BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Goodnight Vienna

Old Jun 08, 2010, 03:41 AM   #1
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Exclamation Former Beatle Ringo Starr Rules Out Autobiography

Former Beatle Ringo Starr Rules Out Autobiography

http://www.cinemablend.com/celebrity...phy-25039.html

Ringo Starr has ruled out writing an autobiography - because readers would only be interested in his life as a Beatle. The drummer admits he'd rather write about his youth in the occasional song - because it would be too painful to recall his upbringing in detail.

He tells British music magazine Mojo, "I was asked to write an autobiography. I don't really want to because you only wanna hear about 1962 to 1970. You're not really interested in my growing up. So I can put it in song a lot easier and it's a lot less painful."
Old Jun 08, 2010, 03:54 AM   #2
JudithKristen
Wild Honey Pie

I think Ringo is mistaken that we wouldn't be interested.

We were interested back in 1964! We knew he was a sickly child, raised by a single Mom, no indoor plumbing....
Remember, he even did a special and took his son Jason to all the old places... waaaaaaaaay before he became a Beatle!

If we weren't interested in him after 1970... why do we still buy his records and go to his concerts? He may have had a painful life as a kid, but MANY of us had it rough... and we didn't luck out and become Beatles. :)

Write, Ringo, Write!

I'll help you!!! :)

Last edited by JudithKristen : Jun 08, 2010 at 06:19 AM.
JudithKristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 08, 2010, 07:06 AM   #3
ShowTunes
Wild Honey Pie

Ah, well, it's his prerogative, and he's been pretty clear about his desires for a while now. I bet he remembers what happened when George wrote his autobiography... the critical reception of that wasn't too great! And he's said many times that his memory is full of holes and that he's sure to be corrected by tons of people if he says something happened.

As for the painful life and not wanting to write about it, I totally understand that. There's a period in my (grown-up) life that I have a great idea for a play about... but it's so painful and personal that I doubt I'll be able to for a long, long time, if ever. (And to give you some idea, the fact that it deals with my mother's Alzheimer's is NOT the painful part.)
Old Jun 08, 2010, 08:47 AM   #4
dogman
Nowhere Man

i think ringo is correct.
Old Jun 08, 2010, 03:08 PM   #5
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I can't blame the man. If he DID write an autobiography, it would probably be titled "It Don't Come Easy" or "Other Side of Liverpool." We all know Ringo has been trying to dodge and come out from under the Beatle shadow for years. We understand, the man wants to be recognized for his many accomplishments and not just for the nearly 8 years of joy he gave the world as a Beatle.

The poor guy had a very traumatic boyhood with those illnesses and the time he served recovering. For any child to be away from home for a long period of time to recover - that is sheer trauma! (I am embarrassed about this, but when I was little, that always got to me).

We all know Starkey Sr. was a right prince of a man who didn't do jack for his only child. While I never knew the man personally, from all accounts he walked out and really did not offer any input or make many efforts to contact his only child. It's not like the man lived out of the area. Damn, the man's own immediate family were there for Ritchie, but where in the Sam Hill was Starkey Sr.?! That doesn't say anything about anybody else, but it sure is a telling statement about him! Let's just say he was no Jim McCartney and no Harold Sr., two very responsible men who did right by their families.

I think it took courage for Ringo to do "Other Side of Liverpool." and, although I am not overly fond of this one, "Weight of the World."

"Snookeroo" could be considered an autobiographical song about a blue collar life in Liverpool with few viable options. With the exception of "born on the eve of Halloween," which we all know Ringo was NOT, it still sounds like a very autobiographical song. Good thing he did get to the Other Side of Liverpool and that Drums, Guitar and Amp were his ticket to ride out.

The poor guy grew up in harsh circumstances. Money was scarce and the extra treats were hard to come by. Violence was part of the Dingle, what with the infamous Peanut Gang. Survival often depended on brains and a way out - drums, guitar and amp.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Jun 09, 2010 at 02:51 AM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 09, 2010, 08:20 AM   #6
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

It's dissapointing that he won't write one, because I'm interested in life with Rory Storm and The Hurricanes.
LennonStarrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 09, 2010, 04:29 PM   #7
JudithKristen
Wild Honey Pie

At age 70 he would surely need to devote years to look back on 7 decades of his life.

Maybe instead Ringo just wants to ride it all out with his own kind of music and some peace.

Can't say I blame him.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 04:29 PM   #8
JudithKristen
Wild Honey Pie

AND... we would all be indeed blessed with Dad's as wonderful as Harold and Jim.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 05:30 PM   #9
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Amen to that, Sister Judy!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote