BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Act Naturally

Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Maia 66
Sun King

Default Magical Mystery Tour DVD

http://beatles.com/#/news/Roll_up_Roll_up_The_Beatles

Finally... the new Magical Mystery Tour release! I'm excited about the special features on the DVD of this restored cinematic masterpiece. There's a Director's Commentary by Paul, deleted scenes, outtakes, new song edits, etc. Should be exciting!

I've pre-ordered mine. Got the Boxed Deluxe Edition (oo la la!) with a 60-page book and a 7" vinyl EP! Very cool packaging, it seems.

I know I'm in the minority around here, but I love MMT. It's no Citizen Kane, mind you, but it's a helluva lot of fun with some great songs and a little dose of '67 whimsy/pre-Python madness.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Maia 66
Sun King

...and, um, yes... the choice of the word "dose" was intentional.

All I want is the truth

Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:48 AM   #3
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

I'm not into the movie one bit. It's dreadful. But the 7" ep remastered in mono for vinyl makes this very exciting. Considering how bad the movie is, I can't imagine finding any interest in the stuff they cut out of it.

So now can we get around to finally re issuing Let it Be?
Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:29 AM   #4
Maia 66
Sun King

And I find Let it Be to be dreadful... save for the rooftop scene, of course. To me, it's excruciatingly dull and depressing.

All I want is the truth

Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

When did "depressing" ever discourage people from enjoying something? Wasn't every movie from the 70's depressing? Deer Hunter, Jeremiah Johnson, Saturday Night Fever, Cuckoos Nest, Godfathet, etc.

Anyway, more to your point Maia, what makes my case worse is that I'll actually buy MMT. AGAIN!

Last edited by Colonel Angus : Aug 23, 2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
what makes my case worse is that I'll actually buy MMT. AGAIN!
lol ~ And you will enjoy it! At least a little.

All I want is the truth

Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:21 AM   #7
Uncle_Albert
Day Tripper

Uncle_Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:42 PM   #8
Maia 66
Sun King

^ Looks pretty!

All I want is the truth

Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:58 AM   #9
TheEggman
Nowhere Man

Hopefully the extras will be interesting. In fact they will be to me anyway.Period. But please why do they have to call it 'classic'! On the facebook post they called it 'classic Beatles movie'. I guess that's just the world we live in...people just coming out with anykinda blather to make things seem how they want them to be totally unconcerned about how much or little that relates to reality!
TheEggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:28 PM   #10
beatlelover45223

This is another of the Beatles movies that was talked about in college in their film classes, perhaps that where "Classic"" comes into play?

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:57 AM   #11
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

It's a classic. It's a bad movie, but it is the Beatles together, in color, and performing I Am the Walrus. It's probably the worst movie that I've seen a dozen times.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:32 PM   #12
beatlelover45223

Wink

I don't care for the movie either!

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:10 AM   #13
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I actually dont mind it. i watch it for the music and certain bits in there are amusing. So yeah, I'll want it when it comes out. The basic DVD anyway, I dont need the full box set.

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:48 AM   #14
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Cool

I don't like the plot of the movie either, but I enjoy the videos of the songs in it ... no question, some of them are classics indeed.

The Boxed Deluxe edition looks interesting, especially the book

Well, I think I will pre-order this "masterpiece" as well

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:32 PM   #15
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Official press release...
---------------

ROLL UP ROLL UP FOR THE MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR!

THE BEATLES’ CLASSIC 1967 FEATURE FILM RESTORED FOR
DVD AND BLU-RAY RELEASE ON OCTOBER 9TH

London – August 22, 2012 – Songs you’ll never forget, the film you’ve never seen, and a story that’s never been heard. In 1967, in the wake of the extraordinary impact of the Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album and the One World satellite broadcast of All You Need Is Love, The Beatles devised, wrote, and directed their third film, Magical Mystery Tour, a dreamlike story of a coach day trip to the seaside. Apple Films has fully restored the long out-of-print, classic feature film for October 9th on DVD and Blu-ray with a remixed soundtrack (5.1 and stereo) and special features.

Magical Mystery Tour will be available in DVD and Blu-ray packages, and in a special 10”x10” boxed deluxe edition. The deluxe edition includes both the DVD and Blu-ray, as well as a 60-page book with background information, photographs and documentation from the production, and a faithful reproduction of the mono double 7” vinyl EP of the film’s six new Beatles songs, originally issued in the UK to complement the film’s 1967 release.

The restoration of Magical Mystery Tour has been overseen by Paul Rutan Jr. of Eque Inc., the same company that handled the much acclaimed restoration of Yellow Submarine. The soundtrack work was done at Abbey Road Studios by Giles Martin and Sam Okell.

All of the packages contain a host of special features, packed with unseen footage. There are newly-filmed interviews with Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, and other members of the film’s cast and crew, as well as a director’s audio commentary recorded by Paul.

In September 1967, The Beatles loaded a film crew onto a bus, along with friends, family and cast, and headed west on the A30 out of London to make their third film, this time conceived and directed by The Beatles themselves.

“Paul said, ‘Look, I’ve got this idea,’ and we said ‘Great!’ and all he had was this circle and a little dot on the top – that’s where we started,” explains Ringo. “It wasn’t the kind of thing where you could say, ‘Ladies and gentlemen, what you are about to see is the product of our imaginations and believe me, at this point they are quite vivid’,” says Paul. The film follows a loose narrative and showcased six new songs: “Magical Mystery Tour,” “The Fool On The Hill,” “I Am The Walrus,” “Flying,” “Blue Jay Way,” and “Your Mother Should Know.”

Magical Mystery Tour features a fabulous supporting cast of character actors and performers, including Ivor Cutler, Victor Spinetti, Jessie Robins, Nat Jackley, Derek Royle, and the inimitable Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.

Although the 53-minute film was shot in glorious color, it premiered on UK television in black and white. Broadcast by BBC1 at 8:35pm on Boxing Day, the film immediately attracted widespread controversy as middle England and the establishment media erupted with indignation. “How dare they?” they cried, “They’re not film directors! Who do they think they are?” they howled. Where were the four loveable moptops of Help! and A Hard Day’s Night? Those Beatles were out of control!

Partly as an upshot of this adverse reaction, the film never had a US broadcast and very limited distribution in the rest of the world.

Operating at the time as the world’s de facto “cultural mission control,” The Beatles were already influencing filmmakers, artists, and musicians, while also drawing inspiration from their contemporaries.

Apple Films and EMI have partnered with Omniverse Vision, the leading distributor of music events to cinemas worldwide, to bring exclusive showings of Magical Mystery Tour to the big screen for the first time. Screenings will take place in selected cinemas from September 27th in the UK, US, Canada, Australia, Italy, Japan, and other countries worldwide. Once confirmed, full listings will be available at www.thebeatles.com. In addition, The British Film Institute has announced a special screening of Magical Mystery Tour at BFI Southbank on October 2nd. Tickets are now available from the BFI website.

www.thebeatles.com

THE CAST
John John Lennon
Paul Paul McCartney
George George Harrison
Ringo Ringo Starr
Mr. Bloodvessel Ivor Cutler
Ringo’s Aunt Jessie Robins
Army Sergeant Victor Spinetti
Jolly Jimmy Derek Royle
Rubber Man Nat Jackley
Band in Strip Club The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band

Made in England by The Beatles

Director of Photography Richard Starkey

MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR SPECIAL FEATURES

Director’s Commentary – by Paul McCartney

“The Making of Magical Mystery Tour” [19:05]
- Features interviews with Paul and Ringo, along with other cast members and crew. Includes unseen footage.

“Ringo the Actor” [2:30]
- Ringo Starr reflecting on his role in the film.

“Meet the Supporting Cast” [11:27]
- A feature on the background and careers of Nat Jackley, Jessie Robins, Ivor Cutler, The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, Victor Spinetti, George Claydon, and Derek Royle.

“Your Mother Should Know” [2:35]
“Blue Jay Way” [3:53]
“The Fool On The Hill” [3:05]
- Three new edits of these performances, all featuring footage not seen in the original film.

“Hello Goodbye,” as featured on “Top of the Pops” - 1967 [3:24]
- The Beatles allowed the BBC to film them in the edit suite where they were working on Magical Mystery Tour. This was then turned into a promo by the BBC, who shot their own additional footage. It was then broadcast on “Top of the Pops” to mark the “Hello Goodbye” single going to No. 1 in December 1967.

“Nat’s Dream” [2:50]
- A scene directed by John featuring Nat Jackley and not included in the original film.

Ivor Cutler – “I’m Going In A Field” [2:35]
- Ivor performs “I’m Going In A Field,” in a field. This scene was not included in the original film.

Traffic – “Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush” [1:53]
- The filming of Traffic acting out their 1967 hit single “Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush” was commissioned by The Beatles for possible inclusion in Magical Mystery Tour, but was not included in the final edit.

TECHNICAL SPECS

Aspect ratio – 1.33:1
Frame rate – 1080i 59.94

Audio Options
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Dolby Digital 5.1
PCM stereo for Blu-ray
Dolby Digital for DVD

Subtitle language options for feature, extras, and commentary:
English; Français; Deutsch; Español; Italiano; Português; Nederlande; Svenska; Norsk; Dansk; Suomi

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:21 AM   #16
Maia 66
Sun King

Is it time to re-evaluate the Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour?

This passage captures my basic feeling about the film:

Quote:
And yet, and yet. To its devotees, Magical Mystery Tour may be flawed, but it has plenty of merit: if it spurns the imperatives of storytelling and simple coherence, that stands as proof of the Beatles' creative bravery and their understanding of countercultural cinema. "For me," says Scorsese in the Arena documentary, "the freedom of the picture was very important."

All I want is the truth

Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:49 PM   #17
johnnymain
Mr. Moonlight

For those in the UK, here is some information about the BBC Arena programme being aired tomorow night (Saturday 6th October) which will then be followed by a newly rematered version of the film:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/pro...tery-tour.html

www.metaltalk.net for Daily Metal News, Reviews and Opinions
johnnymain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:53 PM   #18
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Just went through most of the new Blu-ray. Pretty amazing restoration, it's so nice to finally have this on DVD. I was never a huge fan of the movie, but the music carries the day, as it should. If you take out the music sequences, it's really only a 30 or 40 minute movie at most.

I really liked the special features. There's a good 20 minute "making of" feature, with recent Paul and Ringo interviews, and lots of rare pictures and clips from the movie. Then there are three new music videos - Your Mother Should Know, Blue Jay Way, The Fool On The Hill - all made with unreleased footage, completely different from the scenes in the movie. There's a video for Hello Goodbye using some cool footage of The Beatles editing the film reels. A few deleted scenes from the movie are included too.

The one feature I'll have to watch later is the full movie with McCartney's commentary on top. I scanned through a few scenes, and he had some good stories and memories, I'm sure it's worth watching. One thing I must say, and I'm curious if anybody else notices - does McCartney sound a little off? I don't know, to me it sounds like something is wrong with his mouth, or maybe his teeth. He just doesn't sound at all like he should. I know he's getting up there, and maybe he was singing all night before he recorded his commentary. But something just isn't right.

Anyway, it's been a pretty good few months, with MMT and Yellow Submarine finally remastered and put on DVD at long last. Let It Be is the final project they need to tackle, I can imagine a nice set with tons of extra footage.

Last edited by Jerry : Oct 10, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:55 AM   #19
SleepyHead
Sun King

i order mmt (dvd only) in aug - it came in 9 oct - and today were watching it... its fun!!!

Granny
Proud and loving wife to Grandpa Bearkat

SleepyHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:42 AM   #20
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
I can imagine a nice set with tons of extra footage.
Let's hope! I'm not expecting much, that way I'll be happily surprised if they actually come through and give us something we haven't seen already in bootleg form.

All I want is the truth