BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old May 05, 2012, 05:05 PM   #1881
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I had a documentary-style dream last night where I'm sitting there explaining a story about how I entered a recording studio one morning for a session with my band (which doesn't exist YET), and the owner comes up to me and is like, "Hey, were you guys expecting a phone call from someone?" And I'm like, "Not that I know of." And he goes, "Well, somebody pretty famous called in and said she's doing a new album and she wants to collaborate with some contemporary artists. She asked if you guys would be interested." So I say, "Who is it?" And he goes, "Yoko Ono." And according to me, I instantly said "I'm in."

And then it cut to Yoko and my band jamming in the studio in New York and having a blast. After the session is over, I'm sitting alone with Yoko at the mixing deck, asking her questions about her life with John, the 60s, the media, etc. And when I finally have to go, she gently grabs my hand and tells me how much she appreciated us coming out and she had a great time and she has something she'd like to give me. So of course I'm eager but nothing could have prepared me for what it was: she hands me a cassette tape and says it's an unfinished John demo--never been bootlegged or heard by anyone besides her and Sean--and asks if I would like to complete it. Naturally, I'm beyond honored and graciously accept the opportunity.

The entire, slow, SLOW plane ride back home seemed to almost play out in real time in the dream, because I was so anxious to listen to the tape. I finally get back to the studio and basically just run up to the machine and put the tape in, push play, and the song begins...

...but like 2 seconds in, the dream ends. It was such a cruel tease.

So John, if you're out there listening to this, please feel free to return to my dream world and let me hear the entire thing. I'll share the royalties, man, that's fine.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2012, 09:25 PM   #1882
hibgal
Sun King

Default Hardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
Actually, John was not born with bad eyesight... his eyes started going bad around the age of 7. Besides, of course he inherited the near-sighted and/or astigmatism trait... but how do you know that his myopia didn't manifest itself because of trauma? You can't prove that it didn't, can you?
Well, since myopia isn't in any way a new condition and has been studied by medicinal scientist for centuries without documenting a psychological link, then yes, it seems pretty certain it's physical. I've never heard of anyone becoming myopic due to trauma!

MOST people that are nearsighted are discovered to be thus around when they start school, which tallies with John's seven years of age. It's when you begin reading and have to cope with a blackboard far in front of you that myopia truly matters. Ask anyone with that eye condition and they will agree with that.

The Hey Jude line "Don't carry the world upon your shoulders" applies as much to John as it did to Julian. Instead of just accepting his myopia as something he couldn't help, he MUST start thinking it's mental and that he's somehow to blame. I hate when he did that to himself!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2012, 06:32 AM   #1883
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
Well, since myopia isn't in any way a new condition and has been studied by medicinal scientist for centuries without documenting a psychological link, then yes, it seems pretty certain it's physical. I've never heard of anyone becoming myopic due to trauma!

MOST people that are nearsighted are discovered to be thus around when they start school, which tallies with John's seven years of age. It's when you begin reading and have to cope with a blackboard far in front of you that myopia truly matters. Ask anyone with that eye condition and they will agree with that.

The Hey Jude line "Don't carry the world upon your shoulders" applies as much to John as it did to Julian. Instead of just accepting his myopia as something he couldn't help, he MUST start thinking it's mental and that he's somehow to blame. I hate when he did that to himself!
I absolutely agree with this; hibgal

My myopia started at school too and I often copied from my neighbour because I couldn't read properly on the blackboard. When I was 20 years old I just had to wear glasses while taking driving-lessons, although I hated it. I still hate wearing glasses (probably even more than John did), that's why I'm wearing lenses. Although neither of my parents suffer from myopia, I can't imagine that I'm myopic due to some mental causes or trauma.

Further, I think it's wrong to search for every physical illness or weakness a psychic explanation.

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2012, 07:54 AM   #1884
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
Okay, somewhere I mentioned that the New York Times refers to John as simply "Lennon" in some articles, even though their practice has been to refer to people previously mentioned as "Mr. So-and-So." I attribute this fact to John's iconic status... but who knows the real reason.

Anyway, check this paragraph out, which was culled from the Times' Neil Aspinall obituary:

Okay, before you go saying that maybe there's no Mr. in front of John because he's dead whereas "Mr. McCartney" is still alive, George is also referred to as "Mr. Harrison."

What say you?
Well, I don't know what to say....Don't know if not giving him the honorific "Mr." is a compliment or a sneer!

I am reminded, though, of something John said around the time he was being excoriorated for his relationship with Yoko and their peace campaign: "The problem, I s'ppose, is that I've spoilt me image. People want me to be cuddly. But I was never that. Even in school I was just 'Lennon.' I was never cuddly!"
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2012, 09:34 AM   #1885
Maia 66
Sun King

Well, if it was put-down or a sneer, then you'd expect them to do the same with Yoko, right? But they refer to her always as Ms. Ono.

I did a search... Gandhi is almost singularly referred to as simply Gandhi and MLK is called always Dr. King, which makes sense since he was a Dr. and it would come off as disrespectful, I suppose, to refer to him as just King.

So I like to think that John has officially reached that iconic status where we can acceptably refer to him as Lennon and everyone knows who we mean. After all, why is he the only Beatle that if you type just his surname in a Wikipedia search, it goes directly to his page not some disambiguation list? I can understand why that happens with George and Ringo, but how many famous McCartneys do we know?? (And that Jessie character doesn't count!)

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2012, 09:35 AM   #1886
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
"People want me to be cuddly. But I was never that. Even in school I was just 'Lennon.' I was never cuddly!"
He was the best type of cuddly... seemed rough on the outside, but really just a big softie.

All I want is the truth

Old May 06, 2012, 11:14 AM   #1887
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
So John, if you're out there listening to this, please feel free to return to my dream world and let me hear the entire thing.
Whenever I hear people describe their dreams in such detail, I'm quite jealous. My dreams tend to be these very impressionistic, non-linear kinds of things where images and ideas pop in and out in a vaguely connected fashion. They never have such intricate plot lines...

All I want is the truth

Old May 06, 2012, 02:20 PM   #1888
J.Winston.L
Nowhere Man

I have remorseful dreams quite alot.
Weather it be buyers remorse over a house or car or wrong life paths that I have chosen.
If it's not that it is the I'm naked in public dreams which is very common.
Also the falling dreams, weather it be falling down an elevator shaft or a well or a canyon, they are all similar.

Last edited by J.Winston.L : May 06, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
J.Winston.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2012, 05:39 PM   #1889
wildewoman
Taxman

Default Dreams....of cabbages and Kings

Well, MLK's last name is also a noun. And any grown male can be Mr., but it takes some effort to be a Doctor of anything.

I was just joking about it being a sneer... I think just referring to the man as "Lennon" does indicate iconic status. When they write about Elvis Presley, do they call Elvis "Mr. Presley" or just "Presley?" Or maybe they just call him "Elvis?" Anyone know?

I'm betting they just call him "Elvis." Elvis Costello, on the other hand, is probably referred to as Mr. Costello.

I have some vivid dreams but they rarely involve celebrities of any kind.
Old May 06, 2012, 05:47 PM   #1890
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:

So I think John's ideas weren't as "out there" as some of you may think. He just didn't study it deeply, so he articulated it superficially. John was a dilettante in that way... and I loved that about him, because he never claimed to be an expert, but he knew a little about a lot.
This. I completely agree. For most of John's "controversial" quotes, there's even just a grain of absolute truth- and sometimes it takes a little experience for me to see it. I understand what he was trying to say, just as I feel that his view on cancer being the result of some kind of inner pain that manifests itself in this way...he seemed to have a philosophy for so many things that many people just accept as plain fact. I love and deeply appreciate that about John. I don't always agree. But I love that he chose to consider this or that and didn't just accept whatever plate society handed him.
Old May 06, 2012, 05:51 PM   #1891
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:

Okay, before you go saying that maybe there's no Mr. in front of John because he's dead whereas "Mr. McCartney" is still alive, George is also referred to as "Mr. Harrison."

What say you?
John is an icon. I can walk through NYC for about 10 minutes and he is everywhere- physically and subconsciously. There is an...air of "Lennon" in that city. And John established himself on that level, not just because of his death, but because of his actions in his life. The things he said. The things he did. What he stood for. I'm sorry but I believe it firmly, as Keith Richards said it:

"There were the Beatles, and there was John. As a band, they were a great unit. But John, he was his own man."

And what a man indeed.
Old May 06, 2012, 05:59 PM   #1892
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Winston.L View Post
Maybe because the New York Times knew along that with Groucho Marx, John Lennon too was a communist.

That's what I claim on my FB page about my political philosophy, anyway!
Old May 06, 2012, 11:36 PM   #1893
constance
Nowhere Man

Just a random thing...

Today I saw a marquee for a local Italian restaurant that says "Give pizza chance."

lol
constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2012, 07:46 AM   #1894
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Actually, John was not born with bad eyesight... his eyes started going bad around the age of 7. Besides, of course he inherited the near-sighted and/or astigmatism trait... but how do you know that his myopia didn't manifest itself because of trauma? You can't prove that it didn't, can you?
Oh c'mon Maia, you don't want me to believe that John's eyes got suddenly worse at the age of 7, do you ? Unless you had any operation near the eye you are born with astigmatism and in most of the cases it's combined with myopia. You can look this up in the Wikipedia.

I read that Mimi noticed that John often stumbled when he learned to walk as a toddler and she brought him to the doctor when he was 5. He told her that he should wear glasses (of course John refused). Nowadays it's not a problem anymore, you can fix it at young age.

Besides, I don't have to prove that myopia manifests itself because of a trauma; I never heard about such cases. Actually, you are the one who has to prove that there exist some evidence for your speculation.

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2012, 07:50 AM   #1895
John's lover girl
Dr. Robert

Send a message via Yahoo to John's lover girl Send a message via Skype™ to John's lover girl

i dont knoe if this exactly fits here. but.

my boyfrined kinda looks lik john (revolver years) only with reder hair rather then just a touch of red

GINGERS HAVE SOULS
‎alchemy the science of understanding deconstructing and reconstructing matter however it is not an all powerful art it is impossible to create something out of nothing is one wishes to obtain something something of equal value must be given. this is the law of equivalent exchange. the bases of all alchemy in accordance with this law there is a taboo among alchemists human transmutation is strictly forbidden for what could be the value of a human soul- full metal alchemist
John's lover girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2012, 05:01 PM   #1896
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
Oh c'mon Maia, you don't want me to believe that John's eyes got suddenly worse at the age of 7, do you ?
Yes, I DO expect you to buy it... because it's true. And, as someone who suffers from myopia herself (though not nearly as serious as John), I can tell you that MY near-sightedness came on very suddenly... at age 16! In fact, very few people are myopic from infancy... the vast majority of us develop it in childhood, in adolescence, or even in adulthood.... some people as late as their 40s or 50s!

Look it up. It's a FACT.

And I don't have to prove anything... because I just feel it's possible. YOU are the one who is CERTAIN... and if you're gonna be certain about your opinions, then you better have some evidence to back it up!

All I want is the truth

Old May 07, 2012, 07:21 PM   #1897
wildewoman
Taxman

Touche!

Hey, I lost 60% of my hearing in my left ear overnight, not due to anything in particular! (No, I didn't have some loud noise suddenly go off next to my ear the night prior!) I had onset of myopia and astigmatism at age 12.
Old May 08, 2012, 04:27 AM   #1898
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Yes, I DO expect you to buy it... because it's true. And, as someone who suffers from myopia herself (though not nearly as serious as John), I can tell you that MY near-sightedness came on very suddenly... at age 16! In fact, very few people are myopic from infancy... the vast majority of us develop it in childhood, in adolescence, or even in adulthood.... some people as late as their 40s or 50s!
Due to emotional trauma? That's the main point here.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2012, 01:34 PM   #1899
Mike Tree
Fool On The Hill

Default John's poor eyesight

I was diagnosed as myopic at age 4. Unlike John, however, scarlet fever at two years old caused my condition. When I started working for him in 1976 I wore round metal frame glasses. But I didn't want to seem like a copycat (which I was), so I quickly changed to clear plastic frames. About two years later, John changed to plastic frames and I immediately went back to wearing metal frames. Kinda' funny! I didn't realize all this until after his death, when I started writing about my experiences at the Dakota.

http://barefootinnutopia.com/Barefoo...a/Nutopia.html

Last edited by Mike Tree : May 08, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
Mike Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 09:54 AM   #1900
wildewoman
Taxman

Default My mom's myopia & astigmatism was caused by measles...

or so she said. But then I seem to have inherited poor eyesight from her, and I never had measles, so who knows?

I think there is such a thing as a mind-body connection, but I don't know if it's as obvious as John's statement on myopia made it sound. If one has major stress or went through some sort of trauma, emotional and/or otherwise, the body expends a great deal of energy that then is not used to perhaps keep other bodily functions in check. Of course, John's early life was rather stressful and emotionally confusing. If one is genetically predisposed to poor eyesight anyway, the energy one expends on just trying to cope with stressors might weaken whatever it is that is keeping your eyesight sharp.

My myopia/astigmatism surfaced during puberty, which is pretty darn stressful physically and emotionally. So maybe that had something to do with it.

However. I don't think any amount of therapy's gonna change it! I've been in therapy and I still need glasses!