BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Closed Thread

Old Nov 30, 2001, 03:02 AM   #1
FPSHOT
Sun King

Default The world reacting to George\'s death

Many reactions will come from various sources in the world.

This is the topic where we can share those and leave the other topic for our own reactions.

Here is the first from many to follow.

Longtime family friend Gavin De Becker said: ``He died with one thought in mind -- love one another.''

McCartney said he was devastated by the news.

``He was a lovely guy and a very brave man and had a wonderful sense of humor. He is really just my baby brother,'' McCartney said outside his London home.

``I have known George forever and he's a really beautiful guy whom I love dearly.''

Yoko Ono, whose husband John Lennon was gunned down outside their New York apartment building almost 21 years ago, said: ''Thank you George. It was great knowing you.''

``George has given so much to us in his lifetime and continues to do so even after his passing with his music, his wit and his wisdom,'' she added.

------------------
My condolances and respect go out to the Harrison family and their friends. George, you are a part of my life.

[This Message Has Been Edited By FPSHOT On November 30, 2001 04:03 AM]
Old Nov 30, 2001, 03:35 AM   #2
bevphunt
Fool On The Hill

Default Re: The world reacting to George\'s death

George will be remembered for so much...great musician, "quiet Beatle", spriritually minded, FAMILY MAN.
I was lucky enough to meet the Beatles 08/24/66, via radio contest YELLOW SUBMARINE, @ Dodger Stadium prior to their concert there. A Beatle fan's dream come true. GOD SPEED, George. Condolences to your family & friends. We will miss you.

[This Message Has Been Edited By bevphunt On November 30, 2001 09:10 AM]
Old Nov 30, 2001, 03:39 AM   #3
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

A ton of links to articles:

CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ/Musi...harrison.obit/

Hollywood Reporter
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hol...ent_id=1135770

Liverpool Echo
http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0...l&siteid=50061
http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0...od=full&page=2
http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0...od=full&page=3
http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0...od=full&page=4
http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0...od=full&page=5

BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/ent...00/1492446.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/ent...00/1456618.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/ent...00/1430259.stm (life in pics)

Fox
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,39778,00.html

Ananova
http://www.ananova.com/entertainment...sm_461885.html

Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Ar...310549,00.html

Independent
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/m...p?story=107611
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/m...p?story=107616

Mirror
http://mirror.icnetwork.co.uk/news/a...22&method=full

Telegraph
http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/ne...11/30/ufab.xml
http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/ne...1/30/ufaba.xml
http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/ne...1/30/ufabb.xml
http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/ne...1/30/ufabc.xml

[This Message Has Been Edited By HMVNipper On November 30, 2001 04:46 AM]
Old Nov 30, 2001, 03:40 AM   #4
bevphunt
Fool On The Hill

George will be remembered for so much...great musician, "quiet Beatle", spriritually minded, FAMILY MAN.
I was lucky enough to meet the Beatles 08/24/66, via radio contest YELLOW SUBMARINE, @ Dodger Stadium prior to their concert there. A Beatle fan's dream come true. There's a Christian song I heard at a funeral the other day - If you could see me now (walking streets of gold ...body whole) - which brings some peace in the loss of someone in so much physical pain, prior to his death. GOD SPEED, George. Condolences to your family & friends. We will miss you.
Old Nov 30, 2001, 03:46 AM   #5
SF4-EVER

Ex-Beatle George Harrison Dies at 58

By JEFF WILSON, Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) - George Harrison, the Beatles' quiet lead guitarist and spiritual explorer who added both rock 'n' roll flash and a touch of the mystic to the band's timeless magic, has died. He was 58.

Harrison died at 1:30 p.m. Thursday at a friend's Los Angeles home following a battle with cancer, longtime friend Gavin De Becker told The Associated Press late Thursday. Harrison's wife, Olivia Harrison, and son Dhani, 24, were with him.

``He left this world as he lived in it, conscious of God, fearless of death, and at peace, surrounded by family and friends,'' the Harrison family said in a statement. ``He often said, `Everything else can wait but the
search for God cannot wait, and love one another.'''

With Harrison's death, there remain two surviving Beatles, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr. John Lennon was shot to death by a
deranged fan in 1980.

``I am devastated and very, very sad,'' McCartney told reporters outside his London home Friday. ``He was a lovely guy and a very
brave man and had a wonderful sense of humor. He is really just my baby brother.''

It wasn't immediately known if there would be a public funeral for Harrison. A private ceremony had already taken place, De Becker said. He wouldn't release details about the ceremony or say at whose home Harrison died.

In 1998, Harrison disclosed that he had been treated for throat cancer.``It reminds you that anything can happen,'' he said at the time. The following year, Harrison survived an attack by an intruder who stabbed him several times. In July 2001, he released a statement asking fans not to worry about reports that he was still battling cancer.

The Beatles were four distinct personalities joined as a singular force in the rebellious 1960s, influencing everything from hair styles to music. Whether dropping acid, exploring Eastern mysticism, proclaiming ``All You Need is Love,'' or sending up the squares in the film ``A Hard Day's Night'' the Beatles inspired millions.

Harrison's guitar work, modeled on Chuck Berry and Carl Perkins among others, was essential.

He often blended with the band's joyous sound, but also rocked out wildly on ``Long Tall Sally'' and turned slow and dreamy on
``Something.'' His jangly 12-string Rickenbacker was featured in ``A Hard Day's Night.''

Although his songwriting was overshadowed by the great Lennon-McCartney team, Harrison did contribute such classics as ``Here Comes the Sun'' and ``Something.'' Harrison also taught the young Lennon how to play the guitar.

``As he said himself, how do you compare with the genius of John and Paul? But he did, very well,'' rock star and activist Bob Geldof told BBC radio.

``All the way back, he measured up,'' Geldof said. ``Maybe because of the necessary competition between the other two, his standard of songwriting was incomparably better than most other contemporaries
anyway.''

He was known as the ``quiet'' Beatle and his public image was summed up in the first song he wrote for them, ``Don't Bother Me,'' which
appeared on the group's second album.

But Harrison also had a wry sense of humor that helped shape the Beatles' irreverent charm, memorably fitting in alongside Lennon's cutting wit and Starr's cartoonish appeal.

At their first recording session under George Martin, the producer reportedly asked the young musicians to tell him if they didn't like anything. Harrison's response: ``Well, first of all, I don't like your tie.''

He was even funny about his own mortality. As reports of his failing health proliferated, Harrison recorded a new song - ``Horse to the Water'' - and credited it to ``RIP Ltd. 2001.''

He always preferred being a musician to being a star, and he soon soured on Beatlemania - the screaming girls, the wild chases from limos to gigs and back to limos. Like Lennon, his memories of the Beatles were often tempered by what he felt was lost in all the madness.

``There was never anything, in any of the Beatle experiences really, that good: even the best thrill soon got tiring,'' Harrison wrote in his 1979 book, ``I, Me, Mine.'' ``There was never any doubt. The Beatles were doomed. Your own space, man, it's so important. That's why we were doomed, because we didn't have any. We were like monkeys in a zoo.''

Still, in a 1992 interview with The Daily Telegraph, Harrison confided: ``We had the time of our lives: We laughed for years.''

``George has given so much to us in his lifetime and continues to do so even after his passing, with his music, his wit and his wisdom,'' Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, said Friday.

Alan Williams, the Beatles' first manager, described Harrison as the major cog in The Beatles. ``He kept them together, probably because of the calming effect he had,'' Williams said.

After the Beatles broke up in 1970, Harrison had sporadic success. He organized the concert for Bangladesh in New York, produced films that included Monty Python's ``Life of Brian,'' and teamed with old friends, including Bob Dylan and Roy Orbison, as ``The Traveling Wilburys.''

Harrison was born Feb. 25, 1943, in Liverpool, one of four children of Harold and Louise Harrison. His father, a former ship's steward, became a bus conductor soon after his marriage.

Harrison was 13 when he bought his first guitar and befriended Paul McCartney at their school. McCartney introduced him to Lennon, who had founded a band called the Quarry Men - Harrison was allowed to play if one of the regulars didn't show up.

``When I joined, he didn't really know how to play the guitar; he had a little guitar with three strings on it that looked like a banjo,'' Harrison recalled of Lennon during testimony in a 1998 court case against
the owner of a bootleg Beatles' recording.

``I put the six strings on and showed him all the chords - it was actually me who got him playing the guitar. He didn't object to that, being taught by someone who was the baby of the group. John and I had a very good relationship from very early on.''

Harrison evolved as both musician and songwriter. He became interested in the sitar while making the 1965 film ``Help!'' and introduced it to a generation of Western listeners on ``Norwegian Wood,'' a song by Lennon from the ``Rubber Soul'' album. He also began contributing more of his own material.

Among his compositions were ``I Need You'' for the soundtrack of ``Help''; ``If I Needed Someone'' on ``Rubber Soul''; ``Taxman'' and ``Love You To'' on ``Revolver''; ``Within You, Without You'' on ``Sgt. Pepper''; and ``While My Guitar Gently Weeps'' on the White Album.

In 1966, he married model Patti Boyd, who had a bit part in ``A Hard Day's Night.'' (They divorced in 1977, and she married Harrison's friend, the guitarist Eric Clapton, who wrote the anguished song ``Layla'' about her. Harrison attended the wedding.)

More than any of the Beatles, Harrison craved a little quiet. Late in 1966, after the Beatles had ceased touring, he went to India, where he studied the sitar with Ravi Shankar.

In 1967, Harrison introduced the other Beatles to the teaching of the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, and all four took up transcendental meditation. Harrison was the only one who remained a follower - the
others dropped out, with Lennon mocking the Maharishi in the song ``Sexy Sadie.''

By the late '60s, Harrison was clearly worn out from being a Beatle and openly bickered with McCartney, arguing with him on camera during the filming of ``Let It Be.''

As the Beatles grew apart, Harrison collaborated with Clapton on the song ``Badge,'' performed with Lennon's Plastic Ono Band and produced his most acclaimed solo work, the triple album ``All Things Must Pass.'' The sheer volume of material on that 1970 release confirmed the feelings of Harrison fans that he was being stifled in the Beatles.

But one of those songs, the hit ``My Sweet Lord,'' later drew Harrison into a lawsuit, which he lost, by the copyright owner of ``He's So Fine.''

Another Harrison project also led to legal problems. Moved by the starvation caused by the war between Bangladesh and Pakistan, Harrison in 1971 staged two benefit concerts at New York and recruited such performers as Starr, Shankar, Clapton and Dylan.

Anticipating such later superstar benefits as Live Aid and Farm Aid, the Bangladesh concerts were also a cautionary tale about counterculture bookkeeping. Although millions were raised and the three-record concert release won a Grammy for album of the year, allegations emerged over mishandling of funds and the money long stayed in escrow.

Despite the occasional hit single, including the Lennon tribute song ``All Those Years Ago,'' Harrison's solo career did not live up to initial expectations. Reviewing a greatest hits compilation, Village Voice critic Robert Christgau likened him to a ``borderline hitter they can pitch around after the sluggers (Lennon and McCartney) are traded away.''

Harrison's family life was steadier. He married Olivia Arias in 1978, a month after Dhani was born.

The next year, Harrison founded Handmade Films to produce Monty Python's ``Life of Brian.'' He sold the company for $8.5 million in 1994.

``George wasn't head in the clouds all the time. When it came to business and all that he was feet very much on the ground,'' Michael Palin of Monty Python's Flying Circus told BBC radio.

Fame continued to follow Harrison. In 1999, he was stabbed several times by a man who broke into his home west of London. The man, who thought the Beatles were witches and believed himself on a divine mission to kill Harrison, was acquitted by reason of insanity.

The following year, Harrison saw a compilation of Beatles No. 1 singles, ``1,'' sell millions of copies.

``The thing that pleases me the most about it is that young people like it,'' Harrison said in an interview with the AP. ``I think the popular music has gone truly weird. It's either cutesy-wutesy or it's hard, nasty stuff. It's good that this has life again with the youth.''

John Chambers, of the Liverpool Beatles Appreciation Society, said Harrison's death was the end of an era for Beatles fans.

``Until now there has always been the hope of a reunion, perhaps with Julian Lennon standing in for his Dad,'' Chambers said. ``It really is the end of a dream.''

At Harrison's mansion near London, fans left bunches of roses and lilies. One note read: ``The world will never be the same''; another said: ``The music, the rock 'n' roll life you led won't be forgotten.''

Fans in New York began gathering before dawn Friday at Strawberry Fields, a section of Central Park created in memory of Lennon, who was shot outside his apartment nearby.

``I just decided to buy a bottle of wine and some roses at the corner and head over here,'' said restaurateur John Soler, 38.

Added Pete Degan, 42: ``It's a sad day for rock and roll.''

------------------
Author of "Move Over Ms. L." and the sequel "To Thine Own Self Be True,"
hosted at www.rooftopsessions.com
Old Nov 30, 2001, 06:09 AM   #6
SleepyHead
Sun King

'Devastated' McCartney leads tributes
November 30, 2001 Posted: 8:30 AM EST (1330 GMT)

LONDON, England -- The music world is coming to terms with the loss of Beatle George Harrison.

"I am devastated and very very sad," Sir Paul McCartney told the UK Press Association. "We knew he'd been ill for a long time. He was a lovely guy and a very brave man and had a wonderful sense of humour. He is really just my baby brother."

Speaking outside his home in St. John's Wood in northwest London, an emotional McCartney -- whose wife Linda died of cancer in 1998 -- said: "He will be missed sorely by all his friends and loved ones.

"I'd like to ask that everyone, mainly the media, treats Olivia and Dhani with great kindness at this very difficult time."

"I've known George forever and he's a really beautiful guy who I love dearly.

"I remember all the beautiful times we had together and I'd like to remember him like that because I know he would like to be remembered like that.

"He was a great guy, full of love for humanity but he didn't suffer fools gladly. He's a great man. He'll be sorely missed by everyone."

McCartney said he heard the news of Harrison's death on Thursday night and that the last time he saw him was a few weeks ago.

"He had a long battle with his cancer and I saw him a few weeks ago and he was full of fun and he always was. He's a brave lad.

"To me he's just my little baby brother. We grew up together and I knew him in my old home town of Liverpool and we just had so many beautiful times together and that's what I'm going to remember him by.

"A lovely guy who is full of humour as I was saying. When I saw him last time he was obviously very unwell but he was cracking jokes like he always was and he'll be sorely missed.

"He's a beautiful man. The world will miss him."

McCartney said that although he knew that Harrison had been ill for quite some time he had always hoped that some kind of miracle might happen.

[This Message Has Been Edited By SleepyHead On November 30, 2001 07:10 AM]
Old Nov 30, 2001, 06:12 AM   #7
SleepyHead
Sun King

Yoko: 'Grand knowing you'

John Lennon's widow Yoko Ono said Harrison brought magic to the lives of those who knew him. Lennon was murdered in 1980.

"My deep love and concern goes to Olivia and Dhani," she said of Harrison's wife and son. "The three of them were the closest, most loving family you can imagine.

"I hope the press will keep their respectful distance and give Olivia and Dhani the space they need now.

"George has given so much to us in his lifetime and continues to do so even after his passing, with his music, his wit and his wisdom.

"His life was magical and we all felt we had shared a little bit of it by knowing him.

"Thank-you George, it was grand knowing you."

[This Message Has Been Edited By SleepyHead On November 30, 2001 07:13 AM]
Old Nov 30, 2001, 06:13 AM   #8
SleepyHead
Sun King

Martin: 'He has entered a higher state'

Beatles record producer Sir George Martin told PA: "George was a wonderful musician and a fine human being.

"He was the baby of the Beatles, and unlike Paul and John, he had a hard time developing his songwriting talent and making his music alone.

"But he worked hard and with enormous patience, building his music meticulously, and he eventually came to write one of the greatest love songs of all time, 'Something.'"

"George was a true friend, intensely loyal, caring deeply for those he loved and he inspired much love in return. Now I believe, as he did, that he has entered a higher state. God give him peace."

[This Message Has Been Edited By SleepyHead On November 30, 2001 07:13 AM]
Old Nov 30, 2001, 06:14 AM   #9
SleepyHead
Sun King

Geldof: 'Profound sense of gratitude'

Sir Bob Geldof said he was "shocked and stunned" to hear of Harrison's death.

"He wasn't a reluctant Beatle. I mean he knew that his place in popular culture was absolutely secure," he told BBC Radio.

"I doubt there's a person listening to this show that can't remember each one of his guitar lines. Almost uniquely, everything he played was a hook-line.

"I remember when the Boomtown Rats started he came down to see us in Oxford and I was shocked and stunned when he walked into the room. There was a living Beatle."

Geldof said Harrison had given him advice when he was organising the Live Aid concert in 1985, adding: "I remember him with a profound sense of gratitude.

"As he said himself how do you compare with the genius of John and Paul, but he did, very well.

"All the way back he measured up. Maybe because of the necessary competition between the other two his standard of song-writing was incomparably better than lots of their contemporaries anyway."
Old Nov 30, 2001, 06:15 AM   #10
SleepyHead
Sun King

Palin: 'Great sense of humour'

Actor Michael Palin, who met the Beatle after Harrison sent a letter to the BBC to say how much he enjoyed Monty Python's first show in 1969, said he had a "great wit, a great sense of humour."

Harrison then became very friendly with the Python team, particularly with Eric Idle, and in 1978 bankrolled their film "Life of Brian."

Palin said the mystical side to Harrison was always balanced by a "sort of nice, down-to-earth Liverpudlian attitude to life"

"George wasn't head in the clouds all the time, when it came to business and all that -- he was feet very much on the ground," Palin told BBC Radio.

"There was a mixture there and it was a rather pleasant mixture, and I think it helped him a lot in the last few years, that he had his spirituality.

"Death held no terrors for George whatsoever, and he still got a lot out of life and found the humour was there right up to when the last time I saw him, which was in August.

"He could be curmudgeonly about tax demands and all that but George, always called the quiet Beatle, never stopped talking when I was with him.

"He had an enormous number of friends who were terribly loyal to him and will be very sad and unhappy at what's happened today.

"George always had a great number of friends and he was a great entertainer, he wasn't the silent one who sat in the corner by any means."
Old Nov 30, 2001, 06:15 AM   #11
SleepyHead
Sun King

First manager: 'Baby of the group'

Alan Williams, The Beatles' first manager, paid tribute to the "talented musician" he first met at the tender age of 17.

"He was the baby of the group. He was a very loveable person. I would say he was the major cog in The Beatles at that time. He kept them together probably because of the calming effect he had.

"It is very sad. I have seen three of them go now. First there was Stuart Sutcliffe who died tragically and then John Lennon who also died tragically and now George.

"He proved that he was a very talented songwriter. I have such fond memories of him and know he will be happy wherever he is.

"It is a honour to talk about such a great person. I would like to send my condolences to his wife and son and that, I would say, comes from the whole of Merseyside," added Williams.
Old Nov 30, 2001, 06:16 AM   #12
SleepyHead
Sun King

Author: 'Another Beatle gone'

Beatle author Philip Hunter said: "Another Beatle gone. It's an awful thought -- the group were an entity in people's lives.

"He was overshadowed by Lennon and McCartney and he was never really happy about that. There was a certain bitterness about him, but later in life he realised what good fortune he enjoyed."
Old Nov 30, 2001, 06:17 AM   #13
SleepyHead
Sun King

Harrison's biographer Alan Clayson

said: "He was stabbed in the lung, at around the time he was diagnosed with lung cancer. It had a psychological effect on him.

"After Lennon was assassinated (by a gunman in New York in 1980), he took a very fatalistic view. He was often seen drinking in pubs around Henley where he lived.

"This (stabbing) more or less finished him as far as being seen in public without a bodyguard."
Old Nov 30, 2001, 06:17 AM   #14
SleepyHead
Sun King

Mary Hopkin,

who sang with the Beatles in the 1960s and until recently lived near Harrison in Henley-on-Thames, expressed her sadness saying the guitarist's death was a "great loss."

"It was not a surprise but was nevertheless tragic news.

"I hadn't seen him for some time, not since his illness, and it's a great loss especially as he had such enormous talent.

"I feel for his family -- his wife and his son -- it's dreadful."
Old Nov 30, 2001, 06:58 AM   #15
SleepyHead
Sun King

Prime Minister Tony Blair

"I think people will be very sad at his death. I think it is worth of pointing out that he was not only a great musician and artist, but he did an immense amount for charity as well and so he will be very, very sadly missed by people right round the world.”
Old Nov 30, 2001, 06:58 AM   #16
SleepyHead
Sun King

Lord Mayor Gerry Scott, of Liverpool, England

“George Harrison was once of the great Liverpudlians. He was a warm, peace-loving man who much more than just a talented musician.”
Old Nov 30, 2001, 06:58 AM   #17
SleepyHead
Sun King

Mike Storey, Council Leader, Liverpool, England

“Everyone who knew of George Harrison knew he was a true Scouser who never forgot his roots. He was a great ambassador for the city."
Old Nov 30, 2001, 06:59 AM   #18
SleepyHead
Sun King

Fan drawn to Abbey Road

“I’ll light a candle, say a little prayer,” said one teary-eyed fan drawn magnetically after Harrison’s death to Abbey Road, site of the studio where The Beatles cut pop history.
Old Nov 30, 2001, 06:59 AM   #19
SleepyHead
Sun King

Kim Freedman, 17

My “guitar will gently weep forever.” Freedman, who considers Harrison a "big idol," was one of many fans and neighbors bringing bouquets and cards to Harrison’s Victorian mansion west of London.
Old Nov 30, 2001, 08:45 AM   #20
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Thank you everyone for this information and these sites. Luckily we have these boards so we can band together and share. I just hope I can get through the day and keep my workaday face until I leave. This is going to be a very long day indeed.

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Closed Thread