BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Feb 01, 2010, 10:44 AM   #1
62hofner

Question Did anyone watch The Grammy's last night...?

I only saw bits and pieces of The Grammy's last night. My wife was watching it so I was catching portions here and there.

Maybe I am just out of touch with "popular" music these days, but what I did see just made me that much more disinterested in what's out there. Aside from a couple interesting performances, the music was just so..... I don't know.... lack luster.

Thoughts?
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2010, 11:22 AM   #2
Reverend Rock
Wild Honey Pie

No, but from what my facebook friends are saying, I really didn't miss anything. Like you, 62hofner, I'm totally out of touch with contemporary pop music.

"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be."
Reverend Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Hari's Chick

I watched them mostly to see the tribute to Michael, Earth Song, done in 3-D and also to see his precious kids accepting the special award for their dad. Those parts were the true highlights for me.

The 3-D affects were just great. On the news (after) they spoke to these folks at a 3-D lab in LA who had had the pleasure of working with Michael. They had lovely things to say about his enthusiasm and commitment to the project. I thought it was so so cool they chose Michael's message song instead of doing a medly of hits or something. Earth Song was preformed with Michael last night, too. They had Celine Dion, Usher, Jennifer Hudson, Carrie Underwood and Smokey Robinson participating. They did a fantastic job, especially Smokey and Jennifer Hudson, imo. But also when Michael's voice rang in from above, and the singers took the background part... it was amazing how much stronger Michael's voice was in comparrison. Even among the some of the best in the world, Michael's vocals were shoulders above the rest...

When his kids came out and accepted the award, it was precious. Prince gave most of the acceptance speech and did the most wonderful job. He was poised and strong, articulate, and thoughtful. It was such a beautiful moment. Paris also spoke after Prince, and was equally precious. They could not have done better, in my opinion. They were shining stars, showing so much love for their dad. It meant the world to me when Prince said how much Michael loved his fans. In all the awards accepted since his passing, Jermaine has not said this, as I recall. When Prince said this, it made me really emotional. Blanket was backstage and looked so sweet. God bless Michael's precious kids.

As for the rest of the show.... Pink is always great to see, but I kind of felt funny from watching her spin so much! I could not help but think she must feel sick and dizzy up there! It was so nice though that she came to the show with her ex. So sweet. He even got her flowers she said. :) It's nice they can stay friends that way.

The real highlight for me, other than MJ stuff, was Leon Russell. Man! That boy can rock it still. He did such an amazing job. It would have been worth watching the whole show just for Leon!
Old Feb 01, 2010, 11:41 AM   #4
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I did just to see Ringo and the Jackson children. Other than that, I didn't pay too much attention.

I did like Elton John singing with Lady GaGa.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Hari's Chick

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
I did just to see Ringo and the Jackson children. Other than that, I didn't pay too much attention.

I did like Elton John singing with Lady GaGa.
Oh yeah! When Ringo said to Nora that she was a multiple Grammy winner, lol! And Nora got shy, haha! Ringo is so funny...

Elton and Lady Gaga were fun!
Old Feb 01, 2010, 01:39 PM   #6
62hofner

Was it just me, or was Taylor Swift's performance of "Rhiannon", with Stevie Nicks, a little shaky vocal-wise? I was listening from another room, and I detected some pitchiness on Ms. Swift's part.

I'm glad that Kings Of Leon won a couple awards. They're pretty good. So, it wasn't a total disaster of an evening!
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2010, 10:05 PM   #7
beatlelover45223

Wink

Speaking of Leons, I heard a funny today, Mario Cantone did a recap of the Grammys and said it was cool that Father Time made an appearance te he

bless ya Leon Russell!

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2010, 01:41 AM   #9
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

I only saw Prince and Paris accepting Michael's award - haven't yet watched the 3D tribute and not sure if i will just yet. I agree with HC - I think the children did a wonderful job.

I have seen a few photos from performances and read a few reviews including details that Taylor Swift was out of tune and that Pink was fantastic.

Only saw Ringo in the audience. I might youtube a few extra bits of it because i would like to see Ringo a bit more and i want to see Blanket backstage.