BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Jun 17, 2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Maia 66
Sun King

Default Random John-Related Discussions

We need a thread to discuss random John-related topics and issues.

I'd like to start with this question: It has been suggested by different sources that John may have actually had a "thing" for Astrid, but because of his devotion to Stu, he never pursued it; rather, he just suffered in silence and wrote Baby's in Black for her. Or that maybe he DID try to pursue it and she rejected him.

Personally, I'm not sure what I think... although it definitely makes sense that he would fancy her. She was sort of his dream girl type, after all. Beautiful (and blonde a la Bardot), arty, bohemian, a strong woman.

Any thoughts on the matter?

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Funny you brought that subject up Maia (great thread idea by the way!)...I just came across an adorable pic of John and Astrid:

I think he most likely had a thing for her but it may have been more of just a physical attraction than anything, although she was an artist and he seemed to aspire for that in a partner. I think, due to the fact that his best friend was in love with her, he didn't try anything. I think those stories- like perhaps the underlying tension in the film Backbeat- are trying to add more to their relationship than there really was.

I think Astrid definitely loved John, but more like a brother. She speaks very highly of him so I'm pretty sure he never attempted anything other than innocent flirtation. But, you know, that is just my opinion.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Maia 66
Sun King

I think you're spot on. You pretty much articulated exactly what I think on the subject.

Ok, so next topic, I guess. Do you think John would have ever recorded with Dylan? I think that would have been a cool collaboration in, like, the 90s/early 00s.

All I want is the truth

Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:03 PM   #4
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
I think you're spot on. You pretty much articulated exactly what I think on the subject.

Ok, so next topic, I guess. Do you think John would have ever recorded with Dylan? I think that would have been a cool collaboration in, like, the 90s/early 00s.
I would have LOVED John and Bob to collaborate in the late 90's/early 00's because I love that gritty, old-man, blues stuff and I think John would have been a %$#*# AWESOME old man. He would have just been too cool, much like Bob. OMG, it could have been fab. There aren't enough words...

And I would have loved old John to collaborate with old Lou Reed and possibly have Laurie Anderson and Yoko out there and do some kind of Plastic Ono Band show with people like Mark Ronson and the Black Keys playing along.

I'm so out there with my ideas for old John. lol!

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Jun 17, 2011 at 10:05 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 05:48 AM   #5
the ninth walrus
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via Yahoo to the ninth walrus

John Lennon=sexy

there's nothing like an afternoon of drinking homemade butter milk and listing to old music.

sǝɯıʇ ʇɐ ǝɟıl

me i'm part Irish
the ninth walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 08:11 AM   #6
Maia 66
Sun King

Yes, he was... end of discussion.

All I want is the truth

Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:19 AM   #7
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Yes, he was... end of discussion.

I think I'm inspired to make a thread about John's physical allure...yay!
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I've always been curious about the whole aspect of John having stage fright. It's interesting to the extent that he was plagued by it because I was reading recently about the recording artist Adele (love her) and how she is often paralyzed with stage fright. Well, someone linked to
This Article that had this quote:
Quote:
Even by it’s very rarity, it carries a certain kind of excitement to it. I am talking about the absolutely debilitating effects, you know, like hearing about how John Lennon would throw up before a concert! I am talking about the “scared to death” kind of feelings. I am talking about things that makes us play worse, not better.
And it made me recall several incidents where John admitted to having severe stage fright, like the Live Peace In Toronto concert and when he performed with Elton John. I often wonder if this was normal for him or if it was the onset of having to perform without his three closest friends on stage with him? I think I only read a few incidences where he was that nervous in the Beatles, but I could be off.

Strange how the last people you'd imagine are the ones who are the most nervous.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:27 PM   #9
Maia 66
Sun King

It seems like his worst cases of stage fright occurred when he was unsure how he would be received. Like in Toronto and in Madison Square Garden... he wasn't sure if people were going to be happy to see him on stage. (What an insecure twit our Johnny could be!) Elton John and others who were there that amazing Thanksgiving night have said that John received the loudest, longest, wildest reception they had ever heard when he stepped out on stage. It's sad that John didn't always know how deeply people felt affection and admiration for him!

All I want is the truth

Last edited by Maia 66 : Jun 18, 2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:02 AM   #10
ChrisG134
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
I've always been curious about the whole aspect of John having stage fright. It's interesting to the extent that he was plagued by it because I was reading recently about the recording artist Adele (love her) and how she is often paralyzed with stage fright. Well, someone linked to
This Article that had this quote:

And it made me recall several incidents where John admitted to having severe stage fright, like the Live Peace In Toronto concert and when he performed with Elton John. I often wonder if this was normal for him or if it was the onset of having to perform without his three closest friends on stage with him? I think I only read a few incidences where he was that nervous in the Beatles, but I could be off.

Strange how the last people you'd imagine are the ones who are the most nervous.
This got me thinking about Bruce Springsteen(my other true love)and how he isn't the least bit nervous on stage,but he's nervous in interviews on T.V.While John is the oppisite. Totally cool and calm in interviews,but nervous as hell on stage.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 05:30 PM   #11
wallrus59
Bulldog

have y'all seen nowhere boy?

gk.

wallrus59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 05:35 PM   #12
Maia 66
Sun King

Yup... I own it. Saw it in the theater as well. I dig it. A lot of people I know who don't know that much about JL have all told me how much they love that film and how it made them understand him more.

All I want is the truth

Old Jun 18, 2011, 05:39 PM   #13
wallrus59
Bulldog

thank you, you put me over the edge...i was gonna wait and see it when it made it to cable or whatever...but i will be buying the dvd now.

gk.

Old Jun 18, 2011, 05:56 PM   #14
Maia 66
Sun King

You're gonna love it (I'm pretty sure)... visually, it's beautiful. It's very 1950s Liverpool, but with a bit more color. And Aaron Johnson did a great job. The scene of John and Paul meeting for the first time is done sooooo well, and I love when they sing In Spite of All the Danger. Plus, Kristin Scott Thomas was awesome ("John, your little friend's here!"), as was the actress who played Julia... completely captured her spirit.

All I want is the truth

Last edited by Maia 66 : Jun 18, 2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 06:27 PM   #15
wallrus59
Bulldog

Quote:
You're gonna love it (I'm pretty sure)... visually, it's beautiful. It's very 1950s Liverpool, but with a bit more color. And Aaron Johnson did a great job. The scene of John and Paul meeting for the first time is done sooooo well, and I love when they sing In Spite of All the Danger. Plus, Kristin Scott Thomas was awesome ("John, your little friend's here!"), as was the actress who played Julia... completely captured her spirit.
i've watched some of it. can you believe someone has already split it up in segments and posted it on youtube?

gk.

Old Jun 18, 2011, 06:45 PM   #16
Apple Scruff
Sun King

"Nowhere Boy" is fantastic. I want to turn it on to all my non-John/Beatles friends just because it's that well-done and interesting. I saw it in the theatre the day of it's release (I was totally commemorating John's 70th that whole month) and it was packed and everyone was really into it. I love KST, AM-D, and AJ as actors and they did FABULOUS. It gets two thumbs up from me and now I'm obsessed with...

"Hello Little Girl"

Ok? How great is that song. You know this has to be one of the most amazing songwriters to ever live when his first song is THAT good.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 07:03 PM   #17
Maia 66
Sun King

Patricia Inder (the woman from this thread) claimed that the song was written for her.... lucky li'l Scouse!

Ok, you reminded me of a new topic that I wanted to discuss:

Who do you think were John's biggest influences musically? My feeling is that Chuck Berry was probably one of the most influential. Chuck Berry is known as rock 'n' roll's first poet, and his lyrics are pretty awesome when you think about it. Very clever, and they reveal his sensitivity and intelligence... and a naughty whimsy.

All I want is the truth

Old Jun 18, 2011, 07:10 PM   #18
wallrus59
Bulldog

i got to go w/ E...just because of john was known to have said something like no elvis, no beatles....elvis made him want to be a star. so i think he's the biggest influence. but chuck, little richard, fats domino, buddy holly, all those early guys even ike turner.

gk.

Old Jun 18, 2011, 08:52 PM   #19
wallrus59
Bulldog

definitely live aid, i think he would have wanted to help feed people starving...and feel he would have gone along w/ sir bob and asked the world's governments to please see that the aid gets to the people it's for.

gk.

Old Jun 18, 2011, 08:57 PM   #20
wallrus59
Bulldog

cobain was a huge lennon fan and i see something possibly there and who knows maybe he could have helped him w/ the "fame" that he could not deal with.

gk.