BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Jan 03, 2002, 02:39 AM   #1
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

Default Clapton \'marries in secret\'

Link Here

Thursday, 3 January, 2002, 08:37 GMT
Clapton 'marries in secret'

Rock legend Eric Clapton has secretly married the mother of his baby daughter, according to a newspaper report.
The 56-year-old guitarist married American Melia McEnery, 25, in Surrey on New Year's Day, The Sun reported on Thursday.

Clapton's management company have refused to comment on the story.

According to the reports, guests attending the low-key church ceremony were told they were there for the christening of the couple's six-month-old daughter, Julie Rose and his daughter by an earlier relationship, Ruth, 16.

But immediately after the baptism, Clapton and Ms McEnery were said to have exchanged marriage vows.

'Private'

The ceremony took place at St Mary Magdelen church at Ripley in Surrey, where Clapton's son, Conor, who died aged four, is buried.

Conor Clapton died after falling from a window in a skyscraper apartment in New York in 1991, moving Clapton to write the song Tears in Heaven.

Clapton met Ms McEnery, a graphic artist, on a trip to Los Angeles.

The Sun reported that the wedding was attended by rock musician Andy Fairweather-Low, whose wife Barbara was reported as saying: "Only close friends and family were invited as Eric wanted to keep it private.

'Surprise'

"We went there thinking it was just a christening for the girls.

"Everyone cheered when Eric stepped forward - it was lovely, a total surprise."

Clapton was married for nine years to Pattie Boyd, previously the wife of former Beatle George Harrison, who died last November. Clapton and Boyd divorced in 1988.

------------------
"Because there wasn't any reason left to keep it all inside"
- Paul McCartney 1982
Amalthea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2002, 02:56 AM   #2
FPSHOT
Sun King

Default Re: Clapton \'marries in secret\'

Good old Clapper, congratulations.

------------------
Happy 2002.
Enjoy, take care, scan not a friend with a microscopic glass and 'Love one another'
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2002, 04:48 AM   #3
mindgames
Sgt. Pepper

56 and 25? I'll bet Forty won't be as quick to condemn this marriage as she is of Paul's.

------------------
This week, the Beatles' greatest hits album, 1, is at number sixty-three on the US charts.
mindgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2002, 06:15 AM   #4
Sally
Sgt. Pepper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By mindgames:
56 and 25? I'll bet Forty won't be as quick to condemn this marriage as she is of Paul's.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who's Forty? Good for them, age has no bearing at all on love, I would have married George had he asked me (In my dreams of course) and there is a 24 year age gap there I'm 82........................Joke, I'm 34.

------------------
Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2002, 09:38 AM   #5
C-Moon
Wild Honey Pie

Good one, Sally - had me there for a fraction of a nanosecond!

Yeah, now that Eric's married a 25 yr old, makes the 26 yr difference between Paul & Heather seem perfectly fine. Sure.

If I had his ear & he was willing to listen to me, I'd advise him not to marry anyone younger than his daughter Heather. Of course, I'm older than she is. If I were younger I might have a completely different perspective (ha ha)

------------------
Have you heard the word is Love? It's so fine, it's sunshine. It's the word LOVE."
C-Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2002, 03:21 PM   #6
ChrisG134
Sun King

She's gonna be changing his diapers in a couple of years.

------------------
ChrisG134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2002, 03:35 PM   #7
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By ChrisG134:
She's gonna be changing his diapers in a couple of years.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
- Paul McCartney 1982
Old Jan 03, 2002, 05:28 PM   #8
MaccaTwst9
Mr. Moonlight

Send a message via AIM to MaccaTwst9 Send a message via Yahoo to MaccaTwst9

well...the way that I look at it, is if they are happy first, age shouldn't matter if you love someone and isn't going after one's checkbook or Visa &lt;looks at Heather Mills&gt; *ahem* (I really doubt she is..thou..but sometimes it makes me wonder, )

but seriously age shouldn't be an issue if you are in love, I congradulate Eric and his..wife may they have a blessed marriage and many many happy years, lord knows he needs it

------------------
~*Liz*~

**In Memory of George Harrison Feb 1943- Nov 2001** Visit my page!!
LittleWillow
MaccaTwst9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2002, 06:42 PM   #9
ChrisG134
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By MaccaTwst9:
well...the way that I look at it, is if they are happy first, age shouldn't matter if you love someone and isn't going after one's checkbook or Visa &lt;looks at Heather Mills&gt; *ahem* (I really doubt she is..thou..but sometimes it makes me wonder, )

but seriously age shouldn't be an issue if you are in love, I congradulate Eric and his..wife may they have a blessed marriage and many many happy years, lord knows he needs it
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who are you kidding, the woman wants a father figure and now she has it.He's 31 yrs. older than her how much in common could they really have?My grandfather was 17 yrs. older than my grandmother,at a certain age he had a tough time keeping up with her.
Besides the fact would anybody think differently if it was the woman that was 31 yrs. older than the man?I bet they would.

------------------
Old Jan 03, 2002, 06:47 PM   #10
ChrisG134
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By ChrisG134:
Who are you kidding, the woman wants a father figure and now she has it.He's 31 yrs. older than her how much in common could they really have?My grandfather was 17 yrs. older than my grandmother,at a certain age he had a tough time keeping up with her.
Besides the fact would anybody think differently if it was the woman that was 31 yrs. older than the man?I bet they would.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Also I hate to break the news to you, but Heather looks ALOT like Linda.

------------------
Old Jan 03, 2002, 07:49 PM   #11
jtal909
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Amalthea:

Rock legend Eric Clapton has secretly married the mother of his baby daughter, according to a newspaper report.
The 56-year-old guitarist married American Melia McEnery, 25, in Surrey on New Year's Day, The Sun reported on Thursday.
[/b]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you think that she knew he played the guitar and was a recording artist?

------------------
"Why don't you say it in your famous James Mason impersonation?"
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2002, 10:27 PM   #12
JCB410
Mr. Moonlight

[/b][/quote] Well, now I don't feel so bad
about the possibility of dating gals who
are in their 20's and over--(though
I'm in my early 40's..)

But at the same time, I'm a bit envious of
Mr. Clapton-- not only for the fab guitar
style/playing all these years, but before
this person, didn't he date Sheryl Crow?--
she's a bit the looker too! "Lucky lad"!!!
"Arrghh"!!

------------------
//*//--"you may say I'm
a dreamer, but
I'm not the only
one"--
JCB410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2002, 12:01 AM   #13
Lucy in the diamond sky
Wild Honey Pie

[b] [quote]Originally Posted By ChrisG134:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you and besides can you imagine how their relationship will be after 15 or 20 years.She will be like his granddaughter!
I don't believe that love doesn't look at the ages because if a pair has a generation gap between them it is very difficult to communicate and so it leads to other problems.
I wouldn't marry a man who would be after 5 years older than me.But at least it is just my opinion

------------------
With every mistake we must surely be learning

Sophie
Lucy in the diamond sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2002, 12:44 AM   #14
Sally
Sgt. Pepper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By C-Moon:
Good one, Sally - had me there for a fraction of a nanosecond!

Yeah, now that Eric's married a 25 yr old, makes the 26 yr difference between Paul & Heather seem perfectly fine. Sure.

If I had his ear & he was willing to listen to me, I'd advise him not to marry anyone younger than his daughter Heather. Of course, I'm older than she is. If I were younger I might have a completely different perspective (ha ha)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for giving me the first smile today!

------------------
Old Jan 04, 2002, 04:18 AM   #15
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By jtal909:
Do you think that she knew he played the guitar and was a recording artist?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's open a thread, Clapton says fiancee is no Clapton's fan

------------------
- Paul McCartney 1982
Old Jan 04, 2002, 04:59 AM   #16
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Lucy in the diamond sky:
I wouldn't marry a man who would be after 5 years older than me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I kind of agree with you - I think age DOES matter a little bit. You just don't have the same cultural references as somebody who's 20, 30, 40 years older or younger than you. I think AT FIRST, age doesn't matter when you're in love because other things are more important - getting to know each other, that first rush of lust, etc. - but after that's over, I'd think the differences would be tough to deal with. I think I'd prefer to stick with somebody within 10 years of my age.

That said, it DOES seem to work for some people and who am I to judge? And I don't think I'd turn down a great guy just because he was 11 years older than me or something!

Congratulations to Eric Clapton and his wife. I hope they're two of the people it DOES work for.

------------------
If I had some more time to spend, then I guess I'd be with you, my friend....
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2002, 07:13 AM   #17
C-Moon
Wild Honey Pie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Amalthea:

Let's open a thread, Clapton says fiancee is no Clapton's fan

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet Melia can identify Eric's songs!!
(unlike someone else's girlfriend ...)

------------------
Have you heard the word is Love? It's so fine, it's sunshine. It's the word LOVE."
Old Jan 04, 2002, 01:53 PM   #18
Sally
Sgt. Pepper

She's gonna be changing his diapers in a couple of years.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And spoon feeding him.

Seriously though who are we to say, just hope it works out.

How many of you young female fans would take up an offer made to you by your favourite Beatle while they were in their 50's, ie recently, this is for fun so you can include John too (think we can imagine pretty much what he would look like).

------------------
Old Jan 04, 2002, 06:10 PM   #19
C-Moon
Wild Honey Pie

do I still qualify as "young"? I'm 41

I fluctuate between 1. I'd marry him in a heartbeat and 2. I'd want to live together to see if it works out. Depends on how optimistic I'm feeling.

------------------
Old Jan 04, 2002, 06:56 PM   #20
Lynner

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By C-Moon:
I bet Melia can identify Eric's songs!!
(unlike someone else's girlfriend ...)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>But we don't know that for sure, do we???
Seriously, tho' I find it almost funny how people are so happy about this union, but not Paul's. We no nothing about Eric's wife - how do we know she's not a gold digger??? I'm not trying to put a damper on anyone's thoughts for Eric's marriage. I certainly wish him and his wife much happiness. All I'm trying to point out is that there's a big difference in age between Eric and his wife and Paul and Heather. If we can wish the Clapton's much happiness, why can't we do the same to the future McCartney's?

------------------
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote