Have you seen his pic on the back cover of any of the Beatles 'Inside Interviews' CD's? I swear he's Marilyn Manson's father.

Old Mar 23, 2001, 03:59 PM   #3
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

I heard he got death threats after it was published....hahahaaa! He was deserving of them as far as I'm concerned.

Never in my life have I read such lies...didn't he try to say that he based the book on John's diaries and that he wanted to be an English country Gentleman on a farm in Wales writing children's books? Ohh and wasn't he going to have Yoko killed??? Honestly, what is with GG? Why does he always have to get everything so wrong??!! Who is his publisher?
Old Mar 25, 2001, 12:26 AM   #5
darkhorse
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nowhere Man:
Yeah, you're certainly not alone. Most things written by Geoffrey Giuliano are nonsensical. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Luckily, I think, he hasn't been translated to Spanish, so I haven't been able to read him. Seems that I'm not losing anything, though. I've heard about him, and about all the lies and crap he has published. I don't think discussing him is really needed. He's sick.

------------------
"The future still looks good..."
Old Mar 25, 2001, 12:27 AM   #6
darkhorse
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lucy:
Honestly, what is with GG? Why does he always have to get everything so wrong??!! Who is his publisher?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also: who are the people that buy his books?

------------------
"The future still looks good..."
Old Mar 26, 2001, 07:59 AM   #7
Tim
Sgt. Pepper

He also stole tapes from Pete Townshend.

Amongst the other garbage: The "Paul's Wives" file. I have it on very good authority that there was NO such file. Also the Francie Scwartz letter (where she claimed to have a 10-y-o daugher by Paul) is false. She NEVER wrote thta letter, this I know directly from her.

------------------
Tim
------------
Duchy Of Grand Fenwick
Old Mar 26, 2001, 03:19 PM   #8
jtal909
Sun King

How do you know that she's telling the truth? Could be protecting Paul. I would.

[This Message Has Been Edited By SleepyHead On May 28, 2001 11:53 AM]
Old Mar 30, 2001, 12:43 AM   #9
Tim
Sgt. Pepper

She has said that if she had had Paul's kid in 1969, she would have made it known. Also, no mention of such is in her book.

------------------
Tim
------------
Duchy Of Grand Fenwick
Old Apr 13, 2001, 11:24 AM   #10
strawberryfields
Apple Scruff

I've never read it... but it sounds to me as if this is a really bad book. John wasn't a saint...but he wasn't evil, either. I can't believe someone would write stuff like that.

------------------
Come to my website! It is http://www.expage.com/beatles2001 Hope you like it! "Love is Real, Real is Love"- ///o-o\\\ John Lennon
Old Apr 14, 2001, 12:53 AM   #11
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

I would not believe a THING in any of GG's books...he is a slime ball. Sensationalizes everything, makes himself look more important than he really is, and is almost as bad as Albert Goldman was!

In his book about George, you can see his reflection in the windows of the photos of Friar Park, the ones he took from outside because George wouldn't let him in! He's scum...I won't buy any of his books, and I'd advise everyone VERY STRONGLY against it!

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. About.com BEST OF THE NET, April 2001! www.rationalmagic.com/Rooftop/Rooftop.html
Old Jun 25, 2001, 11:57 PM   #12
beatlemethisbeatlemethat
Dr. Robert

Although I don't believe a thing GG writes, if any of it was true, he has no right to publish a book about John's private life. GG claims the info in his book was taken from John's diaries, but he never goes and quotes these so called diaries. He has written many books on the Beatles. He says he's a fan, but most of the books he has written seem negative towards them. I know they were not saints as someone pointed out, but the guy needs to get a life and stop writing rubbish on people. Evil sells in our society. So as long as he sells his books, he will continue to write them.

------------------
Peace, and Beatles,
Stefanie

Beatle Me This, Beatle Me That

//0-0\\//0-0\\//0-0\\
"After all is said and done, you can't go pleasing everyone, so screw it"
--John Lennon

[This Message Has Been Edited By beatlemethisbeatlemethat On June 25, 2001 11:58 PM]
Old Jun 26, 2001, 05:06 AM   #13
SF4-EVER

It sounds like most Beatle fans in the know avoid GG's books, but there are people out there who don't know better. My boyfriend bought me a copy of Lennon in America as a present, even though I remember pointing the book out to him in the bookstore as a "trash" book. He meant well, but now I have that book on my shelf. Don't worry, it's unread, but since it was a present, I don't want to sell or recycle it. Seems like we need to spread the word about GG and other poisonous authors to our loved ones and the unsuspecting public; they're the ones most likely to buy these kinds of books.

------------------
Author of "Move Over Ms. L." and the sequel "To Thine Own Self Be True,"
hosted at www.rooftopsessions.com
Old Jun 26, 2001, 06:29 AM   #14
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

Send a message via AIM to ImaginePeace78 Send a message via Yahoo to ImaginePeace78

That situation is similar, for my birthday, about two years ago my aunt found a copy of Goldman's book and gave it to me as a gift. I read a few parts in it and literally threw the book on the floor! The guy was horrible (not John, the "so-called" author). He had not one positive thing to say about John and there were a ton of inaccuracies. For instance, this one's funny. He said the Beatles first record "Love Me Do" was released on a 78 rpm record! They stopped making 78s in the early 50s. He looked old enough to have known that. Goldman must've been in a cave his whole life, he knew nothing about John. His so-called "sources" were rubbish too, Fred Seaman, Yoko's hairdresser?! Give me a break! Stick to Coleman's book--it's the best on Lennon out there.
All You Need Is Love,
Kristi
P.S. Oh, I didn't get rid of the Goldman book because it was given to me by aunt. I tell my Beatle friends (when they look at me strange as to why I have that book), that I kept it for the pictures. The captions that he writes are off the wall too.

------------------
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one..." ~John Lennon

Kristi's Writing Desk
Old Jun 26, 2001, 10:51 AM   #15
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By ImaginePeace78:
They stopped making 78s in the early 50s. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, in India, they didn't stop making 78's untl the mid 1960's and there are some Beatles 78's floating around somewhere. *dribbles at thought*

As for Geoffrey Guiliano bloke, I do have a book by him called 'The Beatles - A Celebration' but I don't usually read the books. The pictures are enough for me. I know I'll never buy the Lennon in America book. Couldn't Yoko sue him for slander?

------------------
Containing EVERY clue ever found about this conspiracy, Paul is Dead - The Conclusive Evidence will change your mind about this bizarre coverup.

This week, 'Beatles 1' is at No. 39 in the UK Album charts.
This week, 'Wingspan' is at No. 29 in the UK Album charts.
Old Jun 26, 2001, 11:38 AM   #16
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

You've heard it said that Geoffrey Guiliano has the imprint of a Beatle boot on his back.

For the peaceful folks, you have heard it said that Geoffrey Guiliano is a persona non grata among the Beatle literati.

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Old Jun 26, 2001, 11:41 AM   #17
beatlebangs1964

I sincerely think Guiliano's books should be boycotted. The man is a sensationalist and a flat out liar as well. Please steer clear of anything he has written!

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Old Jul 16, 2001, 10:56 PM   #18
Tim
Sgt. Pepper

I wouldn't trust anything in GG;s books. The guy got the diaries,if he really had them,either from Fred Seaman(The LAst Days) or Robert Rosen(Nowhere Man),the guy that stole them,and his accomplice. Rosen copied these for Seaman.

------------------
Tim

Tim Brent's Yellow Submarine Page
The Beatles' Record Advertisements
The Beatles' Record Covers Yahoo! Club
Old Jul 17, 2001, 07:22 AM   #19
beatlebangs1964

Honor among thieves...NOT! Those men are personae non gratae among the Beatle literati!

I think there are some flaming pies with the names Goldman, Guiliano, Rosen and Seaman just WAITING to be thrown.

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964

[This Message Has Been Edited By beatlebangs1964 On July 17, 2001 07:23 AM]
Old Jul 17, 2001, 07:24 AM   #20
beatlebangs1964

If nothing else, the Three Stooges taught the world the fine, lowbrow art of pie throwing. Moe had a Beatle haircut, Larry could throw a mean pie and Curly was too funny for words! Goldman, Guiliano, Rosen and Seaman, you stupid knuckleheads, morons, lunkheaads and birdbrains! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk! There is soitanly a pie being aimed your way, so DUCK!

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Closed Thread