BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Aug 01, 2014, 05:20 PM   #121
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
McCartney II is pure awesomeness from start to finish. And Wild Life is better than Speed of Sound. Well, maybe. I wouldn't go to war over that one, but "Some People Never Know" is better than anything on SoS or V&M for that matter.

If you really wanna talk bad Macca albums, let's just wait for the Press to Play reissue. Although even that should include the CD debut of the single mix of "Pretty Little Head," which alone will justify shelling out for the box set.
In all honesty, I'm in agreement with you about M2. But it took 30 yrs to come to that conclusion. I think that album is an amazing glimpse into the mind of a genius that was trying to distance himself from Yesterday. But it's a pretty hated album amongst the minions.
Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2014, 10:34 PM   #122
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Oh, I used to despise it too. Thought it was trash other than the beautiful "One of These Days." I wondered what the hell happened to the song "Coming Up" that was such an awesome rocker in the live version I heard on Wingspan, and what drugs Paul was using when he came up with "Temporary Secretary" and "Bogey Music."

But a few years before the reissue came out, and I started getting into more unconventional music like Talking Heads, I became a full-on convert. I like both versions of "Coming Up" now, but I find the studio version a lot more exciting. And whatever drugs he was on for "Temporary Secretary" and "Bogey Music," well hook me up Sir Paulie because I want to ride whatever train led you to such amazing works of art. Ok, so in fairness, I can objectively admit that "Bogey Music" is hardly a shining example as far as composition goes, but it's fun and I enjoy listening to it. It's a great headphones song. "Temporary Secretary" might be in my top 10 post-Beatles songs from all four members. And I haven't even covered the awesome groove of the b-side "Check My Machine." I can't help but dance any time I hear it. My only two laments--the full-length version leaves out the "Hi George, morning Terry" part, and at almost nine minutes, it's still not long enough.

And after insulting it earlier tonight, I decided to listen to Press to Play again. There are some weak songs ("However Absurd" is awful) but it actually isn't that bad overall. I sort of feel like it's the last time Paul made a conscious effort to produce hits and be contemporary, and thus it feels less genuine than his later releases, particularly from Flaming Pie onward. But there's some good stuff here. "Write Away" is one of those songs that I never really feel compelled to listen to but I always think is great when I hear it. "Press" is catchy; "Talk More Talk" and "Pretty Little Head" are excellent time capsules of mid-80s production and just have an awesome sound to them; and "Only Love Remains" is another in the long line of great ballads that Paul could write in his sleep. I've always compared it to a more successful version of "Warm and Beautiful."

So to bring it back on topic, I think Speed of Sound has the most potentially exciting bonus disc of any of the reissues so far. The album itself is pretty slight to me, but that Bonham version of "Beware My Love" has me salivating. Venus and Mars is an album that's grown on me but I still feel like it's like a 60/40 split of really good songs and filler. But keep in mind, that's Paul McCartney filler, which is usually A-list material for other acts.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2014, 05:22 AM   #123
Bongo
Nowhere Man

Exclamation

I too have to admit that it took me a few decades to warm up to some of his later recordings, but ya "One Of These Days", is a classic that I used to play over and over on my turntable. But the rest of the LP never did anything for me, and I doubt it ever will.

Same with the Wild Life LP, other than the title track.
Old Aug 02, 2014, 11:49 AM   #124
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Come on, Bongo! Dig that bogey beat!

Yay!!!!!!
Old Aug 09, 2014, 06:24 AM   #125
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:

After insulting it earlier tonight, I decided to listen to Press to Play again. There are some weak songs ("However Absurd" is awful) but it actually isn't that bad overall. I sort of feel like it's the last time Paul made a conscious effort to produce hits and be contemporary, and thus it feels less genuine than his later releases, particularly from Flaming Pie onward. But there's some good stuff here. "Write Away" is one of those songs that I never really feel compelled to listen to but I always think is great when I hear it. "Press" is catchy; "Talk More Talk" and "Pretty Little Head" are excellent time capsules of mid-80s production and just have an awesome sound to them; and "Only Love Remains" is another in the long line of great ballads that Paul could write in his sleep. I've always compared it to a more successful version of "Warm and Beautiful."
Maybe not one of his better LP's, but still a good number of good tracks... in addition to the ones you mentionned...

''Angry'', very good and fun to listen to rocker

''Footprints'', very lovely, sad (in the good sense) lyrics and arrangement, sortt of a ''And I love her'' mark 2

''It's not true'' (the original B side/single version, with the soft intro)

''Yvonne'' (though never officially released)

''Stranglehold'', took me some years, but I eventually warmed-up to that one !

Last edited by ABCKO : Aug 09, 2014 at 06:25 AM.
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2014, 06:30 AM   #126
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymain View Post
According to this post from 2011, the list of reissues and forthcoming new albums containing previously unreleased outakes is as follows:

http://wogew.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/...-schedule.html

Baring in mind when it was written, it makes interesting reading.
... errr... at the rate they've been releasing these so far, then plan (or planned) to put out 33 more (!), in just the next two-and-a-half years ???
Old Aug 09, 2014, 01:06 PM   #127
wallrus59
Bulldog

coming 9-23-2014

http://www.thefest.com/store/index.p...x&cPath=283_82

wallrus59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:44 AM   #128
johnnymain
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCKO View Post
... errr... at the rate they've been releasing these so far, then plan (or planned) to put out 33 more (!), in just the next two-and-a-half years ???
Yeah, the slow release rate is annoying especially if your favourite album is someway down that (unofficial) list.

www.metaltalk.net for Daily Metal News, Reviews and Opinions
johnnymain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2014, 02:44 AM   #129
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Yeah, the slow release rate is annoying especially if your favourite album is someway down that (unofficial) list.
... and these re-issues aren't that generous, bonus-track-wise...

I mean, we keep reading that Paul had this incredible non-released vs. released recordings ratio, not to mention demos, alternate versions of released songs, yet so few are included on these.

And here's a though I had when they first started these: couldn't Paul record one, just ONE, new version of one of the songs on a given re-release, each time out ?

DOCTOR: Yes, it did, didn't it. Adric, wouldn't it be nice to be right about everything ?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 06:55 AM   #130
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
And here's a though I had when they first started these: couldn't Paul record one, just ONE, new version of one of the songs on a given re-release, each time out ?
I dunno if I want to hear 72-year-old Paul tackling "Call Me Back Again." The "Baby's Request" remake on KOTB wasn't bad but the fact is, his voice was at its peak during the Wings era, and any modern studio version of those songs will fall flat in comparison.

Yay!!!!!!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 06:40 AM   #131
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
I dunno if I want to hear 72-year-old Paul tackling "Call Me Back Again." The "Baby's Request" remake on KOTB wasn't bad but the fact is, his voice was at its peak during the Wings era, and any modern studio version of those songs will fall flat in comparison.
... well... he still does a lot of those ''live'', and not to baddly at that it seems, which is probably much more ''trying'' than doing it in a studio.

Besides, he could choose the said song, per album, according to what he feels like (and is able of) doing.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 08:56 AM   #132
Uncle_Albert
Day Tripper

Paul McCartney Archive Collection

Production issues delay release of Venus and Mars and At The Speed Of Sound
New UK Release Date: 3rd November / New US Release Date: 4th November

Due to production issues the release of the latest albums in the GRAMMY Award winning Paul McCartney Archive Collection will be delayed. The classic Wings albums Venus and Mars and At The Speed Of Sound will now be released on November 3rd in the UK and November 4th in the US and not the previously announced September dates.

Since launching the Paul McCartney Archive Collection in 2010 Paul has received two GRAMMY Awards for the releases. In 2012 he picked up 'Best Historical Album' for Band on the Run and this year Wings over America picked up an award ('Best Boxed or Special Edition Package') on the same night that Paul set a personal best by picking up five awards in just one night. In 2013 RAM was nominated for 'Best Historical Album'.

In keeping with the Archive Collection tradition all aspects of this project have been over seen by Paul McCartney and the packages, including bonus and previously unreleased material, are a must have for all fans.
Uncle_Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 01:45 AM   #133
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

... note that they didn't specify November... of which year...
Old Aug 28, 2014, 05:40 AM   #134
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

I'm guessing this delay has to do w the mono vinyl collection being released.
Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2014, 02:11 AM   #135
johnnymain
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
... and these re-issues aren't that generous, bonus-track-wise...

I mean, we keep reading that Paul had this incredible non-released vs. released recordings ratio, not to mention demos, alternate versions of released songs, yet so few are included on these.

DOCTOR: Yes, it did, didn't it. Adric, wouldn't it be nice to be right about everything ?

I understand what you're saying but near the bottom of the (unofficial) list are these specific titles:

Quote:
The Studio Outtakes (NEW TITLE) 1970 / 1989 4 cds
The Studio Outtakes (NEW TITLE) 1990 / 2014 4 cds

The Rude Studio Recordings (NEW TITLE) 1970 / 1997 4 cds

The Demos (NEW TITLE) 1960 1979 4 cds
The Demos (NEW TITLE) 1980 2016 4 cds
So hopefully these 20 CDs will actually be released and make up for the lack of bonus tracks on the other reissues.

www.metaltalk.net for Daily Metal News, Reviews and Opinions

Last edited by johnnymain : Sep 04, 2014 at 02:12 AM.
johnnymain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2014, 08:15 PM   #136
Bongo
Nowhere Man

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
I'm guessing this delay has to do w the mono vinyl collection being released.
And less than a week to go for those releases!
Old Sep 06, 2014, 06:05 AM   #137
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
I understand what you're saying but near the bottom of the (unofficial) list are these specific titles:

So hopefully these 20 CDs will actually be released and make up for the lack of bonus tracks on the other reissues.
... that actually makes it worst somehow.

... buy 18, and the 19th and 20th will make it pay off.

And, as you noted, those are at the bottom of the list: i.e. among the last ones released (heck, one of them is ''1980-2016 !), if they ever are at all

Last edited by ABCKO : Sep 06, 2014 at 06:08 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2014, 09:18 AM   #138
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

That list that some dude provided with no proof whatsoever has already been proven inaccurate in a number of ways. I wouldn't put too much stock into 20 discs of rarities being the capper to the project.

And with all due respect to Linda, if Wide Prairie is up next, then they're not thinking. Besides, there's a New reissue coming out this year.

Yay!!!!!!
Old Nov 04, 2014, 07:43 PM   #139
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Could someone please post the recording dates for the previously un-released tracks on the Venus & Speed two re-releases ?

The "non deluxe" edition doesn't list them...

Last edited by ABCKO : Nov 04, 2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2014, 07:48 PM   #140
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Glad to see that the next two scheduled ones will be "Tug of war" and "Pipes of peace", if nothing else, they should include a good handful of tracks that were officially released, as B sides to some of those albums' singles

- "Ode to a koala bear"
- "Rainclouds"
- "Ebony and Ivory" (Paul's "solo"/vocal version)
- "(Give me you're number) I'll give you a ring"

I got all of those on vinyl when they originally came out (and still have them)... but I've long been hoping for their being released on CD !

May also include (the very good !) Paul/Carl Perkins song "My old friend", recorded during the TOF sessions... it's long been available of Perkin's posthumous CD, but it would be nice to have it on the TOW re-release, to go with the album and other above mentionned tracks

Last edited by ABCKO : Nov 04, 2014 at 07:51 PM.