BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Beatles For Sale

Old Apr 11, 2003, 08:09 AM   #1
lostsongs
Fool On The Hill

Default Lost Songs of Lennon & McCartney

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Lost Songs of Lennon-McCartney
Non-Beatles recordings performed by Pierson, Parker, Janovitz
"From a Window"

April 8th is the US release of From a Window: Lost Songs of Lennon & McCartney (Gallery Six Records) a compilation of songs that John Lennon & Paul McCartney wrote and gave away to others to record. The CD, which will be supported by a three-week US tour starting on May 16th features Graham Parker, Kate Pierson of the B-52's, and Buffalo Tom's Bill Janovitz. Producer Jim Sampas, the creative force behind Badlands: A Tribute to Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska came up with the idea of taking fairly unknown Lennon & McCartney songs and creating new versions--with one core band and a short list of singers. The recording sessions took place at Massachusetts' Long View Farm, an eighty-acre farm in the foothills of the Berkshire Mountains and previously home to the Rolling Stones and Aerosmith. "It was like rock & roll fantasy camp," says Janovitz. "We'd sleep in these big brass beds, roll down, have a high-cholesterol breakfast, go into the control room and do a track. Later in the day I'd find myself having a few beers and singing at the same microphone as Graham Parker. I kept saying to myself, 'I'm getting paid for this?'"

With just three main singers the CD sounds more like an "album" by one band that translates to a more accessible and entertaining experience for the listener. "At first I discounted 'Tip of My Tongue' by the fiendishly named Tommy Quickly," says Parker. "It's very silly, bad Austin Powers stuff. But on the second hearing, I think I may have subconsciously picked up on the guitarist's incongruous ska groove, and the next thing I knew, I was playing it in a slow, sensual rocksteady beat. This turned the song into something else altogether, and when the band began playing a kind of dub groove and I nailed a near perfect vocal in one take, it sounded marvelous. Poignant, aching, miles away from Quickly's version." Other songs included on the disc such as "Come and Get It," "Hello Little Girl," "One and One Is Two," and "It's for You" were originally recorded by the Fourmost, the Strangers, Cilla Black and Badfinger, a group that was also signed to the Beatles own Apple Records. "Our main objective was to find maybe what the Beatles would have done with the songs themselves -- or what the Let It Be-era Beatles would have done with them. The title track that Graham does, 'From a Window,' is just beautiful," says Janovitz. "It feels like Dylan with the Band or around one of his first versions of electric songs." Janovitz says the song he's most proud of is "World Without Love," originally recorded by Peter and Gordon as "an over the top, emotional, teenage love song." His version, he says, "feels like an Al Green track without being an homage. It's a good soulful version."

A huge Beatles fan, Kate Pierson welcomed the opportunity to be involved with the project. "I grew up listening to and loving the Beatles, when you cover any of those songs, even the ones that most people don't know, you can't help but notice how well-constructed they are, how cool the chord structures are, how they manage to be memorable without being endlessly repetitious. They're like prefect pop jewels, so fun and so singable that they almost sing themselves."

For more information on Lost Songs of Lennon & McCartney contact: Phil Hopkins @ (978)546-3685 or e-mail rphproductions@aol.com
lostsongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2010, 10:24 AM   #2
rockcottage
Fool On The Hill

I love everything McCartney's made, even rejected tracks.
I was bored on Sunday and thought I'd sing along with A Room with a View. Comments good or bad welcome!
http://www.sendspace.com/file/yulg8f
I also had a bash at Did we meet somewhere before...
rockcottage is offline   Reply With Quote