BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Default John Lennon's 71st Birthday Celebrations and Events

I thought I would start this thread of upcoming events and celebrations planned for John Lennon's 71st birthday thats on October 9th.I will keep posting in this thread other information about 71st birthday events as they become available.

THE LIVERPOOL SHUFFLE @PORT JAZZ
Saturday, October 8, 2011
9:00 pm - 11:00pm
Come hang with us for the "ANNUAL JOHN LENNON BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION". Prizes, surprizes 
and special guests to help us remember John's 71st birthday.
201 Main Street
 , Port Jefferson, NY 11777-1696
. $ 12 cover charge at the door.
For more info call (631) 476-7600 or visit their web site www.portjazz.com

Upcoming Events

http://www.theliverpoolshuffle.com/events

Examiner national
September 19, 2011
Hollywood to celebrate John Lennon's birthday with breakfast event

John Lennon's 71st birthday will be celebrated in Hollywood, CA., on Oct. 9 with a potluck "Birthday Breakfast and Brunch With the Beatles" beginning at 8 a.m. in front of the Capitol Records tower at 1750 N. Vine St., Hollywood, CA.The breakfast will take place at Lennon's Hollywood Walk of Fame star. The event will begin with with music from Chris Carter's "Breakfast With the Beatles" on KLOS-FM from 8 to 11 am Following the broadcast, fans will perform Lennon and Beatles songs. Chris Carter will also join the event at noon to lead the cake-cutting ceremony.Fans are invited to bring flowers to place around Lennon's star, a potluck dish, music and poetry to share, plus blankets and folding chairs to sit on.

http://www.examiner.com/beatles-in-n...reakfast-event

The Bowery Presents
John Lennon 71st Birthday Celebration
Alan Merrill (John Lennon set), Sean Yox & the Streamers (Beatles Lennon set), David Peel & Apple Band
Sun, October 9, 2011
Doors: 7:00 pm
Mercury Lounge
New York, NY

http://www.mercuryloungenyc.com/event/65579

Straus News
September 16, 2011
Lycian to celebrate John Lennon’s 71st birthday with a little help from a tribute performer

Sugar Loaf — “Lennon-Live” comes to the Lycian Centre for the Performing Arts on Saturday, Oct. 8, just in time to serve as a celebration of John Lennon’s 71st birthday the next day, on October 9th.The show, presented by Kings Theatre Company, is a tribute to the music and life of John Lennon from the Beatles era through his solo career.“Lennon-Live” stars Peter Gendron, a singer songwriter originally from Rhode Island. Starting off in the cover band circuit and fronting his own original band in the 1980’s ,he played all over the country. One of his original songs “Temporary Solutions” was included on the Living Rooms “City History” album in 1984 along with local legends the Schemers and the Neighborhoods.

http://www.strausnews.com/articles/2...ainment/13.txt

Veterans Group Holding John Lennon Birthday Benefit Concert
Saturday, October 8, 2011
Imagine – A John Lennon Birthday Benefit Concert , Fourth annual concert featuring area musical

Artists Chris Buhalis, Annie & Rod Capps, Wire in the Wood, Dave Keeney, Sophia Hanifi, Ypsitucky Colonels, Jack Spack, Eric Kelly, Derek Daniel, Me and Ryan, and Danny Kline. They will all perform selected works of John Lennon to commemorate his October birthday. All proceeds go to the local Chapter of Veterans For Peace for their Peace Scholarship fund which assists college students studying any college level course aimed at conflict resolution or peace studies. Having served in the military, Veterans For Peace members have been trained to wage war. These same veterans can think of no better way to prevent future wars than to help foster education in peacemaking.The John Lennon concert will take place at The Corner Brewery, Forest and Norris, Ypsilanti on Saturday, October 8th, 2011 starting at 7pm. Tickets are at the door for $10. For more information, call 487-9058, email wolverbob@gmail.com or visit www.vfp93.org.

http://www.annarbor.com/community/co...nefit_concert/

Last edited by Peregrine9 : Sep 22, 2011 at 08:39 PM.
Peregrine9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Maia 66
Sun King

...and what will we be doing on Menlove Avenue to celebrate Scruffie's 31st?? Anyone got any ideas?

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Apple Scruff
Sun King

You're darling. I live vicariously through John celebrations, like Sean. Have you read that interview from Sean, Maia, where he says he doesn't even care about his birthday much because his birthday is the day he celebrates his father. I adore that...it was from last year some time prior to John's 70th.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:26 PM   #4
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Can we just stop for a second and contemplate the fact that John would have been 71?

I can't fathom it.

I picture he'd be a GQMF 71 year old walking around with the swagger he OWNED, speaking his mind and beating everyone to the punch. Totally awesome, completely his own man.

And very proud of his accomplishments, but in a really cool kind of way. Proud of his sons. Just...proud. And beautiful. And still devoted to his message.

And, sorry, but I think he'd STILL be with Madam Yoko Ono Lennon. They were partners for life in a way that's hard for people to understand. My opinion.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Maia 66
Sun King

He would have been a crotchedy, but lovable geezer!! Cool as hell, really tuned in to what was going on in the world. And I agree that he would have been proud as hell of his accomplishments, but not self-satisfied. It would've been interesting to watch him collect accolades... he'd make it all seem cool, not at all corny!!

All I want is the truth

Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:25 PM   #6
Dr. Robert

I will play a reggae version of "Don't Worry Kyoko" on my saxophone to honor AppleZen's 31st birthday.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:13 PM   #7
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 834 View Post
I will play a reggae version of "Don't Worry Kyoko" on my saxophone to honor AppleZen's 31st birthday.
Ah, how sweet. You know how to win my heart 834.

And since I've made no secret of my undying love/loyalty to STINKY I think it's extra sweet that you chose that particular number, of course, since any cover version of it may probably win me over the original.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:15 PM   #8
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
He would have been a crotchedy, but lovable geezer!! Cool as hell, really tuned in to what was going on in the world. And I agree that he would have been proud as hell of his accomplishments, but not self-satisfied. It would've been interesting to watch him collect accolades... he'd make it all seem cool, not at all corny!!
Yes, yes, yes...All this. I am a dreamer/hypothetical thinker by nature (sorry Julian Lennon, who abhors the latter) and I feel like there wouldn't be an old man who could top John's coolness if he had made it to 71. Maybe my dad. Or yours!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 04:08 AM   #9
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
You're darling. I live vicariously through John celebrations, like Sean. Have you read that interview from Sean, Maia, where he says he doesn't even care about his birthday much because his birthday is the day he celebrates his father. I adore that...it was from last year some time prior to John's 70th.
Nooo, I didn't read that statement from Sean, how nice from him; I adore that too

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 04:22 AM   #10
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Can we just stop for a second and contemplate the fact that John would have been 71?

I can't fathom it.

I picture he'd be a GQMF 71 year old walking around with the swagger he OWNED, speaking his mind and beating everyone to the punch. Totally awesome, completely his own man.

And very proud of his accomplishments, but in a really cool kind of way. Proud of his sons. Just...proud. And beautiful. And still devoted to his message.

And, sorry, but I think he'd STILL be with Madam Yoko Ono Lennon. They were partners for life in a way that's hard for people to understand. My opinion.
I also think that John would be proud of his sons. Maybe he still would write songs about what happens in the world or just about himself, like on DF

And SORRY, but I don't think he'd still be with Yoko, no way He'd moved to England since years ago to be closer to his family, as he was getting homesick at the end of the 70's.

Snoopy
Old Sep 22, 2011, 04:32 AM   #11
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
I also think that John would be proud of his sons. Maybe he still would write songs about what happens in the world or just about himself, like on DF

And SORRY, but I don't think he'd still be with Yoko, no way He'd moved to England since years ago to be closer to his family, as he was getting homesick at the end of the 70's.

Snoopy
I totally agree Snoopy. She was getting ready to leave him in early '80 anyways and I think it would have played out had he lived. I also agree that he would have gone back to his roots and tried to make peace with his past as best he could.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:07 AM   #12
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 834 View Post
I totally agree Snoopy. She was getting ready to leave him in early '80 anyways and I think it would have played out had he lived. I also agree that he would have gone back to his roots and tried to make peace with his past as best he could.
Hi

Thank's for your support

Actually, there were many rumours that Yoko wanted to leave John anyway and that she already had contacted her lawyer Moreover, John apparantly had stronger phone-contact to his sister Julia.

Snoopy
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:58 PM   #13
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
Nooo, I didn't read that statement from Sean, how nice from him; I adore that too

Snoopy
I found the article here. (Be warned: there is a picture of that creature in the article)

Here's Sean's quote:

Quote:
"It's too much of an important day to think of my birthday — it's all about being there for Mum and remembering Dad."
What Sean says about if his father were alive today:

Quote:
"My dad was an incredibly optimistic person and even in today's troubles and wars he would've still been standing up against it. But he would have seen the positive side of bad times as he believed in the resilience of human beings."
On "what if?"

Quote:
"I try not to think 'What if' — but it gets hard for me to imagine what life would have been like if he had lived. I just think it's sad that I've never been able to enjoy an adult relationship like I have with my mum and my friends. But I try not to beat my head against the wall asking what could have been."

Memories of his dad:

Quote:
"People think I was too young to remember him but there are lots of things I remember about my dad, like him teaching me how to swim, how to use a knife and fork and him rolling up his cigarettes.I remember him telling me about England and promising he'd take me to Liverpool. But he never did.If I had a favourite album of dad's then it's his first Plastic Ono Band album because it's the most emotive — I love the way he sings."
On the *********** who killed his dad:

Quote:
"I think [my mom] must be stronger than I am, as I can't bring myself to think about [MDC]. Otherwise I will find myself in a downward spiral.I don't even know what to say or think about that man. But whatever, I will always be here to support Mum in everything she does in keeping Dad's music and memory alive. That's my job and one that I will always do to my very best ability."
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:35 PM   #14
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

The Valley Voice
September 18, 2011
John Lennon Imagined (Beatles & Solo Years) Award-Winning Ensemble Celebrates Music Icon’s Birthday at One Longfellow Square October 8th

When: Saturday, October 8th, 2011, 8 PM show
Where: One Longfellow Square, 181 State St, Portland, ME. 04101
Tickets: $30 www.onelongfellowsquare.com (207) 761-1757

New York, NY – September 7 – Just in time to celebrate John Lennon’s 71st birthday, one of the most unique and compelling interpretations of the late music icon’s compositions comes from 7-piece ensemble The Nu-Utopians (formerly The John Lennon Song Project). The thoughtfully re-imagined tribute celebrates the genius and artistry of the icon’s music.

The 7-piece ensemble, created and led by Rex Fowler of Aztec Two-Step and Tom Dean of Devonsquare performs a live show featuring entertaining storytelling, and like their CD, superb lead singing and 3-part harmonies, plus a host of accomplished musicians on acoustic, electric and bass guitars, cello, violin, mandolin, accordion, chromatic harmonica and light percussion.Concert goers will be treated to exquisite renditions of Lennon’s legendary Beatles songs, as well as from his solo years, often weaving melody, lyric and song together in a series of singles and mini-medleys. These tunes are given surprisingly fresh treatments that often inspire a whole new appreciation for Lennon’s original lyric.

http://thevalleyvoice.org/2011/09/18...ber-8th/37478/

Last edited by Peregrine9 : Sep 23, 2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 05:56 AM   #15
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
I found the article here. (Be warned: there is a picture of that creature in the article)
Hi Scruffie

Thank's for the article; I really enjoy all the answers of Sean; he seems very mature for his age .... oh, and thank's for the warning; I just overlooked the picture of that creature...

Snoopy
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:44 AM   #16
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Default Imagine Peace Tower to be lit for John Lennon's 71st birthday

Examiner National
September 24, 2011
Imagine Peace Tower to be lit for John Lennon's 71st birthday

As she has done each year on John Lennon's birthday Oct. 9, Yoko Ono will again be present this year for a lighting of the Imagine Peace Tower in Iceland. A lighting ceremony will take place at 7 p.m. at Harpa Concert Hall and Conference Center. A concert featuring Ono and the Plastic Ono Band will take place there at 8 p.m.Yoko and the Plastic Ono Band will also be one of the featured performers at the Iceland Airwaves Festival Oct. 12-16 in Reykjavik. Those also performing at the festival will be Björk and The Line of Best Fit favourites Niki & the Dove and Beach House. More information is available at the Iceland Airwaves website.

http://www.examiner.com/beatles-in-n...non-s-birthday

Last edited by Peregrine9 : Sep 25, 2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:30 PM   #17
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Dix Hills Performing Arts Center presents “Four John: A Rock ’n’ Roll Concerto” in celebration of Lennon’s life and music

The band Mostly Moptop will highlight four phases in Lennon’s career, Oct 1. at 7:30 p.m., including Lennon as rock ’n roller, wordplay imagist, despairing romantic, and utopian visionary. September 2, 2011, Dix Hills, New York – The Dix Hills Performing Arts Center and the John Lennon Center for Music and Technology are pleased to celebrate what would have been John Lennon’s 71st birthday month, with a unique program entitled: “Four John: A Rock ’n Roll Concerto” beginning at 7:30 pm, on* October 1st 2011.

The show will feature a one-time performance by local Beatles tribute band Mostly Moptop. In addition to their acclaimed note-for-note performances of classic songs from both the Beatles and John Lennon’s solo years, Mostly Moptop will debut a special four-part song cycle homage to Lennon’s life, art and music.Spoken passages from Lennon’s book and play In His Own Write, will be performed during the piece by Moptop’s Anthony Pomes, along with such classic Beatles tracks as “Please Please Me,” “A Hard Day’s Night,” and “I Am the Walrus.” Lennon’s prolific solo career will be paid tribute to with such songs as “Mind Games,” “Watching the Wheels,” and “Imagine.” Mostly Moptop will be joined by five additional musicians for this new show, including Five Towns College faculty member and virtuoso saxophonist Demetrius Spaneas.Tim Riley, National Public Radio’s music critic and author of the new book Lennon (Hyperion) will speak briefly about the book and the decade he dedicated to researching and writing it.

http://dhpac.org/News-And-Noteworthy/mostly-moptop.html

The 71st birthday of John Lennon show. GREAT bands paying tribute. ROD WEBBER, CAT WHISKER, CONVEY,
ERIN BROWN BAND, CAP'T SOLO'S JAZZ PUNK TRIO, ERIC COLVILE
Wednesday, October 12, 2011A
89 Green Street
Worcester, MA 01604-4134

http://www.socialweb.net/Events/133084.lasso

Life on Long Island
The John Lennon Birthday Celebration
Presented by Dix Hills Performing Arts Center
Date: October 1, 2011
Time: 7:30 pm

This October, In Commemoration Of What would Have Been The Month Of John Lennon’s Seventy-First Birthday, Long Island’s Popular Beatles Tribute Band mostly Moptop Will Present A “John Lennon Birthday Celebration” Concert unlike Any Other. In Addition To Their Acclaimed note-For-Note Performances Of Classic Songs From Both The Beatles And John Lennon’s Solo Years, mostly Moptop Will Debut A Special Four-Part song Cycle Homage To Lennon’s Life, Art And Music called “Four John: A Rock ’n Roll Concerto.” Spoken Passages From Lennon’s Book And Play “In His Own Write” Will Be Performed During The piece By Moptop’s Anthony Pomes. Come Together With Mostly Moptop For Their Ambitious New “Concept Concert,” And Become A Part Of The Celebration... For John.

Where: DHPAC At Five Towns College
305 N. Service Rd
Dix Hills, NY

http://www.lifeonlongisland.com/inde...&EventID=12657

We are ringing in John Lennon’s 71st birthday with a no-holds bar celebration of his life and his music. From the skiffle days of Liverpool to the senseless murder at the Dakota Building, Lennon’s impact on the pop culture world is unmatched.He left us so many groundbreaking tunes, both with the Fab Four and as a solo artist, that whittling them down to the definitive Best of the Best for a Sing-Along was no easy feat. But we did it. We poured thru concerts, films, and amazing archival footage to tell the whole story of the mischievous and intellectual Beatle from start to end. Warning: this show packs a emotional punch.

Year 2011 Run Time 120 min
Sunday, October 9, 2011
Stone Oak
San Antonio , TX

http://drafthouse.com/movies/Action_...ng/san_antonio

The Peace Abbey
2nd Annual Pre-Larz Anderson VW Bus Rally and Camping on Saturday, October 8th 2011 at the Peace Abbey in celebration of John Lennon’s 71st birthday. Live music, great food, awesome camping experience. For one day only with limited sites available. Call 508-259-8508 to register or download registration form.

The Peace Abbey is dedicated to creating innovative models for society that empower individuals on the paths of nonviolence, peacemaking, and cruelty-free living. We offer a variety of programs and resources that teach, inspire and encourage one to speak out and act on issues of peace and social justice. Faith in action is the cornerstone of our fellowship and activist pacifism is our creed.

http://www.peaceabbey.org/

Last edited by Peregrine9 : Sep 26, 2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:59 PM   #18
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine9 View Post
Examiner National
September 24, 2011
Imagine Peace Tower to be lit for John Lennon's 71st birthday

As she has done each year on John Lennon's birthday Oct. 9, Yoko Ono will again be present this year for a lighting of the Imagine Peace Tower in Iceland. A lighting ceremony will take place at 7 p.m. at Harpa Concert Hall and Conference Center. A concert featuring Ono and the Plastic Ono Band will take place there at 8 p.m.Yoko and the Plastic Ono Band will also be one of the featured performers at the Iceland Airwaves Festival Oct. 12-16 in Reykjavik. Those also performing at the festival will be Björk and The Line of Best Fit favourites Niki & the Dove and Beach House. More information is available at the Iceland Airwaves website.

http://www.examiner.com/beatles-in-n...non-s-birthday

Okay, who's going to Iceland? Scratch that...who wants to go to Iceland and see this baby up close?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:14 PM   #19
Maia 66
Sun King

Me!! I want to go see Iceland before it melts away and Bjork is forced to live on an iceberg floating in the Arctic Ocean... oh, and I'd love to see the peace tower! Must be a sight to see in the starry arctic skies.

All I want is the truth

Old Oct 03, 2011, 12:49 PM   #20
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Default John Lennon re-imagined at TCAN Oct. 7

The Milford Daily New
October 3, 2011
John Lennon re-imagined at TCAN Oct. 7

NATICK —John Lennon asked people to "Imagine" a better world in songs that still touch fans.Award-winning musicians Rex Fowler and Tom Dean will lead an eight-piece ensemble that "re-imagines" Lennon's best-loved songs Friday, Oct. 7, at The Center for Arts in Natick.Appearing two days before what would have been Lennon's 71st birthday, their group called Nu-Utopians will perform hits like "Across the Universe," "We Can Work It Out," "I Am the Walrus" and -- of course -- "Imagine.""We do this out of reverence for John Lennon. This is something I've wanted to do forever," said Fowler. "We're not trying to be the Beatles. Our mission is to play respectful acoustic versions of some of John's greatest hits for our audiences."The concert, "Imagined: Celebrating the Songs of John Lennon," starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are still available. Fowler, who previously performed at TCAN with Aztec-Two Step, the folk-rock duo he founded with Neal Shulman, said he expects the Nu-Utopians to play two sets of one hour each with an intermission. There will be no opening act. He formed the group with Dean, who sang and played for 30 years with Devonsquare, to "honor the majesty of John Lennon's music."In a telephone interview, Fowler said the group adapted its name from the imaginary country of "Nutopia" which Lennon and his wife Yoko Ono "founded" to promote world peace.

http://www.milforddailynews.com/ente...-at-TCAN-Oct-7