BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:19 AM   #2061
wildewoman
Taxman

Default That's the one!

Well, I was way off on the event--it was a birthday celebration for Shimon Peres. Not UNICEF. That Liel is a lovely young woman, but I think Bubba likes his woman a little....fluffier...than she is.

Amusing to see him blush, though.

--Oscar Wilde, The Critic as Artist
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:37 PM   #2062
Maia 66
Sun King

Here are two interesting photos of John circa 1974.

The first one... is it backstage at the March of Dimes thing? Guess I hadn't realized Yoko was there. John was still with May at the time.

And the second one is interesting because it was apparently not taken the night that John went to The Coliseum for Monday Night Football.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:09 AM   #2063
Fly
Dr. Robert

This thread never fails to impress me. Maia, where do you FIND this stuff? I love those two pictures and the first in particular. Yoko was with John even when he was separated from her. How you like them apples, Snoopy?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:43 PM   #2064
Maia 66
Sun King

Thanks, Fly! Sooooo good to see you, even if you're only just buzzing by!

I know, that first photo trips me out... Yoko and John together in April of '74. I've done some digging around and can't find any references of them being together. But this photo is definitely from '74 and John and Harry are wearing the same clothes as the March of Dimes thing. Just goes to show they didn't really want to be apart...

All I want is the truth

Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:04 PM   #2065
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I love that you posted that photo of John and Yoko in 1974. It speaks volumes. I know people want to buy every word verbatim in May's book, but I for one look at the actual life events and John's own words before any of these people. John and Yoko ended their separation and he took a break from the music world to redirect his focus. Whatever theories we may have about those years, John obviously thrived as a parent- or else all the audio/video/photographs, and Sean's precious recollections must be the grandest PR scam ever attempted.

Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:56 PM   #2066
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
That's not the only video where Big Bill & John intersect...
Omg, I just found the weirdest video where they intersect yet AGAIN! [Warning: Video is pretty lame.]

All I want is the truth

Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:48 PM   #2067
wildewoman
Taxman

Hey! I just dropped by to say hi, ya'll...Great to see that 1974 photo! Nice to see Fly stop by.

I've got nothing to say, but it's ok... just wanted to say hello.

Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:05 AM   #2068
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
John and Yoko ended their separation and he took a break from the music world to redirect his focus. Whatever theories we may have about those years, John obviously thrived as a parent- or else all the audio/video/photographs, and Sean's precious recollections must be the grandest PR scam ever attempted.
I think that John grew up and became mature while taking a break from the music-business and taking care of Sean. Those 5 years were an important stage of life for him. I'm sure that if John had lived he would have grown up entirely to an independant and self-assured man and would have cut that umbilical cord, (which was already frayed at the end of the 70's), related to Yoko for good.

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:15 PM   #2069
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
I've got nothing to say, but it's ok... just wanted to say hello.
°Hola, chica! Good to see you, especially in this thread.

All I want is the truth

Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:27 PM   #2070
Maia 66
Sun King

I was listening to a radio interview of John from August of '74, and I found one part especially fascinating.

Quote:
JOHN: Iím not against performing. There was a period when I was ready to go on the road and then this immigration started and I just got so pressured by it all. It was, itís, it was a lot more pressure than people see in the papers. "Heís either appealing or heís gonna be kicked out." Thereís a lot more that goes on behind the scenes and it just wore me out. And then thereís The Beatlesís settlement and all that. I just did not feel like standing up and yodeling, you know. Iíd have to feel in a good mood to do it, you know. I mean, the moneyís there and the possibilities are there. Itís, you know, I like to put my mind on something and I canít if Iím being harassed, and thatís what was going on for a bit.

Q: Do you have, then, the appetite for making some kind of a tour, assuming that other things can be resolved?

JOHN: Yeah, uh, I donít know about a tour, you know. Iíd have to be in the mood, have a record, and go out and sell it. I mean, thatís what itís all about. But itís, uhóI like performing, you knowóbut itís just such a big thing, a Beatle performing, you know. Like, George is going. Oh, Iíll watch how he does it and Iíll see him at the end of it and say, "Still all right, are ya?" Thereís no hurry, you know. I donít feel as though thereís any hurry.

Q: Are you going to, uh, are you planning any television, any type of appearances? I think you were on the Cavett show. Thatís almost a year ago now.

JOHN: Yeah, well, I had fun doing those talk shows, and Mike Douglas and things like that. Did Mike Douglas for a whole week, you know, just to see what it was like. And itís interesting; I enjoy TVóthereís a bit too many Dos and Donítsóbut itís still my favorite medium, actually. And TVís another thing, you know, thereís always that closed circuit bit. Thereís lots of interesting sorts of offers and things in the wind, but none of them have just hooked me enough.

Q: Have you had offers to do a one-hour special?

JOHN: Oh, yeah. Thereís millions of offers, you know, but itís just getting the one thatís really interesting. Apart from just the cash, you know, just artistically. I mean, whatís the point of just going on to just do a showójust to show myself? You know, I could just walk on Johnny Carson and sit there to show myself. I like to have some angle to it.
I had always wondered why there was very little talk of a tour in support of Walls and Bridges. I know that, in discussing the MSG appearance with Elton, there has been this line of thinking that John had been suffering from a lack of confidence after STINYC's poor public reaction (is that just an interpretation or did John actually say something along those lines?), but I can't recall ever hearing about the effects of the immigration case as playing such a large role. This interview gives you a real look into John's mindset at the time.

Also, it's heartbreaking... "I donít feel as though thereís any hurry."

And how cool it would have been had John had his own TV show. He would've figured out some cool angle by now, for sure. And I'm sure it would've been hilarious and high-tech.

All I want is the truth

Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:18 PM   #2071
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
I was listening to a radio interview of John from August of '74, and I found one part especially fascinating.

I had always wondered why there was very little talk of a tour in support of Walls and Bridges. I know that, in discussing the MSG appearance with Elton, there has been this line of thinking that John had been suffering from a lack of confidence after STINYC's poor public reaction (is that just an interpretation or did John actually say something along those lines?), but I can't recall ever hearing about the effects of the immigration case as playing such a large role. This interview gives you a real look into John's mindset at the time.

Also, it's heartbreaking... "I donít feel as though thereís any hurry."

And how cool it would have been had John had his own TV show. He would've figured out some cool angle by now, for sure. And I'm sure it would've been hilarious and high-tech.
I think John's lack of confidence in the live area can be attributed to a number of factors. I have given this a little thought and, well, here's what I think:

1. Performing as John Lennon as opposed to Beatle John- although he was undoubtedly one of the most charismatic men to ever live, and he always appeared cooler than everyone in the room, confident/brazen/a Boss in every situation, I think John was legit scared at the idea of being seen only as himself vs. going on stage with the other three. John's greatest gift was not in the live show domain- though he was capable of incredible and moving performances (think "Mother" from MSG live in NYC show- have your jaws dropped?). I think he was far too intimate for that type of setting, and then of course the very idea of not having that security blanket of P, G, R and just being awed and adored for being John...that is a huge task. And with his type of nervous energy, in my opinion, it was a challenge.

2. The stage fright- I'm sure we all know by now this was one of John's weaknesses. It can be very serious and cause a lot of absolute terror in a person when they are so paralyzed with fear of going up on stage that they are sweating profusely, vomiting, nearly about to either have a seizure or pass out (or both) in those moments before embarking on stage. Maybe the thought of it was enough to put him off.

3. The public/media's view on J&Y- I think he was also kind of put off by the fact that so much of the publicity he attained in conjunct with Yoko was completely negative towards her. For John, in my opinion, it was such a vital thing that people loved the people whom he loved- or at least tried to understand them. Obviously, it was never really an issue before Yoko. The other three Beatles whom he considered like brothers were universally adored as well, and Cynthia was left alone by and large. But with Yoko, there was such a harsh public opinion. People voiced their outrage and disgust, spewed racial taunts, pointed fingers and laughed, completely hated...I mean, Yoko was basically vilified. I think this hurt John in a very deep way. I almost feel like it could be a thread unto itself because I feel that the Yoko hate brought John down mentally/emotionally/psychologically in a lot of ways. And obviously his confidence took a huge blow. All of a sudden, people went from admiring nearly everything he did to judging/side-eying him and questioning his sanity. John could say all he wanted otherwise, I think people's feelings towards Yoko really scarred him.

4. All that other mess- The fallout from STINYC, his abrupt move to a new location, the immigration ordeal, all the Beatles mess...I think it took it's toll on him in many ways. And I think he felt just a 'smidgen' overwhelmed by the idea of live shows/touring when he had been out of that game for some time. Not to mention Paul and his 1970s take-over-the-world live show finesse. I guess John felt a tad...oh, out of his element.

Those are just my thoughts. I wish John had a radio show, a TV show, a book deal...he was so amazing in practically every medium he attempted. And I know his post-1980 tour would have been magnificent.

Don't get me started on what we missed out on. Here come those tears again...
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:12 PM   #2072
Maia 66
Sun King

You bring up excellent points, Scruffie, and I tend to agree with them all. I think #1 had a huge part in his decision-making and in his ever-growing lack of confidence in being able to successfully mount a tour. In this interview, where he talks about waiting until George was done with his tour... I think he was touching upon that issue.

But I also think we really see another glimpse in this interview... that he just didn't have the psychic energy. I think if someone around him had encouraged him and pumped him up to do a tour, he'd probably have sucked it up and gone through with it on some level... if it weren't for the fact that the negativity of all the legal s#!t he was going through drained him of much of his confidence and energy. I think he really felt under attack and he needed to conserve most of his energy to be able to fight back... John was never good at spreading himself thin. I'm beginning to think that all the legal stuff (immigration, end of Beatles) affected him a lot more than is generally thought.

All I want is the truth

Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:18 PM   #2073
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
People voiced their outrage and disgust, spewed racial taunts, pointed fingers and laughed, completely hated...I mean, Yoko was basically vilified. I think this hurt John in a very deep way. I almost feel like it could be a thread unto itself because I feel that the Yoko hate brought John down mentally/emotionally/psychologically in a lot of ways.
That's a great point... and you should start a thread about it!

All I want is the truth

Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:11 AM   #2074
VersusBatman
Sun King

The title of Stephan King's book "The Shining" was inspired by the song "Instant Karma" from the line "We all shine on..."

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:35 PM   #2075
Maia 66
Sun King

^ Very cool... I don't think I knew that.

All I want is the truth

Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:48 PM   #2076
wildewoman
Taxman

I read that in some article about Stephen King awhile back. I can't quite figure out how a lyric from Instant Karma inspired a novel about some crazed alcoholic writer going mad in a mountain resort hotel, but I guess you never know....

Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:40 AM   #2077
VersusBatman
Sun King

I think it's because King decided to call the psychic powers the little boy had the Shining.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:27 PM   #2078
Maia 66
Sun King

NEW TOPIC: Hello, people! Isn't that letter to Eric Clapton that's now up for auction rather significant?! I mean, who knew he had asked Eric to forn a new band in '71? Kind of a fresh addition to Beatles history. Maybe not as significant as when Paul bought the acetate of In Spite of All the Danger, but it is quite revealing.

John wanted to be in a band again. Who knows how serious he was... and how long the two of them could have lasted. John was a bit mercurial... and so was Eric! But I find it a fascinating little twist.

All I want is the truth

Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:38 PM   #2079
Maia 66
Sun King

ANOTHER NEW TOPIC: Just read this bit from a recent Hunter Davies interview:

Quote:
I recently discovered, for example, the origin of the phrase ďI am the egg manĒ, used by John in the song ďI Am the WalrusĒ. It seems it referred to another well-known singer of the time with whom John had indulged himself at the expense of groupies and whose speciality was giving drugs to young girls, stripping them naked, then breaking eggs over their bodies.
wtf?! True? Wonder who this other well-known singer was... Mick?

All I want is the truth

Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:42 PM   #2080
Maia 66
Sun King

Okay... in case anyone reads in here, I thought I'd post my sad thoughts on this 32nd anniversary ('cuz I know Scruffie doesn't want any morose postings in her very positive thread), but I was just thinking about the tragedy from John's perspective.

We talk a lot about how his death affected us, what a personal loss it has been, and what a tragic loss for the world. I'm just sad that someone as beautiful and sensitive as John had to leave the world in such a terrible way.

Okay, back to positive....

All I want is the truth