BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Jul 27, 2010, 03:55 AM   #1
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Default George Harrison's Sister Has Scoop On Fab 4

George Harrison's Sister Has Scoop On Fab 4

http://www.wsmv.com/entertainment/24398968/detail.html

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Beatles got their first glimpse of the United States in February 1964, or so the story goes. One member of the iconic band had actually been here a year earlier to visit his older sister in downstate Illinois.

"When he came to see me in the fall of '63, there was a little garage band I was friends with, and their lead guitar player played with the Grand Ole Opry," said Louise Harrison. "And George was impressed. 'Oh, wow, this guy has been at the Grand Ole Opry.' George was still 20 years old at the time."

Louise Harrison was 11 years old when her baby brother George was born. Once he started playing music, she was his cheerleader and song plugger, knocking on radio station doors across the American Midwest.

"I started going 'round to radio stations with the singles that had come out and saying, 'This is my kid brother's band, and it's No. 1 in England. Would you like to play it?'" Harrison said.

No one took her up on the offer until the "Ed Sullivan Show." Harrison said she looks at the film of the show now knowing something no one else might notice: Her Beatle brother was sick as a dog.

"He had the strep throat and 104-degree temperature when he came into New York to do the 'Ed Sullivan Show,'" Harrison said. "I know how ill he was; he was almost reeling on his feet, and some reporter had the gall to write, 'Three Beatles are out in Central Park while the other one was overcome with over-indulgence.'"

For the next 18 months she was on the Beatles beat for American radio: 21 major stations relied on her for the inside scoop on the Fab 4.

Though her brother has been gone about nine years, Harrison said not a day goes by that she doesn't hear her little brother's voice.

George was the first role she cast in her own Beatles tribute band, Liverpool Legends.

She offered this advice for all the other sisters, mothers or brothers of aspiring musicians in Nashville:

"My advice would be don't worry about the fact that you're struggling. Be thankful you're not a millionaire," said Harrison. "Once you're a millionaire, you don't ever know who your real friends are."

She said the biggest misconception about her brother George is that he was the quiet Beatle; she said he was as boisterous and fun as any of the others.

Another Beatle, Paul McCartney, has a concert Monday night at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville. Thirty-six years ago, McCartney and his band Wings spent a few weeks in rural Wilson County and recorded a song called "Junior's Farm." But they never did a show in Nashville.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:26 PM   #2
FPSHOT
Sun King

Nice article but what keeps coming back to me is;

Louise keeps talking about the ancient 60's visit

Nothing ever about other visits, nothing about her visiting Friar Park, she was not at the Star last year to name one example of many which are available.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:20 PM   #3
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Dis Lou if people will, but if it hadn't been for her nursing her brother back to health so he could play on televison with the other boys, we would not have had the full Beatle experience in 1964.

It's a damn good thing she came - the Beatles without George is like Chrysler without Dodge!

George's visit to Benton in 1963 predates his worldwide fame (outside of Europe), so I think the deal is that Lou is wanting to share the brother she knew, "Before He Was Fab," as stated in the book she co-authored.

It would be interesting to read of her trips to the UK to visit George and you can't help but wonder why she wasn't at the Star event. Perhaps it had to do with her daughter's health? Her son passed away recently, so poor Lou has had some major issues to contend with. Her daughter was in ICU, condition undisclosed and I wonder if Leslie Louise has made a full recovery. As for Gordon Jr., he sadly died at an early age last year, I believe.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 03:52 AM   #4
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
It would be interesting to read of her trips to the UK to visit George and you can't help but wonder why she wasn't at the Star event. Perhaps it had to do with her daughter's health? Her son passed away recently, so poor Lou has had some major issues to contend with. Her daughter was in ICU, condition undisclosed and I wonder if Leslie Louise has made a full recovery. As for Gordon Jr., he sadly died at an early age last year, I believe.
I too would like to hear a bit about her later visits with George. And I also wonder why she wasn't there for the Star thing. BB you are probably on to something with the suggestion that it is her family difficulties which may have prevented that.

What about her relationship with Oliva and Dhani? How do they get on? Any idea?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 05:50 AM   #5
JudithKristen
Wild Honey Pie

There was a brother/sister bond there that no one can deny. No matter what happened between them over the course of four decades of fame... they always had that beautiful Harrison Family love.

I love ANY story I hear from Louise.
JudithKristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:28 AM   #6
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudithKristen View Post
I love ANY story I hear from Louise.
I actually feel sorry for her these days. Trapped in Branson Missouri with a bunch of impersonators, telling apocrophal tales to a clueless audience every night. What a way to spend your golden years.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:05 PM   #7
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I love any story about Lou and Louise as well.

Some of my relatives and their friends went to Branson the summer of 1995. They said the place is a tinsel facade of impersonators and is a testament to a bygone era of tired lounge lizards. My oldest aunt said that if it had not been for one member of their party, the place would not have had ANY diversity.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote