BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Jul 01, 2004, 11:58 AM   #1
EnchantingLennon
Dr. Robert

Default History Buffs

I was watching the Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl DVD and they showed the rides from Disneyland (some I recognized from Walt Disney World) and to my amazement most of the stuff disappeared. I had someone explained it to me: Some idiots thought that the Pirates were too violent and wanted to change because for their little kids. What I think is that those people are whackers. I don't have kids but I do have younger cousins. What's the point of keeping the history's violence away? These are bloody pirates for goodness sakes! Pirates killed, steal, chased women in skirts, etc. and these people don't have a clue what history has gone through. If you think it's too violent for the kid, stay in kiddie land then.

I'm a real history buff, especially certain parts of it. My latests history phase is King Henry the 8th and his 6 wives. My favorite is Anne Boyelyn (the mother of Elizabeth I)

Before that it was Lizzie Borden- who allegedly killed her father and stepmother. The house where she allegedly killed them was made into a bed/breakfast in, it's also haunted (they think it's Lizzie but even I know damn sure that her ghost wouldn't return to that house- she HATED that house, it could just be Andrew and Abby Borden)

And the other was Bonnie & Clyde, the 1930s gangsters who robbed banks and gas stations. That was a great love story in my opinion. Sure they were bad, but all they wanted was money during the depression and make a life of themselves- but they got too caught up in the frinzy. I think my next aim of studying history will go to Jack the Ripper. When I was younger I studied Amelia Earheart and George Washington.

Some people in history just draw me in to study them. I would be watching a little documentary and they would mention somebody that will catch my attention and I'll just dig and dig. I'm an absolute history buff!
EnchantingLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2004, 12:56 PM   #2
Tim
Sgt. Pepper

Default Re: History Buffs

I'm into history as well. I don't care for sanitized histories though.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2004, 04:25 PM   #3
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

I hear ya, Tim! History can't be sanitized... the world has had a dirty past (and not so distant past ). As for Disneyland cleaning up the Pirates ride, I think that's going a bit too far. It's not the world's job to babysit every child out there and put up padded walls around everything lest little Johnny should hurt himself. I don't think any child was ever traumatized by that Pirates ride or had the incredible urge to have a fencing duel with their friend and actually stab them through. Kids are always going to play-fight, but as long as they've been taught right from wrong and how to stay safe, they'll come home in one piece at the end of the day.

Food for thought: "Those that forget history are bound to repeat it." --Woodrow Wilson. That's how I always explained to my students exactly why we have to study history and why people need to be aware of what has happened in the past. It's really true that if we don't know where we came from, we can't figure out where we're going. It'd be like reinventing the wheel...

Ok, enough of the lecture. I was thisclose in taking a history minor in college; I think it's an extremely fascinating subject, too. The eras I've been into are the 1960s (of course), World War I, the Romantic Era (think Pride and Prejudice)...Those are my favorites. I'm particularly into the literature angle of those times (English major, surprise, surprise). I just think it's neat that certain writers can really vividly capture the essence of what it was like to live during those times.
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2004, 04:28 PM   #4
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

[ QUOTE ]
EnchantingLennon Posted:
I was watching the Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl DVD and they showed the rides from Disneyland (some I recognized from Walt Disney World) and to my amazement most of the stuff disappeared. I had someone explained it to me: Some idiots thought that the Pirates were too violent and wanted to change because for their little kids. What I think is that those people are whackers. I don't have kids but I do have younger cousins. What's the point of keeping the history's violence away? These are bloody pirates for goodness sakes! Pirates killed, steal, chased women in skirts, etc. and these people don't have a clue what history has gone through. If you think it's too violent for the kid, stay in kiddie land then.

I'm a real history buff, especially certain parts of it. My latests history phase is King Henry the 8th and his 6 wives. My favorite is Anne Boyelyn (the mother of Elizabeth I)

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you seen that PBS series The Six Wives of Henry VIII? I saw it about 6 months ago and I would highly recommend it. Heck, it got me interested enough to go out and buy the book that the series was based on!
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2004, 05:22 PM   #5
EnchantingLennon
Dr. Robert

[ QUOTE ]
beatlegirl9977 Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
EnchantingLennon Posted:

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you seen that PBS series The Six Wives of Henry VIII? I saw it about 6 months ago and I would highly recommend it. Heck, it got me interested enough to go out and buy the book that the series was based on!

[/ QUOTE ]

I did see it and I recorded it. I only have two books, both are from Alison Weirn (Sp?) one about the wives and the other about the children. It's very interesting!
EnchantingLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2004, 05:13 AM   #6
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

I like some history... I love learning a lot about the 20th century, especially WWI and WWII, the fifties, and sixties. Stuff before then, I kind of lose interest in.
DizzymissLizzy909 is offline   Reply With Quote