BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Mar 01, 2003, 11:55 PM   #1
FPSHOT
Sun King

Default Henley-on-Thames Memorial Garden

Finally a decision has been made according to the Henley Standard

http://www.henley-on-thames.com/main...ws/story09.htm

RED LION LAWN WILL BECOME GEORGE'S GARDEN

HENLEY town councillors finally put an end to the argument surrounding George Harrison’s memorial garden — on his birthday.

They decided to rename Red Lion lawn by Henley Bridge the George Harrison Garden and to redesign it as a memorial to him.

The decision comes after months of deliberations and heated rows about where the garden should go.

And only this month the notorious Red Lion Lawn was vandalised again, with graffiti sprayed on the walls, and bricks removed from the paving.

Cllr. Lorraine Hillier told the town council’s meeting on Tuesday: “I think it is shameful we are debating this. We decided we would ask Mrs. Harrison and her family and then we would make a formal decision.

“Mrs. Harrison has already said she will give her assistance with the budget for this.

“It is actually very peaceful down there. It fits all the criteria.”

Cllr. Jonathan Barter said: “We did receive a letter from Olivia Harrison expressing a concern about having the garden opposite Friar Park. I sympathise with her concern that it would become a place of pilgrimage.

“The point she made is that she did not wish to be reminded of George’s absence. What I understand her to mean is his death.

“When we have such a memorial area it does tend to have the air of a crematorium.

“George’s last wish was for peace.”

And Cllr. Barry Wood agreed: “All this is disrespectful to his memory.”

Cllr. Mike Owen said: “It would be fitting to agree this on a date that some say was his birthday.

“We are going to look very foolish and uncaring if we go against the wishes of Olivia Harrison.”

The council agreed to accept Mrs. Harrison’s offer of help with the funding and design of the memorial garden.

Here is a link to a picture gallery of Henley; if you go to the next picture you see an old one of Friar Park.

http://www.alangreeley.co.uk/Old%20H...b/pages/32.htm
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2003, 02:33 AM   #2
Miss O'Dell
Dr. Robert

Default Re: Henley-on-Thames Memorial Garden

George would like that. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Miss O'Dell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2003, 05:11 AM   #3
FPSHOT
Sun King

To even consider having it opposite Friar Park, 'amateur hour' all around.
Old Mar 02, 2003, 07:49 AM   #4
Hari's Chick

This is great news...it will be nice to visit this garden someday when it comes together.
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2003, 07:55 AM   #5
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

A garden is a very apt tribute to George. Very a propos and lovely in the symbolism -- "your love is forever" - a garden represents eternity in the wonder of nature.

And George appreciated that very idea.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2003, 12:59 PM   #6
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

Better than Friar Park!It would indeed have been ridiculous to place one outside Friar Park! Where were these people's brains?

[size="1"][ Mar 02, 2003, 02:10 PM: Message Edited By: Savoy Truffle ][/size]
Savoy Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2003, 01:38 PM   #7
Trinidad
Fool On The Hill

I love the idea of a Garden for George. He was a gardner, of course, and his belief in reincarnation and all that would fit very well into a garden. I hope it won't be too close to Friar Park, because I can see how it would upset Olivia and Dhani to see a lot of fans out of their window when it's his birtday and stuff, although it must also be comforting to have a memorial for your loved one. Scotland just planted a John Lennon memorial garden. I would love to go and see George's. The peace of such a place would be brilliant.
Trinidad
Trinidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2003, 02:58 AM   #8
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By Savoy Truffle:
Where were these people's brains?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">being washed [img]graemlins/wink1.gif[/img]
Old Mar 05, 2003, 05:55 PM   #9
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

Brainwashed? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old Mar 05, 2003, 07:47 PM   #10
bobdude
Dr. Robert

Brainwashed by our leaders
By our kings and queens
Brainwashed in the open air
Brainwashed behind the scenes
bobdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:50 PM   #11
FPSHOT
Sun King

There is an update about this.

Still - and this is really amazing - the town and general purposes committee of Henley Town Council, at a meeting this week on Tuesday, members proposed siting it in a garden at the top of Gravel Hill.

But in a letter to the town clerk at the end of last year a spokesman for Olivia Harrison and her son Dhani said: “They are touched that the council should wish to have a place in Henley dedicated to the memory of George Harrison. But they ask that you find a small piece of land elsewhere, perhaps somewhere near the river, which would serve the purpose as well without being so close to their home.”

Councillors have gone expressly against her wishes by proposing to site the memorial at Gravel Hill, although the chairman, Cllr. Dianne Browne, did also propose that an invitation be sent to Mrs. Harrison to meet with the mayor and town clerk to discuss the possibility of siting it in the garden opposite the Red Lion.

And if she declined the meeting, Cllr. Browne said the decision would be taken to full council.

Cllr. Gillian Zakss said she believed neither site was the best place for a memorial.

“Local 13 and 14-year-olds meet by the Red Lion lawn area and I do not think that it is an appropriate place for a memorial,” she said.

“But I am also mindful that Mrs. Harrison does not want to look at a plaque every time she drives up to the house in Gravel Hill.

“It might be a nice idea to have the memorial in a completely different area such as the sensory garden, in Mill Meadows.

“We do not want to go expressly against Mrs Harrison’s wishes, but I don’t think we should put it at the Red Lion either.”

Cllr. Bill Gibson said: “I suggest we don’t bother! He only bought Friar Park and he wasn’t seen outside of it.”

At one time the guitarist, who found fame with the Beatles, was seen regularly around town and played darts at his local pub the Row Barge.

But he became worried about his security after the assassination of John Lennon and then in 2000 a crazed attacker broke in and almost stabbed George to death.

The first suggestion for a memorial was a circle of trees to be planted in Gillott’s Field.

This was later changed to the flower bed in Gravel Hill, until Mrs Harrison feared a memorial outside the house would affect her privacy.

http://www.henleystandard.co.uk/main...ws/story09.htm

Thanks to Abbey Road's newspage.

This is really something.

As if 13, 14 year olds never see a pub.

But on the other hand .. George being a man of nature ... a place anywhere in Henley would not be good I think, near the river would be fantastic .. thinking of "Pisces Fish".
Old Oct 11, 2003, 09:07 AM   #12
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted By FPSHOT:
Cllr. Bill Gibson said: “I suggest we don’t bother! He only bought Friar Park and he wasn’t seen outside of it.”
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">That's such an incredibly ignorant thing to say. I don't think I like that guy very much.

And also, kids are going to hang out where they're going to hang out. It would be nice though if these people could make up their minds. Also I think George contributed a lot to the town of Henley. They should just respect his family's wishes and stop making themselves look like jerks. IMHO.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 06:13 PM   #13
BeatleChick
Sgt. Pepper

I think George would have loved this, it's such a beautiful, peaceful tribute for such a great, gentle soul. Lovely of them to do this! George would have appreciated it!
BeatleChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 05:53 AM   #14
Barbara
Apple Scruff

I do not know if this will do any good or not with the "wise" (and I use that term loosely) leaders of Henley, but there is a petition online at the following:

http://www.petitiononline.com/GH4301/petition.html
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 10:55 AM   #15
FiendishThingie
Bulldog

Well, there really isn't much space to put any sort of memorial near Friar Park. There is only one place & it's already got memorials to other people. Plus, I think this is too close to FP & I'm with Dhani & Olivia... I wouldn't want it there. They should be able to live in peace.

As for along the river... It's pretty crowded down along there, however if they could find a small space around the Red Lion, that might be nice. I just don't really know where an idea spot would be.

Personally, I think George was never much for a fuss & I think if he had his say, at this point, he'd say drop it. I think they should just leave it alone as well. I mean, if they're trying to duplicate Strawberry Fields in NYC, I just can't see it happening in Henley.

I just wish peace & quiet to all those living there. Just MHO...

FT [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
FiendishThingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2003, 05:47 PM   #16
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted By Barbara:
I do not know if this will do any good or not with the "wise" (and I use that term loosely) leaders of Henley, but there is a petition online at the following:

http://www.petitiononline.com/GH4301/petition.html
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Have all you good little Crackerbox Palace readers signed yet? Hmmmm..? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old Oct 24, 2003, 06:56 PM   #17
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

Just did! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old Nov 09, 2003, 02:24 AM   #18
FPSHOT
Sun King

We Succeeded [img]graemlins/dance.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/dance.gif[/img]

This week's Henley Standard reports that Henley Town Mayor Barry Edwards has met with Olivia Harrison and has agreed that town will decide with the Harrison family what to do about a memorial and that the eventual location will not be near Friar Park.

I found something else and I don't know if it relates to the same, it could be an old report, I actually seem to think so, it has no date, the search engine on the Henley newspaper is bad quality.

But, the good things is, the petition seems to have been succesful

"A circle of oak trees at Gillotts Field is to be dedicated to the memory of George Harrison.
The trees, which have already been planted, were suggested as a memorial at the planning and resources committee meeting of Henley Town Council on Tuesday evening.
But councillors have no other plans for any other memorial more central to the town.
Cllr. Ken Arlett told the meeting: “There is a big enough memorial in Liverpool to him.
Cllr. John Howard, chairman of the committee, agreed, adding: “He was a recluse and never let anyone have access to the gardens of Friar Park which used to be open to the public.
“We don’t really want to sting the people of Henley further. The ring of trees with a memorial in the centre will be enough."
Old Nov 09, 2003, 03:20 AM   #19
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted By FPSHOT:

Cllr. John Howard, chairman of the committee, agreed, adding: “He was a recluse and never let anyone have access to the gardens of Friar Park which used to be open to the public.
“We don’t really want to sting the people of Henley further. The ring of trees with a memorial in the centre will be enough."
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I am growing to quite dislike some of these councillors.

But that is great news that Olivia's wishes are being taken into account. Hopefully the petition did help.
Siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2003, 09:04 AM   #20
Hari's Chick

Haha! Sounds like sour grapes from some stodgy old councillors! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Losers!!!

Yay!!! We won!!!!

I hope the NICE people of Henley will actually work with Olivia and Dhani in a thoughtful way and put up something well considered in the future. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]