BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Jan 15, 2006, 03:22 PM   #61
Georgie Girl
Sun King

Prussian Blue? What the hell is that?

I mean besides being a color I will never use in my future career.

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 01:20 AM   #62
Clark Kent
Sun King

I don't want to start making a list because I know I won't be able to stop. I'll name three. U2 have to be the most unbelievably overrated band in music history. They just play average rock music, but Bono's above criticism because of his charity work. Isn't he? I loathe Coldplay with a passion. They're boring, whiny and irritating. Then there's James Bland (Blunt) with his weepy voice and his annoying songs. What makes it worse is that so many people think that U2, Coldplay and Blunt are musical geniuses and you have highbrow music magazines conpsiring to shove them down our throats. You can get me more angry about overrated rock bands than you can about bubblegum pop.

Last edited by Clark Kent : Jan 16, 2006 at 01:21 AM.
Clark Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 03:25 AM   #63
shizukuchan
Apple Scruff

If you're like me and think most American pop music in the past decade or so has gone down the crapper, these might make you feel better:

Better than MTV!
Wing (A sweet lady with a cursed ear for music. Her rendition of "Back in Black" by AC/DC borders on the surreal. But if you want to know what true suffering is, then listen to her sing "Love Me Do", and be grateful that it's only a half-minute clip.)
ohhh mama... (The man in the pink dress is Shingo Katori, an actor who has done serious dramas and has also been a member of a very popular Japanese boy band. And is that James Brown doing a cameo later in the video...?)

Oh, and there's that William Hung guy from American Idol. It's amazing how so many people actually paid money for his CD.

The honeybee knows the way.

Everything is funny.
Everything is true.
Funny, but true.

Last edited by shizukuchan : Jan 16, 2006 at 06:33 AM.
shizukuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 06:48 AM   #64
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

I cant believe some people get so angry over music. Each to their own and every stereo has an off button.
Zimmerman The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 05:19 PM   #65
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

erYeah, but you can be caught out with others or in a public place and can't escape a song you find dreadful, like if you are in a store.

Prussian Blue is bad enough, but think of other hate bands like Nordic Thunder. That kind of thing is very upsetting to me.

I can't stand cRAP/hip hop; girl groups; calypso; doo-wop; disco; reggae.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Jan 16, 2006 at 06:02 PM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 05:51 PM   #66
62hofner

I can't say what is "the worst music ever". It's all too subjective.

I do not particularly like rap. Some of it I find amusing and humorous - good for a laugh but that's really it. I think I'd end my life before I made it through an entire rap album.

Nor do I like a lot of the so-called "rock" that's out there these days. I HATE that mega over-driven metallic guitar sound. Yuck!!! I want to hear chords and strings being plucked! I want hear notes, not a train wreck!

Going hand-in-hand with the above "rock" comments, I can't stand any music that is sung in that deep, dark, omenous roaring vocal style.... it sounds like Hell on earth to me, and I can't see how anyone could enjoy sitting through an entire album of music sung in that style of vocals.

Having said all this.... If I am sitting in my car, and I can hear your "music" coming from two cars behind me, and the bass is so loud it's making my heart skip beats, then THAT instantly wins a nomination for "worst music ever" award from me.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 06:05 PM   #68
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent
I don't want to start making a list because I know I won't be able to stop. I'll name three. U2 have to be the most unbelievably overrated band in music history. They just play average rock music, but Bono's above criticism because of his charity work. Isn't he? I loathe Coldplay with a passion. They're boring, whiny and irritating. Then there's James Bland (Blunt) with his weepy voice and his annoying songs. What makes it worse is that so many people think that U2, Coldplay and Blunt are musical geniuses and you have highbrow music magazines conpsiring to shove them down our throats. You can get me more angry about overrated rock bands than you can about bubblegum pop.
Oh, Clark... Clark....!!!! U2 can NEVER be over-rated. Without bands like U2, the rock music landscape would be rather barren and soul-less. No magazine needs to shove them down anyone's throat. I was hooked on their sound back in 1983 even before I knew a damn thing about them. The Edge, alone, will go down in rock history as creating a sound - if he hasn't already - that defined an entire era in rock history. If that is not a mark of greatness, I do not know what is.

Coldplay I can live without, and James Blunt I am not familar with.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 11:15 PM   #69
LovinLennon909
Taxman

Hah. I couldn't identify The Edge's sound if my life depended on it, so he's not that definitive. It's not like when Clapton or Harrison or Hendrix or BB King pick up a guitar...when they're playing, you KNOW it. Yes, U2 is sucky, boring, and otherwise devoid of life. And it's a wonder Bono hasn't exploded in the process of trying to restrain his ego. His recent Rolling Stone interview was so nauseatingly smug and self-important I couldn't believe this guy actually had any fans. He's so unlikeable.

Of course, everyone knows the worst music in history is split between disco and anything that was produced it the Eighties.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:09 AM   #70
sadie
Sun King

There is alot of music that is good music but not my taste, I don't care for U2, Elton John, Dire Straights, Phil Collins ,Queen, or any other "Dad" music but you can hardly call it bad music, as Z said, each to their own.

sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:12 AM   #71
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

the worst music in history? i'm tempted to say rap because the spirit of rap appears to degrade and denegrate women as mere sex objects, glorifies crass materialism, and elevates self-gratification-mortification. hmm...sounds like themes in rock music i've heard before...anyway.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:46 AM   #72
62hofner

[quote=LovinLennon909]Hah. I couldn't identify The Edge's sound if my life depended on it, so he's not that definitive. It's not like when Clapton or Harrison or Hendrix or BB King pick up a guitar...when they're playing, you KNOW it. Yes, U2 is sucky, boring, and otherwise devoid of life. And it's a wonder Bono hasn't exploded in the process of trying to restrain his ego. His recent Rolling Stone interview was so nauseatingly smug and self-important I couldn't believe this guy actually had any fans. He's so unlikeable.

I can understand people not liking U2... whether it be because Bono annoys them, or whatever. There's no rule that says you have to like a particular band. But to list them among "the worst music ever"? I can't say what I think about those with that "viewpoint", as I make it a point to not be nasty and rude on this or any other forum (the word that comes to mind rhymes with "cupid").

If one can't identify The Edge's guitar sound/playing by now... well, I'd have to ask them "what planet have you been living on for the past 20+ years?!"

I love Clapton and Hendrix, and ALL those guitar heroes. But, my humble opinion - and it is one coming from a guitarist - is that The Edge has a more distinctive sound than both of them.

Last edited by 62hofner : Jan 17, 2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:47 AM   #73
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie
There is alot of music that is good music but not my taste, I don't care for U2, Elton John, Dire Straights, Phil Collins ,Queen, or any other "Dad" music but you can hardly call it bad music, as Z said, each to their own.
"Dad music"..... ok, NOW I feel really old!
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:59 AM   #74
62hofner

Thumbs up Bruce got it right....

... when he gave his induction speech for U2 at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (Yes, I did say "Hall of Fame"):

http://www.classicsdujour.com/phpBB2...pic.php?p=164&

Now, if I had to guess who had a better perspective on this subject - Bruce Springsteen or someone on this forum who ain't quite 20 years old yet? I'd have to take a wild stab and go with The Boss.

Last edited by 62hofner : Jan 17, 2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:01 PM   #75
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner
"Dad music"..... ok, NOW I feel really old!
I guess the Beatles is grand dad music?
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:11 PM   #77
FPSHOT
Sun King

Grand as in Biiig :)

Extremely boring to me are quite some; Phil Collins, U2, Jamie Cullum, James Blunt, Coldplay, Mariah Carey, Celine Dior, INXS, Paul Simon........

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:15 PM   #78
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT
Grand as in Biiig :)

Extremely boring to me are quite some; Phil Collins, U2, Jamie Cullum, James Blunt, Coldplay, Mariah Carey, Celine Dior, INXS, Paul Simon........
I completly agree, except for, Phil Colins, U2, James Blunt, Coldplay, INXS and Paul Simon.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:17 PM   #79
Legs
Sun King

Actually I half agree on Phil Colins. Later day Genesis and solo is boring, early three men genesis and solo is good.