BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Closed Thread

Old Sep 20, 2002, 05:09 AM   #161
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper
Default Re: Create your own Mary-Sue!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By MonaMe577:

IMHO, a good romance should have aspects of both romance AND comedy. Real-life romances are like this, full of good-natured teasing and flirting. That's the reason I like Tina's story so much: it's romantic, but it makes me laugh.

I'll be honest: I don't really care for one of the romance threads Susan has running right now. I'm not trying to put down the author or say she's a bad writer (she's a good writer and I like some of her other works), but I'm not fond of "women in distress" stories and I absolutely cannot STAND this particular heroine. Not to knock the genre, but I prefer my heroines more like Laurie Donaldson and Viv Lang--spunky and fun. Make me laugh and win my heart, that's the best way to go, IMHO (again) .

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, good romances should have elements of both romance and comedy. The ones I've enjoyed reading (by regular authors, not just fanfic) have always been like that.

I think I know which story you are talking about, MonaMe -- all I have to say is that this particular heroine is not what you think, she's not a "damsel in distress" at all, she's just had some serious traumas in her life, but she turns out strong and resiliant in the end. Believe me when I tell you this -- if I thought the heroine of the story was just a damsel in distress, I wouldn't be running the story! (I have the advantage of knowing what will happen later on, of course...)

Also, without giving anything away, you John gals should read Lena King's "Perchance To Meet," because it's not exactly a Ringo story...and won't be entirely one as it wears on, either... (Lena'd kill me if she knew I told, but...)

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. September 2002 Issue Now Up!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain
Old Sep 20, 2002, 05:10 AM   #162
HMVNipper
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By SarahMcCartney:
HA ha! that was hilarious! Here's mine:

Angelia Krystal (pronounced Cris-tall)LeCroix, with her cristalline eyes and her flaxen hair, discovers that she is John's long-lost cousin (What, you don't see the resemblance?). After finding front row seats to Shea stadium, she decides to go and see her relative. Paul (The names George and Ringo aren't commonly used names in these stories) sees her in the crowd and insists that he see her after the show. She is brought to a room with couch in it and meets Paul. She is "lost in his eyes". He is dumbfounded by her razor sharp wit and intelligence. He writes Yesterday, Here There and Everywhere, and My Love (it was lost for a few years) for her. After pages of steamy sex, they are married, but right before their first child is born, she takes the bullet for John and dies in Paul's arms.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sarah!

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. September 2002 Issue Now Up!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain
Old Sep 20, 2002, 07:50 AM   #163
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I love it! You're a riot!

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964
Old Sep 20, 2002, 08:16 AM   #164
HMVNipper
Sun King

I think this is my cue to start that round-robin game...

------------------

Old Sep 20, 2002, 09:52 AM   #165
beatlebangs1964

Sarah,

Your story is hilarious!

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Old Sep 20, 2002, 09:59 AM   #166
beatlebangs1964

Say, do you think perhaps comedy is my forte?

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Old Sep 20, 2002, 11:48 AM   #167

I want to know why my last post was deleted. Writers constantly say that they need to learn to accept criticism in order to better their writing. I think I have a right to let beatlebangs1964 know that her stories were getting old and disgusting, in my opinion. Getting my post deleted is a form of censorship, which is another thing writers are against. So what's the deal here, anyway?

GST

------------------

Old Sep 20, 2002, 11:53 AM   #168
HMVNipper
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Gimme Some Truth:
I want to know why my last post was deleted. Writers constantly say that they need to learn to accept criticism in order to better their writing. I think I have a right to let beatlebangs1964 know that her stories were getting old and disgusting, in my opinion. Getting my post deleted is a form of censorship, which is another thing writers are against. So what's the deal here, anyway?

GST

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know anything about your last post being deleted -- I certainly didn't do it if it was in this topic. Only moderators can delete topics, and I have not been on for the last hour and have only seen THIS post by you.

If something did not show up, I would like to know about it, perhaps there was a problem when you posted, but I assure you, NOTHING was deleted, at least not by me or my co-moderator!

------------------

Old Sep 20, 2002, 11:56 AM   #169

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By HMVNipper:
I don't know anything about your last post being deleted -- I certainly didn't do it if it was in this topic. Only moderators can delete topics, and I have not been on for the last hour and have only seen THIS post by you.

If something did not show up, I would like to know about it, perhaps there was a problem when you posted, but I assure you, NOTHING was deleted, at least not by me or my co-moderator!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know, then. I even searched to see if it was actually posted, and it was (try it yourself and you'll see). I appologize for the accusation, and I intend on reposting my opinions.

GST

------------------

Old Sep 20, 2002, 11:59 AM   #170

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlebangs1964:
Say, do you think perhaps comedy is my forte?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me try this again.

If your stories were funny, they might be considered comedy. Truthfully, your first couple of stories were alright. Now it's getting old, with the disgusting descriptions and such (i.e. all the pus references). You obviously have a writing talent; why not use it to make a comical story that's not crude at the same time?

GST

------------------

Old Sep 21, 2002, 12:01 AM   #171
HMVNipper
Sun King

Okay, I'm closing this. It has obviously upset a few people.

I hate to say, I agree that perhaps things have gotten out of hand here with the parodies...at first they were funny, but now perhaps they have reached the realm of tasteless and repetitive, and we all get the point. (Sorry, BB...)

I am sorry, GST, if something inadvertantly did not post, but please rest assured that your opinions are valid and I would not censor someone for having a differing opinion. EVER.

------------------

Old Sep 21, 2002, 12:12 AM   #172
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Let me clear the air a little here. I deleted your post. It was completely inappropriate for your first post. Opinions are one thing, but you're not going to come here and trash our members in your FIRST post. I e-mailed you about it, and you chose to ignore me and just post the same stuff again. If you have anything you want to say, you can e-mail me. Otherwise, that's it.

------------------
Webmaster - BeatleLinks.net
Closed Thread