BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Jul 05, 2002, 05:32 AM   #1
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

Default Ram - 1971

New LP of the week... go and listen to it!

Label Apple
Catalogue No. PAS 10003
Release date 21st May 1971
Total time 43:14
U.K. Album Chart Detail : Entry Date : 5th June 1971
Highest Position : 1 ... from 5th June 1971 for 2 weeks
Weeks in Chart : 24

Detail

Paul second album release, and credited to Paul and Linda McCartney.
Sleeve notes include Drums - Denny Seiwell, Guitars - Dave Spinoza and Hugh McCracken, with mixing engineer "Eirik the Norwegian". It is Denny Seiwell's professionalism at these sessions which prompt Paul to invite him to join his band on a more permanent basis, to what will become ... "Wings".
Paul also utilised the New York Philharmonic Orchestra to augment three tracks, "Uncle Albert", "Long Haired Lady" and "Back Seat Of My Car". The last guest appearance was made by Linda's daughter Heather on "Monkberry Moon Delight".
Recording sessions for the album took place in New York, at the "A and R" studios between January and March 1971. As well as the 11 1/2 tracks for this album listed below, other tracks are recorded which will appear on future albums, singles, and some will remain unissued. The extra tracks recorded at these sessions are :
"Another Day" and "Oh Woman Oh Why", released as a single.
The first recorded version of "Seaside Woman" (a future single),
"Dear Friend" saved for the album "Wild Life",
"Get On The Right Thing", left until "Red Rose Speedway",
"Little Lamb Dragonfly" unfinished until the "Red Rose Speedway" sessions,
"Now Hear This Song Of Mine" released on "Brung To Ewe By",
"When The Wind Is Blowing" and "Sunshine Sometime" saved for "Rupert The Bear" years later,
and unreleased tracks, "A Love For You" and "Rode All Night" ... the latter evolved into a song given to Roger Daltrey called "Giddy".

With advance orders of over 100,000 "Ram" entered the U.K. charts straight in at number 1, where it knocked The Rolling Stones album "Sticky Fingers" off of the top slot. Unfortunately, after two weeks in pole position, Sticky Fingers regained it's place. Still, with the sales it did achieve, "Ram" is announced that it is the "Best Selling Album of the Month".

Paul and Linda filmed some home movies in January of the year, which later were edited together to become a "promo" video for the album. At the time in 1971, the top U.K. music T.V. programme was "Top Of The Pops" and it had an album slot, and it is here on 24th June that "3 Legs" and "Heart Of The Country" are shown in a very rare screening.

The highly glossy sleeve has artwork by Paul and photographs by Linda. The images include two beetles mating, and a very pointed picture of two clowns in Bags. Hidden on the front cover in the right-hand wavy design are the letters "L.I.L.Y." - "Linda I Love You".

There is also a rare limited edition "Ram" publicity single (1,000 copies) called Brung To Ewe By. It includes 15 short adverts by Paul and Linda which are intended as radio teasers, with a repetitive refrain of "Now hear this song of mine", plus sounds of the McCartney sheep bleating !

The album includes six tracks with joint husband and wife writing credits, which annoyed Lew Grade, who owned the publishing company. Linda has to undergo stringent interviews to state her part in the creation of the tracks.
More controversy (and publicity ?) occurs when John Lennon takes some of the tracks to be personal insults, and retaliates later in the year on the Imagine album with the tracks "How Do You Sleep" and "Crippled Inside".

Finally, Paul was so pleased with the tunes on "Ram", that he made a full orchestral re-make the same year under the pseudonym Percy "Thrills" Thrillington, although it wasn't released by E.M.I. until 1977.

On a personal note, I remember coming home from my local record shop on the day of release, and myself and my best friend (John Wane) played the album ... and ... didn't like it ! ... we were so disappointed.
Perhaps, we simply did not think it was as good as "McCartney" .... I nearly took it back to the shop.
Luckily, I played it again, and again, and realised what I hadn't heard the first time .... a great L.P.

Side 1

Too Many People (McCartney) 4:09

3 Legs (McCartney) 2:43

Ram On (McCartney) 2:27

Dear Boy (P.McCartney & L.McCartney) 2:11

Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (P.McCartney & L.McCartney) 4:48

Smile Away (McCartney) 3:56

Side 2

Heart Of The Country (P.McCartney & L.McCartney) 2:23

Monkberry Moon Delight (P.McCartney & L.McCartney) 5:23

Eat At Home (P.McCartney & L.McCartney) 3:20

Long Haired Lady (P.McCartney & L.McCartney) 6:04

Ram On (McCartney) 0:53

The Back Seat Of My Car (McCartney) 4:27

Source: http://www.jpgr.co.uk/pas10003.html

------------------
"Because there wasn't any reason left to keep it all inside"
- Paul McCartney, 1982
Amalthea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 05, 2002, 07:37 AM   #2
jtal909
Sun King

Default Re: Ram - 1971

It's my favorite Paul album.
It is still kind of Beatlesque while showing the solo side of Paul. Very colorful and distinguished cuts every one it's own personality (not unlike a Beatle record).

------------------
"Why don't you say it in your famous James Mason impersonation?" www.billyshearsband.com
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 05, 2002, 07:41 AM   #3
MaccaGirl
Taxman

The only think I can think that could possibly be need to add to this wonderful report is....
What the heck is a "monkberry moon delight"? From Shelli Bennion, North Highlands, CA, USA
When my kids were young they used to call milk, "monk", for whatever reason that kids do - I think it's magical the way that kids can develop better names for things than the real ones. In fact as a joke, Linda and I still occasionally refer to an object by that child-language name.
So, monk was always milk, and monkberry moon delight was a fantasy drink, rather like 'Love Potion No 9', hence the line in the song, "sipping monkberry moon delight". It was a fantasy milkshake. Being an American, Linda has always been very good at making milk shakes and our family is quite into them.
From Club Sandwich

------------------
"We've been calling it love, but it's a dream we're going through. And if I only had one love, yours would be the one I'd choose." --Heaven On A Sunday
Remove the Linda singing Hey Jude Page
Lilyflower (My Website)

[This Message Has Been Edited By MaccaGirl On July 05, 2002 07:42 AM]
MaccaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 05, 2002, 09:35 AM   #4
darkhorse
Sun King

This is my absolute favorite Paul album, and if it wasn't for "All Things Must Pass", "George Harrison" and "Cloud Nine" (he, he), it would be my favorite solo Beatles album as well. I'm always too enthusiastic when it comes to talk about it...

The most pleasant memory about this (heck, I bought about two years ago ) was staying up in a summer night listening to this one in my headphones... A hell of different noises! I was amazed. Like one could be from a Beatles album. I think Paul was enjoying himself again, and surprising us with a better, more finished effort than McCartney.

Sentimental reasons... when I bought this album (it was my third Macca purchase, after Off The Ground years ago, and All The Best! in the previous Xmas), a friend of our family was painting my room. He just needed some money so he could go out and do some mountain climbing, which was his favorite sport - he was an Andinist. He came into my room, heard the solo on "Too Many People" and said something like "hmmm... that's weird"... then took the CD which was on my nighttable and said: "did you buy this today?". I told him: "yes, but be careful, it's older than dad"... He laughed and said... "it's a good thing that you like classic rock, not many do". Himself didn't. It was the last memory I have from him. In July 20th, 2001, he died in a peruvian mountain from the Andes. I guess this CD brings back that last memory.

On a happier note, Cecilia might remember that when we first started being friends, we used to do this "album battles" in which we gave each song on each album a mark... then it turned out to big discussions, some of them are still not finished (I seriously think that "Keep Under Cover" is an awful track, and that "We All Stand Together" is classy and tender - she thinks the total opposite )... but we gave Ram marks too... Maybe she can remember better...

Oh I'm getting used to long posts I guess... just wanted to point that this link http://www.geocities.com/~hammodotco...oven/ramon.htm (I seem to recall that the webmaster of this fantastic site was a friend of Tim, correct me if I'm wrong Tim ), has the best reviews I've ever read from "Ram". Accurate and plain fair. Gotta love it.

Okay, just go and give it a listen... I will, myself.

------------------
"When all is still in the night and silence starts to flow,
Become or disbelieve me, left alone with my heart
I'm learning how to love you" ~ George '76
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 05, 2002, 09:37 AM   #5
darkhorse
Sun King

It turns out that I had posted long ago in this very same Forum, a Ram review... I will copy and paste it if you're interested...

1. Too Many People (Paul) The first part of the John vs. Paul song dispute, the lyrics are totally directed to Lennon ('that was your first mistake, you took your lucky break and broke it in two'), and are very powerful. In fact, I'd say they're one of Paul's best. The guitar solos also help the song to be even greater. Paul sings his throat out. High point.
2. 3 Legs (Paul) Another one talking about the break up ('my dog he got three legs, your dog he got none'), this one has kind of a bluesy air with some acoustic work also. Not one of my favorites but still good.
3. Ram On (Paul + Linda) Not actually a song, but instead some kind of link to glue "3 Legs" with "Dear Boy". It is driven by the repetition of the verse: 'ram on, give your heart to somebody, soon, right away, right away'. Paul plays the ukulele here and the harmonies are bright to say the least. Linda shines on this one. Gotta listen to it.
4. Dear Boy (Paul + Linda) My personal favorite. This song is driven by the piano, but also features interesting and unusual arrangements. The piano/guitar bridge, the fast guitar parts and most of all the harmony vocals (up there with the best harmonies from The Beatles era) are simply amazing and turn this into a hidden gem in Paul's discography. Lyrics again talking about the breakup: 'I hope you never know dear boy how much you missed'. Must must must must hear this one.
5. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (Paul + Linda) The first of the three mini-suites on this album, this is formed by the joint of two completely different songs spiced up with Paul's unusual way to talk about stuff. The lyrics are just weird, but when you come to analyze them, you realize that he's talking about his love for Linda and the importance that this has for him to share it with the world. "Uncle Albert" starts the symphony with very nice orchestral arrangements and the song is quite sad, until a "Birthday"-sounding piano opens the mood for "Admiral Halsey", an ode to 'live a little, be a gypsy, get around'. Hard for The Beatles to record this one (because the lyrics apparently go nowhere), but nonetheless a well deserved American #1 for sir Paul. No-one heard about this on the UK though.
6. Smile Away (Paul) The weakest link? Maybe. Paul laughs at himself ('man I can smell your feet a mile away') at a very rocking track that was later used by Wings on their first european tours. Not that great, but good anyway. Listen to Linda doing some "aiaiaiaiaia's" at the end of the song, and also the 'we're going quietly now' part. Good.
7. Heart Of The Country (Paul + Linda) Lovely ode to the roots. Some sort of "Mother Nature's Son Part II" because of the lyrics, but the music tells a completely different story. This one feels happier. Maybe Paul was happier and had found what he was looking for. Mainly an acoustic tune, with some scat singing at the 'badge'. Can be found on Wingspan, just like "Too Many People", "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" and "The Back Seat Of My Car" (Paul loved this album )
8. Monkberry Moon Delight (Paul + Linda) Wow. The lyrics are a complete unknown in this equation. I don't know what on Earth could Paul be possibly be talking about ('so I sat in the attic, a piano up my nose, and the wind played a dreadful cantata'), but the song is so good and Paul's vocal is so great (it will remind you of the ending of "Hey Jude" maybe) that you don't really want to know. Guitar riff sustained through all the song, and Linda shines, yet again. High point, and another hidden gem.
9. Eat At Home (Paul + Linda) I read somewhere that this song talked about Paul and Linda's addiction to sex at the time (they were newly-wed, who can blame them). This Buddy Holly-ish tune works out well as an album track. Again it leaves some spotlight for Linda's singing. The solos are wonderful (wonder if Paul played this ones or did the session guitarists).
10. Long Haired Lady (Paul + Linda) The second of the 'suites', this one is definitely and ode to Linda ('who's the lady who wears that brief occasional laughter?'), so the lyrics are great. Linda gets to sing a little too ('do you love me like you know you ought to do?') with her cheer-leader voice. She does it great, and the orchestra helps to enlarge the song until the 6.00 minutes, by the reiteration of a verse (Paul loved that apparently, hence "Hey Jude" and "The Back Seat Of My Car"), this time being 'love is long'. High point totally. There is an instrumental bootleg version flying around there that's also worth searching for.
11. Ram On (Paul) Shorter than the first one, this is mainly a 'reprise' and again a link between "Long Haired Lady" and the big ending. Note the: 'who's that coming 'round the corner' singing at the end: it's the beginning for the first song on Red Rose Speedway: "Big Barn Bed".
12. The Back Seat Of My Car (Paul) Well. You have to come to an end at some point. Paul does it great here, playing the role of a teenager. This is a teenager anthem totally ('we believe that we can't be wrong'), and the musical structure is just amazing. When you think everything is over, Paul comes back again screaming like hell ('no, no, no, we believe that we can't be wrong') and the orchestra is followed up by a strong guitar part and vice-versa and you just have to sing along with it. Here is a song that John in his inside must have liked. High, high, high point also.

And finally ... go here: http://www.paulmccartneyram.hpg.ig.c...dex_pri_1.html

Wonderful site, in tribute to this fantastic album.

------------------
"When all is still in the night and silence starts to flow,
Become or disbelieve me, left alone with my heart
I'm learning how to love you" ~ George '76

[This Message Has Been Edited By darkhorse On July 05, 2002 09:50 AM]
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 05, 2002, 09:41 AM   #6
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

Well, my macca ignorance has decreaseda little bit now, thanks alot MaccaGirl!

And Darky, thanks alot for posting again your personal review, and that link... you two job makes this post way better

------------------
"Because there wasn't any reason left to keep it all inside"
- Paul McCartney, 1982
Amalthea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 05, 2002, 06:25 PM   #7
MaccaGirl
Taxman

Anytime Amal.
I remember hearing somewhere that "Dear Boy" was written for Mel See. It does sort of make sense for part of the song.

------------------
"We've been calling it love, but it's a dream we're going through. And if I only had one love, yours would be the one I'd choose." --Heaven On A Sunday
Remove the Linda singing Hey Jude Page
Lilyflower (My Website)
MaccaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 05, 2002, 09:21 PM   #8
Cecilia
Old Brown Shoe

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By darkhorse:
On a happier note, Cecilia might remember that when we first started being friends, we used to do this "album battles" in which we gave each song on each album a mark...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yes... big discussions they were...

But I remember that we agreed that this is a great album, only that "3 Legs" isn't one if the best songs on this one (that was my review ). "Dear Boy" is a masterpiece, along with "Too Many People" and "The Back Seat Of My Car".

Of course, I had been searching it for a long time, and the first song that I heard, was "Uncle Albert Admiral Helsey" (from a recording made by my brother) when I was 11....and I loved it! Years later, I recorded "Monkberry Moon Delight" from the radio too (an awful recording,BTW),along with "The Back Seat Of My Car" and "Dear Boy" (another awful recording )...and I fell in love with this album . Discovering even great songs, was amazing...like "Long Haired Lady" and "Eat At Home". Definitely, one of my faves Macca albums

------------------
"Till the flowers stop a-growin', till the ocean's a sea of snow..." Paul McCartney, 1977
Cecilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2002, 11:59 AM   #9
Clark Kent
Sun King

I've never actually heard the album. It's the one that started the John-Paul thing, I know that because John did a pose with a pig to make fun of Paul's sheep picture.
"Too Many People" ("preaching fantasies") was one of the "agressor songs".

------------------
Clark Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2002, 12:34 AM   #10
FPSHOT
Sun King

My favourite Paul album.

Absolute Masterpiece to me.

Darkhorse's review tells it all.

------------------
Ohm.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2002, 08:19 AM   #11
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

A well written review of a truly high caliber, excellent album/CD.

One of the many things I like about Ram is the Beatle influence that is evident in Paul's work. In listening to this collection today, one can get the feeling that Paul has accepted and made peace with his Beatle past as opposed to trying to dodge it and forge a new identity. While such dodging would be understandable, I like the way Paul has certainly made peace with it and seems to derive genuine pleasure from it. In a recent interview I saw, (Jay Leno, 2002) Paul said he "puts himself in the audence's mind - what would the audience want him to play?" He performed a number of Beatle tunes during his 2002 concert. You can respect that.

Not only that, it's a treat to listen to it, too.

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2002, 08:39 AM   #12
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

I've always liked this album a lot, with the exception of "Three Legs" (dumb words) and "Eat at Home" (such awful out-of-tune singing!!).

"Too Many People" I loved the first time I heard it - great singing, great guitar solos, great lyrics. "Dear Boy" is cool - I love all the backing vocals, and again, the words are good. "Monkberry Moon Delight" is just fun, even if it's a bit silly, "Back Seat of My Car" has more great singing!

All in all, it's not my favorite McCartney album, but it's probably in the top 5!

------------------
I go back so far, I'm in front of me...
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2002, 03:41 PM   #13
jtal909
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By darkhorse:
The Back Seat Of My Car (Paul) Well. You have to come to an end at some point. Paul does it great here, playing the role of a teenager. This is a teenager anthem totally ('we believe that we can't be wrong'), and the musical structure is just amazing. When you think everything is over, Paul comes back again screaming like hell ('no, no, no, we believe that we can't be wrong') and the orchestra is followed up by a strong guitar part and vice-versa and you just have to sing along with it. Here is a song that John in his inside must have liked. High, high, high point also

[/b]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is a truly fantastic song. It is a rock opera anthem before Bruce started writing them.

------------------
"Why don't you say it in your famous James Mason impersonation?" www.billyshearsband.com
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2002, 12:38 AM   #14
Legs
Sun King

One of my favourite McCartney albums. Maybe some of the songs will take more then one listen before you get use to it, like Monkberry Moon Delight, but the music is great overall.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2002, 06:47 PM   #15
bearkat77
Administrator

Definitely one of Paul's best albums.

------------------

Bearkat77's Beatlemaniac Page
Bearkat77's Tribute to John Lennon
Bearkat77's Tribute to Ringo Starr
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2002, 06:49 PM   #16
Sgt.McCartney
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to Sgt.McCartney

I like most of the Ram album

Uncle Albert
Smile Away
Too Many People
Ram On

etc

------------------
...then there's this Welsh rarebit wearing some brown underpants...about the shortage of grain in Hertfordshire.
-Revolution 9
Sgt.McCartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2002, 11:28 AM   #17
Lynner

What a great album! Just listen to his voice on Dear Boy - simply beautiful. Was listening to "All the Best" this weekend and when Uncle Albert was played, I remembered again why I enjoy this album. Uncle Albert is probably the first Paul song I knew, even tho' at the time I didn't know that it was Paul. I was probably 9 or 10 at the time, and just remember thinking how fun this song was. Okay, so maybe I could live without the song 3 legs, but other than that...

------------------
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2002, 11:31 AM   #18
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Yeah, Paradise for the ears. I just love this one.

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2002, 02:57 PM   #19
L'Angelo Misterioso
Bulldog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By bearkat77:
Definitely one of Paul's best albums.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Best. IMHO

------------------
Past is gone, thou canst not that recall
Future is not, may not be at all
Present is, improve the flying hour
Present only is within thy power.
L'Angelo Misterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2002, 07:06 AM   #20
IAN TATERSHALL
Apple Scruff

DARK HORSE: "This is my absolute favorite Paul album, and if it wasn't for "All Things Must Pass", "George Harrison" and "Cloud Nine" (he, he), it would be my favorite solo Beatles album as well. I'm always too enthusiastic when it comes to talk about it..." - I second that completely. I couldn't have put it any better.

------------------
IAN TATERSHALL is offline   Reply With Quote