BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:28 PM   #1
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Default Clapton Wedding Jam

I've read the accounts of this happening but never heard any of the actual principals discuss it. Denny Laine evidently was part of the jam but I haven't found anything but a brief comment from him that it happened. This was a wedding of one of the biggest rock stars on the planet, attended by THE biggest rock stars on the planet and not one photo was snapped? I've heard set lists that included Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, and a few rock standards. Did Paul, George and Ringo actually get up and jam at Clapton's wedding?
Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2011, 11:39 PM   #2
SnapDepp
Banned

you read this one

For Eric Clapton and Pattie Boyd’s wedding reception, they placed a stage in the middle of their garden for music. The stage was suppose to be for a little reunion concert of the Beatles. However, either John Lennon got sick in the US a couple days earlier, or he never got invited due to personal reasons, but he didn’t go to the nuptials, so Harrison, McCartney and Starr took the stage. They were later joined by Clapton with a reformed Cream, Mick Jagger and legend has it that the likes of Elton John and David Bowie also joined in on the jamming. The set list is unknown, but rumored songs have included “Sgt. Peppers”, “Magical Mystery Tour”, Little Richard and Eddie Cochran songs.

FLASHBACK: PAUL McCARTNEY, GEORGE HARRISON, AND RINGO STARR JAM AT ERIC CLAPTON'S WEDDING RECEPTION

It was 29 years ago today (May 19th, 1979) that a select group of party-goers witnessed the closest thing to a live Beatles reunion when Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr reunited to jam at Eric Clapton's wedding reception at his English estate.

Clapton had married Harrison's ex-wife Pattie Boyd, and set up an outdoor stage for a mammoth jam session which featured the three ex-Beatles, a reformed Cream, the Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger and Bill Wyman, Elton John, David Bowie, and many more. John Lennon was living in the U.S. at the time, and was not present.

Although the three former "Fabs" also took part in a makeshift sing-a-long jam at Starr's wedding in 1981, the Clapton wedding reception marks the only time that the former Beatles made music onstage in a somewhat professional manner. Among the many songs reported to have been performed that day were the Beatles' 1967 classic "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band."

Wings co-founder Denny Laine also participated at the jam session at Clapton's wedding reception and says that it didn't feel as historic an event as it has been made out: "I never think like that,'Hey I'm jamming with (laughs) some of the Beatles.' I never think like that. You know, these were all people I knew. Like Eric, I'd known when he was in the Yardbirds."
Both Clapton and Boyd published their memoirs last year and spoke about their decade long marriage. Boyd says that upon looking at her marriage to Clapton 20 years after their split, she ultimately regrets leaving Harrison for him: "I don't want to totally blame Eric, but I think his behavior was wrong -- was morally wrong to entice me to leave George, because I was married to George and I really shouldn't have done that. But also, I was wrong as well to allow myself to be flattered (by Eric) to that extent. So, you know we both were wrong morally on that moral issue."
Eric Clapton and Pattie Boyd divorced in 1988. She stayed in close contact with Harrison until his death in 2001, but has no ongoing relationship with Clapton.
SnapDepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2011, 11:41 PM   #3
FPSHOT
Sun King

Clapton had married Harrison's ex-wife Pattie Boyd and had a party at their Hurtwood Edge home in Surrey with 200 guests.

Eric set up an outdoor stage for a mammoth jam session which featured the three ex-Beatles, a reformed Cream, the Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger and Bill Wyman, Elton John, David Bowie, Lonnie Donegan and many more.

John Lennon was living in the U.S. at the time, and Pattie later explained

"I did feel remorseful afterwards that I hadn't invited John to our wedding party. "But I knew he wouldn't come. He was living in America at the time and the authorities were threatening not to allow him back in if he left the country."

The Clapton wedding reception marks the only time that the former Beatles made music onstage in a somewhat professional manner. Among the many songs reported to have been performed that day were the Beatles' 1967 classic "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band."

Denny Laine also participated at the jam session at Clapton's wedding reception and says that it didn't feel as historic an event as it has been made out: "I never think like that,'Hey I'm jamming with (laughs) some of the Beatles.' I never think like that. You know, these were all people I knew. Like Eric, I'd known when he was in The Yardbirds"

I have seen one picture of George, Paul, Ringo and Lonnie Donegan

http://www.norwegianwood.org/beatles...hreetles1.html

Some sources say pictures were taken but were kept private.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2011, 11:42 PM   #4
SnapDepp
Banned

Saturday May 19

At his Hurtwood Edge home in Surrey, Eric Clapton throws a party for 200 guests to celebrate his marriage to George's first wife, the former Patti Boyd. (The couple married in Tucson, Arizona, on March 27.) At the end of the evening, Paul, George and Ringo, as well as the other celebrities present, including Mick Jagger, Denny Laine, Ginger Baker and Lonnie Donegan, join Eric for an impromptu concert on a stage set up in a large marquee tent in his grounds. They run through various old rock'n'roll hits and even some Beatles' covers. Friends and family take souvenir pictures of the event, although none have appeared in print.
SnapDepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2011, 11:43 PM   #5
FPSHOT
Sun King

I see we both had the same resources

Old Jun 07, 2011, 11:56 PM   #6
FPSHOT
Sun King

The party invitation read, Me and the Mrs got married the other day but that
was in America so weve decided to have a bash in my garden on Saturday, May 19 about 3pm for all our mates here at home. If you are free, try and make it, its bound to be a laugh.

Old Jun 07, 2011, 11:59 PM   #7
hibgal
Sun King

Default In the car

I believe this is one of the official wedding photos of Eric and Pattie

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:03 AM   #8
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapDepp View Post

The magic of photography - It looks like George is much taller than the rest. He also has the longest wavy hair compared to the others which he has from Louise Sr. and oh Harold Sr. was his dad of course.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Jun 08, 2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:14 AM   #9
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Those are great shots. To my knowledge, there are only two photos of Lennon and McCartney together after the breakup. One is a Linda Poloroid and the other is a May Pang shot. Does anyone have any knowledge?
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:21 AM   #10
FPSHOT
Sun King

I believe the May Pang one is here?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ationship.html

Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:27 AM   #11
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

On this subject, has George ever commented or reviewed, Layla and Other Love songs? The dude stole his wife. And he was at their wedding? Did George never have an eating feeling that he was being gotten over on?
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:28 AM   #12
hibgal
Sun King

Default This takes the cake

Some cake

Whole cake here, sorry can't be embedded

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:41 AM   #13
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
On this subject, has George ever commented or reviewed, Layla and Other Love songs? The dude stole his wife. And he was at their wedding? Did George never have an eating feeling that he was being gotten over on?
No George has said many times that he had no bad feelings about it and that it did not change his friendship with Eric Clapton. When Eric told George about his feelings for Pattie whilst being at a part at Eric's manager in 1974, George - according to books - reacted rather nonchallant and said something like "Oh ok, well do what you wanna do". George said "well I suppose I'd better divorce her" and Eric responded "well that means I've got to marry her".

Last edited by FPSHOT : Jun 08, 2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:48 AM   #14
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
No George has said many times that he had no bad feelings about it and that it did not change his friendship with Eric Clapton. When Eric told George about his feelings for Pattie whilst being at a part at Eric's manager in 1974, George - according to books - reacted rather nonchallant and said something like "Oh ok, well do what you wanna do".
Well, as has been said by great philosophers... No matter how hot she looks, somewhere, someone is tired of her shit.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:00 AM   #15
newspapertaxis82
Little Child

Quote:
Those are great shots. To my knowledge, there are only two photos of Lennon and McCartney together after the breakup. One is a Linda Poloroid and the other is a May Pang shot. Does anyone have any knowledge?
I've seen 3, all from the same day (the infamous "A Toot and a Snore" session in 74). I thought May had taken them all. Maybe one of those is Linda's polaroid.

With Keith Moon

With Harry Nilsson

The classic one

And the first two photos of them

The Quarry Men (1957) - New Clubmoor Hall - Liverpool

The Quarry Men (Mid 1958)
Wedding reception at Paul's Auntie Jin's Home

Last edited by newspapertaxis82 : Jun 08, 2011 at 01:02 AM.
newspapertaxis82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:14 AM   #16
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Well, as has been said by great philosophers... No matter how hot she looks, somewhere, someone is tired of her shit.
I'm not sure she had any 'shit'. There were a few things which did not go well at the time early 70's.

Pattie felt very lonely since George isolated himself a lot at Friar Park for meditations and spiritual education.

Pattie wanted to start a family but could not have kids and George didn't like the idea of adoption.

Pattie and George both had affairs like the partner-swap holiday with Ronnie Wood and his mrs. to name one where during the day George and Ronnie would play music and have the swap at night.

So round 74 it was just over, which happens everywhere.

Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:31 AM   #17
hibgal
Sun King

I seem to recall George said in an interview that he felt part responsible for Pattie going to Eric because he neglected her quite a lot at that time.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Jun 08, 2011, 07:39 AM   #18
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by newspapertaxis82 View Post
I've seen 3, all from the same day (the infamous "A Toot and a Snore" session in 74). I thought May had taken them all. Maybe one of those is Linda's polaroid.
That's probably correct since two of those are pics I've previously seen. Still, I find it hard to believe that no one aimed a camera at a stage that three Beatles were performing on. Or that if they did, they remain private. That photo is rarer than a Bigfoot sighting. Which is why I wonder if it really took place and not just urban myth. Has anyone seen a quote by any participant other than Denny Laine's ambiguous reference.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 08:11 AM   #19
FPSHOT
Sun King

It's common knowledge that it happened which is why I was surprised about your 1st question.

Some musicians / people just do not make everything public what they do at for instance a private party of which there are many.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Jun 08, 2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 08:21 AM   #20
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
It's common knowledge that it happened which is why I was surprised about your 1st question.

Some musicians / people just do not make everything public what they do at for instance a private party of which there are many.
Yes, I understand it's common knowledge. But based on what?