BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:18 AM   #1
Beatle_4
Banned

Default Captain Kangaroo

I just heard on the news that Bob Keeshan aka Captain Kangaroo had died. I haven't found a news link about it yet but will post the story as soon as I do unless somebody beats me to it.
Beatle_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:21 AM   #2
beatlelover45223

Default Re: Captain Kangaroo

Oh I am so sad to read this, I grew up with the Captain, rest in peace sweet Man. you did a lot of good for a lot of young ones.
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:23 AM   #3
jtal909
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By beatlelover45223:
Oh I am so sad to read this, I grew up with the Captain, rest in peace sweet Man. you did a lot of good for a lot of young ones.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">including me. rest in peace.
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:33 AM   #4
Magill
Sun King

Awwww... [img]graemlins/sad1.gif[/img] RIP, Bob. You brought joy into many young people's lives, including mine.

[size="1"][ Jan 23, 2004, 10:34 AM: Message Edited By: Magill ][/size]
Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:44 AM   #5
angelgodiva
Bulldog

Sorry this took so long but I had to copy it from the newspaper. I started watching the Captain when I was two, in his first year, and I still remember his old theme song. My kids watched the revamped show in the late 70s-early 80s, too.

Bob Keeshan, Captain Kangaroo, Dies at 76

By CHRISTOPHER GRAFF, Associated Press Writer

QUECHEE, Vt. - Bob Keeshan, who gently entertained and educated generations of children as television's walrus-mustachioed Captain Kangaroo, died Friday at 76.

Keeshan died of a long illness, his family said in a statement.

Keeshan's "Captain Kangaroo" premiered on CBS in 1955 and ran for 30 years before moving to public television for six more. It was wildly popular among children and won six Emmy Awards, three Gabriels and three Peabody Awards.

The format was simple: Each day, Captain Kangaroo, with his sugar-bowl haircut and uniform coat, would wander through his Treasure House, chatting with his good friend Mr. Green Jeans, played by Hugh "Lumpy" Brannum.

He would visit with puppet animals, like Bunny Rabbit, who was scolded for eating too many carrots, and Mr. Moose, who loved to tell knock-knock jokes.

But the show revolved about the grandfatherly Captain Kangaroo, whose name was inspired by the kangaroo pouch-like pockets of the coat Keeshan wore.

"I was impressed with the potential positive relationship between grandparents and grandchildren, so I chose an elderly character," Keeshan said.

Keeshan, born in Lynbrook, N.Y., became a page at NBC while he was in high school. He joined the Marine Corps in 1945.

His first television appearance came in 1948, when he played the voiceless, horn-honking Clarabell the Clown on the "Howdy Doody Show," a role he created and played for five years.

Later he played Corny the clown, the host of a noontime cartoon program in New York City.

"Captain Kangaroo" debuted on Oct. 3, 1955, and Keeshan remained in that role until 1993.

Keeshan, who moved to Vermont in 1990, remained active as a children's advocate, writing books, lecturing and lobbying on behalf of children's issues.

He was critical of today's TV programs for children, saying they were too full of violence. And he spoke wherever he went about the importance of good parenting.

"Parents are the ultimate role models for children," he said. "Every word, movement and action has an effect. No other person or outside force has a greater influence on a child than the parent."

When Fred Rogers, the gentle host of "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood," died last year, Keeshan recalled how they often spoke about the state of children's programming.

"I don't think it's any secret that Fred and I were not very happy with the way children's television had gone," Keeshan said.

In 1987, Keeshan and former Tennessee Gov. Lamar Alexander (news - web sites) co-founded Corporate Family Solutions, an organization that provided day-care programs to businesses around the country.

Keeshan believed children learn more in the first six years of life than at any other time and was a strong advocate of day care that provides emotional, physical and intellectual development for children.

"Play is the work of children. It's very serious stuff. And if it's properly structured in a developmental program, children can blossom," he said.

Keeshan's wife, Jeanne, died in 1990. He had three children.

_
angelgodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 04:24 PM   #6
Lynner

I grew up watching Captain Kangeroo as well. And Ray Rayner, too. How very sad.
And, I just read that Ann Miller has passed away. This is a sad week for me. They were all faves of mine. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 04:35 PM   #7
kjrocks_1
Day Tripper

Same here Lynner, but I didn't hear about Ann Miller...wow.

R.I.P.
kjrocks_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 07:12 PM   #8
Mccartneyluvr
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to Mccartneyluvr Send a message via Yahoo to Mccartneyluvr

I can't believe he died, it seemed like just yesterday I was a little girl watching him talk to Mr. Greenjeans. [img]graemlins/cry2.gif[/img]

I also remember how sad I was when Mr. Rogers died a while back, when I was little I always thought he was talking to me.

They were two great men who did so much for children everywhere, they will be greatly missed.
Mccartneyluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 07:51 PM   #9
Hari's Chick

Awwww....yeah, I watched him every day. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 12:37 AM   #10
ChrisG134
Sun King

That is sad to hear.Cause yesterday Ray Rainer died.He was very big here in Chicago back when I was a kid.I don't if too many people have heard of him.
ChrisG134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 02:12 AM   #11
bearkat77
Administrator

I remember watching his show when I was young. He was one of the best. R.I.P. Bob
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote