BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:32 PM   #1
62hofner

Default Can you put a date/time on when you became a Beatles fan?

This question is open to Beatles fans from all eras - whether you saw them on Ed Sullivan, or first heard of them when the "1" CD was released...

I, myself, can place my official "Beatles Fanhood" at the year 1973. I was 6 years old, and I began hearing the songs, "Jet" by Paul and "You're Sixteen" by Ringo on the radio. I don't know what it was about these songs, but they hit a nerve with me.

Granted, these are solo Beatles songs. But, these two songs were the seeds from which my life-long fascination with The Beatles grew.

62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:50 PM   #2
taxman
Taxman

I remember that I became a fan of Paul before even knowing the Beatles existed, because of that child song he had in the early 80's, We All Stand Together; so it was around 83 or 84.
I also remember that the two first Beatles songs I heard were All You Need Is Love and When I'm 64, and listening to the whole Sgt. Peepers album in the radio and finding Within You Without You very strange... I was just 9 or 10 at the time, what did I know?!

Last edited by taxman : Apr 27, 2007 at 12:51 PM.
taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 01:02 PM   #3
Serena

i'd say the night that really generated my interest was the night wingspan was on tv in 2001. can't remember the date....

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 01:43 PM   #4
Lady Madonna
Bulldog

It was around '91 or '92. I was going though my mom's collection of 45's and The Beatles were an instant favorite.
Lady Madonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 02:17 PM   #5
Revolution1999
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Madonna View Post
It was around '91 or '92. I was going though my mom's collection of 45's and The Beatles were an instant favorite.
I Wish I Had At Least One 45.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Jania Coyd
Dr. Robert

My friend saw A Hard Days Night on TV when I was away, and when I came back she was cursed! She had. Beatlemania! So, they grew on me too. That was 2004, I was 12... Good ol' times. I'm way more obsessed now than I was then. I mental now.

Björn
Jania Coyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 02:58 PM   #7
Miss Wendy Winters
Wild Honey Pie

For me it was in 1995, when they showed the Anthology on ABC as a 3 part special. That's when they started seeping into my blood stream and when I really became conscious of their global influence. After watching that, I decided they were the kings..no one was better!
Old Apr 27, 2007, 03:03 PM   #8
Beatlelover
Day Tripper

I believe I have known about the Beatles, was aware of them, from when I was about 4, hearing their songs on the radio and Ringo being Mr. Conductor on Shining Time Station and my father kept mentioning them. But I didn't become a true die-hard fan, as I am now until around Easter in 2002. But a few years before then, I've constantly heard them in numerous places. What I really think sparked my interested was in 9th grade when my English teacher put the lyrics to Imagine on the overhead and the class had a discussion about John and the Beatles. Then I heard the 1 CD and the rest is history.
Beatlelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 03:22 PM   #9
instant karla
Sgt. Pepper

i was in sixth grade (1969) when i read the beatles authorized biography by hunter davies. i'd heard the music on the radio, and had parents who'd even bought a couple of albums for us (revolver and sgt. pepper), but somehow reading this book set off a spark that hasn't sputtered out in nearly --- yeesh! --- 40 years. talk about an eternal flame.
instant karla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 05:10 PM   #10
digdad
Sun King

I'd say the seeds were planted when I was a youngster in the early to mid 1970s when I used to play a warped copy to record 1 of the White Album that I got from my aunt and when my favorite song on the radio was "Got To Get You Into My Life" (but I didn't know that was by the Beatles at the time).

But I was first really hooked when my brother and I chipped in together to buy our first Beatles album (Magical Mystery Tour) in January 1981.

digdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 05:22 PM   #11
Beatle Corinne
Wild Honey Pie

It was Sunday, February 9th 1964, on the Ed Sullivan show. Even though my father was watching and declared "They look like like girls", I was immediately smitten!

My Beatle Covers

My Homepage

My Poetry
Beatle Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 05:28 PM   #12
jesgear
Sun King

Although my earliest memory is of hearing "Hello Goodbye" on the radio when I was three-years-old ('68) and I was also a fan of the versions of Beatles songs featured in the Sgt. Pepper's movie ('78), it wasn't until I finally got copies of the original versions of the songs in about '91 that I would say my fandom began. But it was the Anthology releases and TV special that solidified my obsession and there's been no looking back since.

jesgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 07:23 PM   #13
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle Corinne View Post
It was Sunday, February 9th 1964, on the Ed Sullivan show. Even though my father was watching and declared "They look like like girls", I was immediately smitten!
Ahhhh... you were there from the beginning! (for America)

It's very cool to be reading replies coming from so many younger fans who have gotten into them in recent years. That's part of why I visit Beatlelinks - it restores my faith in humanity!
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 07:33 PM   #14
beatles_gal
Rocky Raccoon

i discovered the beatles (or they discovered me...who knows? ) in february of 2004, the 40th anniversary of their coming to the usa. i was 14 years old and in the ninth grade. there was a lot of stuff on the radio and in the news commemorating the anniversary, and my dad bought the "one" cd. i listened to it for several weeks straight and i haven't looked back!
I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?
--John Lennon
beatles_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:03 PM   #15
FPSHOT
Sun King

I was a young guy and had my first single record which was by the Rolling Stones (Little Red Rooster/Off The Hook) and from my pocket money I wanted to buy a new one and the man from the record store played a new single which was "She Loves You" by a band I did not know by then. This will have been August/September 1963. I was 6 then so it will not have been for the lyrics, but then, I still hardly listen to those...it was the sound.

I took it and got hooked.

Many years later I was talking to the record store owner on a tennis court and he even remembered I asked him about 6 times to play the single again before I left the store. I bought probably most of my Beatles collection there, which was 2 minutes bike from my home. Even All Things Must Pass.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Apr 27, 2007 at 10:08 PM.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:18 PM   #16
TheRubiksCube
Day Tripper

Send a message via AIM to TheRubiksCube Send a message via MSN to TheRubiksCube Send a message via Yahoo to TheRubiksCube

To be honest, I only started to get REALLY, REALLY into them last year when I was fourteen.
I am the eggman, they are the eggmen
I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob
TheRubiksCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:06 AM   #17
Sammy
Fool On The Hill

Send a message via ICQ to Sammy

As far as I can remember it was in early '98 when I was 6 years old.
My father took his old 45 collection out of our celler and listened to a them and there was one LP, which changed my life:
The Beatles 1962-1966 (Red Album)

From that point on, the Beatles were and still are my favourite band.
Soon after I listened to the 1967-1970 (Blue Album) which didn't impress me as much as the first one, but still was very good.

Christmas '98: I got the "One" Album on CD and the rest is history
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:40 AM   #18
sadie
Sun King

December 1975.
sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 05:43 AM   #19
GirlWithKaleidoscopeEyes
Rocky Raccoon

I'd heard the Beatles before, but I'd have to say that I first became a fan around September of so of 2006, at the beginning of my sophomore year in high school, when I bought my first Beatles CD, Magical Mystery Tour, which is probably still my favourite album.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 06:06 AM   #20
Miss Emily
Fool On The Hill

April 24, 1985 at 11:26pm.

Or the date and time I was born. :p

Seriously, I can't remember a time where I wasn't a fan. The CD collecting and the what not didn't start until I was 12, but my memories from when I was really little consist mainly of my dad playing his records on his day off and countless viewings of Yellow Submarine.
Miss Emily is offline   Reply With Quote