BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:56 AM   #1
Loony_leo
Bulldog

Default Do any other 2nd generation fans get this?

Okay so I'm a teenager... and I'm obsessed with the Beatles, (why else would I be on this awesome forum if I wasn't?) and I get this all the time from my friends....

" Eww the Beatles? Their OLD!"

It drives me crazy... because these people have never even heard one single song..... how can they judge our lads by how old they are.....and really they aren't that old... I mean.... look at Motzart.... people like him and he's ANCIENT (sp?)
Loony_leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:02 PM   #2
Bexy_Starkey
Dr. Robert

hehe yeah, I get that loads! ONe girl in ma form told me that they were boring, when she knows nothing about them! To be honest with ya, before I got into them I thought they were boring, but I was just being stupid 'cause I had no idea what they were like. It is quite groovy to like such an unusual band when you find someone else as crazy about them as you are though, it sort of gives you a real connection!

Choose Love, dudes!
Bexy_Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:08 PM   #3
Maggie Mae
Mr. Moonlight

I get that all the time, especially from my friends who are supposed "rock fans". It's like they won't listen to anything except what they like, even if the band they like took their inspiration directly from the Beatles. One of my friends spent a whole morning convincing me that this one group he was listening to wasn't inspired by the Beatles even though the album he was listening to was very clearly reminiscent of "Revolver". I even gave him the album to listen to and compare to his band's album, and he couldn't hear the similiarities, which led me to believe that he never even listened to it.

I hate that people immediately assume that because they're old, The Beatles don't make good music. I only recently convinced my brother (with the help of my dad) that The Beatles are worth listening to -- now I hear him listening to Bob Dylan and The Band as often as he listens to the Death Metal (???) bands he usually listens to.

And in the end the love you take
Is equal to the love you make
Maggie Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:11 PM   #4
gearfab
Fool On The Hill

yeah! some person at my school thought the beatles were from the 80s. i dont really like the 80s that much, so i got mad. not to mention that the person was dumber than anything else. ive been listening to the beatles since i was a kid b/c theres always been beatles music at my house, but ive only recently started obsessing. theres one guy at my school who has loved john lennon forever and everyone knows hes beatle obsessive. but yeah a lot of people in this generation think the beatles arent edgy enough or (and this really makes me mad) they think the beatles suck at music. little do they realize that their favorite bands wouldnt exist without the beatles.......... yeah
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:47 PM   #5
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

You guys, this stuff goes back as far as the 70s! I never know whether to call myself a first or second generation fan -- my mother says I was in the room when they were on Ed Sullivan, but given that I was only two at the time I don't remember a darn thing...I got into the Beatles in 1975, so I usually consider myself technically a second generation fan. Anyway, back when I got into them (30 years ago!) it was the height of uncool to admit that you liked them -- I took a lot of heat and was teased and hounded mercilessly by my peers. Mind you, a lot of them were listening to disco at the time -- ugggggghhh! And then there was this friend of mine who liked the Bay City Rollers and told me that they were "better than the Beatles, and in ten years no one would even remember who the Beatles were, but the Rollers would go down in history as even greater!" Um....sure.

My own brother was a disco fan -- and was forever telling me how "the Beatles suck." It wasn't until years and years later that I realized he actually liked them, even then -- and was even going so far as to borrow my records when I wasn't home so he could make tapes of them! But he wouldn't admit it at the time.

The thing is, what I learned after a while was that the Beatles are forever. If you are destined to become this kind of a Beatles fan, it grabs you by the gut the very first time you ever hear or see them, and it never lets you go. The people who tease you or give you crap about it just don't get it, and most of them never will. But you can rest serenely in the knowledge that years from now, when no one remembers half of the people they are so enamored of now, the world will still remember John, Paul, George and Ringo -- and that you will ultimately get the last laugh. Just remember that the next time someone tells you how "immortal" Britney Spears is, or how "profound" some foul-mouthed one-hit wonder is...smile, sit back, and relax. You know you are into something good, and something that will outlast them all!
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:56 PM   #6
Loony_leo
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMVNipper
You guys, this stuff goes back as far as the 70s! I never know whether to call myself a first or second generation fan -- my mother says I was in the room when they were on Ed Sullivan, but given that I was only two at the time I don't remember a darn thing...I got into the Beatles in 1975, so I usually consider myself technically a second generation fan. Anyway, back when I got into them (30 years ago!) it was the height of uncool to admit that you liked them -- I took a lot of heat and was teased and hounded mercilessly by my peers. Mind you, a lot of them were listening to disco at the time -- ugggggghhh! And then there was this friend of mine who liked the Bay City Rollers and told me that they were "better than the Beatles, and in ten years no one would even remember who the Beatles were, but the Rollers would go down in history as even greater!" Um....sure.

My own brother was a disco fan -- and was forever telling me how "the Beatles suck." It wasn't until years and years later that I realized he actually liked them, even then -- and was even going so far as to borrow my records when I wasn't home so he could make tapes of them! But he wouldn't admit it at the time.

The thing is, what I learned after a while was that the Beatles are forever. If you are destined to become this kind of a Beatles fan, it grabs you by the gut the very first time you ever hear or see them, and it never lets you go. The people who tease you or give you crap about it just don't get it, and most of them never will. But you can rest serenely in the knowledge that years from now, when no one remembers half of the people they are so enamored of now, the world will still remember John, Paul, George and Ringo -- and that you will ultimately get the last laugh. Just remember that the next time someone tells you how "immortal" Britney Spears is, or how "profound" some foul-mouthed one-hit wonder is...smile, sit back, and relax. You know you are into something good, and something that will outlast them all!
Woah.......... thats an awesome thing to say......and your right.... totally right :)
Loony_leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 03:41 PM   #7
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer

Send a message via Yahoo to NaomiMcCartney

I use to get that too. Now it seems those that use to tease me for likeing The Beatles, now they like The Beatles. Go figure right. Of course they regret being mean towards me for likeing such a fantastic band!

NaomiMcCartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 05:05 PM   #8
luvsthebeatles
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to luvsthebeatles Send a message via Yahoo to luvsthebeatles

I get that a lot, but my real friends accept it now. I'm even getting them to like the Beatles enough so they can stand them.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 06:11 PM   #9
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Quote:
And then there was this friend of mine who liked the Bay City Rollers and told me that they were "better than the Beatles, and in ten years no one would even remember who the Beatles were, but the Rollers would go down in history as even greater!" Um....sure.
LOL!

Quote:

Very well said, Susan. It is soooo true what you said about it grabbing you by the gut the first time you really hear it, and that it never lets you go. Even when I've gone through phases of not quite so freakoidness over the Beatles, whenever I heard a song of theirs, I would totally spazz over how great they are.

Press on, fellow persecuted fans! Even though there are the smattering of idiots out there who don't know who they are, take comfort in knowing that anyone who truly is a fan of rock'n'roll recognizes the importance and influence of the Beatles. And they recognize this even if they themselves aren't huge fans. And hey, it's been years ago, but back in the late 90s, VH1 did a poll of the best artists in rock'n'roll (which was voted on only by artists themselves and industry insdiers), and guess who was #1? :)

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.

Last edited by erinluv182 : Feb 22, 2005 at 06:12 PM.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 06:12 PM   #10
beatlelover45223

Smile I got that as a teenager too

and I am a 1st generation fan, timeless and enduring music is what we have here, they appeal to all! Give your friends time, they will really listen to these Fab guys and a lightbulb will go off, it may not be now, but many will be won over as they grow older...

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 07:12 PM   #11
matt2791
Wild Honey Pie

Send a message via AIM to matt2791 Send a message via Yahoo to matt2791

I like the Beatles because no two songs sound the same. Also, the musicianship is amazing. A lot of pop out there is just glorified karaoke- there's no passion- it just makes my ears cringe.
No, we need money first!
matt2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:44 PM   #12
Johnny-Girl
Day Tripper

Location: Locked up in my room with John... doing naughty things.
Send a message via MSN to Johnny-Girl Send a message via Yahoo to Johnny-Girl

I get that all the time. People younger than me and people my own age always say they're boring and old. While older people often tend to come up with "The Beatles? Aren't you a bit young for that?"
I really hate both things. Aaaarrggh, especially the latter. That's even more annoying than youngsters saying how boring the boys are.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 01:20 AM   #13
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

The worst kind of critic are the people who say that the Beatles are boring / rubbish etc yet have never actually listened to any of their songs - they're just assuming that because they're old they must be crap.
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 02:27 AM   #14
andalucia
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loony_leo
Okay so I'm a teenager... and I'm obsessed with the Beatles, (why else would I be on this awesome forum if I wasn't?) and I get this all the time from my friends....

" Eww the Beatles? Their OLD!"
well im nearly 40 and i got that in the 80`s

what i have noticed is that if i am in a pub or a club and they play a Beatles song then everybody starts moving, they cant help it, they start tapping their feet or their hands,or start bopping their heads and they all know the words. enough said
andalucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 05:13 AM   #15
Johnny-Girl
Day Tripper

Location: Locked up in my room with John... doing naughty things.
Send a message via MSN to Johnny-Girl Send a message via Yahoo to Johnny-Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbidge
The worst kind of critic are the people who say that the Beatles are boring / rubbish etc yet have never actually listened to any of their songs - they're just assuming that because they're old they must be crap.
That's so true. Half of them don't even know who they are. I have a few colleagues who are about my own age, and they were like "Who?" They had never heard of the Beatles before!
Old Feb 23, 2005, 09:42 AM   #16
LittleDarlin909
Paperback Writer

*ignore this post*

Last edited by LittleDarlin909 : Feb 23, 2005 at 09:43 AM.
LittleDarlin909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 09:57 AM   #17
62hofner

Default I feel your "pain"...

I was only 6 months old when Sgt. Pepper's was released. My aunt turned me on to The Beatles when I was like 10 or 11. I became musically aware when I was like 7 years old when my first favorite songs were "Jet" by Paul, and "You're Sixteen" by Ringo. I thought "jet" was the absolute coolest song. My aunt informed me that these guys were "once part of The Beatles"... and that began my love affair with my aunt's collection of Beatles records!

So, as I moved into my teen years, I made my Beatle fandom no secret. Some kids got it, but some were too busy listening to "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" by Rod Stewart (I love Rod's old stuff, btw) and other music from the late 70's/early 80's. "New" music at that time did nothing for me like Beatles music did. So, while in middle school, I also got the, "Oh, The Beatles are too OLD... listen to something more new like Pink Floyd" "advice"(The Wall being huge at the time). Funny thing is, those kids obviously didn't realize that Pink Floyd were as "old" as The Beatles... they just happened to still be a band (but not for too much longer). Heck, The Beatles were the ones who, at EMI studios, were coaching Pink Floyd as they fumbled about in the studio(!!!!).

High school...??? Well, all my rocker friends were into Rush, and other "progressive" bands. They always made me feel like I was WAY out of it by being a Beatles fan. But, I was at peace - always knowing something THEY did not. Today, I don't hear too much about Rush. But, I'm still hearing about The Beatles!

I eventually got into other bands like Led Zeppelin and Cream... and made the bold move into "new" music by becoming an R.E.M. and U2 fan in the mid 80's. But, no one ever took the top spot away from The Beatles!

So, hang in there youngsters! We need you to carry the torch forward!

Last edited by 62hofner : Feb 23, 2005 at 10:16 AM.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 10:56 AM   #18
Miss O'Dell
Dr. Robert

all the time. But then you get used to it. Then you get bored with it. Then you get a superior attitude when you find your friends boyzone/take that/Blue/barbie girl/anything else CD:)

Be sure to visit the Beatles Fan Fiction Directory !!
...and Atom Retro - My day job!
Miss O'Dell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:47 AM   #19
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Quote:

Susan,

I've always loved the Beatles and did a lot of catching up quickly. I was able to recognize their songs from an early age, and by the time I was 12 became an avid, insatiable fan. (When I was very little, I loved "She Loves You" and thought the "yeah, yeah, yeah" part was SO much fun. Still do).

I coud have said this exact same thing...boy! I have said the Beatles have always been a part of my life...I still hate disco and the one-hit wonders of the Stinky 70s like 1976's "Play That Funky Music White Boy" has all become a chart statistic in trivia whereas the Beatles are timeless classic. The Stinky Seventies was a hard time for Beatle fans to thrive, but we pulled through...yes we did, we pulled through.

My responses to classmates who dissed the Beatles or thought that was a way to insult me: "I think it is sad you are culturally deprived. Go listen to some Beatles!" If some pissy peer said he or she disliked the Beatles, I'd say, "Name 3 of their songs. I'll bet you wouldn't know a Beatle if he kicked your butt with his Beatle boots," or "So? Don't complain to me about your lack of cultural exposure. Buy some Beatle albums!" That usually worked. In later years in running into some of those folks, they have admitted they like the Beatles which came as no surprise to me.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 02:16 PM   #20
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Yeah I've gotten that plenty of times "Okay so you like old men, whatever floats yer boat!" I've also gotten the dead thing too: "Aren't they all dead?" It drives me nuts, but what can you do?

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote