BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:26 AM   #1
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Default The "lost" Wings album...

"Holly Days" (1976) *

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/albu...fdf7/93997.jpg

* An album of Buddy Holly covers, recorded at Paul's farm in Scotland

It's credited to Denny Laine but, considering that only Paul, Denny and Linda play and sing on it and that, out of ten tracks, two were instrumentals and two or three more have Paul or Paul and Linda singing 50/50 (or 33/33/33) with Denny it then sort of makes it a "Denny album" only by name, and more of a "de facto" Wings LP.

At first, I was either not going to bring it up, or give it a pasting, as the none of the songs sound nothing like Buddy Holly tracks and they were recorded "on the cheap", using a drum machine on most tracks (and when I say drum machine, I mean more like synth percussions that you'd have on a cheap organ) and the whole album has a demo sound of the sort that would make you think that it's a bootleg, and not an officially released album (but it is !).

BUT, after playing it a few more times, it's actually quite good, if one gets over that none of the songs sound even remotely like Buddy Holly tracks...

No, no risk of being considered among Wings better albums, certainly not, but it does make for a fun listen...
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 09:12 AM   #2
BeatleNut9
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCKO View Post
"Holly Days" (1976) *

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/albu...fdf7/93997.jpg

* An album of Buddy Holly covers, recorded at Paul's farm in Scotland

It's credited to Denny Laine but, considering that only Paul, Denny and Linda play and sing on it and that, out of ten tracks, two were instrumentals and two or three more have Paul or Paul and Linda singing 50/50 (or 33/33/33) with Denny it then sort of makes it a "Denny album" only by name, and more of a "de facto" Wings LP.

At first, I was either not going to bring it up, or give it a pasting, as the none of the songs sound nothing like Buddy Holly tracks and they were recorded "on the cheap", using a drum machine on most tracks (and when I say drum machine, I mean more like synth percussions that you'd have on a cheap organ) and the whole album has a demo sound of the sort that would make you think that it's a bootleg, and not an officially released album (but it is !).

BUT, after playing it a few more times, it's actually quite good, if one gets over that none of the songs sound even remotely like Buddy Holly tracks...

No, no risk of being considered among Wings better albums, certainly not, but it does make for a fun listen...
Thanks for sharing!
BeatleNut9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2010, 02:33 AM   #3
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatleNut9 View Post
Thanks for sharing!
Your welcomed...

Like I said, it's no classic materpiece, but it a good listen... and actually, there a song or two on it that are hard to get out of your head, once you've played it a couple of times.

"Heartbeat" and "Moon beam" come to mind...
Old Jan 01, 2010, 03:31 AM   #4
FPSHOT
Sun King

I have a little background info.

The songs were

Heartbeat
Moondreams
Rave on
I'm Gonna Love You Too
Fool's Paradise
Lonesome Tears
It's So Easy / Listen To Me (medley)
Look At Me
Take Your Time
I'm Looking For Someone To Love

Recorded summer 1976

In the same way that "McGear" is considered a McCartney project rather than a 'for others' project, Denny Laine'salbum falls in the same category.

Bascially it was a way to exploit the recent acquisition by Paul of the vast majority on the Holly song catalog and is in all but name a Paul project with Denny Laine vocals, as Paul arranged and recorded the backing tracks himself.

Overdubs were added by Denny and Linda and backing vocals by the three of them. The project took about 3 weeks with a small amount of orchestral overdubbing at Abbey Road. It was then mixed in to mono and was then electronically reprocessed for stereo.

A single, It's So Easy, Listen To Me, back with "I'm Looking For Someone To Love" was issued in the UK by EMI (2523) to commemorate the 40th anniversary of Holly's birth in Sept 76. A US release (Capitol 4340) occurred the next month and the single failed to garner any chart succes. The LP release als sank without a trace. Another single was released Moondreams / Heartbeat also without any succes.

Twenty minutes of backing tracks are on a bootleg by Library's "2 buddies On Holly Days". A Cassette entitled "Holly Days' was sold by Christie's as part of the Trevor Jones collection.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2010, 06:11 PM   #5
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Thanks, gentlemen. I love Buddy Holly and I am an inveterate Paul fan, so this is excellent information to me.

When I saw Paul, he sang "That'll Be the Day" when he was doing his practice session.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2010, 03:18 PM   #6
dogman
Nowhere Man

wings, the band the beatles COULD of been!
Old Jan 05, 2010, 12:03 AM   #7
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
Bascially it was a way to exploit the recent acquisition by Paul of the vast majority on the Holly song catalog
The idea to make such an album, for those reasons, was suggested to Paul by Lee Eastman.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:59 AM   #8
wim1958
Fool On The Hill

Nice that you mention this ABCKO . It is an album that not many people remember . I bought my lp when it came out in 1976 . It has a nice sleeve. The inner sleeve has beautiful pictures of Denny and Paul on the farm in Scotland . It s a fun album , and for me it made me become interested in the music of Buddy Holly .
My favorites are Rave on with Paul and Linda on vocals and Moon Dreams with a typical Paul arrangement for orchestra.

Paul and Denny did some wonderful things together , their voices blend beautiful , and i still hope they will do some music in the future , as they are friends again .

My copy of the album has a leaflet inside to take part in a EMI / MPL competition , " Who has a nice holiday anekdote "

Some years ago it came out on an import cd from France .
wim1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:33 AM   #9
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

What a Godsend to find this!

Paul is a genius. It's as simple as that. His ability to aurally "envision" music (I know, mixing modes) and to create the arrangements taht he does is nothing short of phenomenal.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote