BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:47 AM   #21
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gos Coix View Post
It should have been "lonely blue dreams", to make it more Roy-ish!
I'm so tired of being lonely
I still have these saddening dreams
please take off my Californian blue

nah sorry George

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 06:32 AM   #22
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
I'm so tired of being lonely
I still have these saddening dreams
please take off my Californian blue

nah sorry George

Maybe George should forgive you (or not), but Roy would be so proud of such a disciple!
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:31 AM   #23
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

LOL. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers do this song at concerts. I think Scott Thurston sings Roy's parts. Yeah, pretty sure. Although when Jeff Lynne shows up, he sings Roy's parts.

With Jeff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viSTbCEI_9c

Without:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je5mQ3rEclg
(sorry, embedding is disabled!)

Last edited by The New AimeeAndBeatles : Jan 28, 2008 at 07:32 AM. Reason: youtube embed didnt work
The New AimeeAndBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:57 AM   #24
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New AimeeAndBeatles View Post
when Jeff Lynne shows up, he sings Roy's parts.
then who does Jeff's parts in the "to lean on" harmony vocals?

Old Jan 28, 2008, 09:23 AM   #25
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

I'm not sure, but I think it's Scott Thurston. He sings most of the harmony nowadays.

Okay, here's the harmony singers.

1976-1982: Stan, sometimes Benmont
1982-1993: Howie, Stan, sometimes Benmont
1993-2002: Howie, Scott, not sure about Benmont
2002-now: Scott, not sure about Benmont.

I'll need to watch more videos to be sure. Benmont mainly does the 'call-and-response.' On Hard Promises, they have him as 'vocals.' on "The Waiting." thats call-and-response. I'm probably boring everyone now.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:06 AM   #26
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Okay, here's the harmony singers.

1976-1982: Stan, sometimes Benmont
1982-1993: Howie, Stan, sometimes Benmont
1993-2002: Howie, Scott, not sure about Benmont
2002-now: Scott, not sure about Benmont.
for a 1998 song that is quite an achievement

Sorry...just my mood...just forget it :)

Tom and his band have done awesome Live performances of the song btw...with or without Jeff..

Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:21 PM   #27
62hofner

Quote:
In the video, Roy played harmonica. But Wikipedia says it was Bob, and it's not mentioned on the original LP credits.

But then again, videos aren't always the most accurate. 'Cos in She's My Baby, some outside musciain (I forgot his name) played lead guitar, but in the video George is.
Right... Gary Moore played the lead in that song.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:38 PM   #28
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
I hadn't noticed that detail about the title... But as to that verse, I agree that it's 100% George. It's the kind of thing he seemed to believe about those Beatlemania years.

I've always wondered whether the lines sung by Roy were written by him or by George (with him in mind, obviously). Is it known?
I saw a remark somewhere where someone said the "stuck in airports, terrorized" was about Manilla, but I seem to remember they were not at that airport so long?

"sent to meetings, hypnotized, overexposed, commercialized" could be about Beatlemania but also maybe the Somewhere In England stuff about the rejected songs...even though nobody "sent him" LOL...

Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:13 PM   #29
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Thanks for those versions of "Handle With Care". I prefer that with Jeff Lynne. Well, I suppose that for a change of timbre he's not bad, but I think I won't be able to hear that song sung by anyone and not get kind of disappointed when Roy should enter. Well, I'm always kind of disappointed from the beginning; no matter all that criticism about George's voice, I've always liked it, and this song's a prime example of what I like in it. I could listen to the way he sings and pronounces "overexposed, commercialized" for ages!

Quote:
I saw a remark somewhere where someone said the "stuck in airports, terrorized" was about Manilla, but I seem to remember they were not at that airport so long?
Maybe it seemed longer than it was from having to haul all that luggage, which they weren't used to! Or perhaps the line is a mix of different airports, because I don't think the Beatles were terrorized too often at airports... And I don't think George's talking about his fright of flying, eithrt (I've read somewhere that he was afraid each time he got into a plane, although I suppose that by the end of Beatlemania he would have grown accustomed to it. Do you know whether it's true?)

Quote:
"sent to meetings, hypnotized, overexposed, commercialized" could be about Beatlemania but also maybe the Somewhere In England stuff about the rejected songs...even though nobody "sent him" LOL...
It might be so! I hadn't thought it could refer to that period, but it's plausible enough. I've always thought that he was "commercialized" not because he was forced to write more commercial songs and all that (after all, he knew it wasn't a good idea from the time of Sheridan's "Not too commercial, boys, not too commercial"), but because in the early sixties his face must have appeared even in knickers!
Old Jan 29, 2008, 09:11 AM   #30
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

The line "I've been fobbed off..." I used to think it was "I've been f**ked up..." It's the accent, I tell you.

Tom Petty says that he had the line "Oh, the sweet smell of success." I'll go grab Conversations with Tom Petty and post again in a few minutes.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 09:24 AM   #31
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

Okay. This is a long section, so I'll cut out some stuff.

Quote:
And the night before, [George] had written the chord pattern, pretty much to, to "Handle with Care."
And then [George] said 'It'd be great if we had a part for Roy to sing in the tune.' He didn't want to waste Roy Orbison. So I remember Jeff and George sitting on the grass outside Bob's house and they wrote that middle bit. [Sings] "I'm so tired of being lonely..." They wrote the melody and the chords to that. No lyrics to any of it.
So we started from that. And George said to Bob and I, 'You two think of a bit.'
And so we came up with "Everybody needs somebody to lean on..." And we cut the track.
And then George looked and saw a road case there, in Bob's garage, that said 'Handle with Care.'
George went "That's good. It'll be 'Handle with Care.' So then we took a break and had some food. And while we were having dinner, we wrote the lyrics. Between all of us. It was the Wilbury way to say a line. And if everyone agreed, it was "Yay" and if they didn't it was "Nay."
I think [Roy] wrote the lyric [to the part he sings].
I think I had "day care centres and night schools." But I know I had "ah, the sweet smell of success." That pleased George quite a bit. It was like that. It's hard to remember who wrote exactly what. It was mostly George's song.

Last edited by The New AimeeAndBeatles : Jan 29, 2008 at 09:24 AM.
The New AimeeAndBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:16 PM   #32
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
The line "I've been fobbed off..." I used to think it was "I've been f**ked up..." It's the accent, I tell you.
Not only you. A long time ago I looked up these lyrics in the internet, and I found that "f*****" everywhere, although I was almost sure that he didn't say that. But since everyone said that was the word, I assumed it was. Not until I saw the TW Collecion DVD did I know for sure George was saying something else, which is clear if you look at his mouth. The next day I looked it up again and finally found that "fobbed" (word which I had never heard before).

Thank you very much for that text you've copied. It's interesting to know how they worked and which things they remember having been done by someone. It's good to know who's behind that "sweet smell of success" line. I've always liked it a lot.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:38 PM   #33
FPSHOT
Sun King

I always find George having something special with s words.. words that start with an s..

you probably think I am nuts...but it just sounds 'different' but very good

Petty and his funny accent always cheers me up.. the JR Ewing accent...

Last edited by FPSHOT : Jan 29, 2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 06:45 AM   #34
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
I always find George having something special with s words.. words that start with an s..

you probably think I am nuts...but it just sounds 'different' but very good
Yes you're nuts. But you're not the only one over here. I remember that we talked about how we loved the way George said certain words in a thread about "Do You Want to Know A Secret". I think it was kmac who said that the way he says "tell" is great... And I agree! I haven't noticed anything about his s's, though. I'll pay more attention to that. In the song we're talking about ("Handle With Care") I think that my favourite words are all those -able words in the second verse and, above all, "overexposed, commercialized". I need a Henry Higgings that teaches me to speak like that!
Old Jan 31, 2008, 02:20 AM   #35
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

I have a weird sort of accent. Because sometimes a sentence can come out sounding normal, then it comes out sounding British, then it comes out sounding Southern, and you get the idea? And it's not something I do on purpose.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 04:01 PM   #36
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

I scared everyone away again. Figures.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:54 PM   #37
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

I'd be tempted to think that the "professional" harmonica they had (Dylan), was the one who played that.

"Sounds" like him too...
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:15 PM   #38
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Yes you're nuts. But you're not the only one over here.
thanks and yes I agree LOL

Nuts are seeds that are covered with a hard shell. Most are the seeds of trees, but the seeds of a few other plants that are not strictly nuts will also be considered here as they can be conveniently classified with nuts for culinary purposes.
Nuts can be used in many ways. Whole, flaked and ground nuts and nut butters are widely available.

Now I feel better :)

Quote:
I remember that we talked about how we loved the way George said certain words in a thread about "Do You Want to Know A Secret". I think it was kmac who said that the way he says "tell" is great... And I agree! I
I know what you mean. Ever since I heard that 'tell' thing back in 1854 from George I found that so superior LOL... I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that word that way

Last edited by FPSHOT : Feb 11, 2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:14 AM   #39
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
I know what you mean. Ever since I heard that 'tell' thing back in 1854 from George I found that so superior LOL... I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that word that way
I heard it back in 1822 (baa!), and from them on I've been the laughing stock of all and sundry when I say that George's is my idea of perfect English. Who cares about stuck-up RP? Clearly, a lot of people think like that. Why else would he have been required to say "bracket"?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 03:56 AM   #40
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

I love the way the band is like....in..... a tight circle! (And you also gotta love Petty's hats!)