BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Jul 25, 2004, 07:42 AM   #41
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper
Default Re: songs you dislike (or hate)

[ QUOTE ]
Rellevart Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
IWantToTellYou Posted: Stairway To Heaven. Yes, so sue me. I HATE this song.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you're not alone. I hate that song too. TOTALLY overrated. But then, I've never "gotten" the whole Zep thing at all...

Oh, and I agree about "Under My Thumb"...the lyrics are so awful that I can't even forget them and just listen to the cool COOL sound of that song.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, definitely agree about Stairway To Heaven -- ugh! And Free Bird. Double ugh!

I definitely agree with you, Rell, about Under My Thumb -- the music is so cool, the neat intstruments...but the lyrics totally overshadow that for me. It's such a stark contrast, the great music and the ugly, horrid lyrics! The really obnoxious thing is that I really believe that Mick Jagger DOES treat women that way, even now. I find it sickening.

And Val, I know what you mean about "If I Had A Million Dollars," it's overplayed. They were using it here in NY State for a while as the theme song for the lottery, so you can imagine that it was easy to get sick of it. However, I do like Barenaked Ladies otherwise -- though I can understand if you are Canadian how you might be sick of them. They probably get more airplay up in Canada than they do here in NYC.

I guess I did mean "All Apologies" when I was complaining about that Nirvana song. I can't stand them so much that I didn't know it was the wrong title, though I certainly knew what song I was talking about, and clearly so did other people. Still hate it, no matter what it's called.

Oh, and while I'm at it...though I do recognize their place in musical history (overrated though it is), I can't STAND the Sex Pistols. One of the worst experiences of my life was being forced to listen to "Never Mind the Bollocks" several times in a row by a so-called "friend" back when it was new. I don't think I ever got over the trauma! And it's not that I don't like Punk, either, because I do like some, by other groups, ones who could actually PLAY. And they didn't have to play WELL, either -- I mean, I like the Ramones. It's just that I am not and never have been of the opinon that simply making a loud, discordant noise and shouting nasty words over it constitutes "music."
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 08:06 AM   #42
jtal909
Sun King

Under My Thumb is an interesting song musically, except the lyrics, which I agree are a bit disturbing.
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 09:34 AM   #43
IWantToTellYou
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to IWantToTellYou

[ QUOTE ]
jtal909 Posted:
Every aspiring guitarist would learn Stairway and you'd hear it played badly by 3 different people in a music store at a time trying out guitars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that! I cannot believe how many people I have seen in music stores that try and play that song. What is it with that? Music stores should have signs like in Wayne's World: "No Stairway". Imagine working in a music store and having to listen to people butcher the song all day long...Especially if you already hate the song to begin with!

I used to like Zep, but I find that they are too over-played, I didn't want to say it before, but I am sure I can say it now, I dislike them very much. I don't know what it is about them...They are talented, yes, but there is just something about that band that rubs me the wrong way.

Another song I hate is "For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)" by AC/DC. Am I the only one who finds this song to be oozing of cheesiness?
IWantToTellYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 01:55 PM   #44
Fran
Nowhere Man

[ QUOTE ]
IWantToTellYou Posted:
Stairway To Heaven. Yes, so sue me. I HATE this song.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Led Zeppelin but I'm sick of Stairway now. I don't hate it but I think there are better Led Zep songs than this.

[ QUOTE ]
jtal909 Posted:
Every aspiring guitarist would learn Stairway and you'd hear it played badly by 3 different people in a music store at a time trying out guitars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to admit that Stairway was the first thing I learnt on the guitar - never played it in a music store though.
Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 07:14 PM   #45
Ailurophile
Nowhere Man

[ QUOTE ]
Rellevart Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
IWantToTellYou Posted: Stairway To Heaven. Yes, so sue me. I HATE this song.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you're not alone. I hate that song too. TOTALLY overrated. But then, I've never "gotten" the whole Zep thing at all...

Another one I hate? I HAAAAAAAAATE Billy Joel's "She's Always A Woman". I normally like the guy (at least his early stuff), but this sounds like a Geritol commercial.

Oh, and I agree about "Under My Thumb"...the lyrics are so awful that I can't even forget them and just listen to the cool COOL sound of that song.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like Stairway to Heaven either. I'm not sure that it's AWFUL or anything, it's just way too overrated.

Also I have to admit I never got the Led Zeppelin thing either. They've got some great songs (Good Times Bad Times, Rock and Roll, Misty Mountain Hop, What Is And What Should Never Be), but their music just doens't strike me as that interesting. People really love them, though. People swear by this band.
Ailurophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 10:42 AM   #46
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

[ QUOTE ]
HMVNipper Posted:

I definitely agree with you, Rell, about Under My Thumb -- the music is so cool, the neat intstruments...but the lyrics totally overshadow that for me. It's such a stark contrast, the great music and the ugly, horrid lyrics! The really obnoxious thing is that I really believe that Mick Jagger DOES treat women that way, even now. I find it sickening.

I guess I did mean "All Apologies" when I was complaining about that Nirvana song. I can't stand them so much that I didn't know it was the wrong title, though I certainly knew what song I was talking about, and clearly so did other people. Still hate it, no matter what it's called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, me too!

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and while I'm at it...though I do recognize their place in musical history (overrated though it is), I can't STAND the Sex Pistols. One of the worst experiences of my life was being forced to listen to "Never Mind the Bollocks" several times in a row by a so-called "friend" back when it was new. I don't think I ever got over the trauma! And it's not that I don't like Punk, either, because I do like some, by other groups, ones who could actually PLAY. And they didn't have to play WELL, either -- I mean, I like the Ramones. It's just that I am not and never have been of the opinon that simply making a loud, discordant noise and shouting nasty words over it constitutes "music."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think "Under My Thumb" has a great melody, but I hate the words for the reasons Susan and Rell stated above. Same holds true for "I'm So Hot For Her." The lyrics - ikkk, but the song sounds good.

I admit that I like the Ramones.

I hate rap, reggae, most Calypso, disco, and punk. I don't care for doo-wop either. I just can't STAND reggae!

I hope I never hear "Every Breath You Take" or "My Heart Will Go On" ever again!

Not to offend Abba fans and I like Abba, but I HATE 1977's "Dancing Queen." That one pisses me off SO much!

I can't stand the Sex Pistols AT ALL and would rather hear air raid sirens. I thought they were a parody of music and were a nihilistic statement that was against music. Anyroad, I can't stand them.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 10:44 AM   #47
beatlebangs1964

[ QUOTE ]
Mr.Mustard Posted:
"going to the chapel and were gonna get married".I'm not sure if thats the name or who it's by. it was out in the early-mid 60's. I hated it as a little kid when it was out and dislike it even more now.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Dixie Cups did this one in 1964, the year the Beatles came to America.

Beatle year 1964
Old Jul 26, 2004, 12:21 PM   #48
Roxy Starkey
Sgt. Pepper

Send a message via MSN to Roxy Starkey

I forgot about reggae... I can't stand any reggae song, specially the ones of Bob Marley.
Roxy Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 07:22 PM   #49
Ailurophile
Nowhere Man

[ QUOTE ]
beatlebangs1964 Posted:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't stand the Sex Pistols AT ALL and would rather hear air raid sirens. I thought they were a parody of music and were a nihilistic statement that was against music. Anyroad, I can't stand them.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Never Mind The Bollocks" is a terrible album. It's extremely over-rated. Most of the songs are dull and vacant and horrible, just as you say, but . . . there are three great songs there. I think that "Holidays In The Sun", "God Save The Queen", and especially "Anarchy In the U.K." are good and not nihilistic and all. Holidays is simply absurdist and frantic, whereas God Save and Anarchy are simple political, anti-authoritarian statements. Lines like "I am an AntiChrist" (and Johnny Rotten's accompanying t-shirt) are simple sensationalism, and that shouldn't cover up the fact that some of their music is really good. There's a lot of energy and vitality there, and savage though it may be, it is not an evil energy. Especially they have these great warping, whirling bass-lines that meld perfectly with the guitar. I really dig those.

Of course I also have a thing for Johnny Rotten's voice, so that may be influencing me quite a bit, but I do understand the "discordant/naughty" part too, "Bodies" is just terrifying. It's just I think there was a genuine spark of genius there.

And I like the Ramones too. Much more positive vibes from them.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 07:41 PM   #50
Ailurophile
Nowhere Man

Sorry, one more thing about Johnny Rotten's little band. . . when you just feel like screaming because stupid EMI won't give us Beatle-fans what we want even though they KNOW what we want, when they keep giving us Let It Be Naked instead of the Quarrymen tape and all the demos of the songs the Beatles gave to other artists, instead of the mythic long version of Helter Skelter which we know they have, instead of Hollywood Bowl or the Christmas album on CD, instead of everything, then there is NOTHING better to do than crank up the Sex Pistols' "EMI" and break something with a stick.

Old Jul 26, 2004, 08:00 PM   #51
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

Sometimes When We Touch... I can't remember who does that one, but I've hated it since the first time I heard it. And it certainly gets a lot of airtime around here.
DizzymissLizzy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 04:43 AM   #52
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

[ QUOTE ]
DizzymissLizzy909 Posted:
Sometimes When We Touch...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh iccccccckkk!! That was a big hit when I was a teenager and I kept thinking that the guy who wrote it must be the biggest wuss EVER.
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 07:22 AM   #53
beatlebangs1964

[ QUOTE ]
Rellevart Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
DizzymissLizzy909 Posted:
Sometimes When We Touch...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh iccccccckkk!! That was a big hit when I was a teenager and I kept thinking that the guy who wrote it must be the biggest wuss EVER.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! That one is just well...IKKKKK!

"Push, Push in the Bush" by Musique is singularly atrocious.

I got so sick of the Bee Gees in the late 1970s that to this
day I am soured on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack
and, one year later in 1978 I got really sick of the Grease
soundtrack, although I started out liking it. I still don't like
Frankie V's "Grease (is the word)" and don't think he could
sing in a pick up truck.

Anything by Air Supply, the band I think is the wussiest one in creation.

I also hate "You Should Hear How She Talks About You" and I think "I'm Not lisa" is one of the wussiest, stinkiest ones ever. I also disliked 1975's "At 17" and thought it was just too stupidly maudlin.

I don't care for 1982's "Eye of the Tiger." That song really annoys me.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 02:51 PM   #54
beatlelover45223

there are lots of annoying songs mentioned, but I think
"Squeeze Box" has to be one of the worst pieces of swill I have ever heard.. I was having trouble coming up with one I detest, but Susan reminded me, another loser is "Little Nash Rambler" from the 50's (beep beep, my horn said beep,beep,beep)
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 09:24 PM   #55
Cecilia
Old Brown Shoe

Argh. I can't stand any cumbia.
Cecilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:14 PM   #56
Roxy Starkey
Sgt. Pepper

Send a message via MSN to Roxy Starkey

[ QUOTE ]
Cecilia Posted:
Argh. I can't stand any cumbia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I hate cumbia!!
Roxy Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 02:14 AM   #57
LovinLennon909
Taxman

[ QUOTE ]
Ailurophile Posted:
Sorry, one more thing about Johnny Rotten's little band. . . when you just feel like screaming because stupid EMI won't give us Beatle-fans what we want even though they KNOW what we want, when they keep giving us Let It Be Naked instead of the Quarrymen tape and all the demos of the songs the Beatles gave to other artists, instead of the mythic long version of Helter Skelter which we know they have, instead of Hollywood Bowl or the Christmas album on CD, instead of everything, then there is NOTHING better to do than crank up the Sex Pistols' "EMI" and break something with a stick.

[/ QUOTE ]
Amen to that! Oh, and I hate Queen's "We Will Rock You/Champions" medley. I hate each song played individually! (I normally like Queen.) Also mentioned: My Sharona (Knack) makes my hair stand on end and I grit my teeth in physical pain at the sound of that dreadful song. I also don't like the Stones's "You Can't Always Get What You Want," especially now that it's for a Coca-Cola commercial.
Obviously, today's fabricated pop weinies make me want to hurl. Didn't Christina change her name to X-Tina a while ago?
LovinLennon909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:41 AM   #58
beatlebangs1964

[ QUOTE ]
LovinLennon909 Posted:
Oh, and I hate Queen's "We Will Rock You/Champions" medley. I hate each song played individually! (I normally like Queen.) Also mentioned: My Sharona (Knack) makes my hair stand on end and I grit my teeth in physical pain at the sound of that dreadful song.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sick and tired of "We Will Rock You" and find it merely tiresome and annoying. As for the 1979 atrocity "My Sharona," I, too am in physical pain whenever I hear it. I hate it. It has the same effect on me. I also think the asinine "Name Game" and "I Want Candy" are hell for the hearing. OUCH!
Old Jul 28, 2004, 09:57 PM   #59
PotatoBeatle
Apple Scruff

[ QUOTE ]
Ailurophile Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
beatlebangs1964 Posted:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Never Mind The Bollocks" is a terrible album. It's extremely over-rated. Most of the songs are dull and vacant and horrible, just as you say, but . . . there are three great songs there. I think that "Holidays In The Sun", "God Save The Queen", and especially "Anarchy In the U.K." are good and not nihilistic and all. Holidays is simply absurdist and frantic, whereas God Save and Anarchy are simple political, anti-authoritarian statements. Lines like "I am an AntiChrist" (and Johnny Rotten's accompanying t-shirt) are simple sensationalism, and that shouldn't cover up the fact that some of their music is really good. There's a lot of energy and vitality there, and savage though it may be, it is not an evil energy. Especially they have these great warping, whirling bass-lines that meld perfectly with the guitar. I really dig those.

Of course I also have a thing for Johnny Rotten's voice, so that may be influencing me quite a bit, but I do understand the "discordant/naughty" part too, "Bodies" is just terrifying. It's just I think there was a genuine spark of genius there.

And I like the Ramones too. Much more positive vibes from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do like the Sex Pistols very much and I love their one and only album. (Yes ALL of it, sorry to the folks that don't) Some may see their place in the history of rock and roll as overrated, but the reason why they've received the attention is because they're probably the most widely recognized symbol of punk rock, and most people seem to believe that they were the first of the punk bands, which is a whole other argument in itself. And yes, loud, obscene, vacant (ahem, the song "Pretty Vacant"?) and "anti music" they were. The 1976-1977 punk movement had many reasons for why they were the way they were. One reason as to why they sounded agressive is because they wanted to try to get back to nitty gritty rock n'roll that anyone could learn to play as opposed to the progressive bands and super groups who at the time were dominating the charts and/or had strayed away from their original sound, and were distant from their fans by means of musical skill, physical accessibility, and attitude. I don't want to give the impression that I am knocking progressive bands as a whole, since I do love progressive rock.... But, I do agree about The Sex Pistols' sensationalism factor. After all, the Sex Pistols were almost a total fabrication of Malcom McLaren who owned the shop 'Sex', and who previously managed the New York Dolls. He was quite the enterprenuer and ideas man, (he was somehow involved with the Situationist International movement) and after the Pistols received a large amount of attention, I'm guessing here that his shop received a lot more business due to them. And in turn the Pistols made way for other less rude, more talented and more positive punk bands, (my personal favorite, The Clash ) and then some bands far more obscene and less skilled than the Pistols themselves.

Anyways, for songs I hate: anything by Blink 182 or Good Charlotte. I hate whiny 20-30 somethings that sound like 13 year old boys. I used to like Led Zeppelin and I still do a little, but the fact that they get overplayed in my area is starting to tick me off.
PotatoBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 06:30 PM   #60
twovirgins
Sun King

"where they Eagles fly" by john Ashcroft yes THAT john Ashcroft
twovirgins is offline   Reply With Quote